AI is ridiculously slow

• Thread starter CoolColJ
  • 30 comments
CoolColJ, GTP_CoolColJ
Like embrassingly slow. With 3 difficulty levels, more levels could be added if needed, but the hardest setting should extremely challenging for expert drivers, but it's not
Especially in VR mode where there are no AI options at all.
I have to question wether any PD play testers even raced against them

In custom races if your set everything to real turn off boost among a few other things the AI is actually competitive. Alot people just go straight in anddont tinker with any of that.

I also believe there is a "Drafting" option too.
Yeah there is that also needs to be set to real otherwise your car gets massive boost of a draft. Custom and arcade races are set to be easy even with highest difficulty you have to change the race options to get a competitive race.

Ai in custom race with good options is competitive in my opinion.

In single race, AI is just a obstacle. The goal is to win before 2 or 3 laps.

The game was built to cater to the masses by default, seasoned drivers should be cranking up the experience by imposing limits on themselves to better mimic actual racing environment. Only so far they can program the AI before it turns to cheating AI and they start doing impossible things.

My suggestion is to add in extra things to spice things up, turn on fuel depletion and tire wear along with real everything else, disable boost and implement penalties and heavy vehicle damage in conjunction with the AI difficulty, this will prove to be a better challenge for you. It gives you limits to work within you know, the argument for competitive AI is always there but no game gives you that without resorting to cheating for the AI. Anyway a nice race can probably be constructed by imposing limits and rules which remove the arcade like invincible experience you're probably having now. You can tailor the experience to suit.

The game was built to cater to the masses by default, seasoned drivers should be cranking up the experience by imposing limits on themselves to better mimic actual racing environment. Only so far they can program the AI before it turns to cheating AI and they start doing impossible things.

My suggestion is to add in extra things to spice things up, turn on fuel depletion and tire wear along with real everything else, disable boost and implement penalties and heavy vehicle damage in conjunction with the AI difficulty, this will prove to be a better challenge for you. It gives you limits to work within you know, the argument for competitive AI is always there but no game gives you that without resorting to cheating for the AI. Anyway a nice race can probably be constructed by imposing limits and rules which remove the arcade like invincible experience you're probably having now. You can tailor the experience to suit.

I'm sorry but that's simply not true.

From back in the PS2 days with Enthusia, to Xbox360 era Forza, to F1 2016, to Dirt and SLRE's rally cross, to Pcars. They have AI that can be challenging and fast without cheating.

Its more than possiable.

I'm sorry but that's simply not true.

From back in the PS2 days with Enthusia, to Xbox360 era Forza, to F1 2016, to Dirt and SLRE's rally cross, to Pcars. They have AI that can be challenging and fast without cheating.

Its more than possiable.
That's just very good programming at work, if you ask any simulation developer about their AI guaranteed you'll get the AI runs a lower precision physics simulation than the player car and we program it to react like a human, i.e. program in limitations, mistakes, bad judgement, losing concentration. I highly doubt back then that AI was as complex as it is today, I mean Google spent years crafting an AI to react human like...I doubt some game developers stumbled upon human like AI for a game back then(the subroutines would be larger than the entire game itself). There is no chance the AI wasn't cheating then, AI is too vast and complex for it to be robust enough back then to not resort to cheating like having reduced physics calculations, instantaneous ability to deal with loss of grip, knowing braking distances on any type of surface and any tire condition...lets be real all AI cheat. Good programming can make it hard to tell, but they are all cheating.

That's just very good programming at work, if you ask any simulation developer about their AI guaranteed you'll get the AI runs a lower precision physics simulation than the player car and we program it to react like a human, i.e. program in limitations, mistakes, bad judgement, losing concentration. I highly doubt back then that AI was as complex as it is today, I mean Google spent years crafting an AI to react human like...I doubt some game developers stumbled upon human like AI for a game back then(the subroutines would be larger than the entire game itself). There is no chance the AI wasn't cheating then, AI is too vast and complex for it to be robust enough back then to not resort to cheating like having reduced physics calculations, instantaneous ability to deal with loss of grip, knowing braking distances on any type of surface and any tire condition...lets be real all AI cheat. Good programming can make it hard to tell, but they are all cheating.
Why would anyone care if the AI was "cheating" if it is on pace, challenging and convincing? Sounds like a strawman argument to excuse poorly crafted algorithms.

So you are saying PD aren't very good at programming to make it hard to tell if the a.i. is cheating, or just the a.i. in GT Sport is bad? Neither really show the a.i. in a good light. So which one is it?

In custom races if your set everything to real turn off boost among a few other things the AI is actually competitive. Alot people just go straight in anddont tinker with any of that.
It's still not quick enough though. After five demo days against the Pro AI around Dragon Trail in GR.3 cars.

