All Prize Cars in GT1 PAL Version

• Thread starter Mouc
  • 20 comments
France
East part of the thing.
Hi,

Hope this is not already & heavily documented here, but it's a long time (20 years? and I've found it nowhere so far) I wanted to get all the prize cars available in the "French" (later I learned it was the PAL) Version of GT1. Now it's done (it also took a long time :) ).
I read multiple times in GT1 threads on this very website, numbers of commentaries about the differences between the Japanese, US and PAL version of the game, so I hope it could be helpful for this kind of nerds (like me!) to have the European Specs of all PAL prize cars somewhere in this forum.
Here's the album, if you dare:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/medi...ize-cars-from-championships-pal-version.2121/

Sorry about the poor quality. Pictures are from a video, which is captured via a cheap acquisition device (Nerd yes, but not geek).
About the Honda CR-X Del Sol LM Edition. I simply think the Red color isn't available in the PAL version. I won (honestly) at least 50 times the UK v Japan Championship, the CR-X LM never came out in red. Hope I'm wrong, hope someone has won it one single time in Red, and so I'll try to get it also. For the moment, I can't run this series no more :)

A great video about all prize cars from the Japanese version:

And a link to the above save file with the 61 PAL prize cars I could get with my D-pads & PS2 Fat (Not including the Licenses Tests prize cars).
Bye

Attachments

• GT1 PAL Prize Cars from Series.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 152
In one of my play though I won the CRX LM Del Sol in red. I think it would be quite rare. And, I remember in one thread that the prize you get is not randomized, it's set after you win the championship.

In one of my play though I won the CRX LM Del Sol in red. I think it would be quite rare. And, I remember in one thread that the prize you get is not randomized, it's set after you win the championship.

It is randomised up until at least the championship prize money screen.

Through save states at the screen after the race prize money, where you have the options Replay | Save Replay | Continue you can spam for whichever of the two prize cars you desire.

Hi,

Thanks JakeMR2, you gave me some hope, so I did it again (12 times :mad: ), and finally got the RED CR-X :)

It is randomised up until at least the championship prize money screen. [...]
Now I wonder if it's really randomized. Got the RED CR-X when I decided to look for a insignificant car, and win the series with it: a 95' SZ-R Supra (N.A. version) from the used car dealer... Honestly, it's a car that nobody thinks about, is it? (By the way a great ride: 377hp fully tuned, light & excellent handling)

Attachments

• GT1 PAL 62 Prize Cars from Series.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 55
What car you drive has no real effect on what you get at the end. Cars and colors are fully randomized. The first traces of influence on what you get is in GT3 with a color value, where you can win a car, but only in one color. The older games do not as far as we know have anything other than RNG determining what you get at the end.
From my experience, the hardest cars i've struggled to get in certain colors in GT1 were the green FTO LM and the red CRX DS LM, as well as the white DB7

I think you're right, but when it seems to be the solution after a so long wait... Gets me kind of paranoïd :)
About the struggle for FTO in green & CR-X in red:
- exactly the same for me, in the PAL version (only one I got, by the way)
- did you face the same prob' in any version? (US, JP, PAL)
If so, it could just be a probabilities matter within the random thing for prize cars. And from my side, no real problem getting the white DB7, but it's been a bit hard to get all the Silvias Qs 1800, the Yellow Copperhead, and the Purple RX-7.

I also did some nerdy stats (:mad:) with powers & weights between PAL & JP versions of the prize cars.
There's not many differences in the "Stock" form for cars, but for Race Modded form, yes.
Japanese weights for Viper GTS-R, Cerbera LM, and High Output ConceptCar are 33% lighter.
Around 25% lighter for Civic Type R, Eunos Roadster, CR-X Si R, Trueno AE86, and even more for the famous Demio A-Spec (RM form 35% lighter in JP version than in PAL).
Powers are the same (with PS/HP factor around 1.03) at least for untuned/stock figures.
Feel much better now :P

Attachments

• GT1nerdythings.xls
    43 KB · Views: 25
:eek: Wow, that's nerdy stuff! Love it! :D:bowdown:
From where the bloody heck did you extract this?

