Am I the only one who can't complete games?

• Thread starter chzsln485
  • 47 comments
..........Let's define what is "completion". If you mean seeing the ending movie (or somesuch) then I have completed a gazillion games. But if you mean 100% completion - collectibles, side quests, easter eggs, etc - then, uhhh, maybe I completed grand total of....one. Maybe two.

Like Elder Scrolls IV, for instance - I think I sank north of 300 hours into that game - and I still didn't 100% it. I remember this was literally ONLY game I played for months. I stopped because, well, Fallout 3 came out....and also sank 200+ hours on it. And....yup, didn't 100% it either. Then F:New Vegas came out and....well you can imagine the rest...

......On a side note, PLEASE Bethesda, release Fallout 4 ALREADY!!!! (and please ship it without soul-destroying bugs...)

Also on an another note: what if I stop playing a game because I find it....horrendous?
*cough* Dragon's Dogma *cough* Avoid.

I remember I had difficulty finishing Grand Theft Auto 3, it was and remains one mission away too (VCS: not so much). But usually for me it's adventure games that either get finished sort-of-quick or drag on for years. Recently I put one on my phone, but it's actually too much of a strain with the awkward controls, even if I was away from home with some time on my hands. :ouch:

For many types of action games, it used to be I didn't even consider finishing them. For instance 2D shooters that typically have no settings, though they may have had a finite number of levels or opponents. That's changed of course.

Another possibility is that I misjudge the difficulty, and get stuck with the retry loop. Needs to be at least a really good title to recover from that. Some also have annoying features, for instance making me wish my hard earned equipment wouldn't break quite so often.

As for trophies, my only platinum is from Gran Turismo 6.

Last edited:
The only games I've ever gotten 100% on were Midnight Club 3, which was almost a good 10 years ago, and Burnout Paradise.

We definitely have way more time as kids than now. :P
Those were the days.

Remember getting to end of following games back then: Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Kart, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat and Tekken 3.

Thankfully GT5 and GT6 have trophies which made them for me two easy games to complete and get Platinum (So far the only games I've completed on PS3). PS4 I've only completed Contrast. Xbox One just got to end of Killer Instinct 2 Classic and also Killer Instinct Classic.

What I dislike about a lot of games trophies and achievements are that it seems they are a chore to make you play the game longer. I get bored of games quicker nowadays due to probably being older. I've even got a lot of games I've owned for ages and still can't be bothered to play them. :lol:

Even racing games such as Assetto Corsa, got DLC for it a while back but still haven't got around to playing it and progression for that game is probably close to 0%. Similar for pCARS, Forza 5 and Grid Autosport. Driveclub, F1 2011 and Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends are probably closest games I'm to completing although I haven't played them in ages. Maybe having too much choice is overwhelming whether it be for gaming, TV or anything else.

Anyway, one day I plan on conquering WipEout HD even though I'm rubbish at it. It will be the sweetest gaming victory if I do manage to achieve it. 👍

Most PC gamers can't even start all the games they own, something like 30% of the games sold on Steam never get launched! I'm proud to say I only have about 19% of my 697 games (on Steam) left unplayed and I've completed 50, but that does include games I completed on other platforms.

I'm trying to complete Machinarium, Call of Juarez Gunslinger, VVVVVV and Deus Ex (again) at the moment, I don't think I'll ever do VVVVVV but the others should just be a matter of time - that is if I get them done before MGS V is out!

Hello, @chzsln485 . Sometimes, I know the feeling you're expressing here. I think you have to drive yourself to want to beat a game. You'll have the drive and motivation to complete a game. And then some other times, you don't. Frustration does become a factor when you continually fail to complete a game. That's why I gave up on most Midnight Club games, for example. I hate to admit this about myself, but not being able to complete certain things also goes to most of my blogging and most of my creative works. I guess this is more about trying to get yourself adjusted in a way to complete games. Realistically, the only way to not want to complete a game is if the game is somehow broken- like the arcade game Nastar Warrior. I could NEVER get past Stage 4 of that game because of poor level design for that game.

Again... things just work in spurts. You'll find your groove, lose it, get it back, and repeat. It's life. Same goes in gaming.

Most PC gamers can't even start all the games they own, something like 30% of the games sold on Steam never get launched! I'm proud to say I only have about 19% of my 697 games (on Steam) left unplayed and I've completed 50, but that does include games I completed on other platforms.

