Am I the only one having difficulty with helmet cam?

• Thread starter hedges
  • 36 comments
I don't care for the helmet cam. First.. you're looking at a flat TV screen. Your FOV with or without the helmet cam is already greatly reduced (if using a single screen set up). I think adding the helmet just crowds the drivers FOV way too much for single screen use.

Has anyone else noticed how much more pleasing the helmet cam is when using the Vintage Vehicles? In some of the vintage vehicles all you see is a small top portion of the helmet. It's so much less disorientating because your FOV is better.

I think the helmet cam is a decent idea.., however IMO its best application is really for mutiple screen set up. It's very disorientating when using a single screen. It would have been just as effective if the helmet graphics were removed and the left to right turning was still present. It IMO would be far less disorientating without the interior helmet graphics.

Ive never used any view apart from cockpit and helmet,

Used helmet for so long I cant use cockpit anymore as i always feel I'm over/under steering when I'm 100% on the racing line.

If you don't use helmet cam, you are doing it wrong.

Agreed and same here. Except for some of the sharp corners where the head rotation conflicts with straight braking, it feels very natural and easier to use for me than cockpit cam.

I find it funny when I see complaints that helmet cam is 'arcade' because it moves around simulating a real driver's viewpoint (speed blur also, simulating focus); yet a static camera, instant steering (read tyre/suspension) response and crystal clear vision of everything is 'sim.'

I find it funny when I see complaints that helmet cam is 'arcade' because it moves around simulating a real driver's viewpoint (speed blur also, simulating focus); yet a static camera, instant steering (read tyre/suspension) response and crystal clear vision of everything is 'sim.'

I see it that way though, without the head movement you are lacking a sense of realism, granted.

But having a head that looks on its own accord and have no relation to what you actually want to look at, is a distraction from realism. The speed blur thing too, yes when you look at the road the gauges are blurred, but when you actually want to look at the gauges, they should come in focus, with the current system it is just always blurred, that isn't realism.

Neither is realistic but at least the static cam doesn't try to project a fake sense of realism, hence more natural, less problem of a uncanny valley.

I still use the helmet cam occasionally though, the game seems much less static and sterile with it on. And it does in some way recreate the effect in real life where your vision can be affected by G-force, bumps etc.

As another poster said, at first found it disorienting, then after a few corners WOW!!!!

I've done a bit of 1:1 scale club racing and it comes far closer to the real experience of driving a car on a race track than any other view. It duplicates what you do even in everyday driving - your view shifts to the next corner as you approach it. I found the cockpit cam in GT5 frustrating and slow precisely because of the fixed view which means you don't get to plan your corner entry as well.

I've never bothered using any other view in Shift 2 - I imagine I could be faster in bumper cam (as in GT5) but it's one of the best things in the game and a massive leap forward in racing games.

I really enjoy it, and so use it all the time

I've now taken to also removing the HUD too, and it's fantastic especially at nightl
( HUD is a bit bright at night so spoils affects for me)

Also generally I like the blur, find it atmospheric, but I'm in two minds really about it,
removing the HUD makes it a tad annoying about the blurred gauges. I find that sometimes they are blurred when in reality you might have time to look e,g. On some straights. ( drivers have to do things at this time e.g. Brake biasing, so why not quick check of gauges)

I see it that way though, without the head movement you are lacking a sense of realism, granted.

But having a head that looks on its own accord and have no relation to what you actually want to look at, is a distraction from realism. The speed blur thing too, yes when you look at the road the gauges are blurred, but when you actually want to look at the gauges, they should come in focus, with the current system it is just....

HEY YO! IMALETUFINSIHBUTIJUSTWANTEDTOSAY

Im not sure about you, but when im turning a corner I usually want to look at the apex. The speed blur can be toned down if its too much for you, but im sure you will have perfect vision doing 250+ kph

Did the Spa at night. I was bored so I tried the helmet cam... If I had diapers I'd use them :D

I never drove a GT3 car at such a "slow" pace in this game and it still felt like AMAZING 👍

Obviously i also crashed... Chicanes, me and helmet cam don't get along too well :D

Back