America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,011 comments
When the Russians use Facebook, Twitter and TV to present their news to English speakers, this is fake news, disinformation and elections meddling.
When the USA, Britain and Germany spread their propaganda in the Russian media space, this is their exercise of freedom of speech.

Do you have a source for them claiming the latter or is that simply an opinion?

*bombshell secret tell-all book about the dark and nasty secrets of the Trump presidency is published*
*America struggles to reconcile that it comes from the one person in the country who is possibly less authentic than Donald Trump*

*bombshell secret tell-all book about the dark and nasty secrets of the Trump presidency is published*
*America struggles to reconcile that it comes from the one person in the country who is possibly less authentic than Donald Trump*
Old news.

Yes, I'm aware that the post is likely in reference to Omarosa's newest effort to get attention, but I still can't help but feel like we've been through this before. And there's still a [not insignificant] part of me that thinks Trump and/or his circle of friends with whom he's managed to fill his own swamp were behind Wolff and "his" book for the added attention...so why would this not leave me with similar thoughts?

Since the USSF "United States Space Force" is going to happen... Is there any way for me, as an european, to vote for @Rallywagon 's avatar to be the official logo of the new branch of military?Especially the orange color makes it stand out.

198911.jpg

I think its much much better then any of the below! I mean "mars awaits"? Does that mean Mars is the enemy? I guess "infinity and beyond" is copyrighted.

space.force_.jpg

Can we even legally create a space force? I thought there were international treaties signed to keep any country from militarizing up there.

your comment just made me realise he is probably creating a "space force" to eventually monetize it by making the US the first to militarise it and perhaps force ownership or sell access etc.
Imagine a "Trump" space station.

Do you have a source for them claiming the latter or is that simply an opinion?
It's not like they literally 'claim' the latter but of course they mean it. Imagine what would happen of some actions were taken against them.

Remember when the US government instructed RT to register as a foreign agent? Russia responded by making similar law to register foreign backed media outlets working in RF (including the US-sponsored Voice of America, Radio Liberty and others) as foreign agents. And what was the reaction of our Western partners? "Russia, how dare you?! You're attacking free media, free society, blah blah blah".

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-puti...aw-rferl-voa-cnn-deutsche-welle/28876680.html
Visiting the Moscow bureau of RFE/RL and VOA on November 17, U.S. Ambassador Jon Huntsman said that the Russian legislation was a "big concern" for the United States and that "the principles of free media in any free society and democracy are absolutely critical for strength and well-being."

Can we even legally create a space force? I thought there were international treaties signed to keep any country from militarizing up there.
If anything, the Space Force will probably be the same as NASA but there's more military influence and less focus on climate change research. In other words, it's NASA but it follows the political beliefs of the GOP! :rolleyes:

To answer your question: As far as I know, there are no treaties preventing militarisation in space. Russia and China have also made militarial moves in space:

The Guardian
In 2007, China destroyed one of its own satellites, in a test of a weapon that could be used to target others. Russia has also tested a missile that could be used to track and destroy satellites.
Link to the article
Since the USSF "United States Space Force" is going to happen... Is there any way for me, as an european, to vote for @Rallywagon 's avatar to be the official logo of the new branch of military?Especially the orange color makes it stand out.

198911.jpg
His avatar is supposed to make fun of the proposed 'space force.' "Lasers! Pew Pew Pew" is intended to be satirical, and "Impeachimus maximus" is supposed to convey that the creation of the 'space force' is grounds for impeachment. The orange is a joke relating to the 'orange skin' insult commonly associated with Trump. I do not think he (Trump) would approve of such a logo.

His avatar is supposed to make fun of the proposed 'space force.' "Lasers! Pew Pew Pew" is intended to be satirical, and "Impeachimus maximus" is supposed to convey that the creation of the 'space force' is grounds for impeachment. The orange is a joke relating to the 'orange skin' insult commonly associated with Trump. I do not think he (Trump) would approve of such a logo.
popping_balloon.png

I was being sarcastic. But thanks for the unnecessary explanation anyways! 👍

Ofcourse space force is an excuse to militarise NASA. But this is the most idiotic of all ideas from the trump administration. There is no threat from space! NASA and other Space programs already monitor any potential threats. And even if there would be a threat it would be much smarter to build global program. Wouldnt it be much better to find other life in the universe first?

