Airsoft

• Thread starter Boost Lee
  • 31 comments
While watching a show on Tech TV called Future Fighting Machines I seen a weapon that shocked and interested me. Now I'm not a big gun fanatic, I'm a car guy, but this thing was insane. It's called the P90. Anyways a couple weeks go by and I don't think much of it, and then out of the blue I remember seeing the show and the gun, so I type P90 into Google. That's when I found the world of Airsoft.

Airsoft is basically like Paintball, with the exception being the ammunition used and the guns themselves. Airsoft focuses on realism with some guns being almost %100 identical in looks / weight / and materials used. (Most guns can be upgraded to fire farther and more accurately.) You have 3 choices for ammunition and all of them are 6mm in size.

1. 6mm plastic bb
2. 6mm metal coated plastic bb
3. 6mm paintball

There are also 3 types of Airsoft guns -

1. AEG - Automatic Electric Gun
2. GPG - Gas Powered Gun
3. SG - Spring Gun

The choice for most tournament players as well as non-tourny players is the AEG, with the Gas Powered guns usually being kept for sidearms. The Spring Guns are reported as being the worst of the three.

I have not purchased a gun yet, but I hope to within' the next couple of weeks. My brother has a huge farm with dozens of acres and I can't wait to try this out. :D

they are just expensive BB guns...
Paintball is much better, you can actually stop a guy in his tracks if he is dumb enough to charge you.

I'd like to see you charge a fully automatic Airsoft gun that can empty a full clip of bb's in 1 second at over 500 feet per second. I'll bring my digital cam and the gun, and you can rush me.

Paintball is an absolute mess, and most guns even the higher up Angels and Smart Parts jam more often than any gun I have ever seen. Real or Fake.

This isn't a thread about what's better or if an Airsoft gun can stop someone from rushing you.

I'd like to see you charge a fully automatic Airsoft gun that can empty a full clip of bb's in 1 second

First, emptying a clip in 1 sec would be pretty pointless, as you would spend more time reloading than you would have loaded time.

at over 500 feet per second.

And quote
at distances of 50 to 200 feet at between 200fps to 600fps.

I believe, after reading the link, that few airsoft guns reach 500fps. And those that do are usually highly modified. Pretty much any paintball gun will give you enough of a hit to at least make you think twice about that next step you were thinking of taking.

Paintball is an absolute mess
Well it is paint being used.

This isn't a thread about what's better or if an Airsoft gun can stop someone from rushing you.
I understand that, you have found an activety taht interests you and you have posted it to see if others are also interested by it.
I have played paintballing and laser tag. The main reason I prefer paintballing is simply because in laser tag, jerks tend to run at you and the though of losing 25/100 points on their score sheet doesn't make a difference to them, while a paintball would.
What I'm trying to say is, taht a sport that is supposed to be a safer substitute for something much more deadly still must have soem sort of pain involved or all the fun is gone.

Originally posted by ExigeExcel
First, emptying a clip in 1 sec would be pretty pointless, as you would spend more time reloading than you would have loaded time.

And quote

I believe, after reading the link, that few airsoft guns reach 500fps. And those that do are usually highly modified

What I'm trying to say is, taht a sport that is supposed to be a safer substitute for something much more deadly still must have soem sort of pain involved or all the fun is gone.

1. Take out the clip and put a new one in. Damn, thats was tough.
2. $100 to upgrade depending on the gun. Some guns can reach up to and over 1000fps.
3. Like I said, I'll bring my digital camcorder & the gun and you rush me.

The thing you fail to see is, it's not about hurting someone. If I wanted to hurt someone I wouldn't be using a paintball or airsoft gun.

The thing you fail to see is, it's not about hurting someone. If I wanted to hurt someone I wouldn't be using a paintball or airsoft gun.

Fine, lets all play laser tag and let the jerks run at us... Oh even better, lets all tickle each other with feathers.

1. Take out the clip and put a new one in. Damn, thats was tough.

and the clip is just going to levitate into your hand and the old one levitate onto your belt clip? It might not take long, but if taht guy has teh same amount of rounds as you, but fires the slower and more sparingly, he's gonna 'kill' you while your reloading.

I'm 5'11 230lbs (or 1.80m and 104kg for you in England) someone rushing me in a laser tag game would be the least of my worries.

AEG's have semi-auto and full-auto. Where did I say I was going to use full-auto in a tournament? Nowhere.

It basically comes down to this - Real looking gun w/real attributes firing bb's VS lame looking tube that fires paint.

Meh. I knew about Airsoft a long time ago. They even make a line of firearms from Metal Gear Solid, like Solid Snake's pistol with a silencer, and the above rifle/submachine gun, (P90), used by Solidus.

I've got real firearms, and high powered (RWS) pellet rifles. I don't need Airsoft.

Originally posted by Solid Lifters
I've got real firearms, and high powered (RWS) pellet rifles. I don't need Airsoft.
What's your point? I have a real car and I play Gran Turismo, do you see me going into the Gran Turismo section and saying "I have a real car, I don't need GT3".

Here's my point, if you're not interested in Airsoft - Don't post in the thread.

I've been thinking of getting a cheapo Airsoft gun just for the fun of it. But for now, my Gamo Pellet gun (shoots 1000 fps) is all I need. One day though, I might get one.

Originally posted by Monster7
What's your point? I have a real car and I play Gran Turismo, do you see me going into the Gran Turismo section and saying "I have a real car, I don't need GT3".

Here's my point, if you're not interested in Airsoft - Don't post in the thread.

Well, since I have to spell it out for you, I'm still interested in Airsoft. (That why I posted here.) I think there pretty neat, but since I have other, real firearms, I really don't need them. But, I still would like to have maybe one or two, just because they seem like something I might want.

