Access GT Planet Media

Silver_Wolf

Nice! Let's do it again when you level up!
Premium
Scotland
Dundee, Scotland
Afternoon!

Have a question/suggestion regarding GT Planet forums.

I've only just recently started using the Media section of GT Planet and now that I am aware of it I plan to be using it a lot more but I can't seem to
find a quick way to access it from within the forum's section of the site and have to use a separate bookmark or Google search so I wondered if I am
missing something obvious within the forum pages or shall I just continue to use the Media bookmark?

Thanks for reading and any replies!

Afternoon!

Have a question/suggestion regarding GT Planet forums.

I've only just recently started using the Media section of GT Planet and now that I am aware of it I plan to be using it a lot more but I can't seem to
find a quick way to access it from within the forum's section of the site and have to use a separate bookmark or Google search so I wondered if I am
missing something obvious within the forum pages or shall I just continue to use the Media bookmark?

Thanks for reading and any replies!
I've always found the easiest way is to click on your avatar, and then the link right below the display that says media. Alternately if not on a page where you can see your avatar (as in a status or post...) It's probably easiest to click your profile on the top crossbar.

Hope this helps. :)

I've always found the easiest way is to click on your avatar, and then the link right below the display that says media. Alternately if not on a page where you can see your avatar (as in a status or post...) It's probably easiest to click your profile on the top crossbar.

Hope this helps. :)

Yes it does thanks, probably should have though about that myself but that will work for me!

Yes it does thanks, probably should have though about that myself but that will work for me!
I recall having a very similar question soon after media was implemented in the first place. I would agree it's tough to find, and it's probably the only thing I've ever struggled with on this site.

It's linked in the "Forums" drop-down menu in the site header:

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 2.00.16 PM.png

I've just dropped back in for a while again.

I am happy that a search for "img" (narrowed down by my userid) finds sutiable posts.
(I'd like to eliminate my photobucket links).

However, I find dead image links like...
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=NNN&pictureid=NNNNN

Are those now lost forever?
Or if I can give you the NNN for albumid, can you "unlock" it somehow?

Strangely, I didn't keep redundant copies of those postings.
Well, maybe I did, but the lack of any "picture name" makes it impossible for me to determine what particular images would have been.

I can take a look.

Can you share where you're finding the dead image links?

Okay. Thanks for the definitive information. That's what I get for dropping away for a while, I guess.

I'm not sure I've made personal archives of any PSP related pictures. Oh well.

Edit: Actually, I think I've found an archive of what I uploaded. In a directory gtp-2020-01-14

Last edited:
Interesting; if I do post a hotlink here to my personal webspace, you (i,e, the forum software) sort of stick a proxy in front of it.

But I replaced most of my old photobucket links with attachments instead.

Oh! So is the proxy why should-be-dead photobucket links appeared to keep working?

Sorry for the double-post, but this has more extra information than an "edit" warrants.

That's correct.

Since December of 2018, any images embedded to forum posts are cached by GTPlanet's servers indefinitely. You can read more about this here. Images posted before that date will still be cached indefinitely, so long as someone viewed them after that date to put a copy of them into the cache. If they have gone missing, of course there is no way for the cache to get a copy and the image link will remain broken.

Of course, indefinite image caching is not something that I can guarantee. Although I don't plan on doing it, the cache could be flushed for any reason in the future. The most reliable way to permanently host images here will always be to upload them directly to the post as attachments.

Back