All The Cars in the Gran Turismo Movie (and How Likely They Are to Come to the Game)

• Thread starter Famine
  • 47 comments
They're DVLA-issue Ghost Plates, specifically used for filming.
Maybe, it seems lazy and poorly researched to not match them up realistically when TV shows can use 'real' plates. Not a single car in this picture is on an obviously 'wrong' plate, albeit because theyre usuing the actual plates relating to the vehicles. At best it makes Sony look cheap for not owning the cars it used for filming.
Screenshot_20231009_191913_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
I must say, I prefer the ingame HUD of the movie over the one the game actually has.
The MFD is missing though.

No maybe about it.

It's a legal requirement for cars that are being filmed on the public road in the UK (side note: the Cardiff chase was clearly filmed at Pinewood, but despite being on-site at Pinewood and behind a security barrier, Pinewood's roads are "publicly accessible" and have the same legal requirements as the public road; I've been there and driven round it in my MX-3!) to have registration plates even if the car has no UK identity, is not road legal, or cannot be licenced. The DVLA issues ghost plates for this reason. You can easily look this up.

it seems lazy and poorly researched to not match them up realistically when TV shows can use 'real' plates. Not a single car in this picture is on an obviously 'wrong' plate, albeit because theyre usuing the actual plates relating to the vehicles.
It's because they're cars with a UK identity and are already registered here. This is extremely common with domestic TV productions which don't have the money to source whatever they like and have to borrow "hero" cars from members of the public.

There's actually a reasonable industry of people with older common cars that lend them to TV productions in the UK. That's why, since you like IMCDB, you'll see the same cars cropping up over and over again on IMCDB.

And that shot with the Saab is street-filmed, so the parked cars will just be the cars that normally live there anyway. Productions filming on public, urban roads don't clear the streets and put their own cars in place...

At best it makes Sony look cheap for not owning the cars it used for filming.
Actually, the opposite is true. Few productions own the cars they use for filming, aside from those which are built for the film (often madcap creations). Most source cars locally and borrow them off members of the public, as above. On this occasion, all the cars used in the UK filming have ghost plates, so are not cars that are road legal in the UK, meaning Sony had enough clout to drag them in from all over the world to the on-site production, and then send them back from whence they came.

That said, the choices do confuse me a little as they're all cars available in the UK and RHD. I suspect that they're either of Irish origin or prettied-up write-offs they've spent some time making cosmetically okay (after all, it was filmed entirely in the dark) and scrapped afterwards; I can't think of many other reasons for cars of this type to not have a UK identity.

Anyway,

1696878365248.png

As I said in the rest of my post, a 911 GT3 Cup car, if it comes to the game, will go into Gr.3 alongside the GTE-based RSR - and likely replace it as the loaner for the World Series Manufacturers Cup. That's pretty much because anything near enough to Gr.3 specs gets rammed in there.
I have no arguments regarding the probable placement of the 992 GT3 Cup in the game as long as it shows up :) However, the below quote (emphasis mine) is factually incorrect. Porsche's current GT3 race car is called 911 GT3 R, the Cup car is not GT3-spec regardless of its name.

Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 992​

This pops up pretty early on in an in-game sequence, with Jann racing some friends/rivals in — somehow — an Arcade Race. Launched in 2021 as Porsche’s GT3 race car

I have no arguments regarding the probable placement of the 992 GT3 Cup in the game as long as it shows up :) However, the below quote (emphasis mine) is factually incorrect. Porsche's current GT3 race car is called 911 GT3 R, the Cup car is not GT3-spec regardless of its name.
Not GT3 (category), but GT3 (car).

Although I recall it uses the Turbo chassis, and has a sequential dog box, but otherwise it's a race car based on the GT3 road car.

The whole way Porsche names stuff really could do with a rethink. Considering the also-referenced brouhaha with Aston over the GT3 name when Lotus beat them both to it...

Not GT3 (category), but GT3 (car).

Although I recall it uses the Turbo chassis, and has a sequential dog box, but otherwise it's a race car based on the GT3 road car.

The whole way Porsche names stuff really could do with a rethink. Considering the also-referenced brouhaha with Aston over the GT3 name when Lotus beat them both to it...
With all due respect (coming from a non-native English "speaker"), your wording for me make it sound like you refer to the GT3 category. I may be the only one here but if I read "Launched ... as Porsche’s GT3 race car", this is a more generic sounding sentence referring to Porsche's latest offering for the GT3 category, and much less as a reference for a race car that is built upon the road-going 911 GT3 car.

As far as Porsche naming conventions go, that's a rabbit hole I don't want to go down right now :) As far as the Aston goes, it's interesting but personally I don't care much about Astons, they look all the same to me (yes, I do feel the irony here after splitting hair on 911 names :) ), they never touched me per se.

Instead of Ligier, it would be more logical to add a related DPI Ligier-Nissan category car that can be placed in both Gr1 and Gr2 categories (as we know the current GT500 cars are faster than LeMans Hypercars) Also you have an error in your post regarding the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, it is not a car that is comparable to the 911 RSR GTE, it is the 911 GT3R 992 to replace the 911 RSR 991.

1696956148125.png

Last edited:
Also you have an error in your post regarding the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, it is not a car that is comparable to the 911 RSR GTE, it is the 911 GT3R 992 to replace the 911 RSR 991.
You could probably do with reading the thread, or even just this page.

I'm not saying anything about the 911 GT3 Cup's real-world positioning, but that it would probably go into Gr.3 if it came into the game - like the 991 RSR does.

You could probably do with reading the thread, or even just this page.

I'm not saying anything about the 911 GT3 Cup's real-world positioning, but that it would probably go into Gr.3 if it came into the game - like the 991 RSR does.
How can Cup cars that go at most GT4 pace or slower get into Gr3?)))

How can Cup cars that go at most GT4 pace or slower get into Gr3?)))
Same way anything else ends up in the entirely fictional Gr.3 category full of GTE cars, fake cars, and one-make track day specials.

Also, 2023 N24 qualifying times:
SP9 Pole - Team Bilstein - Mercedes-AMG GT3 Evo - 8:15.779
Cup 2 Pro Pole - Muhlner Motorsport - Porsche 992 GT3 Cup - 8:29.437
SP10 Pole - Dorr Motorsport - Aston Martin Vantage AMR GT4 - 8:53.993

But sure, gT4 PaCe Or SlOwEr.

Last edited:
Same way anything else ends up in the entirely fictional Gr.3 category full of GTE cars, fake cars, and one-make track day specials.
Well if Gr3 starts getting near production cars at the level of Mazda Cup, Seat Leon Cup and 911 Cup, not being silhouettes like the Impreza WRX Gr3, it would be a curious scenario)))

Last edited:
Don't tell me the website about Gran Turismo is making an article about Gran Turismo!? What!!!

Gran Turismo movie. How many more articles can they milk from the GRAN TURISMO MOVIE. There maybe it's more clear for you. What!!!!!!

but it would be a first ever Ligier/OnRoak car in the series and tough to slot into the current race car categories.
You make it sound like they put thought into such things! :confused: The evidence of their random car releases, with sometimes little relation to anything else in the game, would say otherwise. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back