However, I don't like the idea of a toy gun, that you point and shoot at other people, that is so real-looking. It's not a good idea. Paintballl guns are made not to look like real firearms on purpose, not just function.

Oh, if you don't like what I post, then put me on your ignore list. That's what it's there for.

Actualy there are paintball guns that look very real not quite but very close. They are called paintball pistols and hold 12 rounds of i think .38 or so callibur paintballs. You can buy them for like 100$ or so at Action Village (tell me if the link doesnt work i havent been to the site in like a year. I was thinking about getting a paintball pistol till i got my automatic paintball gun....though this thread didnt even start out as an arguement over paintball vs. airsoft.

you cant really determine if you hit someone like in paintball. so if there are descrepancies, youll have to go on the honor system
and by the way, they actually make vehicles for some of the senario games! really cool game!
and Ive actually held a P90. its pretty light

I was actually just introduced to Airsoft about a week ago. Let me say that it's pretty cool and very intense. I played here at www.airsoftcqb.com It's an indoor close quarters combat arena.

I had an absolute blast. Then with the added sting of being shot with one of those guns, it's even more intense. I got sprayed in the back at close range by some guy and I still have the marks on my body from the BB's. Those little buggers sure do sting.

For the indoor arena, the 'feet per second' of the guns is kept below 300 fps since you are in such close quarters. But the fire rates can be upwards of 15 rounds per second. Some modified ones even shoot faster. I really like how realistic the guns were. I got the chance to use a MP5, an AR-15 and a MP5K. The MP5K was probably the easiest to use in the close quarters and pretty effective as it's clip still holds 350 BB's and fired at 12 RPS. But since it was so compact, it was easy to get around corners compared to the longer MP5 and AR-15.

Some of these guys that were playing there were ex-military or police. These guys were really cool to play with cus they knew how to move around and how to enter and clear rooms. It was really interesting to see it. And the way that they communicated with eachother was awesome. Each had tiny radios with them so they could stay in contact. Full tach vests and black jump suits to really make them look like SWAT team members or Special Forces.

While playing, there are several different types of "missions" that the teams can play. The first mission we played was a bank robbery. One team started out in the "Bank" with some simulated bags of money and there mission was to get to the other side of the map with the money bags. The opposing team was, you guessed it, the cops. The cops just had to stop them from getting to a certain spot on the map. It was really cool and really intense. It was fun cus there were about 10 people per team, 20 in all and made for a very intense firefight.

Since I had never played before, I was pretty nonchalant about the whole thing. That is until I got shot up pretty good. Them little plastic BB's can sure pack a punch. Every game after that, the adrenaline was pumping. Breating heavy, sweating and nervous. Pretty intense.

The owner of the shop had some really cool Airsoft guns for sale too. He had a M60 macinegun, a automatic grenade launcher that held 8 or so BB grenades. Each BB grenade holds 160 BB's in it and man, when that thing goes off, everything in about a 20' radius is being sprayed with BB's. On one of the missions the owner played with us and he brought the launcher out. It was very cool, but a bit scary when you were on the receiving end of it.

So my first experience with Airsoft and I am definately hooked on it. I had such a good time. I just wish that there was a place close to where I live that did this but I haven't been able to find much out here in Colorado.

But much like this thread has turned into, was the paintball/Airsoft controversy and who's better then who. It doesn't really matter does it? Both people like to do the same thing and each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. But the thing is, is that people are out there enjoying themselfs so just let it lie as that and quit bickering back and forth about it.

Airsoft, just like paintball are both very fun. 👍

Originally posted by boombexus
But much like this thread has turned into, was the paintball/Airsoft controversy and who's better then who. It doesn't really matter does it? Both people like to do the same thing and each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. But the thing is, is that people are out there enjoying themselfs so just let it lie as that and quit bickering back and forth about it.

Airsoft, just like paintball are both very fun. 👍
Very well put.

Originally posted by Dorifto
I don't think I could ever take airsoft seriously. Dunno why.

Great input.

Seriously. What's so serious about it? It's a game. A hobby, an interest, a leisure time activity. There is nothing to be taken "seriously" about it, or any other kind of activity like it. It's not a matter of life or death, so what's so serious about it? Do explain.

I just don't get what you planned to contribute to this thread by making that post. It contributes nothing, and seems to have a sarcastic ring to it.

Please, for future reference, if you have a poingnant and pithy post to make, please make it, we would all love to read it, but otherwise, keep it to yourself.

Well some people spend tons of money on their guns. If they spend such money on their guns I'm sure they take it somewhat seriously.

Some of the most fun I had was when me and my friend got the same Deagle Elsctric and we went into my garage and turned out all the lights and just went around shooting each other.

we had like a course and missons to do, it was really fun, but when u ran out of bullets , it really sucks because u were a sitting duck ( i had the m9( i think))

I collect Airsoft guns, but I haven't gotten to play yet, because I've been paying most of my attention to my car. I have:

Tokyo Marui (TM) MP5 RAS (AEG)
TM M9 Chrome (not actually crome, looks more like stainless) (Gas)
KWA M93R (Gas)
HFC .357 Revolver (Sort of a S&W M10/ Colt Python hybrid) (Gas)
HFC M9 Elite (Spring)
UHC M9 (Spring)

Can anyone tell that I like Berettas? :D

By the way, don't even think about airsoft paintballs. They will break inside your gun. And the paint is a ***** to get out. Especially once it dries in your gun. I've heard more than a few stories of people having to buy new barrels because of airsoft paintballs.

i have a glock 18c (gas) :D
but i've only really used it in empty woods against a few other people with electrics and a gas desert eagle.. i'd like to go to one of those ccq places, it looks better..

Back