All Things Brass

• Thread starter Volksauto
  • 9 comments
United States
United States
Stawookie
This is where you can post photos and videos of all things about Brass Era cars. A lesser appreciated group of cars in today´s modern world. Basically the term Brass Era means a car built from 1896-1915 normally because they had brass trim on radiators and headlamps. But a few years around that range is alright too.
Ill start with some racing cars:

1910 Buick 60 Special
BuickBug1-1024x545.jpg

1902 Ford 999
THF90218.jpg

1914 Mercedes 18/100 GP Car
Mercedes-18-100-Grand-Prix-48396.jpg

I like the idea of a thread dedicated to brass era cars. Let me start with one of my favorites, the Hispano-Suiza T45 aka Alfonso XIII. The King of Spain was a great lover of automobiles, and owned 30 Hispanos which is how this particular model ended up being named after him. It had a large 3619cc inline-4 engine that produced about 60 hp which was good for about 120 kph. It mostly was sold as a roadster but could be ordered with just about any body the customer wanted. Approximately 500 were produced between 1911-1914, with a few made as late as 1920.

1911 Hispano-Suiza Alfonso XIII Roadster

1913 Hispano-Suiza Alfonso XIII Double Berline, 100% original and unrestored

1912 Hispano-Suiza Alfonso XIII Roadster

1911 Hispano-Suiza Alfonso XIII Roadster

I am especially fond of Renault's "coal scuttle" bonnet years. The look came from the fact they mounted the radiator behind the engine. They held on to the style for far too long, but it made for some unique looking cars. Even when they finally relented and moved the radiator to the front, they kept the style until finally mounting less interesting but much more mainstream grills on their cars in the 1930s.

1905 Renault YA Double Phaéton roi-des-belges

1909 Renault AX 3-Seater

1912 Renault CB Town Car

1913 Renault Type AG aka Taxi de la Marne

1923 Renault KJ-1 Tourer

1924 Renault NM 40 CV

1925 Renault KZ 10 CV

1926 Renault NN

1929 Renault Monastella

I am especially fond of Renault's "coal scuttle" bonnet years. The look came from the fact they mounted the radiator behind the engine. They held on to the style for far too long, but it made for some unique looking cars. Even when they finally relented and moved the radiator to the front, they kept the style until finally mounting less interesting but much more mainstream grills on their cars in the 1930s.

1905 Renault YA Double Phaéton roi-des-belges

1909 Renault AX 3-Seater

1912 Renault CB Town Car

1913 Renault Type AG aka Taxi de la Marne

1923 Renault KJ-1 Tourer

1924 Renault NM 40 CV

1925 Renault KZ 10 CV

1926 Renault NN

1929 Renault Monastella
I wonder if Renault would've kept that grille/hood style on their modern cars as a trademark look. But to be honest, I think they would look pretty ugly. But that design fits the cars above perfectly.

A few Franklin models also featured a similar style hood as the Renaults. Mainly because Franklins were air-cooled and didn't have radiators so the front could be more aerodynamic.
10-Franklin-Type-H_Derham-DV-09_GG_030-800.jpg

1910 Model H
stroj_zoom_15301.jpg

1910 28HP Runabout
franklin-model-k-1912-5.jpg

1912 Model K Touring

1903 Cadillac Model A: 6.5 hp, 98.2 cu. in. Leland & Faulconer “Little Hercules” horizontal single-cylinder engine, two-speed planetary transmission with reverse, solid front axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and single chain drive, and dual differential-mounted brakes. These are all from the first year of production. Other than the two delivery wagons and a touring car, all are runabouts with or without a rear-entry tonneau.

Old Number 13. Thirteenth Cadillac built, one of the oldest surviving. First Cadillac in California.

1903 Cadillac Model A: 6.5 hp, 98.2 cu. in. Leland & Faulconer “Little Hercules” horizontal single-cylinder engine, two-speed planetary transmission with reverse, solid front axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and single chain drive, and dual differential-mounted brakes. These are all from the first year of production. Other than the two delivery wagons and a touring car, all are runabouts with or without a rear-entry tonneau.

Old Number 13. Thirteenth Cadillac built, one of the oldest surviving. First Cadillac in California.
I've always had a soft spot for Cadillac and Ford Model A's. Such elegant designs and pretty modern for their time.

One day, I'd love to witness the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run. The first run was held in 1896 and was revived in 1927. Now it is annually continued. Only cars built between 1896 and 1905 can qualify for the event. It's a brass/veteran car lover's dream!

One day, I'd love to witness the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run. The first run was held in 1896 and was revived in 1927. Now it is annually continued. Only cars built between 1896 and 1905 can qualify for the event. It's a brass/veteran car lover's dream!

One of my great shames is I lived in England from 1982 to 1984 and I never attended the London to Brighton Run. I did make it to the British GP at Brands Hatch in '82 though.

Back