Advice for changing to DS4 Trigger Controls

I did a search and couldn't find anything with this specific issue. I've played GT since the first game, using X and Square for gas and brake. Obviously, I'm sacrificing a lot of finesse by sticking with that on the PS4 without sensitive buttons.

I've tried changing to R2 and L2 for gas and brake, but the X and Square (I think) gearshifting was so unintuitive and frustrating for me. Is there anyone else that has this problem? I know the best advice is to just stick with it and practice the new controls, but if there is a better option for remapping the gear change buttons, I'd rather try that now rather than getting accustomed to bad ones (for me).

I did a search and couldn't find anything with this specific issue. I've played GT since the first game, using X and Square for gas and brake. Obviously, I'm sacrificing a lot of finesse by sticking with that on the PS4 without sensitive buttons.

I've tried changing to R2 and L2 for gas and brake, but the X and Square (I think) gearshifting was so unintuitive and frustrating for me. Is there anyone else that has this problem? I know the best advice is to just stick with it and practice the new controls, but if there is a better option for remapping the gear change buttons, I'd rather try that now rather than getting accustomed to bad ones (for me).

I use L3 for steering and R3 for gas/ brake, L1 and R1 for up/down shifting gears . Make sure you set the sensitivity of the DS properly if you try this setup. This is a very intuituve map for me.

I use the left stick for steering and the right stick for accelerating and braking. Don’t use the buttons! If you do that you can map the triggers for changing gear.

My issue with the right analog as the gas/brake is that I find myself using gas + brake at the same time a lot for quick adjustments — using the right stick doesn't allow this because gas and brake are at polar opposites of the same input

I feel your pain, I'm going through this transition too!

I was in exactly the same situation when I got GT Sport. I really didn't think I would get the hang of shifting with x and square, but I persevered and now it seems totally natural. It took a few days but I am now faster than I ever was.

I would avoid using the right stick for throttle/brake as it will make trail braking under throttle impossible.

My issue with the right analog as the gas/brake is that I find myself using gas + brake at the same time a lot for quick adjustments — using the right stick doesn't allow this because gas and brake are at polar opposites of the same input

That’s a fair point o do sometimes find myself moving it back and forth quite quickly.

How it is even possible to drive with buttons?
How can you go through a corner with rwd?

It's actually not that bad at all IMO. It's def not as fast as trigger and wheel but you can still get the job done. Honestly though I think steering with the D-pad makes things harder rather than the X and Square for gas/brake.

Been playing this way since GT2. I'm trying to learn the triggers too so good luck prescription7.

Last edited:

Triggers for gas and brake and map the RIGHT stick for changing gear. I find it to be perfect.

When the stick is used for accelerating and braking, you can't do both at the same time. With the triggers as gas and brake, you can just dab the brakes when needed without letting up on the gas.

With the right stick for gear shift, it's like a little sequential shifter at your fingertips. You'll be surprised how quick you grow to it.

I was in exactly the same situation when I got GT Sport. I really didn't think I would get the hang of shifting with x and square, but I persevered and now it seems totally natural. It took a few days but I am now faster than I ever was.

I would avoid using the right stick for throttle/brake as it will make trail braking under throttle impossible.
I don't think trail braking is imposible with my setup, I can do it and even somekind of heel toe emulation by giving the stick a little push forward when downshifting. This is very useful when I play without abs in order to not lock the wheels.

Also I think L1 and R1 works nice for changing gears because those buttons are more digital, so it is faster for me to change gear an are positioned like in real cars sequentials padels: left and right.

I also use L1 gas, r1 brake- right stick shift up and down. Any trigger users change sensitivity?? I haven't messed with those settings but I wonder if changing some of the sensitivity would make me better with throttle control, same for steering- any change these for the better??

I also use L1 gas, r1 brake- right stick shift up and down. Any trigger users change sensitivity?? I haven't messed with those settings but I wonder if changing some of the sensitivity would make me better with throttle control, same for steering- any change these for the better??

I have my sensitivity at max (7)... it takes a bit to get used to, but when you do get used to it, it is about as fast as it can get. It helped me anyways!

Cheers

I got a bit faster by changing sensitivity to +2.
Higher than that and its too easy to scrub tyres and lose speed.

I am often tapping the buttons on corner exit and am always prepared to come off the gas. But yeah, it's tricky, and driving with TCS less than ~2 is very hard with the buttons (for me) so I almost always have some amount of TCS.

Triggers for gas and brake and map the RIGHT stick for changing gear. I find it to be perfect.

When the stick is used for accelerating and braking, you can't do both at the same time. With the triggers as gas and brake, you can just dab the brakes when needed without letting up on the gas.

With the right stick for gear shift, it's like a little sequential shifter at your fingertips. You'll be surprised how quick you grow to it.
I'll give this a try, and I'm glad I asked!

And it probably goes without saying, but practice with AT until you feel comfortable with triggers and then start blending in MT shifting. The right analog stick sequential is a really good idea...

my advice is to practice drifting with the new button layouts, that helped me a lot when GT5 first came out, it'll help you get used to it and eventually you can take it to time trials. It helps a lot with throttle modulation and will also help your car control skills when someone inevitably bumps you, I've saved many races with slide control. It's nice to be able to gas, brake, turn, downshift, and e-brake all at the same time. is that last one necessary, probably not lol.

Just practice and hope that you can get used to it. For me, triggers to accelerate, buttons to shift and motion control to steer is the best way on controller.

I don't know.... but i got a friend who is very very quick with buttons and i don't know he does it.... it's not for me... just give me triggers..:P

I had to switch from using buttons over to the triggers for GTS. At first I wasn't happy about this after years of playing the other way but it really didn't take that long of an adjustment period to make the switch.
Now that I'm completely comfortable with the triggers I'm finding it much better than my old way and I should have done it years ago.

I had to switch from using buttons over to the triggers for GTS. At first I wasn't happy about this after years of playing the other way but it really didn't take that long of an adjustment period to make the switch.
Now that I'm completely comfortable with the triggers I'm finding it much better than my old way and I should have done it years ago.
^^^This, all day long!

I use X and Square for throttle and brake, L2/R2 for shifting and left stick for steering. My right stick is mapped so I can look around inside the cockpit.

I have tried and tried to change to L2/R2 for throttle/brake, but my dumb brain gets all confused and sends me into the wall.

I just persevered and can be pretty quick, no assists apart from ABS.

Gr.1 cars are my nemesis though...

L2 + R2 for brake and throttle, L1 + R1 for gear shifts.

Back