But there could be in the future if a country decided to abandon the existing worldwide agreement to not militarise space exploration. Like the USA has done, for example. See how easy it was?

So the threat is the USA itself? Why would any country wage war in space? They want to shoot lasers from space to kill terrorists and missiles? Isnt it way cheaper to use UAV's? Or do they want to resurrect project "star wars"? Isn't the only way to take out a bad guy with a nuke is a good guy with a nuke?

Which agreement are you referring to by the way? I just dont understand how this idea got support and is actually happening? Couldnt they just allocate more budget to the airforce? Setting up a whole new branche will bring immense costs.

I think the US should have set up a global or NATO space force and let everyone pay a fair share... That would have made much more sense.

Which agreement are you referring to by the way?

Outer Space Treaty.

Why would any country wage war in space?

Because once parts of the solar system are settled access to valuable mineral deposits becomes easier. If you control super-terrestrial orbits through force then you can weaponise those spaces and point said weapons back at Earth. It's not a big technological step even now to send nuclearised re-entry vehicles down to land roughly anywhere on Earth.

I think the US should have set up a global or NATO space force...

If the US set it up then it isn't global - and there's already a global agreement that such a force (with its militaristic undertones) shouldn't exist. Why would the USA be able to set something up for NATO? They're an equal member like everybody else, despite the fact that Trump seems to think it's a US organisation.

If the US set it up then it isn't global - and there's already a global agreement that such a force (with its militaristic undertones) shouldn't exist. Why would the USA be able to set something up for NATO? They're an equal member like everybody else, despite the fact that Trump seems to think it's a US organisation.

The US likes to think it set up the Marshall Plan and NATO to unite the shattered, down at heel nations of post WWII Europe into an alliance to fight communism.

General Smedley Butler once quipped, "War is a racket". The US may be likened to a mob boss running a perpetual racket for its own benefit. It doesn't take Sun Tzu to recognize that the high ground (outer space) confers a great advantage.

Last edited:
Outer Space Treaty.

Because once parts of the solar system are settled access to valuable mineral deposits becomes easier. If you control super-terrestrial orbits through force then you can weaponise those spaces and point said weapons back at Earth. It's not a big technological step even now to send nuclearised re-entry vehicles down to land roughly anywhere on Earth.

Perhaps, but it is not costeffictive to setup weapons in orbit to wage war on earth. And for other reasons I have seen to many james bond movies to tell you why setting something up like that is not a good idea. The only good reason to setup a space force is for threats in outer space. And this should be a global initiative. This has Trumps ego written all over it. He wants this to be his legacy.

I used the wrong words. I meant the US should propose to NATO to setup a global space force. You understand what i was proposing.

Perhaps, but it is not costeffictive to setup weapons in orbit to wage war on earth.

Yes it is, especially if you can guarantee a win.

And for other reasons I have seen to many james bond movies to tell you why setting something up like that is not a good idea.

I get that this is probably sarcasm but it just undermines your point.

I used the wrong words. I meant the US should propose to NATO to setup a global space force. You understand what i was proposing.

Nope, I didn't. Why would NATO doing something make it any more global than the US doing it? If by "global" you mean "North Atlantic Treaty Partners" then you should probably be in the Flat Earth thread :D

Yes it is, especially if you can guarantee a win.

I get that this is probably sarcasm but it just undermines your point.

Nope, I didn't. Why would NATO doing something make it any more global than the US doing it? If by "global" you mean "North Atlantic Treaty Partners" then you should probably be in the Flat Earth thread

No it doesnt undermine my point. Do you want an evil villain taking over a space laser to take the world hostage or destroy the world?

To be clear I meant that the US initiate proposing it as a global space force to all the countries. Are you delibirating misrepresenting my post?

No it doesnt undermine my point. Do you want an evil villain taking over a space laser to take the world hostage or destroy the world?

Are you being serious?

To be clear I meant that the US initiate proposing it as a global space force to all the countries. Are you delibirating misrepresenting my post?

