Ameer's ~$400 Gaming PC Build [Modified]

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 63 comments

Ameer67

Premium
United States
Chicago
Hello there. I've been wanting to build a PC for quite a while now. The main purpose of this build is obviously to play games. Games like Project CARS and some other racing games. My goal is be able to play them on high or at least close to high (like in between medium and high). The resolution I'm wanting is at least 720p. Current monitor that I have doesn't support 1080p unfortunately.

Some components that I have already are the hard drive, optical drive, OS, mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

My budget: around $400. (The max I'm willing to go is probably $420 or 30.) All parts must be bought from Amazon.

Computer build here.
Here's a build that I made on pcpartpicker:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/31RvB
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/31RvB/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/31RvB/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card ($127.88 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $415.58 $433.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-28 21:29 EST-0500)
Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
That seems like a good list. It has enough horsepower to drill through games at medium to high settings. Watch out for the R7 260X though, since AMD cards are known to run quite hot, but that's normal for any GPU to do that. The PSU could use a 500 W supply, just to have some headroom if you want to upgrade some parts.

The PSU could use a 500 W supply, just to have some headroom if you want to upgrade some parts.
If you add a second 260X, another stick of RAM and a 3TB drive, if pcpartspicker is to be believed, it'll run at 418W. Technically, his 430W PSU he has chosen should work, but not many would risk that. Getting a 500W and letting it cruise along at 80% capacity is much better than a 430W at 97%. And that's before you get into inrush current.

Short version - if you're even REMOTELY considering upgrading in a few years, do yourself a favor and spend the extra few bucks now for a larger PSU.

TB
Short version - if you're even REMOTELY considering upgrading in a few years, do yourself a favor and spend the extra few bucks now for a larger PSU.

Yeah, I can probably go with a 500W PSU.

TB

So I checked Amazon for the 500W Corsair. Cost is $57.74. But there is a 600W one for just a few cents more at $57.99. I don't know if the 600W will be overkill or just get the 500W.

[Link for the PSU on Amazon]

(Sorry for the double post.)

Without a second of hesitation, I'd get the 600 because 1) there's no such thing as overkill and 2) its that much more headroom for an upgrade.

Yes, 600 W will be overkill if you stick with that motherboard. If you think a 25 cent difference justifies a 100 W difference, you can buy the 500 W version.

And in the future if he upgrades to a different MB, CPU and GPU (or two), his PSU would still be fine. Cutting it too close now could mean having to upgrade the PSU, too, costing even more in the long run.

Think I'm gonna go with the...500. I don't see why I would need a 600W PSU anytime soon like you guys said.

EDIT: Read post below.

Last edited:
I'd recommend you to take the 600W... And believe me... in two or three years you will need to upgrade to stay with the game standards...

I keep changing my mind. :lol:. I'll just pick 600. Just a few cents more.
---
Do you guys think everything is good? I'll be purchasing the build either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone. 👍

Think I'm gonna go with the...500. I don't see why I would need a 600W PSU anytime soon like you guys said.

When I fisrt built my gaming last year I opted for a 620W PSU even though I was only using an Athlon64 x2 and an HD6450. Came in handy when I upgraded to my FX-8350 and still has enough headroom to replace my 6450.

tl;dr Spend the extra few cents to get the 600W PSU, you won't miss the few cents and will like the extra headroom it gives.

What I like about your build is that you take a FM2 Processor and put it on a FM2+ Motherboard... That makes easy to upgrade to Kaveri... And the R7-260X can crossfire up with the R7 core of the Kaveri when AMD allows this later 👍

OK so here's the final build before I purchase it. (Prices have changed a bit.)

AMD Athlon Multi Core Processor AD760KWOHLBOX, 760K Richland 3.8... $90.00
Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS (CX600) $57.99
Rosewill Black SECC Steel USB 3.0 Mid Tower Computer Case REDBON...$49.99
Gigabyte R7 260X GDDR5-1GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC Graphics Card (GV-R7...$119.99
GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XM-HD3 FM2+ AMD A88X (Bolton D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/...$72.99
Kingston Value RAM 4GB 1600MHz PC3-12800 DDR3 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM $39.74

Total: $430.70

You guys think it's all good?
---
I appreciate all the help. 👍

Another nice case is the Cooler Master N300... it is very cheap and good quality... Ah and your Power Supply is very good and a bang for the buck.

The CPU is a bit old, but see my post above ;)
The GPU fits also perfect in there:)

The only thing I would change is to get more RAM...

Another nice case is the Cooler Master N300... it is very cheap and good quality... Ah and your Power Supply is very good and a bang for the buck.
That is a nice case. But Amazon doesn't have it. Good suggestion though. 👍
The CPU is a bit old, but see my post above ;)
The GPU fits also perfect in there:)
Yep.

The only thing I would change is to get more RAM...

I'll probably just buy another 4GB stick later on.

Looks like a good PC. What kind of games are you planning on playing? (I would've went with a 2GB card) ;)

Mostly racing games. Assetto Corsa, Project CARS, Need For Speed (maybe) and probably some other genres here and there.

I think Amazon had a 2GB 260X for like $140 or 50. But whatever.

Aren't you building a PC too or was that another guy?

Mostly racing games. Assetto Corsa, Project CARS, Need For Speed (maybe) and probably some other genres here and there.

I think Amazon had a 2GB 260X for like $140 or 50. But whatever.

Aren't you building a PC too or was that another guy?

I guess the 2GB is good for those games. Usually games with a-lot of rendering and good textures require more V-ram. It really just depends. I think you'll be fine if you lower some settings.

I have a build planned but I had to take some of my money and spend it on more important things like a $140 book. I think I'll be getting it done later on but the funny thing is that there will be better things out in the next few months so the parts I'll be getting will be cheaper. I had a $400-450 budget also.

I guess the 2GB is good for those games. Usually games with a-lot of rendering and good textures require more V-ram. It really just depends. I think you'll be fine if you lower some settings.
Yeah, I won't be trying to run everything maxed. Maybe lower the AA, reduce shadows, whatever.
I have a build planned but I had to take some of my money and spend it on more important things like a $140 book. I think I'll be getting it done later on but the funny thing is that there will be better things out in the next few months so the parts I'll be getting will be cheaper. I had a $400-450 budget also.

That's the thing about PC parts. Older ones get cheaper when the crown gets stolen by the next component in line. (Rinse and repeat. :P)

Back