Ai Difficulty Settings

• Thread starter MowTin
  • 65 comments
One frustration I have is adjusting he Ai difficulty to enjoy a competitive race. If it's too low, you're in front of the pack racing by yourself. If it's too high, it's frustrating because you're way behind by yourself again.

It seems like ideally in any race there should be a wide distribution of fast and slow cars so you can keep the difficulty at the same level and challenge yourself to place higher and higher.

Of course in real life the difference between the fastest and slowest times is tiny but for a game wouldn't it be best to be able to not only choose the difficulty but also the standard deviation or spread of opponent times?

Am I missing something? I don't know jack about this.

Sounds like you just need to find the skill level that is best for you. If 70 is too easy and 90 is too hard then maybe you need to put it on 80 and tweak it from there. With there being 100 variations of difficulty, surely there is one that will put you in the middle of the pack.

There is no 'perfect' AI setup.
You have to find a setting that challenges you.

I remember playing with AI settings for hours in Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 20 years ago.
Some things just do not change.

I still am finding the AI rams into the back of me way too often, even with the aggression turned way down. Also a lot of corner cutting.

They got PC1 AI sorted out so I am sure they will do the same with this. In fact, they could have used the same AI as PC1 and I would have been okay with it. The only bad thing with PC1 AI I found was when actually passing someone, they would sometimes go really wide and slow down.

I am using 70-76.
It depends on the car you are using (some classes are unbalanced), it depends on the category you are using (some the AI are masters) and it depends on the conditions (they drive a bit slower on rain, and if the rain is stopping or starting they are incredible grippy.. I mean they manage very well at using dry tires on wet or wet tires on dry, especially the former).

If it is a road car, I suggest to turn -3 the AI level. If it is raining with no transition to dry, I suggest to increase 2 points. If it is Group A, I suggest to -2.

Sounds like you just need to find the skill level that is best for you. If 70 is too easy and 90 is too hard then maybe you need to put it on 80 and tweak it from there. With there being 100 variations of difficulty, surely there is one that will put you in the middle of the pack.

It's a bit of a pain because the perfect spot is different for every race. I think it would be better to have fast and slow cars in each race. As my skill improves I place higher rather than tweaking the settings for every race.

It's a bit of a pain because the perfect spot is different for every race. I think it would be better to have fast and slow cars in each race. As my skill improves I place higher rather than tweaking the settings for every race.

I find that is more my knowledge of the car and track combo that effects performance from race to race and not so much the AI.

I say keep it just a notch on the higher side and give yourself something to chase. There sure has to be a setting that keeps you somewhere within the pack from race to race without moving the setting even if it means your in the back few spots one race and just barely hanging onto the lead in others.

I will say I haven't played with the settings that much and I could find that you are correct once I have. I'm currently running it at 77 and winning easily as long as I don't screw up and spin out. If I spin out I'm typically playing catch up and it becomes very difficult to get the top spot. I've only come back from a spin to win once so far. My races are 10 min.

That being said I do plan on raising the difficulty on my next series if it's still too easy.

I've been using 90/85(mostly TCR class). I always have close racing. I only won two races because I randomly started in 4th & 2nd.

Bumping up to 100/100 and see how I go.

I still am finding the AI rams into the back of me way too often, even with the aggression turned way down. Also a lot of corner cutting.

They got PC1 AI sorted out so I am sure they will do the same with this. In fact, they could have used the same AI as PC1 and I would have been okay with it. The only bad thing with PC1 AI I found was when actually passing someone, they would sometimes go really wide and slow down.

I'm getting rammed into on starts. I barely move if any but the car behind has somehow hit 100mph in a few feet.

I seem to be finding that AI strength car vary from track to track. What I'm using everywhere else doesn't seem to work at Daytona Road Course. I keep getting hammered there.

Getting rammed from behind sometimes happens if you're too slow at a corner. Even I find it's difficult not to ram people who take corners too slow online.

I still have much to play but the Ai isn't crashing into me and ruining my race. But I haven't tried open wheel cars yet. That used to be unplayable at times.

Been working my way through on Formula Rookie and have built up to an AI of 100 and I will generally be fighting in top 6. It does vary from track to track but I put that down to my ability at different tracks.

No matter what I set it at though I always seem to find one corner where the AI is just not on the ball i.e. bottom of the hill at Donnington (Craner curves). It is just plain slow here.

I will lower it for other cars, I had to turn it down for a race in the Caterham because I was nowhere.

I really like the way AI is implemented. Each time that I'm involved in an accident with an AI car, even when it hits me in the back, the replay teaches me I would have done exactly the same if I were driving the AI car. Avoiding contact in the middle of a pack going for the first corners is part of the experience. And I expect AI cars making mistakes then, just like I do, and causing massive collisions with smoke and car parts flying everywhere. I hope subsequent patches don't turn the AI in Gran Turismo bots.

One frustration I have is adjusting he Ai difficulty to enjoy a competitive race. If it's too low, you're in front of the pack racing by yourself. If it's too high, it's frustrating because you're way behind by yourself again.

It seems like ideally in any race there should be a wide distribution of fast and slow cars so you can keep the difficulty at the same level and challenge yourself to place higher and higher.

