Alternative to Shuffle Race?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kekke2000
  • 55 comments
  • 2,592 views
Seriously, I've had the impression that some people might:
1) dislike the game for not having enough stuff
2) at the same time dont care about huge online options
contradictory much? Complaining about something they don't care to get into? really?
Do you not understand the difference between the time required to go shuffle racing and the time required to build and tune a garage of several hundred cars? Let me lay it out for you:

Shuffle - Zero hours, turn on the game and join the lobby, done.
Building a garage of hundreds of cars and tuning them - dozens and dozens of hours, perhaps hundreds only to go online to randomly find lobbies to drive in, most of which have RS tires on.

You (and me) are not a typical player of GT. Most people don't like tuning and just want to plug and play or close to it. GT5 had that with Shuffle. We presumed GT6 would have Shuffle along with Matchmaking and the Community Features and it has none of those. GT6 is a huge step backwards from GT5 and GT5 online was not advanced to begin with.
 
GT didn't see fit to provide the entire garage or a large portion of it for one-make racing online, in fact the selection is not as good as GT5 in terms of street cars so one make is rare in Open Lobbies.

Actually, as of 1.05 you can pretty much limit the room to any stock one-make you want to. For example, say I wanted to do a one-make race with the Ferrari '84 GTO, I would set the room restrictions to Ferrari as the only manufacturer, PP at 420, engine to MR, HP to 413, weight to 1160kg, and tuning prohibited. Then when I go to my "eligible cars" in my garage only the '84 GTO will be displayed and that's all that will be allowed on the track. So if someone wants to participate they'll have to use that car and not their X2014 fan car.

Obviously this method isn't 100% perfect, occasionally another car model will fall into those specs and show up as eligible but usually only the desired car will be competitive so it will be the only one chosen. I haven't attempted this in a public room yet but I've tested the settings with several different makes/models and so far it works very well. 9 out of 10 times only the desired car shows up as eligible and on the rare occasion another car slips in there it's usually been well out of the competitive range and thus nobody would choose it.

👍
 
Actually, as of 1.05 you can pretty much limit the room to any stock one-make you want to. For example, say I wanted to do a one-make race with the Ferrari '84 GTO, I would set the room restrictions to Ferrari as the only manufacturer, PP at 420, engine to MR, HP to 413, weight to 1160kg, and tuning prohibited. Then when I go to my "eligible cars" in my garage only the '84 GTO will be displayed and that's all that will be allowed on the track. So if someone wants to participate they'll have to use that car and not their X2014 fan car.

Obviously this method isn't 100% perfect, occasionally another car model will fall into those specs and show up as eligible but usually only the desired car will be competitive so it will be the only one chosen. I haven't attempted this in a public room yet but I've tested the settings with several different makes/models and so far it works very well. 9 out of 10 times only the desired car shows up as eligible and on the rare occasion another car slips in there it's usually been well out of the competitive range and thus nobody would choose it.

👍
So that's what you've been doing in those secret test sessions:lol:
All true but it's such a cumbersome way of doing things in an Open Lobby with casual players when you just want to go online and race. And of course, if you don't have that car, you can't race. It would be so much simpler if they just made every single car available online for one-make racing.
 
So that's what you've been doing in those secret test sessions:lol:
All true but it's such a cumbersome way of doing things in an Open Lobby with casual players when you just want to go online and race. And of course, if you don't have that car, you can't race. It would be so much simpler if they just made every single car available online for one-make racing.

Among other things. :sly:

Yes, it's a bit cumbersome and not perfect, but just like many other things in the GT series it works well as a DIY method. As long as you're not limiting it to really expensive cars it shouldn't be a big deal for someone to go purchase one, change the oil and rejoin the room for some racing. It would work best by sticking to just one or two cars a night so people aren't having to constantly jump out to buy the car.

Certainly, having every car available as a courtesy car (or at least more than the tiny number we have now) would be much better but at least we have a crude way of making it work.
 
Among other things. :sly:

Yes, it's a bit cumbersome and not perfect, but just like many other things in the GT series it works well as a DIY method. As long as you're not limiting it to really expensive cars it shouldn't be a big deal for someone to go purchase one, change the oil and rejoin the room for some racing. It would work best by sticking to just one or two cars a night so people aren't having to constantly jump out to buy the car.

Certainly, having every car available as a courtesy car (or at least more than the tiny number we have now) would be much better but at least we have a crude way of making it work.
I'm sold!!! How about you invite the boys, let's go online and do some Spec Racing this week? Pick a couple of cars for the experiment to keep the interest level up and off we go!!

So what time will you be on tonight?:lol:
 
I'm sold!!! How about you invite the boys, let's go online and do some Spec Racing this week? Pick a couple of cars for the experiment to keep the interest level up and off we go!!

