Am I turning the steering wheel not enough?

• Thread starter zjn
  • 14 comments

zjn

Italy
Italy
Hi,
middle C driver here, driving a G29 Wheel since august.
I'm doing all the TT challenges and I usually watch for the youtube tutorials posted by the good ones.

One thing I notice is that the sound coming from their tires is much more then mine. They are for sure using close to 100% steering adherence.
Now.... their steering wheel angle also usually looks bigger then mine (I'm referring here to the red dot shown in the HUD). For me reaching that steering wheel angle looks to be innatural, my arms get close to cross each other and the physical steering wheel angle is >>90°

Is this normal to you?
How do you train to be able to feel how and how much you can turn the steering wheel without upsetting the car / understeer / oversteer?

Thanks

Well you will certainly know if you're not turning the wheel enough if the car won't turn.

Plus, the in-game wheel does obviously not reflect your actual input.

Last edited:
zjn
Hi,
I'm doing all the TT challenges and I usually watch for the youtube tutorials posted by the good ones.

One thing I notice is that the sound coming from their tires is much more then mine. They are for sure using close to 100% steering adherence.
Now.... their steering wheel angle also usually looks bigger then mine (I'm referring here to the red dot shown in the HUD). For me reaching that steering wheel angle looks to be innatural, my arms get close to cross each other and the physical steering wheel angle is >>90°

Is this normal to you?
How do you train to be able to feel how and how much you can turn the steering wheel without upsetting the car / understeer / oversteer?

Thanks
The sound could be a result of other factors too; entry speed, slip angle. If you're a DR C driver looking to improve, I'd recommend first focussing on lines and technique, then later try to more accurately copy what you see on the top drivers' replays.

To help, have a look at the videos here, especially the phases of a corner one and then the ones about maximising various phases of the corner, where steering technique is addressed.

Good luck.

Did i read you can set steering rotation on pc for Logitech and it saves to memory so maybe they don't have the full 900deg set ?

I can remember when learning Nurburgring, trying to gold CE, this was one big lesson. You can steer quite a bit more than you initially think. It takes some practise and you’ll probably make lots of mistakes but it will make you a much quicker in the end.

Try running time trials of your favourite course and test the limits of how much you can turn in. Also experiment with difference lines, it is surprising the difference this makes.

Good luck with GT journey

zjn
Hi,

Is this normal to you?

Thanks
The G29 has a larger steering angle than the in game indicator suggests. Full lock is 180 degrees turn, and yes will involve crossing arms.

The best way to see this in game is to use an open wheel car where you can see the front wheels from cockpit or roof cam. The Super Formula is perfect for this. Stop the car and turn the steering wheel until the front wheels stop turning. That's your maximum steering angle, and you'll see is beyond what the actual steering indicator shows.

You should note that you only need this maximum amount of steering for very sharp corners such as hairpins.

Last edited:
The best way to see this in game is to use an open wheel car where you can see the front wheels from cockpit or roof cam. The Super Formula is perfect for this. Stop the car and turn the steering wheel until the front wheels stop turning. That's your maximum steering angle
Initially I though MP4/4 had an issue where it won't let you steer more in certain turns. The in-game wheel turned merely 90 degrees to the side, but later I paid attention to the tires and they still kept turning.

Thanks to everyone for the replys

Thanks watto79 and ClassicKent, now that I understand that G29 is like that I'll force myself to use more angle

half_sourly: I know and like Driver61. I already noticed that rewatch his videos after gaining some on the field experience always lead to understand them a bit more. I will give them another run

FOG-Smokebeer: I read somewhere (but cannot find it anymore), that setups changed using PC get overwritten by the game. I recall it was related to GT Sport & PS4, but probably applies for GT7 & PS4 too. Other games may not override them, or may have their ingame configuration for that

If someone mentioned this, sorry for the repeat. You can raise the tire sound effects on your game, which I recommend.

zjn
Hi,

Is this normal to you?

Thanks
If you've come from other sims or real world racing you'll be correct in thinking excessive steering input is unnatural. It's because it is. GT7 (and GTS) have a kind of permanent steering assistance assist on. E.g. you need to use full lock to go round a tight hairpin but you'll also need to use full lock to go round a gentle curve (depending on the car). GT has a pseudo speed sensitive steering as part of it's physics.

In real life, or a proper sim, if you used full lock to get round a hairpin, full lock on a curve would either have you spinning off or cause catastrophic understeer. Likewise if you needed to use full lock to get round a curve, you wouldn't be able to provide enough steering input to get round a tight hairpin. Steering angle adjustments are a standard feature of sims and real life, which you can spend on fair amount of time on.

I.e, it's probably not you, it's the game. You can do nothing about it in settings or car setup. It's fundamental to the physics and you just have to get used to it.

NB: this is also a good thing as it's what helps keep racing between various skill levels more consistent and close as it half puts people on an virtual tramline.

Also as another feature of GT's physics, there is little benefit to feeding the steering in and feeding it out. (Increasing the lock as you go into a corner and decreasing it as you exit) In GT you just kind of whack the steering over lock to lock. For someone who has come from more realistic sims and real world racing, this is a difficult thing force myself to do.

Edit; if you want a good example of this have a look at Gallo's wr lap in the mp4/4 at suzuka. He whacks this over lock to lock. Have a look at real world footage of Senna. It's nothing like this. it looks pathetic tbh.

Last edited:
I've never had a wheel working well with GT7, so have gone back to a controller, but in GTS my wheel was working well, and I always felt that peak grip was just before the vibration ffb happens. So basically turn it until you feel that, then try to turn it slightly less than that.

If you've come from other sims or real world racing you'll be correct in thinking excessive steering input is unnatural.
This is actually where I'm coming from...
I'm neither of them, but looking at onboards of real race or the few youtube sims where also the physical wheel/pedal is shown I see less movement than mine.

For sim videos on GT7, comparing their physical wheel turning with the red dot in the hud lead me to confusion.

I've never had a wheel working well with GT7, so have gone back to a controller, but in GTS my wheel was working well, and I always felt that peak grip was just before the vibration ffb happens. So basically turn it until you feel that, then try to turn it slightly less than that.
Yes, agree, I fill sometimes the "vibration ffb" you mention, but I still too much inconsistent, and therefore that effect is the result of too much entry speed, not too smooth input, wrong racing line, too much steer in any given combination....

Probably decreising the variables, i.e. drive a trusty car on a well knows circuit, will help to figure out the topic I'm assessing.

Thanks

Back