Alerts System

• Thread starter Jason
  • 23 comments
United States
Pittsburgh, PA
x-GT5M4N-x
Impulse Trick
For a while now, the alert system has been partially faulty for me. I do not receive alerts for some of the threads I watch, even if I visit them often. I'm forced to click on alerts, show all, and then watched threads in order to make sure I'm not missing out anything. Not receiving notifications can be quite frustrating at times. On a positive note, the alert system works quite well for a few of the threads I am watching. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a bug on the site. I know for a fact I am not the only one who has experienced similar issues.

I've not seen any problems with alerts. You might think they work differently than how they actually function; there has been some confusion over this before. See my explanation here:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/not-receiving-alerts-for-active-threads.302079/#post-9309654

I read your explanation and I understand what you're saying. However, in some cases even if I click on the alert and check the thread, I still will not receive any further alerts for that thread.

I read your explanation and I understand what you're saying. However, in some cases even if I click on the alert and check the thread, I still will not receive any further alerts for that thread.
I used to have that issue a lot. A few months back it vanished for good.

That's my first time seeing one on this site before.
There's been quite of number of spambots on here. One even showed up in WHaT's *dead* club.

Anyways, I've sometime had the alert problem at times.

Ok, back on topic....I have an idea! :D

Maybe later on in GTP's life we can have an extra list of "Important Watched Threads" that will alert you no matter what you do. If that is possible, of course.

Ok, back on topic....I have an idea! :D

Maybe later on in GTP's life we can have an extra list of "Important Watched Threads" that will alert you no matter what you do. If that is possible, of course.
Or maybe even a favorite watched threads list. This could work.

Is there some maintenance going on? I don't receive alerts anymore when somebody quotes me. I do still get alerts when a post is liked.
I've checked my preferences but all boxes are ticked.

Is there some maintenance going on? I don't receive alerts anymore when somebody quotes me. I do still get alerts when a post is liked.
I've checked my preferences but all boxes are ticked.
No maintenance, all systems are normal. Which post(s)/quote(s) do you believe you should have received an alert for?

No maintenance, all systems are normal. Which post(s)/quote(s) do you believe you should have received an alert for?

It only seems to happen with quoting in the Infield. Because this one actually popped up, but I haven't received alerts for the 2 posts in the Ramblings thread.

I tracked down your most recent quoted posts in that thread. Both were added via post edits, which do not trigger alert notifications (this applies to user @ tags as well).

Thought about creating a new thread, but this can fit nicely here:

This is rare in my experience, but sometimes, I'll come back after a day of being offline and get the normal 30+ alerts, go through all of them, and then I get these others that just...magically appear, informing me of something new however, they're all old or made before I got offline. It's just weird.
alerts after.jpg

I know with certainty, I got offline on Friday at 6:03 PM CST, but this was made at 3:20 AM on Friday. :boggled:

I do realize this is a dead thread but I've been thinking about the alert system
and the likely huge amount of GTP alerts that gets sent every minute for PM's and
thread posts. I'm probably sending out ten of them right now just by posting this.

I feel sorry for whatever entity Jordan's got working the alert switchboard round the clock.
Don't know if it's a monkey, robot or a bunch of 1950's women but I keep
getting these images in my head when thinking about it.

switch1.jpg

switch2.jpg

switch3.jpg

There are a lot of alerts out there... Watching the database, you can see there are several new alerts generated per second, but a single reply to a large thread or conversation can generate hundreds per second.

Back