Am I the only one who thinks the drifting in Shift2 is just plain wrong?

brambos
Realism aside, how do you do it with a pad in Shift 2? I've heard people say it's easier with a pad than with a wheel, but I can't even get past the tutorial events.

I know how to do it with wheel and pedals... but with the pad I just create lots of smoke and wheel spin, but there's no way I can create any sort of controlled motion. I'd love to try the events, but I simply can't figure out how I'm supposed to do it. Do I have to enable/disable specific assists to get it to work?

I reckon the best way to start off is to just drive fast and then hold it with the throttle. Don't try to initiate a drift, it will do that for you. Practice on London millennium or Miami and you'll get the hang of it.

Forget how to drift properly and learn to drift the shift way! I can't use my wheel and have gone back to my DS3 for this part of the game and now quite enjoy it. It's fun, not realistic.

No doubt it's a poor representation of drifting. You can, as i've found over the past 2 days, get the feel of it via the DS3 but it's still a bit hit and miss.

With some practice I'm progressing quite quickly through the drift events (Experienced level). But, given the issues with dicey weight transfer and (this could just be me) no real sense of how wide your car is no matter what view you're using the tighter and slower or more intricate circuits become so frustrating. London Millennium, barrel of laughs. Ebisu Touge Trial, are you kidding me?! With these physics? Not to mention that I've found on many occasions that my drift scores aren't even registering no matter how clean, fast and smokey they are. Perhaps the judges are busy chatting to the grid girls.

That's what I love about trying to be helpful - instead of someone saying "thanks for the suggestion" you just get told to p*** off.

There are people on my Autolog wall that are beating the 1st place drifting times by a good margin, and a guy posted a video on another board I visit of himself drifting superbly.

So yeah, obviously its impossible. Whatever.

He's not saying its impossible... he's just saying that its so wrong that he doesn't feel like its worth the hassle of figuring out. :P

I don't know guys why you have such big problems, drifting events for me weren't so hard, most of them finished at 1st place with medium difficulty.
I'll try to upload some video at weekend.
[I'm playing on X360 with default controller, don't have a wheel so I don't know if it's harder.]

I don't know guys why you have such big problems, drifting events for me weren't so hard, most of them finished at 1st place with medium difficulty.
I'll try to upload some video at weekend.
[I'm playing on X360 with default controller, don't have a wheel so I don't know if it's harder.]

PLEASE read the thread properly. The point is not 'you can't drift on shift2', it is 'drifting on Shift2 is NOTHING like real life'. I'm sure you can drift on Shift2, but it's so far removed from what happens in reality that I don't WANT to bother.

Thanks

I'd just like to add that I finished them all on hard with a stock e46 M3. Once I learnt to forget real physics and just play the game as a game, I enjoyed it and finished them fairly easily. Just look at it as a bit of extra variety to the game, a break from the racing as it were. I assume you can drift with the normal physics in time attack mode if you want realism? I know it's not how it should be, but given how good the rest of the game is it'll do for me.

They only ones I struggled with were the narrow tracks with gravel/grass, but even these weren't too bad. I used the DS3 by the way.

Last edited:
I m really frustrated with the drifting. I used the DS3 to go through all of the events with the Terlingua Mustang and the Drift Alliance 240ZX but... Even after all this time I have no instinct for the controls, they still dont feel right at all. Heck, I still dont even understand them. I just throw in 4th gear and stay in that gear, no matter what cause if I use a lower gear, the car will just spin as soon as I tap the gas, no matter the speed, no matter if I steer > spin.

Anyway, wouldnt be too bad, if I wasnt stuck at the very last event. I tried over an hour yesterday to become 3rd at the Final Slide Miami Event. Thats all I f:censored:in need to beat Gittin, get the 🤬 trophy and never ever once in my life play this horrible, horrible abdomination of a drifting game.

But no can do... any suggestions or hints before I smash my DS3 through my TV, maybe? :indiff:

I m really frustrated with the drifting. I used the DS3 to go through all of the events with the Terlingua Mustang and the Drift Alliance 240ZX but... Even after all this time I have no instinct for the controls, they still dont feel right at all. Heck, I still dont even understand them. I just throw in 4th gear and stay in that gear, no matter what cause if I use a lower gear, the car will just spin as soon as I tap the gas, no matter the speed, no matter if I steer > spin.

Anyway, wouldnt be too bad, if I wasnt stuck at the very last event. I tried over an hour yesterday to become 3rd at the Final Slide Miami Event. Thats all I f:censored:in need to beat Gittin, get the 🤬 trophy and never ever once in my life play this horrible, horrible abdomination of a drifting game.