So what time will you be on tonight?:lol:

:sly: I will be on this evening to fool around, if you wanna jump In to give this method some testing feel free. If we get good results we can whip up a tutorial for the boys and maybe give it a proper test this weekend. 👍
 
Seriously, I've had the impression that some people might:
1) dislike the game for not having enough stuff
2) at the same time dont care about huge online options

contradictory much? Complaining about something they don't care to get into? really?

You keep repeating to us about these "huge online options" but can never tell us what they are. When I asked you about game modes earlier you told me about vehicle classes. They aren't game modes, just as handguns and assault rifles aren't modes in shooters.

GT6 Online has one main option, create a lobby, and from that a few basic options for how you want to label that lobby and restrict who/what can come into it. That's it. That's GT6 online.
 
Do you not understand the difference between the time required to go shuffle racing and the time required to build and tune a garage of several hundred cars? Let me lay it out for you:

Shuffle - Zero hours, turn on the game and join the lobby, done.
Building a garage of hundreds of cars and tuning them - dozens and dozens of hours, perhaps hundreds only to go online to randomly find lobbies to drive in, most of which have RS tires on.

You (and me) are not a typical player of GT. Most people don't like tuning and just want to plug and play or close to it. GT5 had that with Shuffle. We presumed GT6 would have Shuffle along with Matchmaking and the Community Features and it has none of those. GT6 is a huge step backwards from GT5 and GT5 online was not advanced to begin with.
Yes, I said I agree that Shuffle should return.
However theres a big difference from "some missing features" to "useless online"

You keep repeating to us about these "huge online options" but can never tell us what they are. When I asked you about game modes earlier you told me about vehicle classes. They aren't game modes, just as handguns and assault rifles aren't modes in shooters.

GT6 Online has one main option, create a lobby, and from that a few basic options for how you want to label that lobby and restrict who/what can come into it. That's it. That's GT6 online.
How many game modes you want apart from lobbies with races in it? Its a racing game, what do you expect?
 
Play other racing games online and then ask yourself the same question again.
 
Actually, as of 1.05 you can pretty much limit the room to any stock one-make you want to. For example, say I wanted to do a one-make race with the Ferrari '84 GTO, I would set the room restrictions to Ferrari as the only manufacturer, PP at 420, engine to MR, HP to 413, weight to 1160kg, and tuning prohibited. Then when I go to my "eligible cars" in my garage only the '84 GTO will be displayed and that's all that will be allowed on the track. So if someone wants to participate they'll have to use that car and not their X2014 fan car.

Obviously this method isn't 100% perfect, occasionally another car model will fall into those specs and show up as eligible but usually only the desired car will be competitive so it will be the only one chosen. I haven't attempted this in a public room yet but I've tested the settings with several different makes/models and so far it works very well. 9 out of 10 times only the desired car shows up as eligible and on the rare occasion another car slips in there it's usually been well out of the competitive range and thus nobody would choose it.

👍


I messed around with the same idea, when I was still playing GT6. Another thing that would make it even easier is starting a club for it on GT Planet & have a list of cars commonly used posted up. That way, most guys in the room will have the required vehicles.
 
Play other racing games online and then ask yourself the same question again.
I dont have time ATM to get into other racing games. Care to explain please?
 
Shuffle was far from perfect. There still were differences in car performance, lots of cars were terrible to drive, and you could not select a custom tire type.
Also, of course, you could not tune any car to fit your driving style.
But that's exactly the point of shuffle races. You don't know where, what and against whom you'll race.

The only problems I had with shuffle racing were muscle cars (except the Cobra), tires that had too much grip and sometimes a lack of variety. The game had 1000+ cars but I think I've only used like 50 different cars.
 
I dont have time ATM to get into other racing games. Care to explain please?

You've not played any other racing games online in the past? If so, that would explain a lot.
 
You've not played any other racing games online in the past? If so, that would explain a lot.
I've always been a GT guy. I would try other games like Forza if I had an xbox but I dont.
And my computer is a bit old to play the newest games at a good resultion so I prefer the PS3.

Please explain me these wonderful game modes and features...
 
I know I really shouldn't ask this question here, but I'll try asking anyway hoping no one will beat me up.

....what's shuffle racing?
 
Try a rain racing room limited to rwd and CH tires. Low hp, like around 400-450pp and you will have a blast. Did that the other night and the room was constantly laughing. Also pick technical courses.
 
I know I really shouldn't ask this question here, but I'll try asking anyway hoping no one will beat me up.

....what's shuffle racing?
In GT5 when you went online, the host was able to create a room called "Shuffle Racing". In shuffle racing the host chooses the PP in 20PP increments like 380, 400, 420 etc. You then enter the track and the game picks a car for you that fits the regs. All races are reverse grid of the previous race. The host can also set a performance differential where the higher finishers in the previous race get slower cars.

