Adaptive tessellation is real!

bashfulboson

(Banned)
New Zealand
New Zealand
I try to figure it out how it works
here is what I did
I go into replay photo mode and try to view the car in different aspect
I found that depending on angles and distance you were standing relative to the car
the car model actually changes its geometry in order to optimize graphically

check out the video

Kind of cool, but ideally wouldn't you want the edges to be smooth no matter what distance you look at them from?

I don't remember GT5 having such bad hexagonal type edges in photo mode. I that a standard car?

Kind of cool, but ideally wouldn't you want the edges to be smooth no matter what distance you look at them from?

I don't remember GT5 having such bad hexagonal type edges in photo mode. I that a standard car?
Its a Ferrari Dino, one of the newer premiums. However when the photo is taken it maxes out the polygons so it looks as best as it can anyway. :)

just to remind you
the photo mode in replay is different from photo travel
in reply photo mode, the car model is downgraded to LOD 1, which has only 100,000 polygons
1/5 polygon count of full detail model

I try to figure it out how it works
here is what I did
I go into replay photo mode and try to view the car in different aspect
I found that depending on angles and distance you were standing relative to the car
the car model actually changes its geometry in order to optimize graphically

check out the video

What kind of BS is that? Nothing changed. From what I see here the amount of vertex in the wheel arch or the light didn't increase at all, it did not get any more rounder. You can count the number of angle around the wheel and they remained the same at every zoom level.

yes
I notice that too
even though it looked not as good as in photo travel model, when you actually took the photo it will automatically replace it by the most detailed model rather than LOD 1 model.
There are not LODs used with adaptive tesellation. The same base model is rendered in infinite steps in real-time depending of the distance to the camera. In photomode the car is rendered with more steps along with the increased resolutión and antialiasing.

It's a great technology that release rendering resources when are not required (high detailed models in the distance) increasing the visual quality and saving resources avoiding to load all the alternate car LODs into the memory.

This is a cool effect, render useless by the ammount of time it takes to process. I had always assumed that the adaptive tessellation effect was instantaneous.

This is a cool effect, render useless by the ammount of time it takes to process. I had always assumed that the adaptive tessellation effect was instantaneous.
it's instantaneous
I used some trick to confuse the system so it won't change as quick as it should be
try this by your self
choose a premium car
try to walk toward the car, as you get closer you shall see the changing geometry
it is best seen at right angles like front, side and back
then you will see the instant change
if you stand at 45 degree angle, it could really confuse the system that slows down it

I've noticed it has some weird effects during races. Premium cars in the front appear as if their doors are missing/damaged.

That is incredible, haven't really noticed it until you made this video!

wyof.jpg

Adaptive tessellation isn't a new concept to video games at all, but the fact that we notice it, and see it change, isn't something we should applaud. This should be happening much faster, and we shouldn't be seeing the transition this easily. It should be happening earlier in the zoom in, so it seems like a seamless change. It should be an easy adjustment for them. Either that, or it's just so slow to load the newly tessellated geometry, that the PS3 just can't update quick enough.

This same tessellation happens during render times using the V-Ray render engine as well, where you can adjust how much a surface will subdivide based on how far it is from your render camera. The closer you get, the more it subdivides, but with the right settings, you'll never actually see the switch.

You can see the Adaptive Tessellation work right in front of you, if you drive the XNR Ghia Roadster, in cockpit view.
The cockpit starts out really smooth, but once you get closer to other cars, it gets down sampled until it becomes really jaggy. Its a shame I can't show you a video.

just to remind you
the photo mode in replay is different from photo travel
in reply photo mode, the car model is downgraded to LOD 1, which has only 100,000 polygons
1/5 polygon count of full detail model

That explains why the wheel arches weren't smooth, nor the wheel rims.

sorry for this stupid question, but what's the point of having adaptive tesselations? does it affect aerodynamics or what is it supposed to be used for?

Yeah, i've noticed the adaptive tessellation when I drive the ford gt40 mk.1 and during gameplay (in third person view), you can see the exhaust become hexagonal cylinders and aren't round especially when there are other cars nearby.

sorry for this stupid question, but what's the point of having adaptive tesselations? does it affect aerodynamics or what is it supposed to be used for?

Lol. It downgrades a model based on distance to has processing power, a car that takes up 40x40 pixels on the screen doesn't need to be 500,000 polys. :) because you can't see them, so rather it will downgrade it to like 500 polys, do that it can draw a thousand times faster, and you can't even see the difference. :D and this OP "hacked" the PS3 so that he could see if PD was really telling the truth.

Lol. It downgrades a model based on distance to has processing power, a car that takes up 40x40 pixels on the screen doesn't need to be 500,000 polys. :) because you can't see them, so rather it will downgrade it to like 500 polys, do that it can draw a thousand times faster, and you can't even see the difference. :D and this OP "hacked" the PS3 so that he could see if PD was really telling the truth.
I see! thanks for the explanation! pretty neat stuff but nothing that I could probably care for myself xD

I've noticed it has some weird effects during races. Premium cars in the front appear as if their doors are missing/damaged.
I've noticed this too. I'm not sure if it has to do with the tessellation or not. I'm sure it can be patched. It kind of bugs me when I see that, lol.

Back