But no can do... any suggestions or hints before I smash my DS3 through my TV, maybe? :indiff:

Thats great. I feel the same way. First in every drifting event( after 500 attempts of course), but I just cant seem to come closer than 10 points to getting into 3rd place at Miami. Your not alone!
I came close to smashing my controller a few times, then I thought, "its friday, why not have a drink, then try it again". So I'm think I'm going to resort to changing the settings to "drunk" handling mode, and give it a whirl.

Anyway goodluck

Drifting has been flawed back in the GTR series, using the gmotor engine in a former built and I remember modders, making specific mods to the game, tweaking files and car setups, to make drift mods possible.

I am not drifting and just ignore the drift events in S2U - I am very happy, which what I found for circuit racing handling wise, to be there, I remember well from GTR2 back on the PC.

It might well be, that drifting will never feel properly in S2U.

I'm very thankful for this topic btw. I wondered why I couldn't drift at all using my wheel. I thought it was my fault. How does the game ship with such a glaring issue did they not test this event with a wheel? Do they consider wheel users their 'niche' audience? one thing I liked bout gt5 is I always get the feeling they play the game with a wheel at all times.

Drifting is very wrong in this game. I will be skipping the drift events anyway as there is only a few compared to all the racing. At least the racing is good.

Hi all, food for though! dirt 3 has a very large element of drifting, and seeing the games are based on the same engine, do you think it will impact the game in the same way?

What I mean is ruin Dirt3 ?

Hi all, food for though! dirt 3 has a very large element of drifting, and seeing the games are based on the same engine, do you think it will impact the game in the same way?

What I mean is ruin Dirt3 ?

What games are based on the same engine???? Dirt 3 is powered by the EGO engine and Shift by The MADNESS Engine... they dont have anything to do with each other...

Well back on topic... I tried to drift a bit in a time attack and suprisingly I did a better job than when I choose drift... it does seem that they still have diferent physics for drifting wich IMO is stupid and makes the game feel fake...

The only thing I heard about physics in drift was that lower powered cars (<500hp) get a power boost.

The tires do blow up a lot easier though :D

i just figured out that it auto counter steers for you.... all i need to do is flick to start the drift, feather the gas, then flick to switch directions. its way to easy. it controls the drift for you

The only thing I heard about physics in drift was that lower powered cars (<500hp) get a power boost.

The tires do blow up a lot easier though :D

Than do what I did - choose a track and choose a car - then choose time attack and try to drift a bit - then choose drift and try to drif a bit - its like it has oil on the track in drift mode - same car - same track - diferent modes - completly diferent physics from how I see it....

Aren't the cars supposed to slide that much? They're even tuned to do that.

I really don't care enough to test because I never drifted for real and so I'm not qualified to speak about it.

Anyway the power boost I know for sure it happens.

I use the Silvia that you can win thats set up for drift and then set the lock down to 12 since I use DS3. Not sure if the game being on easy makes so you need less points but thats what I did since I didn't want to be doing them anyways. I got first easily. If I started out bad, I might restart...but I did put together some long drifts on the drift tracks, was kind of fun on those.

Any good drift setups?

I can drift a loop in and out of the end building on the Vegas depot with ease now, but when I want to do more advanced manoeuvres it all falls apart.

(wheel user)

all i know is that it is very hard to drift in this game. however i have whipped subaru round a private place and it feels alot different to any game

Well how about that - I can finally drift with my wheel.

When using the car/set-up in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28004894&postcount=760 I can throw the car around any course and smash my pad scores with ease. There's no more spinning out when you touch the throttle, the car grips and holding a continuous drift is easy peasy - even the low speed manoeuvres. I can thread the car through the barrels and metal pillars at the Vegas Depot no problem. 👍

Well how about that - I can finally drift with my wheel.

When using the car/set-up in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28004894&postcount=760 I can throw the car around any course and smash my pad scores with ease. There's no more spinning out when you touch the throttle, the car grips and holding a continuous drift is easy peasy - even the low speed manoeuvres. I can thread the car through the barrels and metal pillars at the Vegas Depot no problem. 👍

Wow, I am definately going to try this one.
Luckily you don't have to have any drifting skills to get through the tutorial and win the car :D

edit: Ok, I tried it.. still can't get a normal drift. On the other hand, I never could. Drifting in this game is the least fun I had with a game since... hmmm, I can't remember. I'm never going to complete this. It's soo much worse than completing rally in GT4.
Rest of the game (like GT4 :) ) is tons of fun though.

Edit 2: There is one thing I've been wondering ever since I first tried to drift in this game. How is it possible that you get a lot more wheelspin if you want to accelerate (from 0) in a higher gear than in first gear!?

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I had the handling set to novice/no aids. It's the only way I can drift properly in the game.

Elite drifting is broken and is not possible to control the car at low speeds.

Wheel - 240
Drift Sens - 100
Throttle Sens - 30 - deadzone - 6

Back