So what's wrong with the global agreement that's already in place? And there's no misrepresentation - first you said "The US should set up a global or NATO space force", something that clearly already exists or, in the case of NATO, wouldn't be 'global' by any stretch of the imagination... then you said 'I meant the US should propose to NATO to setup a global space force' which still wouldn't be global. NATO isn't even all of North America or Europe.

Regardless of legal and/or ethical implications, the texts sent between Strozk and Page weren't appropriate behavior for individuals of their respective stations; that they've been penalized with termination is appropriate.

You mean yet another former Trump White House staffer is in hot water?

*gasp*

What does that say about choices he's made in staffing? Maybe he should ditch the nepotism and cronyism, filling positions with individuals that have experience instead of integrating those with whom he has had prior relationships, regardless how incidental. Seriously...a former participant of The Apprentice that didn't even win? Sad.

Are you being serious?

So what's wrong with the global agreement that's already in place? And there's no misrepresentation - first you said "The US should set up a global or NATO space force", something that clearly already exists or, in the case of NATO, wouldn't be 'global' by any stretch of the imagination... then you said 'I meant the US should propose to NATO to setup a global space force' which still wouldn't be global. NATO isn't even all of North America or Europe.

To put it in other words if the USA (with a weaponized space force) ever comes in hands of a power hungry dictator wannabe, he will be able to extort every country for absolute power.

Ok scrap my NATO comment, my intention was a global space force in the same gest as the original paris climate agreement. I made mistakes in my writing and should have been more accurate. I apologise for the inaccuracy, I am writing a little too fast here.

To put it in other words if the USA (with a weaponized space force) ever comes in hands of a power hungry dictator wannabe, he will be able to extort every country for absolute power.

There are a number of countries that already have the ability to destroy the planet's entire surface with nuclear strikes. That horse has bolted, I'm afraid.

There are a number of countries that already have the ability to destroy the planet's entire surface with nuclear strikes. That horse has bolted, I'm afraid.
Yes but a project "star wars" like weapon could take out those nuclear thermal weapons when they are airborn with pinpoint accuracy. It is never good when only 1 nation has this kind of power.

Yes but a project "star wars" like weapon could take out those nuclear thermal weapons when they are airborn with pinpoint accuracy. It is never good when only 1 nation has this kind of power.

You mean like during WWII? When one country developed nukes and used them to usher in an era of relative peace?

Because once parts of the solar system are settled access to valuable mineral deposits becomes easier.

I can’t see space mining for profit being a thing. It’s so expensive to launch a spacecraft into orbit and the mass you can bring back to Earth is limited.

I can’t see space mining for profit being a thing. It’s so expensive to launch a spacecraft into orbit and the mass you can bring back to Earth is limited.

If you could make rocket propellant in space, it would be worth far more than rocket propellant on the ground - because it's so hard to get it into space. Water is also far more valuable in space. And oxygen.

No one on either side is going to feel sorry for her.

Her book claims Trump was using racial slurs back during the Apprentice and that she had recordings of it. And yet, she still accepted working in the White House with him. I don't think you can be buddy-buddy with someone you claim is making racial comments and then call them out when your relationship falls apart years later; she could've easily brought these allegations out back then when they happened.

If you could make rocket propellant in space, it would be worth far more than rocket propellant on the ground - because it's so hard to get it into space. Water is also far more valuable in space. And oxygen.
Not to mention the business of creating larger space stations. Even foundering metal and manufacturing components on the moon would be more cost effective than the same on earth and then blasting it off to space. Once that sort of manufacturing have been put into place.

May as well turn this presidency into a full time Reality show, we're already (over) halfway there and now we have recordings. Why not just go the full monty? Break out the TV crews and cameras and make it into a satire version of the West Wing. I mean we already have a reality TV president....
--

I can see I didn't miss much in my week away from the real world. I was in Sunriver, OR, beautiful place to go on long bike rides, or play in the river. I don't golf but there are 3 very nice courses to bike around that provide great scenery. I'm definitely going back.

Eagle-Crest-2012-Golf-Memberships1.jpg

sunriver-resort_scenic_sunset-crpd1200x800.jpg

44098.jpg

Miles and miles of paved bike paths, that was probably my favorite part (other than the breweries, of course).

sunriver-half-marathon-092015-14.jpg

The-Village-at-Sunriver-4.jpg

I might have to move....

Back