Of course in real life the difference between the fastest and slowest times is tiny but for a game wouldn't it be best to be able to not only choose the difficulty but also the standard deviation or spread of opponent times?

Am I missing something? I don't know jack about this.

Ideally all the cars should be as competitive as the others.
Keep adjusting it... creating a thread about it is not going to help you find that setting.

Last edited:
I have an issue (and it is totally avoidable and my fault) that if I run into the back of someone in a turn, I spin out.. Should that happen? Has anyone had this issue?

I have an issue (and it is totally avoidable and my fault) that if I run into the back of someone in a turn, I spin out.. Should that happen? Has anyone had this issue?

Just a tad off-topic. No, it shouldnt happen. You should be braking earlier.

Been working my way through on Formula Rookie and have built up to an AI of 100 and I will generally be fighting in top 6. It does vary from track to track but I put that down to my ability at different tracks.

No matter what I set it at though I always seem to find one corner where the AI is just not on the ball i.e. bottom of the hill at Donnington (Craner curves). It is just plain slow here.

I will lower it for other cars, I had to turn it down for a race in the Caterham because I was nowhere.
It's such a sweet place for an overtake though. Love that right hander down there.

I tried doing a multiclass race at Road America last night, fast cars Group 5, me in a Vintage GTB 240Z. AI at 70 difficulty, 70 aggression. I did a rolling start with a manual formation lap.

The AI was really tough to follow on the formation lap. Cars in my class would accelerate at rates not possible for my car, even after adjusting the final drive ratio. They would also brake harder than possible in this car. They would also do things like weave while going through the carousel, at a pace that I could barely hold the racing line at.

I also frequently ran into problems going into T5, with the AI having massive multi-car pile-ups...on the Formation Lap!!

I would then get warnings and penalties for passing the crashed cars. If I waited for the crashed cars, I would get warnings and penalties for being too far from the lead of my class. No matter what I did, I got penalties.

I spent about 1/2 an hour trying to get a clean formation lap in before finally giving up.

I tried doing a multiclass race at Road America last night, fast cars Group 5, me in a Vintage GTB 240Z. AI at 70 difficulty, 70 aggression. I did a rolling start with a manual formation lap.

The AI was really tough to follow on the formation lap. Cars in my class would accelerate at rates not possible for my car, even after adjusting the final drive ratio. They would also brake harder than possible in this car. They would also do things like weave while going through the carousel, at a pace that I could barely hold the racing line at.

I also frequently ran into problems going into T5, with the AI having massive multi-car pile-ups...on the Formation Lap!!

I would then get warnings and penalties for passing the crashed cars. If I waited for the crashed cars, I would get warnings and penalties for being too far from the lead of my class. No matter what I did, I got penalties.

I spent about 1/2 an hour trying to get a clean formation lap in before finally giving up.

Yeah I turn all the penalties off in all racing games for this reason. Self regulate mostly, if it's online racing I just boot repeat offenders.

Yeah I turn all the penalties off in all racing games for this reason. Self regulate mostly, if it's online racing I just boot repeat offenders.
I do this too, but seeing as it's a new game, I figured I'd give it a go, put it through its paces, see what I got. Kind of got what I expected, so I'll revert back to self control, imagination, and roll playing to create good races for myself.

Same thing happened to me in a gt3 race at Imola. Had to finally turn penalties of to get past the rolling start at the end of a formation lap. Hope ps4 patch comes soon

Got absolutely smoked by 80% AI at Le Mans in the Indycar. I found the stock setup odd that they have max rear downforce, so lowered it to less than half, did some to the front too, sorted out the final drive, and yet the AI were steaming past me down the straights and I could barely keep up. Guess I'll have to take almost all downforce off to even have a chance... or lower the AI :indiff:

Once you set the AI to 80 or above, they'll start adjusting the car setup and will no longer run on the default.

Once you set the AI to 80 or above, they'll start adjusting the car setup and will no longer run on the default.
Yeah I know that, was actually meaning to have another go on 79 to see just what difference there is. I like that the AI seem harder in this game, although we're still all getting used to the new handling and FFB I guess so hope to be competitive at higher levels before too long.

Yeah I know that, was actually meaning to have another go on 79 to see just what difference there is. I like that the AI seem harder in this game, although we're still all getting used to the new handling and FFB I guess so hope to be competitive at higher levels before too long.

I also think they are harder to beat now.
In PCars 1 I could comfortable play at 100 AI.
Now I'm playing at 80 AI and they give me a run for my money.

Perhaps, as you say, it's just because we're still getting used to the FFB and physics and not pushing the car as much yet.

I also think they are harder to beat now.
In PCars 1 I could comfortable play at 100 AI.
Now I'm playing at 80 AI and they give me a run for my money.

Perhaps, as you say, it's just because we're still getting used to the FFB and physics and not pushing the car as much yet.
Another issue I have is that I didn't like the stock setups in the first game at all, so would sometimes spend weeks working on the same car until I really got it to where I was happy, and all that time I was learning how to drive that particular car, whereas now in pCARS2 the cars feel so much better as stock, I'm finding it hard to stick with one and keep jumping into different cars. Need to slow down a bit and focus lol

Back