Am I the only one who thinks the drifting in Shift2 is just plain wrong?

TwinTurboCH
I've been an avid drifter on games since before I drifted for a living and comparing GT5 to real life, I can replicate everything that is possible in real life in the game and vice versa, but in Shift I just feel like the car handles totally wrong.

I'm on a G25 in a VisionRacer rig and I've tried multiple recommended steering setups and I've got everything working nicely in races, but the drifting just feels totally and utterly wrong. The car handles close to correctly as the slide begins, but then it all goes pear-shaped, and don't even get me started on the way the wheels feels during a slide, ESPECIALLY on throttle.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this game just flat out bad at replicating drift?

No, Drifting seems to only work with controller, which is plain wrong. Second is has different physics for other events, which would make it wrong again. But maybe it's just me cause i expected too much from the most realistic racer ever.

Nope, it's pretty wrong. I'm hoping that if they get rid of the input lag it may become more manageable, but I don't have particularly high hopes. There's something funny going on in the drifting.

I just busted out the controller, put it on easy and smoked my way through that section. It was even kind of fun in a way, but it was in no way what I would expect drifting a real car to be like.

Damn, I was wondering if you would possibly be able to comment on Shift 2 drifting given that you are essentially the most reputable presence in the GT5 drifting forum/drifting irl, haha, but I guess this settles it, how disappointing...

Damn, I was wondering if you would possibly be able to comment on Shift 2 drifting given that you are essentially the most reputable presence in the GT5 drifting forum/drifting irl, haha, but I guess this settles it, how disappointing...

Tell me about it. The racing itself is pretty sick, but the drifting is basically total fail. It's worth having if you like racing though.

I have to say, I wasn't expecting much bearing in mind it's a Need for Speed title, but what DOES annoy me is the fact that guys like D-Mac (who I've drifted against a fair few times) and Vaughn Gitten etc are bigging it up purely for the pay cheque..... sellouts. 👎

I couldn't even get past the tutorial using a wheel, had to revert back to my dualshock :/

I usually suck at drifting in most racing games. I sucked even worse at drifting when I tried it the other day for the first time on S2U. Couldn't say if it's right or not, but I do know that I completely suck at it. I'll stick to the racing.

I couldn't even get past the tutorial using a wheel, had to revert back to my dualshock :/

I m with you on this. What a horrible source of frustration. But I refuse to unplug my DFGT for that 🤬

Tell me about it. The racing itself is pretty sick, but the drifting is basically total fail. It's worth having if you like racing though.

I have to say, I wasn't expecting much bearing in mind it's a Need for Speed title, but what DOES annoy me is the fact that guys like D-Mac (who I've drifted against a fair few times) and Vaughn Gitten etc are bigging it up purely for the pay cheque..... sellouts. 👎

I agree mate i though this game could bring the perfect drifting mode to the table but its just rubbish. It feels like an after thought where the people consulting the drift mode (D-Mac etc) have just ignored the feel and just said its ok, not having any passion for drifting in this game just the cash involved :(

That's the section that I skipped and am not really planning on doing it. It was pretty much impossible with the wheel. Switched to controller, same s**t. Just a tad easier. Took me a while to get through the tutorials and that's where I stopped. Not gonna do them unless they are needed for the platinum, which I think they aren't.

You can go into the options and set a "steering lock (drift)" which allows you to turn lock-to-lock with a wheel in as little as 40 degrees, or as much as 900. I put it around 160, that way you can turn quickly and sharply enough to keep it from spinning out so often.

After that just adjust the rear tire pressure to taste - lower for less drift, higher for more.

I still suck at drifting, but making those changes has at least allowed me to get to the point where practicing is showing some small dividends.

You can go into the options and set a "steering lock (drift)" which allows you to turn lock-to-lock with a wheel in as little as 40 degrees, or as much as 900. I put it around 160, that way you can turn quickly and sharply enough to keep it from spinning out so often.

After that just adjust the rear tire pressure to taste - lower for less drift, higher for more.

I still suck at drifting, but making those changes has at least allowed me to get to the point where practicing is showing some small dividends.
The point isn't that it can't be done, it's that it's totally unrealistic, and therefore ****.

I really can't put into words my disappointment at the drifting in this game.

The reason why drifting is broken in S2U because the game itself do all the job for you. All you have to do is accelerate and turn the wheel .. but sometimes only .. not like in real life.

If you want to find this out, use a gamepad and switch to cockpit view and you'll see hows the wheel turning itself ... but I figured out how to deal with it and now .. at least I can win drifting events even though in games like GT5/FM3/etc I can't drift properly. I either spin out or leave the track.

I find it just massively wrong as well.

The FFB feels wrong (sorry, my car WANTS to countersteer when sideways, and it's FWD!), throttle input vs reaction feels wrong, E-brake action is wrong IMO, etc etc. Nothing it does seems right.

Then again, I have no real life drifting experience with a RWD vehicle aside from sliding a quad around ftlulz occasionally and doing e-brake slides in the snow with my car. So I know nothing, right? :rolleyes:

The point isn't that it can't be done, it's that it's totally unrealistic, and therefore ****.

I really can't put into words my disappointment at the drifting in this game.