I'm trying to complete Machinarium, Call of Juarez Gunslinger, VVVVVV and Deus Ex (again) at the moment, I don't think I'll ever do VVVVVV but the others should just be a matter of time - that is if I get them done before MGS V is out!
Just checked and I've only played 14 out of my 94 games in Steam Library, less than 15%. Crazy thing is only eight of them I played into hours, the other six just briefly launched so only really played less than 9% of my Steam games. Just over 91% of Steam games left to play. :crazy:

Hello, @chzsln485 . Sometimes, I know the feeling you're expressing here. I think you have to drive yourself to want to beat a game. You'll have the drive and motivation to complete a game. And then some other times, you don't. Frustration does become a factor when you continually fail to complete a game. That's why I gave up on most Midnight Club games, for example. I hate to admit this about myself, but not being able to complete certain things also goes to most of my blogging and most of my creative works. I guess this is more about trying to get yourself adjusted in a way to complete games. Realistically, the only way to not want to complete a game is if the game is somehow broken- like the arcade game Nastar Warrior. I could NEVER get past Stage 4 of that game because of poor level design for that game.

Again... things just work in spurts. You'll find your groove, lose it, get it back, and repeat. It's life. Same goes in gaming.

This is true. Sometimes I'll be really into a game, and enjoying it immensely, then one day just think "meh, no thanks, can't be bothered". I'll leave it for weeks and weeks, and suddenly, get into it again. It depends how the game visualises progression. Some games, you can feel like you're slogging away, getting nowhere, other games structure themselves in such a way that you feel achievement. The early GT games did this well, as you finish the game with a massive garage of cars, and you can tick races off with gold trophies as you go.

I usually finish games but I have only twice completed a game. It's not really sensible to try and complete games in general I think. To get 100% is optional for the most dedicated. I do revisit games that I previously gotten stuck in and then I often get passed the difficult area with fresh thinking, fresh patience and determination.

I'm not even sure why, but delving into the enormous backlog of games I have reveals that I am unbelievably rubbish at completing games. I think it's because I get into the game, but come across a section I find difficult, get fed up of repeated attempts at it and the game gets filed into "never to be completed", it seems. Sometimes I think I just get bored of them and never ever return to them for whatever reason. I can probably count the games I've completed on one hand.

So, denizens of Console and PC Gaming, who out there also has a comically enormous backlog? Who else finds completing games as difficult as I do? What notable games/series have you never completed?
Sounds like my gaming "career" in a nutshell.

This generation (PS3) , I have completed several and the one I kept finishing over and over again was Bayonetta.

Vanquish comming in as a superb second in times of finishing and Mass Effect 2 as third. For the rest most games are completed between 40 and 70 % I think.

GT6 for example I finished probably around 30%. I used the cash-hack in the early days and my main sessions were for photomode. I used that game almost solely for taking pics and a bit of tuning.

Almost forgot: Not really a game but more of a learning tool: Rocksmith 2014. Most hours spend ever on a single "game". Songs that I couldn't finish were above my skills as a guitar player. A tool that helped me achieving to play an instrument. Best satisfaction I had on PS3 :bowdown:👍

Last edited:
I'll play a game until i stop getting any sort of enjoyment out of it.

Sometimes that means finishing the main storyline and all side missions and beyond, and sometimes it just means giving up on it after an hours worth of play. If i'm bored of something i won't waste my time on it.

Don't think i've ever played a game to get 100% completion (does that even exist these days?) The games i have 'finished' - the GTA's, RDR, Skyrim, i've continued playing well beyond that stage.

As far as completely completing a game goes... well, I'm a pseudo-completionist. I like the idea of collecting all the things, unlocking all the trophies/achievements, et cetera... but I just can't be bothered most of the time. So here I sit with 0 Platinums and no games telling me that I've done 100% of all there is to do or collect.

If we're talking about beating games... well due to time constraints, I don't beat as many as I'd like to these days. But I have beaten several games, and do beat a game every once in a while.

Probably the most notable game in my backlog would be Mass Effect 3, since I found the time to play through and beat the first two yet have hardly touched ME3.

I'm trying to complete Machinarium

Puzzle games can present quite the conundrum. To cheat or not to cheat? Not cheating can mean that the game remains in stasis forever, and is all but forgotten. While cheating gifts a hollow victory. Then sometimes I'll look up a cheat, only to think "How stupid is that solution?".

I think I got through Machinarium with no compromise. Maybe more than any other though, I'm glad that Braid was left un-cheated, yet completed.

In general, I don't buy if I'm not going to play, and I don't play if I'm not going to finish. Though "finish" does always equal 100% for me.

Back