Anyway it confirms my first guess about AI's setups: they use the "Super Close" gearbox, at least in every challenging competition, starting from "Country VS Country" to iA license Series (I just checked on a few cars for which I had all the tune up parts).
Could explain why AIs are not so bad in Tuned Cup, or All Night 2. And why the [R]Viper GTS or RT/10 is so disappointing in "US vs xy": the 7 speeds tranny is way too long for it. Contrary for Corvette 96 or Griffith, for which "Super Close" ratios are (a bit long but) correct.
Thanks for sharing :)

All from the RAM while i loaded the game, using Cheat Engine :P
You're welcome ^^
And indeed, they almost always use the super close ratios, which is why Megaspeed opponents are so slow haha

Your writing style is so adorable submaniac93, I can't help but want to hug you tight whenever I see a post of yours... >_<

Regardless, that's pretty impressive, I love finding out all these little tidbits about GT1 and you seem to find most of the interesting stuff *hugs*

Hey it's quite a long time since the last post! :)
Decided to create a large image file to summarize the thread:

full

All 62 Prize Cars (26 distinct types) you can get from winning the 16 championships that earn you a vehicle.
Majority of yellow ones (11) and purple (11 also, including the weird purplish Skyline GT-R '91?), followed by 8 blue cars (including the other weird blueish Skyline GT-R '91?), then 6 green, 6 black and 6 white ones (including stripes).

Capital discussion about the meaning of this distribution is open... See you in one year or ten for the final conclusion. ;)

I've always thought that the special colour cars often feature yellow and / or purple simply because they're striking to look at and the stock cars rarely come in those colours.

I strongly suspect that PD created every car in a neutral silver then had an art tool that applied a given colour to them, and quite a few of the purple and yellow cars look like they reused the shades from the SilEighty. There are other matches too, like the green on the Evo, Celica, and maybe the Silvia Q's, as well as the blue on the Civic and Trueno.

Hey it's quite a long time since the last post! :)
Decided to create a large image file to summarize the thread:

All 62 Prize Cars (26 distinct types) you can get from winning the 16 championships that earn you a vehicle.
Majority of yellow ones (11) and purple (11 also, including the weird purplish Skyline GT-R '91?), followed by 8 blue cars (including the other weird blueish Skyline GT-R '91?), then 6 green, 6 black and 6 white ones (including stripes).

Capital discussion about the meaning of this distribution is open... See you in one year or ten for the final conclusion. ;)

Woah amazing work 👍 Definitely brings back some memories. Any chance that a GT2 version is coming? :D

[...] I strongly suspect that PD created every car in a neutral silver then had an art tool that applied a given colour to them, and quite a few of the purple and yellow cars look like they reused the shades from the SilEighty. There are other matches too, like the green on the Evo, Celica, and maybe the Silvia Q's, as well as the blue on the Civic and Trueno.
Totally agreed :) The "copper" color seems to be the same also for the Impreza and the Supra RZ, maybe with a slight "shining" difference. Same for the dark-red of the DB7 and Soarer.
For me the strangest ones are the "brown" Silvia Q's, the purple from the Lancer Evo IV, the Azure blue from the Supra RZ and the gold from the Miata :) And the pink-red-purple of the '91 GT-R, for sure!
Woah amazing work 👍 Definitely brings back some memories. Any chance that a GT2 version is coming? :D
Thank you, but it's quite easy to create this even with free softwares. If you got the picture files, you need half an hour. Yet I don't have GT2, so I can't do it :guilty: :)
But a quick way to have it done would be to find a save file with all prize cars, extract pictures, etc etc...

Last edited:
*psssst, there's only one Z in Impreza ;)*

Good work there :P
I agree with pez2k on the coloring method. PD for sure used recoloring to make paints and it's especially visible here in GT1 because cars had the least variety in colors. Plus, all of the beta cars, whether in GT1 or 2 often come in plain Silver, which supports that theory.
Hue/saturation with a Level and you have a new color heh

Did the Cerebra LM not come in silver and blue as well? Or was that just in GT2 or maybe a race modified one?

