AI Aggression?PS4 

• Thread starter slthree
  • 23 comments
United States
Fact Central Florida
slthree
I'm regularly having races ruined by the AI ramming me from behind, thus pushing me into the barriers and causing enough damage to force me to pit.

I always thought the lower the aggression the fewer stupid chances the AI would take. Is my view incorrect?

Do I have to turn the AI higher to prevent it from ramming me so much?

I currently have it set at 35

I'm regularly having races ruined by the AI ramming me from behind, thus pushing me into the barriers and causing enough damage to force me to pit.

I always thought the lower the aggression the fewer stupid chances the AI would take. Is my view incorrect?

What skill level do you use (not aggression)?

I use 1 of 2 settings depending on car/track combinations, either 90/75 or 100/50 & have relatively good races.

I always set the Aggression to 100 and just alter the other setting (between a very wide range) depending on my track and car knowledge. I try to follow a slightly different line to the AI on corner entry which prevents the ramming from behind.

That's weird, I don't think I've ever been rammed from behind by the AI, in most cases I feel like they could be more aggressive when it comes to making moves up the inside.

Perhaps try decreasing the skill slider, your corner entry speeds might be significantly mismatched.

I always set the Aggression to 100 and just alter the other setting (between a very wide range) depending on my track and car knowledge. I try to follow a slightly different line to the AI on corner entry which prevents the ramming from behind.
After reading your post and the other 2, it makes me think that I am the problem more than the AI

It's possible I'm making more than one defensive move and deserve to be hit. I'm definitely going to take your advice and try to take a slightly different line than the AI cars

That's weird, I don't think I've ever been rammed from behind by the AI, in most cases I feel like they could be more aggressive when it comes to making moves up the inside.

Perhaps try decreasing the skill slider, your corner entry speeds might be significantly mismatched.
Thanks RJ! You are the third person, all of whom I respect, that's led to lead me to believe I'm at fault.

I think my mistake is moving a little bit too much to prevent passing.

That's weird, I don't think I've ever been rammed from behind by the AI.

@slthree - rj5992 is a much faster and more skilful driver than me so it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't have a problem with being rammed from behind!

sl - watch the multiple posts - the Mods are not keen on that - they expect you to add extra thoughts to your previous post via the Edit function unless someone else has posted in the meantime.

I'm embarrassed to say my skill level is quite low, usually between 50 and 75.
No reason to be embarrassed mate, just because I run higher skill doesn't make me a better driver :), I just get more of a enjoyment having a fight to reach the top 10 or 5 than running off with a victory.

Give it a try, boost up your skill to 90 or 100 but drop the aggression down to 0 just as an experiment, try and overtake as many as you can on the 1st lap (cleanly of course) then you might find you'll have to defend your position for the rest of the race.

I always find defending more of a pressure than attacking, really gets the heart going :)

@Sick Cylinder if there is a way to reply to three different people in one post, I would love to know about it.

I don't want to break any forum rules if I can avoid it

@Sick Cylinder if there is a way to reply to three different people in one post, I would love to know about it.

@slthree You can highlight someone's username multiple times like this.

@Sick Cylinder Hi Sick.

@rj5992 Hi rg.

Or you can use the +Quote button like this.

And reply

@slthree - rj5992 is a much faster and more skilful driver than me so it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't have a problem with being rammed from behind!

sl - watch the multiple posts - the Mods are not keen on that - they expect you to add extra thoughts to your previous post via the Edit function unless someone else has posted in the meantime.

To individual quotes

Like this :)

@slthree
The aggression doesn't make them any faster/better. One of the things I think it does is reduce the size of the collision detection area around the cars so they back off later. If set too high they start crashing into each other - especially on the first corner. It's the skill level that gives them their overall speed/abilities.

I try to replicate the experience of my league races (which you've joined in on occasions :)) so that I get quite close racing without getting excessive contact.
So generally I use skill 77 & aggression 66 if I do my usual start from the back and try to work my way forward. It seems to provide a happy medium. If starting from nearer the front I'd increase the skill level.
I don't get too much interference with my rear end!

The thing with the AI is to treat them like they are human drivers. Give them room, don't barge your way forward (especially at the start), back off from divebomb challenges and don't defend to heavily. You'll get a much better race and more realistic experience out of them then.
I even give them places back if I knock them off track - although they are sometimes a bit thick in accepting it!

And as Mr Grumpy says hit the +Plus Quote button on each post you want to reply to and then click on the Insert Quotes button to add them all to your edit window. 👍

I use skill level 120 and aggression between 20-30.
Jammy, of course, would like the skill slider to go much further to the right. :P

@slthree
snip...
The thing with the AI is to treat them like they are human drivers. Give them room, don't barge your way forward (especially at the start), back off from divebomb challenges and don't defend to heavily. You'll get a much better race and more realistic experience out of them then.
I even give them places back if I knock them off track - although they are sometimes a bit thick in accepting it!

...snip

The bolded part is really important if you want to have a good time with the bots. One thing that you have to watch out for is that when they are committed to making a move, they are commited. If you take a defensive line early when you know you will be in trouble and they look like they are thinking about making an impossible move far to the inside of the inside line even if it means throwing it off the track and taking both of you to the wall... they are going to do it.

