America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,086 comments
I’m sure everyone knows this, but in parts of Alaska it is illegal to import, or possess Alcohol

Same thing here in Utah too, although you can possess it in most places. However, importing it is illegal. So if I were to say, drive to Wyoming and buy a case of beer and drive back home, I'd be breaking the law. They claim it's a tax thing, but given the make up of the state I'm guessing it has more to do with punishing those evil sinners who enjoy alcohol. Same goes for tobacco too and things they deem tobacco products like e-liquid.

The state police even have checkpoints setup on the freeways checking people with Utah plates coming back from Wyoming and Nevada. Typically if it's what they deem an amount for personal consumption, they just pour it out. However if you bring back a keg, you're going to jail. I could probably understand if I was taking a semi truck to another state and driving it back here with the intent to sell. I mean it's still a little bogus because taxes, but still, that would amount to smuggling. But if I want to enjoy some non-3.2% beer I should be able to buy it elsewhere...especially if it isn't even sold here.

Never mind that these checkpoints are probably unconstitutional since it's illegal search and seizure. It's just another way our theocracy here attempts to run people's lives.

I guess you can take solace knowing you aren't alone!

I’m sure everyone knows this, but in parts of Alaska it is illegal to import, or possess Alcohol

https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/web/amco/AlcoholLocalOption.aspx

Local area option map

I brought this up after I saw this warrant for arrest
XhV80x0.jpg

I understand why they do it in Utah but why in Alaska?

Same thing here in Utah too, although you can possess it in most places. However, importing it is illegal. So if I were to say, drive to Wyoming and buy a case of beer and drive back home, I'd be breaking the law. They claim it's a tax thing, but given the make up of the state I'm guessing it has more to do with punishing those evil sinners who enjoy alcohol. Same goes for tobacco too and things they deem tobacco products like e-liquid.

The state police even have checkpoints setup on the freeways checking people with Utah plates coming back from Wyoming and Nevada. Typically if it's what they deem an amount for personal consumption, they just pour it out. However if you bring back a keg, you're going to jail. I could probably understand if I was taking a semi truck to another state and driving it back here with the intent to sell. I mean it's still a little bogus because taxes, but still, that would amount to smuggling. But if I want to enjoy some non-3.2% beer I should be able to buy it elsewhere...especially if it isn't even sold here.

Never mind that these checkpoints are probably unconstitutional since it's illegal search and seizure. It's just another way our theocracy here attempts to run people's lives.

On the tax thing, while very strange as that's kind of just free market at play it is very real. In belgium they raised taxes on tobacco quite a bit, offcoarse they expected a net increase in tax revenue from this,... It didn't happen :P any belgian can cross a border and get it way cheaper for less then an hour drive (single). And well that's what the belgians did so the net income actually dropped a bit :P

On the stop and search I'm so jealous that's unconstitutional. In belgium you can be stopped and frisked, the most worrying part of it is that people here find this to be normal. If a police orders or asks anything in any way you should comply. And.while that's not true in a legal sense it's very much how it works here. On the other hand police shootings are rare over here :P

On the tax thing, while very strange as that's kind of just free market at play it is very real.
Yeah...most anywhere other than Utah I'd take the tax revenue justification at face value, but it's hard to see past the Moron agenda up there.

I believe it is essentially out of respect for the native Americans. They do not do terribly well with alcohol.

Are you suggesting there's an physiological link between race and alcoholism? What makes you think it doesn't come down to socioeconomic factors that have been shown to correlate with higher rates of alcohol abuse across all ethnicities?

As for Alaska, I believe I read at one point that a lot of places that ban alcohol, particularly the farther north you go, do so because there are already enough environmental influences on folks' well-being up there - months of endless darkness, a profound sense of isolation - and adding alcohol to the mix doesn't really make for good results.

Are you suggesting there's an physiological link between race and alcoholism? What makes you think it doesn't come down to socioeconomic factors that have been shown to correlate with higher rates of alcohol abuse across all ethnicities?

As for Alaska, I believe I read at one point that a lot of places that ban alcohol, particularly the farther north you go, do so because there are already enough environmental influences on folks' well-being up there - months of endless darkness, a profound sense of isolation - and adding alcohol to the mix doesn't really make for good results.
Maybe that's why though.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/hea...is-key-to-solving-nationwide-e-coli-outbreak/

State officials investigating an E. coli outbreak at the Nome prison say they have identified the southwest Arizona farm that provided romaine lettuce believed to carry the bacteria.

That discovery, they say, offers a unique clue for federal agencies trying to pinpoint the source of a nationwide outbreak that has sickened dozens of people, many severely.

https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2018/o157h7-04-18/advice-consumers.html

... citing information about the whole heads of romaine lettuce in Alaska, the CDC warned Americans to avoid eating any romaine from the Yuma region. An earlier warning told people to avoid eating chopped romaine.

Is the whole state dry? so that kinda poops all over the tax idea. Cant collect taxes on a product thats not allowed to be sold.

^I'm assuming the above video was edited for gaps somewhat but you can't fake those uncomfortable reactions from the Fox presenters.

^I'm assuming the above video was edited for gaps somewhat but you can't fake those uncomfortable reactions from the Fox presenters.
30 minutes of interview edited down to less than 2 minutes by an anti-Trump comedy show. I think we can assume it bears little resemblence to the actual interview.

There's unedited versions floating around on the web, a couple were posted to Reddit too. From what I saw, it happened pretty much like that and they really did cut him off for shouting about god knows what.

If any other president did that, almost everyone would jump on them for being completely unprofessional.

There's unedited versions floating around on the web, a couple were posted to Reddit too. From what I saw, it happened pretty much like that and they really did cut him off for shouting about god knows what.

If any other president did that, almost everyone would jump on them for being completely unprofessional.
I think it's fairly well established that he's not any other president.

I think I'd actually rather watch Fast & Furious, and that's saying something.
I'd rather watch the notebook..... alone.... that said, opinions on the subject matter at hand only really count if you've watched the video. Which sadly, i have. At least that saves me from watching the notebook. Regardless. The short version i think is an appropriate synopsys of the full video. Trumps mouth is a bit like a steam train. It takes a couple minutes to get going, but once its going full steam its impossible to stop.

Watch the full thing, it bears a strong resemblance.
Can't be bothered. If there's one thing I've learned in the Trump era it's that if something that's characterized as an "outrage" or "unhinged" or "crazy" by his opponents drops out of the news cycle in a day or two, there's nothing there I haven't seen already. If something sticks around for a while it might be worth investigating.

Can't be bothered. If there's one thing I've learned in the Trump era it's that if something that's characterized as an "outrage" or "unhinged" or "crazy" by his opponents drops out of the news cycle in a day or two, there's nothing there I haven't seen already. If something sticks around for a while it might be worth investigating.

It's true, he does do outrageous, unhinged and crazy things so often it becomes tiresome to try and keep up with them. I think the world and particularly the US is quite familiar with how The Donald operates by now.

Why is that funny?

It's true, he does do outrageous, unhinged and crazy things so often it becomes tiresome to try and keep up with them. I think the world and particularly the US is quite familiar with how The Donald operates by now.
Exactly. There's nothing to be learned by the latest soundbite that I don't already know.

Back