All I want for Christmas 2010

  • Thread starter Thread starter craste
  • 59 comments
  • 3,506 views

What would you prefer to happen?

  • Game out in March 2010, free weather & damage download patch Dec 2010

    Votes: 80 57.6%
  • Full game released in Dec 2010 with weather & damage included

    Votes: 45 32.4%
  • If the game is not out in March I'll stop caring about GT5 to be honest.

    Votes: 14 10.1%

  • Total voters
    139
I didn't vote, because I hope it'll be released in summer (June/July) time. If it's Christmas 2010, I'd be extremely frustrated.
 
I didn't vote, because I hope it'll be released in summer (June/July) time. If it's Christmas 2010, I'd be extremely frustrated.

My thoughts exactly.
 
please tell me you're joking? They would first have to implement a full damage engine into the game in order for it to be patched later. So if they put the whole engine in now, what would they be patching other than additional small detail which would already have to be included on a smaller scale. So they either do a whole engine now finished and everything, or they don't do one at all.
I wish they never did start his damage bs.

Same with weather. The game would need to have it implemented. If it's implemented, what is there to patch later other than a shinier sun or a wetter rain?

As i said......

anything is patchable as long as you prepare for it.


I went ahead and highlighted the keyword for you.

You do realize when the PS3 version of GT was announced it was going to be modular?

Do you think they would have had to plan ahead for problems down the road?

Does the PS3 come with a hard drive?

In summary, ANYTHING is patchable as long as you PREPARE for it.
 
You should try reading between the lines.
 
All I want for Christmas 2010 is ANOTHER ***ING TRAILER!

Please, PD, give me that. Make my wishes come true.
 
As i said......




I went ahead and highlighted the keyword for you.

You do realize when the PS3 version of GT was announced it was going to be modular?

Do you think they would have had to plan ahead for problems down the road?

Does the PS3 come with a hard drive?

In summary, ANYTHING is patchable as long as you PREPARE for it.


I am not sure exactly what they meant by modular, but prepairing to have things like more cars or tracks added is very reasonable. Prepairing to have huge parts of the game engine changed, when those parts may act in who knows what way is not really reasonable and this is where the limitations of patching come in.

How much memory will it need? What functions will it pass arguments to? What arguments will they be? What resources will it need access to?

See modular to accept new cars and tracks is fairly simple. It's like telling a secretary "You may get more inboxes from new employees as we hire them". You just add one more thing that acts just like all the other things and has very limited integration needs.

But being able to accept a huge thing like a weather engine would be like building a city and making sure it's ready to receive some added on type of transit system in the future.

You can't do it since you have no idea how it will work. Where do you need to leave power tie ins availalbe? What type of power will it even use? How wide do you have to leave spaces between buildlings? How will the workers park? What I don't think you understand is how complex a way something like a damage engine must interact with the rest of the game engine. You can't prepare for it becuase you would have to leave so many open options it would greatly hamper your existing code and then leave you with probably a bunch of wasted resources when the new code comes along and doesn't use the things you left open.

It's just not feasible and you can't just "prepare for it".
 
Of course you can. Ship the cars with their respective collision points attatched, hinges, pivots and other points of interest you wish to call upon when the damage physics are indeed complete and tested. Make sure anything you want to patch in the future, (game physics engine, which will be where the collision detection will be located) is located on the HD or at least looks for a newer version on hd before loading. You know..... Just like Prologue did 👍

Btw your analogy is flawed in so many ways i giggled a little.
 
Of course you can. Ship the cars with their respective collision points attatched, hinges, pivots and other points of interest you wish to call upon when the damage physics are indeed complete and tested. Make sure anything you want to patch in the future, (game physics engine, which will be where the collision detection will be located) is located on the HD or at least looks for a newer version on hd before loading. You know..... Just like Prologue did 👍

Btw your analogy is flawed in so many ways i giggled a little.

It's admittedly a pretty bad analogy but we were talking about the weather engine... and this part

Make sure anything you want to patch in the future, (game physics engine, which will be where the collision detection will be located) is located on the HD or at least looks for a newer version on hd before loading.

I have no idea what you are saying... that makes no sense and addresses none of the issues with making sure your code can accept a new module that you have no idea how will act or what resources it will call...

It really sounds like you are just kind of making stuff up here...
 
I believe it would be very hard to patch in day to night transitions.

All of the tracks we have seen so far have been pre rendered with shadows.

The textures etc on the disk include dark patches of track etc.

For a day night transition to occur all of the track would need to have no shadows and then these shadows are created and rendered in real time.