I usually get better results in those situations by moving back over to the normal line and giving both of us room to go side by side on the black stuff and even letting them go through on the way in. I often will just go right back past them when their combination of fast in/slow out style and diving up the inside at any cost ends up murdering their exit speed instead of my bodywork.

A big issue I have with the AI is no matter what I have either slider set to, as soon as I'm past one they never mount much of an effort to retake the position. I could be closing in on say, the leader, for lap after lap, inch by inch, but if/when I finally do get past they'll just drop back most of the time, as if their speed suddenly drops off. It doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd love to have a genuine fear of them retaking the place but sadly it doesn't happen too often.

I've been playing at 95-105 skill and 50 aggression a lot recently.

Also I read somewhere that if skill is over 80 (over was it 100) AI's start using custom setups before that they use stock setups(?).

Also I read somewhere that if skill is over 80 (over was it 100) AI's start using custom setups before that they use stock setups(?).
I also think it's 80 and I don't put it above that for that reason. I use stock setups because tuning is hard so I'd like an even playing field. I'm not that fast anyway so 80 skill is fine. I think I have it at 79 just to be safe, thinking 80 is when the tuning starts

It depends what class you race in as I find more downforce makes the AI harder to beat, so if I run in GT3 for example, I'll set the AI to 85, whereas if I jump in the Procar or F40 LM or Mono I'll crank it to 95+.
If the AI cars don't have loads of grip they struggle to go through corners as fast as they should IMO.

@slthree You can highlight someone's username multiple times like this.

@Sick Cylinder Hi Sick.

@rj5992 Hi rg.

Or you can use the +Quote button like this.

And reply

To individual quotes

Like this :)

I believe I finally got it! When I tap the button, we'll know for sure

@slthree
The aggression doesn't make them any faster/better. One of the things I think it does is reduce the size of the collision detection area around the cars so they back off later. If set too high they start crashing into each other - especially on the first corner. It's the skill level that gives them their overall speed/abilities.

I try to replicate the experience of my league races (which you've joined in on occasions :)) so that I get quite close racing without getting excessive contact.
So generally I use skill 77 & aggression 66 if I do my usual start from the back and try to work my way forward. It seems to provide a happy medium. If starting from nearer the front I'd increase the skill level.
I don't get too much interference with my rear end!

And as Mr Grumpy says hit the +Plus Quote button on each post you want to reply to and then click on the Insert Quotes button to add them all to your edit window. :tup:QUOTE]

Thank you for explaining this. I tried so many times, unsuccessfully until you mentioned the "insert quotes" button. I completely missed that.

This thread helped me a lot because most of you have very sound approaches to the AI. I was not treating them like human drivers but I will now.

One thing that you have to watch out for is that when they are committed to making a move, they are commited. If you take a defensive line early when you know you will be in trouble and they look like they are thinking about making an impossible move far to the inside of the inside line even if it means throwing it off the track and taking both of you to the wall... they are going to do it.

I usually get better results in those situations by moving back over to the normal line and giving both of us room to go side by side on the black stuff and even letting them go through on the way in. I often will just go right back past them when their combination of fast in/slow out style and diving up the inside at any cost ends up murdering their exit speed instead of my bodywork.
Good advice. I've been making silly mistakes by not using your method. This will definitely help shape how I drive in the future.

@Sick Cylinder Thank you for looking out for me. I value these forums and the people in them.

I believe I finally got it! When I tap the button, we'll know for sure
So very nearly. :P

I think you must have replied to me and Morgoth inside the quote marker brackets. You need to be on a separate line outside of the brackets for each reply otherwise it gets mixed in with the text you are quoting. I still got the alert though.

Yes - it is 80. Default setups are used by the AI until 79.

Oddly I did some oval racing at Daytona yesterday and the AI lapped slower when I increased them from 75/100 to 100/100!

I will double check this and report back!

35-40 aggression is the ideal spot. Keep difficulty not bellow 65 or so anyway, and keep adjusting it depending on the class and the track, as you know inconsistency is law when it comes to AI in this game, but the lower or higher levels of aggression you choose seem to work consistently across the board regardless.

There are categories (FR and FA, and GT3 depending on the track too), where you will have to raise AI difficulty up to 100 or so, but you can still keep that 40-50 level of aggression and have an incredible race against cpu.

Yes - it is 80. Default setups are used by the AI until 79.

Oddly I did some oval racing at Daytona yesterday and the AI lapped slower when I increased them from 75/100 to 100/100!

I will double check this and report back!
Once thing i noticed when using the ai to practice indy for a league race was that if you set the aggression high they will cut the corners. This is evident by all the dirt that gets dragged onto the track. This in turn had an impact on my own lap times. Perhaps this is the driver for what you observed?

I think when i turned the ai aggression down to about 50 to 60 they stopped cutting corners and it became more realistic.

Indy is a good track for proving things like this because you are normally measuring variances in hundredths of seconds or less as variables like braking and line choice are greatly reduced or eliminated.

Edit. They also could be trying moves on each other that aren't on and slow themselves down.

Last edited:
Back