Alien Covenant [19th May 2017]Movies 

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 30 comments
I like the look of the red band trailer, it's nice that there is actually going to be some of the Alien creature. Prometheus I only watched once, and I still haven't made up my mind if it was any good.

it's nice that there is actually going to be some of the Alien creature
The irony being that Scott deliberately showed as little of the alien as possible in the original Alien because he knew that the audience would use their imagination to conjure up something far worse than than anything he could. Thus, when the alien was finally revealed, it was all the more terrifying.

Visually I like the look of the trailer.

I loved Fastbenders David, so I'm happy to see his return.

However Scott is going to have to storytell his backside off to explain what happened after the end Prometheus and the beginning of this movie.

While some people hated Prometheus, I didn't, however I thought it could have been better without all the cliches from other popular Sci-Fi movies. However it left quite a nice segway into the next film.

I'm not as hyped about this as I am for Bladerunner 2049 (However if Jared Leto is playing the villain/replicant then... however I'm not entirely sure it was all his fault with Joker)

I loved Fastbenders David, so I'm happy to see his return
He's playing two characters - David and Walter.

However Scott is going to have to storytell his backside off to explain what happened after the end Prometheus and the beginning of this movie.
It won't be too hard. Scott has already confirmed that Covenant (and a planned sequel, possibly two) will explain who created the xenomorphs and why. Prometheus already alluded to it, with Janek speculating that the planet was a military base and the xenomorphs a weapon that the engineers lost control of.

Other possible explanations include:
1) That the engineers created life elsewhere in the galaxy because they realised that they were doomed, and intended to use the xenomorphs to harvest genetic material and save themselves; however, it took too long for life to evolve and/or the xenomorphs evolved beyond their intended use, and the engineers died out.

2) The engineers realised that the xenomorphs had the potential to devastate the universe, and so planted the star maps on populated planets; when a race deciphered the maps and sought out the engineers, it was a warning that they had developed to the point that xenomorphs could devastate the universe if they infested that race, so the engineers moved to eradicate them before that could happen.

3) Xenomorphs are a devolved version of the engineers. Something went wrong in the evolutionary chain as the engineers experimented with accelerating their own evolution, and so they became parasitic monsters.

Is it also the way the engineers made aliens? It seemed weird that in the beginning of Prometheus, the engineer takes the liquid and breaks down to black DNA. When David put a bit in the glass for Holloway(I guess as a host), it mutated him. When Nooma Rapace was impregnated, the alien came out as a cephlapod.

Then, when the engineer laid as host, it came out as the xenomorph. So, something in the engineer's dna (like when Holloway talked about engineers creating Us) made that change.

I don't know for sure, but it seems that way from what little info we get in the film. Now, how the alien looks as it does after Prometheus, the engineers must have experimented on one another. I guess.

Is it also the way the engineers made aliens?
The black ooze is the problem at the heart of Prometheus. Like you said, three different people were exposed, and they had three different reactions. Holloway ingested it and it made him sick. Shaw slept with Holloway and was impregnated with something. And Millburn fell into it and it mutated him. A film like Prometheus hinges on world-building. You have to establish the rules that govern the world so that the audience is familiar with them. But the black ooze has no rules. Three separate exposures, three different reactions, and nothing to tell us why each person experienced it differently.

So, something in the engineer's dna (like when Holloway talked about engineers creating Us) made that change.
Looking at the series as a whole, the life cycle seems to go like this: the alien queen lays its eggs. The eggs contain facehuggers, which implant an embryo in the host. The embryo gestates inside the host and bursts out, killing the host. Where the alien queens come from has not really been established, since the xenomorphs apparently don't have the ability to reproduce (at least not until Alien Resurrection).

As for the appearance of the xenomorph at the end of Prometheus, it has been established that a xenomorph takes on the qualities of a host. There was an alien-dog hybrid in Alien 3, and while they are non-canonical, a Predator-alien hybrid in the Alien vs. Predator films.

On the subject of non-canonical content, there was a scene cut from Alien that saw Ripley perform a mercy killing on a crew member who had been captured and exposed to a spore-like substance that was breaking down his body to create new eggs. It was removed because Scott felt that it wasn't the kind of horror that he was aiming for, but it does seem to support the idea that the xenomorphs were being used to harvest genetic material. It was a subject that was touched on in Prometheus as well, suggesting that the engineers had access to raw genetic material and the basic building blocks of organic life.

A few years ago, there was a BBC series called Fortitude about a series of mysterious deaths on the island of Svalbard. It was eventually revealed that the discovery of a fully-intact woolly mammoth perseved under the ice also awoke the dormant larvae of a parasitic wasp that laid is eggs in an unsuspecting host, which ate it alive from the inside out when they hatched. When it was discovered, one of the characters remarked that "if ever there was proof that there is no such thing as a benevolent god, this is it" given how cruel it was. That's why my theory is that the engineers, who are presented as god-like, aren't going to be benevolent. Despite an advanced civilisation, they discovered some genetic flaw that would inevitably doom them, and so they started to spread life throughout the universe. They planted the star maps for us to follow, so that when they did, they knew that we were ready - at which point, they would unleash the black ooze to harvest our genetic material and try to save themselves from extinction.

