AC Time Attack Challenge 2.0 - see post #590 for a link to a Boxing Day event with the Alfa GTA

I tried various things but after trying to lay down times for the RSR boards, in race cars at least, I found out that you basically get one fast lap, maybe two on the softest compound and only if you mess it up can you beat it on successive laps. Part of it is excessive heat and part is slight wear I think. So I basically put a few litres of fuel in...do testing and tuning for 3 or 4 laps and when I'm ready I usually only do 1 or 2 lap runs with tire blankets on for preheating. Not sure if street tires are the same but I'm just keeping the same habit for good measure.

I wonder what the effect of have tyre wear off would be... I am guessing it would make driving it worse (on some compounds anyway). I usually sit have fuel consumption off (but I run a few litres), and ran with tyre wear on. I may play around with the setup a little actually, just want to dial out the low speed understeer I think

If you teleport back to the pits you can see them. Or download one of the HUD apps like DashmeterPro. Rivali has one that shows temps but from reading the comments it needs to be updated after 1.3. Danny Giusa has one but I've never used it.

Finally improved my time by a little bit.
1-51-666_Lambo.jpg

And with that it's off to bed.
And yes, it's me Whitestar. Just changed my avatar, lol.

Either my street-tire lap was flying, or I just can't find much more with semi-slicks...
2015-10-20_00001.jpg

But I do have to agree with @Johnnypenso, you get 1 good lap early it seems, then try as hard as you might, it becomes increasingly difficult as tire temp/wear come into play. This will probably be my final time, too many other things I want to do in other sims yet. :lol:

@Gravitron This was for you, forgot to tag you
Yep, saw that, and thanks. 👍 Now I know how to find the temps, but how do you know the optimal temp for a given tire? I'll have to mess with some of these apps sooner or later.

I'm at 1:53.4 from last night's session, still running stock, but I think I still have quite a bit more time to find, starting another session now.

Does it matter whether we run in Hotlap mode or Practice mode?

Attachments

• 2015-10-19_00001.jpg
    2015-10-19_00001.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 17
Yep, saw that, and thanks. 👍 Now I know how to find the temps, but how do you know the optimal temp for a given tire? I'll have to mess with some of these apps sooner or later.

I'm at 1:53.4 from last night's session, still running stock, but I think I still have quite a bit more time to find, starting another session now.

Does it matter whether we run in Hotlap mode or Practice mode?
I think the only difference is hotlap mode starts you behind the finish line and also has ghost cars enabled.

63f2954679.jpg

A little more progress today.

Last edited:
Found another 1sec, but the penultimate chicane was awful and almost threw me into the pits. :lol:

This is good experience, it gives me a feel for what the new WRS'ers are feeling. :dunce:

Oh, and I miss the suggested-gear-flashy-thing from GT. :scared: Learning brake markers from the track always takes a while...

2015-10-20_00004.jpg

Last edited:
Being honest, my best time was achieved with tyre wear and fuel consumption off. At least I think fc was off. I turned it off in the options, but somehow still saw that fuel icon when driving. Also, I used Johnny's ini settings. TCS off, ABS on, 26 degrees.

Really impressed with the guys at the top of the list. Looking at some replays, I didn't feel that my own driving was vastly different, but I guess it's all about those small details, putting them all together, adding up to a better lap time.

Lately I've been working on how to get less "tyre scrape" or whatever they call it. That is, over-turning the wheel because I came in too hot. I think I can improve my driving and lap times if I'm just a little bit more reserved when turning in. But finding that balance is damn hard. Do give tips if you have any. :)

Being honest, my best time was achieved with tyre wear and fuel consumption off. At least I think fc was off. I turned it off in the options, but somehow still saw that fuel icon when driving. Also, I used Johnny's ini settings. TCS off, ABS on, 26 degrees.

Really impressed with the guys at the top of the list. Looking at some replays, I didn't feel that my own driving was vastly different, but I guess it's all about those small details, putting them all together, adding up to a better lap time.

Lately I've been working on how to get less "tyre scrape" or whatever they call it. That is, over-turning the wheel because I came in too hot. I think I can improve my driving and lap times if I'm just a little bit more reserved when turning in. But finding that balance is damn hard. Do give tips if you have any. :)
Try and be smooth and committed into corners, find good reference points to brake so you can brake close to limit and be consistent. Carry as much speed as you can into and out of corners with as minimal steering input while still making the apex using all the road (Go with the flow).

