Am I the only one having difficulty with helmet cam?

• Thread starter hedges
  • 36 comments
SanchoPapa
SanchoPapa
I've managed to dial settings on my DFGT that made the game playable for me so I've been playing a good deal today. One thing I noticed though was that I consistently post better lap times with either the hood cam or the bumper cam. The difference is like 2 to 4 seconds.

Are there any tips to driving with the helmet cam? Should I invest more time in getting used to it? I just noticed that I can hit apexes better, compensate for mistakes better with the hood or bumper cam.

I have slight issues with it as well, but I love it regardless. I can use it, but post better lap times, like you, using the hood or normal inside view.

I put it down to one of two things, or both.

1. I've been conditioned for so many years of playing games without it.

or

2. Perhaps the amount of look to apex I use when driving is not the same angle as predetermined in the game.

I couldn't use the helmet cam without feeling mildly ill at first. I had the same problem playing Mirror's Edge. Then I got used to it and now I feel it is a substitute for really learning a track. The way the head moves around and looks into corners makes it impossible to be "surprised" by the track as long as you pay attention. I rotate between regular cock pit and the helmet cam, haven't really got a favorite as both views do things a little differently but both are fun and useful.

i use the normal cockpit cam. too much movement give me headache. I used it one time just for the trophy, however i wasn't fast, you need time to get used to it.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I guess I'll try to get used to it, maybe replay older events using the helmet cam.

It took some getting used to for me. At some point, I stopped noticing it was there. :lol:

I love it, and I'm in the same boat now, I don't even notice it.
Until I pop in Shift 1 or Race Pro, then I notice the lack of the look to Apex.

I'm way more consicous of my eyes and head movement while really driving now though, they sure nailed that.

Never did like cockpit views in driving/games - until now! Love the helmet cam and like others have noted once you get used to it you don't even notice the movements.
Yes, I have been a little quicker with hood/bumper cam at first but won't even go back to compare anymore as driving with an outside view feels more arcade like.

I don't find it a difficult FOV to use. However.., it certainly takes some getting used to. What I don't like is that in a way you're forced to use Helmet Cam if you want the "traditional" interior cam from the previous Shift.

In the first Shift (that had no cockpit cam).., the drivers FOV was further back. You had a much better view of the rear view, and side mirrors. In Shift-2.., the standard (cockpit view without Helmet Cam) has been pushed forward to the point that in many cases you can hardly see the rear view..., and the side view at times isn't even within sight.

To get that wider FOV in Shift-2 you're forced to use Helmet Cam.

Still getting used to the helmet cam. I'm starting to like it more. The other main thing is that it has a better FOV. If they didn't eff up the FOV from the regular view I would have used that instead. I wonder why they changed it so that your head is right up to the steering wheel, dash, and windshield. Stupid of them.

I really can't use it, completely disorientates me as I'm driving. I know I look to the apex in real life when driving karts and even in peoples cars but because I'm not controlling when the guy looks to the apex it makes me turn later causing understeer and makes me go wide more often, beside I also hate the way it blurs the mirrors mid-corner which makes it difficult to guage your position amongst the grid anyway. I tend to use the other interior view despite the narrower field of view, if not that then I use hood cam.

I don't like it - too many years of conditioning. The helmet cam moves left and makes me feel as if I've suddenly steered the car to the right. So I overcompensate and my driving isn't anywhere near as smooth.

I've often wanted a helmet cam to be featured in a game but now Shift has done it, I really don't like it. I may give it another try in the future, but the term "motion sickness" comes to mind.

Which is wierd when you're not really moving.

:P

I thought helmet cam looked brilliant in the videos leading up to launch. I then got my hands on the game and to be honest, I was a little disappointed as it was very distracting initially. I stuck with it however and I have to admit I love it now. I've actually not even tried any other view yet in this game.

My first reaction was something along the lines of "oh my god what is this, wtf is going on, what the hell is he doing, how do i stop this", after i had taken about 2 corners in the game, i then changed the view to the standard cockpit view and have no looked at it since.

:D

The more I try to use helmet cam, the more I'm convinced that it's a cool, but impractical, novelty. Sure, I'd use it once in a great while but not for when I want to win a race or set/beat a record.

OP, give it more of a chance, you will learn to love it and the game will immerse you more. I am a little faster with the hood cam and regular cockpit views but I just love the level of immersion with the helmet cam. Another tip, take off the entire HUD and just race with helmet cam view and nothing else on the screen! That is awesome and the immersion is great.

I like the idea of helmet cam, but I just can't use it. Probably used it for 2 or 3 hours now and my turn in is pretty good now, but I continue to over correct on exit. Back to classic cockpit view for me.

I love the helmet cam but I can't be fast when using it and there are some corners I really can't make like the corkscrew at laguna seca, with it :(

Nothing comes close in racing immersion than using the helmet cam surrounded by a bunch of AI's. Even visually its beautiful, specially at dawn. Just amazing.

I don't use it either. It's very cool on a playback, but you give up so much screen real-estate and resolution that its not worth it when laying down laps or racing.

I use the hood cam. Bumper cam doesn't give you proper vantage point.

M

Ive never used any view apart from cockpit and helmet,

Used helmet for so long I cant use cockpit anymore as i always feel I'm over/under steering when I'm 100% on the racing line.

If you don't use helmet cam, you are doing it wrong.

My braking gets all messed up with the helmet cam. I'm coming up to a corner and he starts to turn his head and I start hitting the brake, but I always end up braking too soft and going way wide.

It's a cool idea, but I'm a hood driver. When I'm happy with my G27 tune (still playing with the settings), then I'll mess around with the helmet cam.

Of course your not alone on this one. I can use it, but I won't be competitive. I prefer the regular cockpit or hood. Hood use to be my favorite but now I am becoming fond of the regular cockpit view.

its like on gt5. cockpit view is for boredom and grinding. but for faster lap times bumper cam is the on for me

I always use helmet cam. I love it and don't even notice I'm using the helmet cam anymore. Don't know if I'd be more competitive with another view, but he helmet cam is the most realistic to me.

maybe they will have something one day that can track your head when you play so the camera looks where you look, bumper for me, way more acurate and precise.

Back