Am I getting bored of video games?

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Lukanyon, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Lukanyon

Lukanyon

Playing video games has been my main hobby since 2007. My father bought me a PlayStation 2 and thereafter I've bought my own consoles. I bought my PS4 Pro 2 years ago.

Racing games have always been my favorite genre. I had more than 20 different titles for the PS2, and in this generation I've bought most of the main releases. I've also played some RPGs and action/adventure titles that I loved. But lately, playing is one of the things I have the least interest in doing.

I spend much more time on YouTube and Netflix now, even though I still watch some videos about gaming. I think that playing games, which used to be my way to releive stress, is now causing it. I feel better watching someone play a game (or actually watching anything else) than playing it.

I wondered why this was happening and I thought that maybe I was just tired of this console generation, because I've never been so anxious to see the next consoles. I've even created my own blog to talk about racing games. But now I don't even know if I'm gonna buy a new console. I don't want to buy it just for racing games, but on the other hand I don't feel like playing anything else.

Have some of you guys been through this? What have you done and what do you think I should do?

BKGlover and VBR like this.
  2. doblocruiser

doblocruiser

Simply live your life without worrying about videogames :cheers:

I can relate to your feelings. I've been a console player for over 20 years and I went to multiple periods like yours. Important is that you have a hobby in which you can decompress. I've been going out into nature more and more since a couple of months and gaming has less and less place. Over the wintermonths I see myself playing a bit more but as soon as the sun is out, I prefer to take the dog or bike a spend some hours outside.

I am still interested in games but not to the point that I must have the new gen console on launch. I am in no hurry at all and I only buy games for this gen I really want to play. I am not tired of gaming but simply a lot less interested and with that I mean that I don't want to spend too much time on it anymore.

Just think about what you want to do and what makes you happy. Don't let others or social media pressure you into something that inside of you you don't 100% agree with.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Brend, FerrariF1GT, raven214 and 2 others like this.
  3. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

Games as a service grindfests? It is the nature of gaming these days. Fundamentally worse than the previous generation of games.

JoshMead and LeGeNd-1 like this.
  4. kikie

kikie Premium

I'm in the same boat. I can't get myself to playing racing games anymore.

FoRiZon and VBR like this.
  5. TJ13

TJ13 Premium

It's pretty much that you have to find a balance of fun and enjoyment without getting board.
    Some days I play for like 20 minutes others maybe an hour or two.
    It all depends on the content you have and how much you did.

Take a break here and there.
    It's good to see the outside world from time to time.

Lukanyon likes this.
  6. GTV0819

GTV0819 (Banned)

Pretty much the same goes for me, although I still play occasionally sometimes.

The only games that I am recently playing are in my laptop. Aside from that, I also currently have games that I could play in my PSP, DS, 3DS and PS3, all of which I'm not using that much anymore compared to before but that didn't mean that I have become bored of playing them. I'm thankful though that I still have all of them.

One reason I'm not playing that much anymore is because of work, too. However, in the past few days even when I have time, I'd rather do watch documentaries, movies or classic cartoons in my personal TV as well, which I just bought two months ago, while reading some books that have caught my interests.

So probably you didn't become bored of playing games or what but maybe because you're just doing other things that you recently found more interesting or something that makes you think you're using your time wisely, because somehow, this is what I'm feeling right now.

Lukanyon likes this.
  7. VBR

VBR Premium

I can totally relate to what you're saying @Lukanyon especially the part about spending more time watching people game on YouTube than actually gaming yourself.

:tup:

Lukanyon likes this.
  8. Moglet

Moglet Premium

Do whatever makes you happy. I've stopped playing games partly because I also work with them and it can get a bit tiring but mainly because it's easier to snack while watching videos. :lol:

R55NA and Lukanyon like this.
  9. TJ13

TJ13 Premium

Cat videos?
    :lol:

MrCrynox likes this.
  10. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

To be honest, I'd be surprised if you still felt exactly the same about gaming as a 15 year old, as you do now as an adult.

I think you should embrace it and find additional hobbies. You can always dip back into gaming when it feels less like something your obliged to do.

Lukanyon likes this.
  11. Lukanyon

Lukanyon

Thanks for the replies, guys. When I became a player I thought it would last my entire life. It's weird to see that feeling go away. :boggled:

Fortunately I've not given up on life. :lol: Besides watching movies and videos, I started working out and reading more. I also got back into music (I'm a musician) and I still play some games occasionally on my phone when I'm not busy with anything else.

doblocruiser and raven214 like this.
  12. GTV0819

GTV0819 (Banned)

In the future when you're old enough, you might also start watching your kids play video games, too. Who knows? It's just like changing of the guards and for sure, you would enjoy that. :lol:

Lukanyon likes this.
  13. Tristan H

Tristan H

One thing about the current generation of console racing games that puts me off is the push towards online racing and esports, to the detriment of single player and more casual playing experiences.

I've been playing more PS3 racers (rather than my PS4 Pro) as they seem to have better single player career modes, plus they work with my DFGT.

You don't need to have the fancy new console to have fun with a racing game.

Mr Fahrenheit, JoshMead and Lukanyon like this.
  14. Silver-Sylph

Silver-Sylph

This is something that I've been doing for many years now its kinda funny. I used to be all about playing games 10 years ago from all genres and now all I care about is racing games but even then I dont really play them. My friends are still huge into games and I just stopped playing and they dont get it but games dont grab me like they used to.

I mean when you're a kid your imagination runs wild and crappy stories can pull you in but when your older it actually takes some convincing to keep you interested. I can play arcade racers but they hold no weight to a sim with a wheel. Could also be that back then games were just flat out better and the business practices actually cared about the end consumer and that you get a finished product because once you shipped that disc the only way to fix it was to do another printing. Whereas now you can release half the game for the full price and make the other half a payable option. And now that I'm older i can recognize that greed and makes me way less inclined to support that studio. Madden/EA being a prime example of this for instance since that franchise makes more money off micro transactions then copies itself.

Brend, R55NA, VBR and 1 other person like this.
  15. Northstar

Northstar Premium

I think it's normal to game less as you get older. When you're a kid your hobby options are rather limited so video games are an easy choice, but as you venture into adulthood you get more freedom, and more money to try new things. Of course if you do still game as much as you used to that's fine as well.

In my case I played pretty much everything up to about 20, when I started focusing more on just racing games. These days most of my gaming time is spent either pretending to farm or haul cargo across Europe or the western U.S. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    VBR and Lukanyon like this.
  16. R55NA

R55NA

Gaming is one of my favourite hobbies, but I spend majority of my time reading about games on popular game sites, listening to podcasts about games, watching reviews, previews, conferences about them. I will probably never buy these games, but I find the topic interesting to see how the medium evolves.

I'm rarely playing a game

I think its normal to get bored of gaming, especially racing games. Oh, here is another track based racing game with the same tracks, and the same cars in, but with a different title.

Lukanyon likes this.
  17. Brend

Brend Premium

The point about stories is very on point. The stuff that gets passed around in story games as “masterpieces” these days is mindblowing. Fair play to those that enjoy it but if I see another damn skill tree and RPG elements infesting whatever game wants to artificially lengthen itself I'm gonna lose my mind.

Whatever happened to gameplay first?

doblocruiser likes this.