My usual fastest lap 1:43 verses AI 1:44 My absolute fastest lap 1:42.2
My normal laps 1:44 verses AI 1:45
My not good laps 1:45 verses AI 1:46

My times were with the AMG GT3 available from the choice of cars. No changes to any car settings.

I was Division 5 back in GT5P days and a long way from being one of the fast guys. As you get used to the physics in a race game you get faster. There is no faster AI in the game....

Why would anyone care if the AI was "cheating" if it is on pace, challenging and convincing? Sounds like a strawman argument to excuse poorly crafted algorithms.

Scaff stated that the AI can be challenging without cheating. I stated based on history of AI that would be impossible on a game console. So where is the strawman here?

So you are saying PD aren't very good at programming to make it hard to tell if the a.i. is cheating, or just the a.i. in GT Sport is bad? Neither really show the a.i. in a good light. So which one is it?

They are bad at hiding their not so challenging AI, not sure what reply you were looking for but I hope that suits your palette.

Whhhhyyyy?

Because It's cheat. Because it's ridiculous. Example: I start in the race 15. place. The AI is slow. Because it's "boost".

I choose a box tactic based on the opponent's pace. But if they are unrealistically speeding up later, because I'm in the lead, it's all over.

And it's a little funny to catch them up smoothly, but I'm not going to let them go anymore... it affects everything and is not realistic. Is it a simulation style gameplay? Not really.

Whhhhyyyy?

Because It's cheat. Because it's ridiculous. Example: I start in the race 15. place. The AI is slow. Because it's "boost".

I choose a box tactic based on the opponent's pace. But if they are unrealistically speeding up later, because I'm in the lead, it's all over.

And it's a little funny to catch them up smoothly, but I'm not going to let them go anymore... it affects everything and is not realistic. Is it a simulation style gameplay? Not really.

It's not a cheat. It's an option. And a great tool for making the AI adapt to your pace. Not everyone are elite simulation players, some just play the game to have fun.

As long as it's an option I don't see any problem with it.

They weak in rally stages like 10 seconds slower on hardest difficulty, but on tracks AI are fine for me. Depends what you driving i guess with slower cars its rly fine they make mistakes you make mistakes they hit you and you hit them. Its fine

This quite funny really, I did a 2 lap race online at the ring with 3 other guys i dont know, and won by over a minute, I then went offline and raced the AI for 4 laps in custom with all aids off no boost etc set on hardest and i won by 3 seconds and didn't get into lead till the last straight.

AI are a lot better now than previous games but there still a pain if there close behind you you they will ram you off the road

And AI likes to play games with you. Even if you pass them in second lap , then they kinda starting keeping up eith you . like that one guy whos in second place is allways in your rear mirror. Its kinda freaks me out. Like they playing games with you. Haha
Its like you can feel that you faster then that guy who was first but then hes like allways just behind you saying : im watching you bruh

In this version of Gran Turismo the custom race option permits you to race against any class of competitor by changing the Opponent Category.So if for example you are driving an N600 class car you can choose a grid of N700 class AI.The category directly above you gives you mostly the same grid except the AI is quicker.The higher the Opponent Category the faster the AI and the more you get paid now everyone can find an AI class that will challenge their skills.

In this version of Gran Turismo the custom race option permits you to race against any class of competitor by changing the Opponent Category.So if for example you are driving an N600 class car you can choose a grid of N700 class AI.The category directly above you gives you mostly the same grid except the AI is quicker.The higher the Opponent Category the faster the AI and the more you get paid now everyone can find an AI class that will challenge their skills.

Yes that i found too. Its good mode for those who like races against AI .

I love the ai in GTS. I’m on intermediate level and I am having a big challenge with them. But I am also just an average skilled driver, liable to making quite a few mistakes too, so the ai in racing games are nothing to complain about for me. I would rate them far above many of the online players in public lobbies that I have raced against.

in custom races I make sure that all the settings are as competitive as possible in the AI is still extremely slow. Always breaking and Corners were breaking is not necessary taking really weird lines crashing but all AI crash it's no longer fun to play offline.

I played Redbullx in professional league today, just for fun. I choosed the first redbull ring race, my car was stock and I used slowest tyres ( racing hards ). I went in without practise and...I was quite surprised with the speed of AI, they were quite fast. It still wasn't something what would make an experienced and skilled driver sweat, but it was fine. I can imagine that if I tried this race 2 years ago or earlier, I would have no chance winning that race, unless I would cut or push AI of track :D

The custom race professional AI is 'competitive' however that falls down on many fast corners where you flat out dont need to brake and yet they do brake... so much so that I might end up rear ending them,

This is on ordinary closed wheel cars.

On open wheelers they are much more competitive. The F1500s are especially good.

Back