That's what I love about trying to be helpful - instead of someone saying "thanks for the suggestion" you just get told to p*** off.

There are people on my Autolog wall that are beating the 1st place drifting times by a good margin, and a guy posted a video on another board I visit of himself drifting superbly.

So yeah, obviously its impossible. Whatever.

no you're not the only one!!! I am sticking to GT5 and Live for Speed for my drifting fix, NFS2U is garbage for drifting. I am also using a G25 and could barely pass the first circle drift event in the game. The inputs, feedback and overall handling/grip is not natural by any means.

That's what I love about trying to be helpful - instead of someone saying "thanks for the suggestion" you just get told to p*** off.

There are people on my Autolog wall that are beating the 1st place drifting times by a good margin, and a guy posted a video on another board I visit of himself drifting superbly.

So yeah, obviously its impossible. Whatever.
Whoa there! I never told you to p*** off, I just said that as correct as you are, it's not the relevant point. What's with the attitude?

The fact is, I'm a professional drifter in real life, I've driven more drift cars than I have normal road cars, and I'm telling you, the drifting in this game is artifical and the physics are wrong and therfore it is pointless. The whole point of their marketing was that Shift2 was now almost a sim, and the fact is that it BLATANTLY isn't.

So where in there am I telling you to p*** off? Exactly, I'm not, I'm venting my frustrations in the direction of Shift2, nothing more.

There may well be people who can drift in S2U but that is because they have taken the time to understand the broken mechanics. As TwinTurboCH has pointed out, it is not possible to drift in this game using practical knowledge.

I too have tried to figure it out and I am terrible at it. My driver constantly corrects my drift attempts and I just end up spinning or going into the wall. So far I've spent maybe two hours trying to get it right and I am 1/10 on the drifting events.

Just two hours? :)

I have spent a few days (like 4-5), a few hours every day to try to get better at drifting in this game. I'm getting better at it. But it is not easy. I'm not good with the drifting in GT5 either, but some of you guys here are...

But the thing is, you can get better at it. just go to the nevada drift depot and run around randomly. I upgraded my first car, the infinity, and it is quite easy to toss around. I like the Shelby too.

I hope someday someone ,makes a really good drifting game. Great physics, great user interface, autolog etc. This game would be absolutely amazing if they fixed the drifting part. The racing is good already....

I hope someday someone ,makes a really good drifting game. Great physics, great user interface, autolog etc. This game would be absolutely amazing if they fixed the drifting part. The racing is good already....

There are a few good one's like GT5, and from what I've heard Live for Speed (haven't played that one yet). For me Shift 2 is really bad as a drifting game, and that kinda sucks because i actually like racing on this game

How much time should it take to just be able to beat the first "stages" of the drifting events? Two hours a lot if you consider how short the events are in terms of time that they take to complete.

Am I the only one who thinks the drifting in Shift2 is just plain wrong?
Imo, drifting in any game is just plain wrong anyway :lol:

No doubt it requires a skill set of some kind both in gaming and irl, but it simply doesn't float my boat. At all :yuck:

How much time should it take to just be able to beat the first "stages" of the drifting events? Two hours a lot if you consider how short the events are in terms of time that they take to complete.

Well, Yesterday evening I spent 3 Hours in the first drift event of 10 Trying to beat it and win that event. The Miami course.

The first 20-30 times I was always last, avering about 200 points. Then My points slowly picked up to 3'd place and scoring around 275. Once in a while I got a random good run and netted just above 300. (318 is the limit for 2'nd place)

While trying out a few different cars I found that a) High powered monsters are really hard to drift with. b) Lowering the tire pressure on the rear makes the car more controllable.

So I had my absolute best run with my S13 silvia, D160 performance points. It turned slow, did not spin out easily. etc. It netted me 374 points wich makes me rather close to the 450 1'st position.

All in all, I have put about a week or more of practice to get here. And You may say I am a slow learner :) It's fun anyway. I drift 75% and race 25%

Realism aside, how do you do it with a pad in Shift 2? I've heard people say it's easier with a pad than with a wheel, but I can't even get past the tutorial events.

I know how to do it with wheel and pedals... but with the pad I just create lots of smoke and wheel spin, but there's no way I can create any sort of controlled motion. I'd love to try the events, but I simply can't figure out how I'm supposed to do it. Do I have to enable/disable specific assists to get it to work?

After complaining in my previous comments and saying that I won't be doing the drifting events I realized that I do have to beat them as I need it for the "beat all rivals" trophy. So, a couple of days ago I spent around 6-7 hours on those stupid drift events and managed to finish them. It does take practice, you do have to feather the throttle in some occasions, mash it fully in other, but it is doable. Another question how fun it is. And my answer is going to be the same as Bigbazz's - it's the worst drifting from all the games out there. Ever.

I was shaking in anticipation to finally finish them and beat the rival. It took me about a hundred tries to do the last bit where you battle against the very guy as they give you scores, which are pretty much unachievable. I managed to share the podium with him with 44 points and I didn't need anything else. As long as I've got the tick next to the rival as beaten.

Seriously, why even put this crap in this game? If you make a racing game, then next time please don't put a control-a-drunken-cow-on-the-ice competition into it. I'll go on Farmville for that.

Back