You never knew what car you would get so it gave you a chance to drive all kinds of cars you wouldn't normally drive. Atmosphere was generally more relaxed compared to other types of lobbies too.

I've always been a GT guy. I would try other games like Forza if I had an xbox but I dont.
And my computer is a bit old to play the newest games at a good resultion so I prefer the PS3.

Please explain me these wonderful game modes and features...
Many of your posts in here make sense now. Without knowing what else is possible in terms of online racing, I can see where one might think GT kind of has it covered. Once you find out what other games have and what's coming in the next few months in Project Cars for example, you'll realize that GT's online is barebones at best.
 
In GT5 when you went online, the host was able to create a room called "Shuffle Racing". In shuffle racing the host chooses the PP in 20PP increments like 380, 400, 420 etc. You then enter the track and the game picks a car for you that fits the regs. All races are reverse grid of the previous race. The host can also set a performance differential where the higher finishers in the previous race get slower cars.

You never knew what car you would get so it gave you a chance to drive all kinds of cars you wouldn't normally drive. Atmosphere was generally more relaxed compared to other types of lobbies too.

Ah now I understand! :cheers: Thanks!
This sounds pretty fun indeed, I can see why many people want it back. I would like to have it too!
 
I'm sold!!! How about you invite the boys, let's go online and do some Spec Racing this week? Pick a couple of cars for the experiment to keep the interest level up and off we go!!

So what time will you be on tonight?:lol:
@BrandonW77 @Johnnypenso - If you all don't mind I'll look for you online later as well if I get on. Would be after 8pm central.

@Johnnypenso - I've been meaning to ping you since I changed the account I use online. I'll send you an FR from my GTP_skeeter23 acct... @BrandonW77 - I'll likely send one to you as well if you don't mind :)
 
@smskeeter23, that will probably be about the time I'm logging off for the night but the man with the greatest signature on GTP is welcome in any of my rooms. 👍
 
@BrandonW77 @Johnnypenso - If you all don't mind I'll look for you online later as well if I get on. Would be after 8pm central.

@Johnnypenso - I've been meaning to ping you since I changed the account I use online. I'll send you an FR from my GTP_skeeter23 acct... @BrandonW77 - I'll likely send one to you as well if you don't mind :)

I'll look for the FR. When I make it online I try to find street car lobbies 350-500 PP on SH tires or less but sometimes it's hard to find and I end up on SS by default.
@smskeeter23, that will probably be about the time I'm logging off for the night but the man with the greatest signature on GTP is welcome in any of my rooms. 👍
Thanks Buddy!!

Oh, you mean Skeeter?:sly:
 
@BrandonW77 thanks man. Further response is also technically possible.

I'll look for the FR. When I make it online I try to find street car lobbies 350-500 PP on SH tires or less but sometimes it's hard to find and I end up on SS by default.
Thanks Buddy!!

Oh, you mean Skeeter?:sly:

You know, I actually have you to thank for liking shuffle and no tune racing. The first time I ever had fun racing online was in a room you were running. Good clean racing, so much I didn't even care that I wasn't in the top 3 lol.

This idea sounds promising. Lately I haven't bothered looking for a room. I just setup a 550pp no tune CS room and if people join great otherwise I just hotlap until I get bored. Would be nice to get into a pack again. 👍
 
Here's a couple of examples of how it works. Set the restrictions to the manufacturer, PP, HP, weight and drivetrain of the car you want and in all likelihood you will eliminate all but the desired car. Obviously there will be the occasional undesired car(s) that fits the restrictions so it's not perfect but most of the time it won't be an issue.

458 Italia
image.jpg
image.jpg


365 GTB4
image.jpg
image.jpg
 
Theoretically you could also use this to include a group of cars with multiple versions. Like limiting it to the Mazda Garage and spec it so several Miata models fit. Same with S2000's, RX-7's, etc. etc. etc. You may be on to something here Brandon:cheers:
 
Theoretically you could also use this to include a group of cars with multiple versions. Like limiting it to the Mazda Garage and spec it so several Miata models fit. Same with S2000's, RX-7's, etc. etc. etc. You may be on to something here Brandon:cheers:

I was thinking that as I was typing that post. When other cars do qualify they might be close enough to run together and have a two or three make race.
 
As @KingKlingeling mentioned, I recommend trying out the Mixer Makeshift Shuffle races. They include multiple variations and have a performance gradient to accommodate people of different skill levels (similar to 'ratio' function worked in GT5 shuffle). The cars have been tested by multiple people to create a good ratio between best and worst cars. @watermelonpunch runs it overall, with other people hosting as well (@amarynceos). It is a good time, at least give the OP a read to give it a chance and understand the concept...and maybe help your shuffle withdrawal.

I play when I have some spare time. I cant follow a schedule.
 
Back