GT2 replaced the green with blue when the Cerbera LM was entirely remade to look a bit more like the real car.

Thanks for confirming that for me Pez. :-D

Edit: I just had to go and put GT on after these threads, the blue Cerbera was a racing mod as well.

Last edited:
Returning to previous post on mysterious 'rarity' on prize car colours, Mouc, I too am getting in trouble of getting a second colour for almost each prize car. I started to feel like either PAL version has just one colour of a prize car, or that the randomness is semi-rigged, and I always trigger the same colour to be won. The cars I struggle to get the second colour are, of course:

• Red LM CRX Del-Sol
• Green-stripes GTR-S Viper
• Green LM FTO
• Green LM Cerbera

I also suspect that there could be a garage size limit, and that upon hitting it, I can only receive cars with one colour.

Though, seeing that, Mouc managed to get an alternate colour eventually, I feel like I could try again. Should I try 20 more times? It is still hard for me to believe that a second colour is possible on PAL

Returning to previous post on mysterious 'rarity' on prize car colours, Mouc, I too am getting in trouble of getting a second colour for almost each prize car. I started to feel like either PAL version has just one colour of a prize car, or that the randomness is semi-rigged, and I always trigger the same colour to be won. The cars I struggle to get the second colour are, of course:

• Red LM CRX Del-Sol
• Green-stripes GTR-S Viper
• Green LM FTO
• Green LM Cerbera

I also suspect that there could be a garage size limit, and that upon hitting it, I can only receive cars with one colour.

Though, seeing that, Mouc managed to get an alternate colour eventually, I feel like I could try again. Should I try 20 more times? It is still hard for me to believe that a second colour is possible on PAL
I did some tests a few months ago: I entered and won US vs. Japan, made a save state right before the championship prize screen, went to the garage to see which car and colour I won, then loaded the save state and tried again. The odds of winning either the Viper GTS-R or FTO LM was 50:50, but 90% of the time I won either the green FTO or green-striped Viper. I did the event again, save-stated before the prize screen, same story, 90% green or green-stripes.

I then completed GT World Cup all the way through, watched the end credits (after reading in a different thread that it affected someone's colour RNG), then re-did US vs. Japan. This time, I won the black FTO or blue-striped Viper around 75% of the time.

So yeah, I think some hidden variable is being used to determine the colour odds, that can be manipulated by certain actions (either beating GT World or watching the end credits seems to be plausible, there may be other ways). It seems to be like how, in GT3 NTSC-J, you could manipulate the roulette RNG by entering the options menu or watching the replay movies by idling in the main menu. Maybe give this a try and see if it flips your odds.

Last edited:
The odds of winning either the Viper GTS-R or FTO LM was 50:50, but 90% of the time I won either the green FTO or green-striped Viper.

The RNG is solely based on the system clock timer (TMR_SYSCLOCK_VAL / 0x1F801120, not the CPU clock). When limited to a range of 2 values, it flicks back and forth between them each tick of the clock. The RNG is called twice, once for the car, and once for the colour, but the value for the colour is deliberately inverted (1, 0, 1, 0 instead of 0, 1, 0, 1 etc).

Prize 0 for the US-JP event is the FTO, with black as colour 0 and green as colour 1.
Prize 1 for the US-JP event is the Viper, with green as colour 0 and blue as colour 1.

Your results above then suggest that the two RNG calls are often returning the same value, car 0 usually with colour 1 (as the colour value is inverted), and car 1 usually with colour 0.

I don't know what platform was used for the testing, but I'd be interested to see what the randomness is like on real hardware. It could be that the platform used doesn't reflect the clock behaviour properly, or it could be that Polyphony have managed to write the code in such a way that both calls often fire within the same system clock tick (I don't know how long that is and I don't know if the SDK docs would have listed it). Either way, it's a mystery why various actions might change that behaviour, as there's nothing deliberate that would do so.

Back