Keep minimum speed up and also get a clean exit by getting the car turned in then getting hard on the power, point below it starts breaking traction and having minimal steering input should help then. Should not have much time difference between going on brakes to going on power, if you left foot brake then it is easier to be faster.

Try and understand better what force feedback is telling you, whether tyres are gripping or not. That way you will know whether to put in more or less steering input and when you can get on power by visualising the track ahead. Then you will feel at one with car.

Last edited:
Forgive me for asking what's probably a foolish question...n00b alert!

Is there a difference between "Practice" or "Challenges > Hotlap"? The only difference I can find is that when you select Challenges > Hotlap, you can turn Ghost on or off. But, is there any difference in running laps for this Time Attack event?

EDIT: Nevermind. Question was answered in a post above...

Boy, I have my work cut out for me...I am completely unfamiliar with the track and I am missing braking zones left and right in this car. I'm running 54's right now... :embarrassed: :(

Last edited:
Forgive me for asking what's probably a foolish question...n00b alert!

Is there a difference between "Practice" or "Challenges > Hotlap"? The only difference I can find is that when you select Challenges > Hotlap, you can turn Ghost on or off. But, is there any difference in running laps for this Time Attack event?

EDIT: Nevermind. Question was answered in a post above...

Boy, I have my work cut out for me...I am completely unfamiliar with the track and I am missing braking zones left and right in this car. I'm running 54's right now... :embarrassed: :(
If you aren't already using one, you might try the Tire Temps app above. It's pretty easy to cook the tires in this car and once they overheat they lose a lot of grip and it's pointless to continue hotlapping until you either let them cool down a bit or just restart. It's a pretty tough track too, lots of corners and any one of them blown usually adds up to a lot of time lost. You can use the tire marks on the entry to the corners as your braking reference point for the most part, or marks on the curbs. There are a couple of videos in post #2 showing completely different ways to attack the track as well, with near identical times.

Good luck:cheers:

I'm currently using the Tire Temp app that's part of the RIVALI OV1 INFO APP 4.1 and you're right, the tires on this car get quite hot, fairly easily. That's definitely part of my problem thus far. I can't seem to put together a single lap where I keep the tires at a safe temperature. Every lap has at least one screw up where I'm either coming in too hot, or I'm on the gas too early and I light up the rears... It's frustrating! I don't expect to be able to compete with you guys...even in GT6 I was never that fast...but I know I'm better than my time currently indicates. I just need to keep practicing.

Forgive me for the horrible quality photo. I don't know what I did. Normally my Galaxy S6 takes wonderful photos. First off, there are some seriously good times on the leader board. Wow! :eek: I was starting to do better, more consistent, but my times were still in the high 53s or low 54s... I had just done another session without any significant improvement, but then I remembered that I had been using the @Johnnypenso setup much earlier today, but I had forgot to apply it tonight. So, I fired up the car again for another handful of laps and was able to improve my time by just over a full second. Thanks for the setup, Johnny! 1:52.634 is my time for now...

JP_TA_Countach_Vallenuga.jpg

EDIT: Ugh...I gotta remember that I'm playing a PC game and can take screenshots much easier than a photo with my phone... :banghead: :dunce:

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that TC, ABS, ESC were all turned off and I used Johnny's recommended track time/settings.

Last edited:
I`m out of time for this round as I`m off to the coast for the weekend. Well done to everyone!👍 A great turn out! Really looking forward to next weeks combo!
:cheers:

When does the weekly reset occur? I’ve been busy or dead tired after work this week and still haven’t tried the challenge…

When does the weekly reset occur? I’ve been busy or dead tired after work this week and still haven’t tried the challenge…
Sunday, midnight, Eastern Standard Time. There is a time converter in the OP if you're uncertain what time that is where you live.

Well, I've been doing a few laps on this. I've been wanting to get in to AC for a while and thought this was a good idea. Never driven Vallelunga before, or really done anything with AC outside of some laps of Trento and some Quattro laps of...I've forgotten.

I like the circuit, the first double right after the opening straight-kink-straight is very tricky, so much time there. That final chicane always feels so slow...

Countach%20at%20Vallelunga_zpsb7uhhe4m.jpg

I'm sure I can get in to the 50s, but not sure I'll have time before deadline.

Latest Posts

Back