The black ooze is the problem at the heart of Prometheus. Like you said, three different people were exposed, and they had three different reactions. Holloway ingested it and it made him sick. Shaw slept with Holloway and was impregnated with something. And Millburn fell into it and it mutated him. A film like Prometheus hinges on world-building. You have to establish the rules that govern the world so that the audience is familiar with them. But the black ooze has no rules. Three separate exposures, three different reactions, and nothing to tell us why each person experienced it differently.

Looking at the series as a whole, the life cycle seems to go like this: the alien queen lays its eggs. The eggs contain facehuggers, which implant an embryo in the host. The embryo gestates inside the host and bursts out, killing the host. Where the alien queens come from has not really been established, since the xenomorphs apparently don't have the ability to reproduce (at least not until Alien Resurrection).

As for the appearance of the xenomorph at the end of Prometheus, it has been established that a xenomorph takes on the qualities of a host. There was an alien-dog hybrid in Alien 3, and while they are non-canonical, a Predator-alien hybrid in the Alien vs. Predator films.

On the subject of non-canonical content, there was a scene cut from Alien that saw Ripley perform a mercy killing on a crew member who had been captured and exposed to a spore-like substance that was breaking down his body to create new eggs. It was removed because Scott felt that it wasn't the kind of horror that he was aiming for, but it does seem to support the idea that the xenomorphs were being used to harvest genetic material. It was a subject that was touched on in Prometheus as well, suggesting that the engineers had access to raw genetic material and the basic building blocks of organic life.

A few years ago, there was a BBC series called Fortitude about a series of mysterious deaths on the island of Svalbard. It was eventually revealed that the discovery of a fully-intact woolly mammoth perseved under the ice also awoke the dormant larvae of a parasitic wasp that laid is eggs in an unsuspecting host, which ate it alive from the inside out when they hatched. When it was discovered, one of the characters remarked that "if ever there was proof that there is no such thing as a benevolent god, this is it" given how cruel it was. That's why my theory is that the engineers, who are presented as god-like, aren't going to be benevolent. Despite an advanced civilisation, they discovered some genetic flaw that would inevitably doom them, and so they started to spread life throughout the universe. They planted the star maps for us to follow, so that when they did, they knew that we were ready - at which point, they would unleash the black ooze to harvest our genetic material and try to save themselves from extinction.
Ah. Hold up. I like your theory.

Thing is, the engineer pilots and the decapitated engineer. In Alien, that engineer I guess, was as you mentioned, sending the beacon. A xenomorph queen had to have come from that engineer on LV426(unless it's the same ship from Prometheus)

In Prometheus, the engineers in the corridor, must have given rise to the xenomorph. But I'm confused because there are only eggs left. No xenomorph carcasses unless those completely dissolve.

Maybe I'll start reading up on this. Yeah the black too kind of throws it, but the engineer's exploded chests tell us something else. Were those originally developed "worms" or xenomorphs(even though we only see xenomorph after it was first a cephlapod?

Were those originally developed "worms" or xenomorphs(even though we only see xenomorph after it was first a cephlapod?
Too soon to say. It's probably one of the issues that Alien: Covenant and/or its sequels needs to address.

Looks like a repeat of the first alien. Execpt we know some of the backstory. But still, a few people meet mr alien for the first time, get scared, run around, get killed and survive. I'm definitly seeing this day one.

Looks a bit too much like an action film for my tastes. And the alien at the end looks pretty crude.

Plus, the film's internal logic doesn't make much sense. The implication that the film puts forward is that the xenomorphs have stripped all life from the planet. So then what? They all go into hibernation, waiting for more prey to come by? There's a real chance that they would die out before any of that prey found them.

This will be hard to watch without expecting DannyMcBride doing something utterly funny...

Other than that, seems to follow the exact same formula of Prometheus. Find a planet, be in awe, find something scary, all goes to ****

Looks a bit too much like an action film for my tastes. And the alien at the end looks pretty crude.

Plus, the film's internal logic doesn't make much sense. The implication that the film puts forward is that the xenomorphs have stripped all life from the planet. So then what? They all go into hibernation, waiting for more prey to come by? There's a real chance that they would die out before any of that prey found them.
This time the alien trouble starts when franco and mcbride try to make a bong out of an egg.

As a pretty basic, not overly intelligent lifeform, it makes reasonable sense for them to have evolved to be able to lay dormant for an unspecified amount of time.

This will be hard to watch without expecting DannyMcBride doing something utterly funny...

Other than that, seems to follow the exact same formula of Prometheus. Find a planet, be in awe, find something scary, all goes to ****
I think Ian Malcolm said it best, "First there's lots of oooo's and ahhh's. Then, there's running and screaming!..." :D

I would have thought sales would have tumbled after David was found to be a murderous sociopath willing to infect people with parasitic alien embryos just to see what would happen. It's a bit like Apple launching a new version of Siri after the original Siri was found to have hijacked the network of smart appliances in a home and murdered a family of four, a bit like that episode of "The Simpsons" with Pierce Brosnan in it.

I would have thought sales would have tumbled after David was found to be a murderous sociopath willing to infect people with parasitic alien embryos just to see what would happen. It's a bit like Apple launching a new version of Siri after the original Siri was found to have hijacked the network of smart appliances in a home and murdered a family of four, a bit like that episode of "The Simpsons" with Pierce Brosnan in it.
Yet, he's so polite.

0pCA6gI.jpg

It was descent. The movies is definitely a follow up to prometheus. The plot is fun but predictable. I just didn't like the main actress. See seems to be crying during the whole movie

Back