Perhaps they could store all shadow information separate to the tracks, but I believe we would have already noticed this with the occasional shadow related glitch, as we see with the real time shadows that the cars cast.

Anyone that has created a Quake level would know exactly what I am talking about as you have to wait for it to render a shadow map once the level has been created. To do this as accurately as the shadows are currently in GT5 Prologue would require a lot of extra processing.
 
I believe it would be very hard to patch in day to night transitions.

All of the tracks we have seen so far have been pre rendered with shadows.

The textures etc on the disk include dark patches of track etc.

For a day night transition to occur all of the track would need to have no shadows and then these shadows are created and rendered in real time.

Perhaps they could store all shadow information separate to the tracks, but I believe we would have already noticed this with the occasional shadow related glitch, as we see with the real time shadows that the cars cast.

Anyone that has created a Quake level would know exactly what I am talking about as you have to wait for it to render a shadow map once the level has been created. To do this as accurately as the shadows are currently in GT5 Prologue would require a lot of extra processing.

Good point and only one of many concerns with patching in something as big as day night or weather.
 
I cant spell it out any more to you. I'm really begining to think you are either retarded or supremely ignorant, no offence intended. I might as well go with "I made it up" because its obvious you do not/can not/will not understand how feasible this is, for whatever reason.


EDIT: Static Day/Night courses would not be patched, they would be two seperate tracks(falls under dlc). nothing to do with my original statement. Dynamic weather would be a whole different story.
 
I cant spell it out any more to you. I'm really begining to think you are either retarded or supremely ignorant, no offence intended. I might as well go with "I made it up" because its obvious you do not/can not/will not understand how feasible this is, for whatever reason.


EDIT: Static Day/Night courses would not be patched, they would be two seperate tracks(falls under dlc). nothing to do with my original statement. Dynamic weather would be a whole different story.

Well I think you have no idea what you are talking about and kind of making stuff up or are way over your head, no offense either, that's just what it seems like.
 
No offence taken. You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is offensive or not, you are entitled to it.

It's wrong of course, but its yours:tup:
 
You know, i used to think people who liked to get the last word were just petty but it turns out to be some sort of ADHD. You might want to get that checked out.
 
I've already stopped caring to be honest, but when the game is released I'll still enjoy it.
 
Well just call this a Ps4 launch title, they are doing so many things it is over the board, just release the game.
 
I cant spell it out any more to you. I'm really begining to think you are either retarded or supremely ignorant, no offence intended. I might as well go with "I made it up" because its obvious you do not/can not/will not understand how feasible this is, for whatever reason.


EDIT: Static Day/Night courses would not be patched, they would be two seperate tracks(falls under dlc). nothing to do with my original statement. Dynamic weather would be a whole different story.

For some reason you put in in your head that anything can be put into a game with a simple patch. They would have to fully implement damage and weather in order to patch it later for whatever reason. The lines of code have to be written NOW. Period. At that point, it's completely irrelevant to the poll because it asks if we would give up damage and weather for immediate release. Of course, this all just speculation based on some logic I picked up over the years, but I'm just being realistic here and not pulling butterflies and unicorns out of my poop shoot like you seem to be.
 
Last edited:
I wasnt talking to you but you obviously somehow thought i was, well if the shoe fits as they say eh.......

And i never once said it was easy, just that it is feasible. You obviously have no grasp of how any kind of software works so i will dwaw you a wittle picture tomowow. :dunce:👍
 
All I want for Christmas 2010 is ANOTHER ***ING TRAILER!

Please, PD, give me that. Make my wishes come true.


hahaha that is really funny so in Dec 2010 only a new trailer will appear and still not the game hahaha. GT5 forever babhe!!!
 
full in december, however i dont' care about it anymore, when it will be released i'll buy it.
 
I can't see them implementing something as important as weather and damage as DLC regardless of whether it's possible or not.

Just remember, not everyone is online with their PS3s (although this never made sense to me). For these people, they would only be receiving half the game in term of features.
 
I'd like to have GT5 now and GT6 in December.

PS - And the €100 Million of today's lottery
 
Ooop's perhaps the title should of read

"All I want for Christmas 2011 or maybe 2012"

KY - you epic FAIL.
 
Tis' a shame it's 2010 and GT5 is stilll TBA. But maybe if we all wish hard enough, it'll be out in early fall. You know, like September.
 
Just noticed this: "free weather & damage download patch". OMG, are you people serious? What makes you think PD/Sony will hand out these for free, especially considering how harder must have it been/will it be to "create" them in the first place?
 
An end to the credit crunch. Is that too much to ask for?
 
Back