America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,011 comments
Man, Mittens is once again saying the right thing:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...trump-commuting-roger-stone-s-prison-n1233577

I very much agree with him too. Commuting the sentence of Roger Stone is some next level corruption on Trump's part.

This is real leadership coming from the GOP. Mitt is consistently out there showing the way instead of covering his rear. I don't agree with him on everything, but he has been impressive. Someone had to fill the void left by McCain.

It's a shame that all the rest are following the corruption. There was one other republican senator against it, but toeing the party line.
Sen. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania was the only other Republican to join Romney in publicly disagreeing with the president on Saturday.

"While I understand the frustration with the badly flawed Russia-collusion investigation, in my view, commuting Roger Stone’s sentence is a mistake," Toomey said in a statement on Saturday. "Any objections to Mr. Stone’s conviction and trial should be resolved through the appeals process.”

Stone seems to be the only person wearing a facemask in his pictures.

201107-rogerstone-er-115am_ccf094ffd567d09efe04ed3260fd7b45.fit-1520w.jpg
nn_kod_roger_stone_sentence_200711_1594508935182.focal-1000x563.jpg

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/12/8900...e-of-trump-rewarding-his-friends-scholars-say
How Trump's use of clemency differs from other Presidents:
With only a handful of exceptions, Osler said, Trump's clemency grants have gone to "people he knows or learned about from Fox News." On a single day in February, Trump pardoned or commuted the sentences of 11 people, all of whom had one thing in common: either their cases were promoted on Fox News or they had an inside connection to the president.

Trump also prefers to disregard the advice of the Office of the Pardon Attorney in the Department of Justice, said American University professor Jeffrey Crouch, who has written extensively on the presidential pardon power. That office is responsible for vetting the thousands of clemency requests the government gets every year.

For over a century, presidents have relied on the recommendations of that office. Not so for Trump, who prefers to make his own decisions. A Washington Post investigation found that most of Trump's grants of clemency "have gone to well-connected offenders who had not filed petitions with the pardon office or did not meet its requirements."

"He has largely ignored the little guy, or anonymous offenders who apply for presidential mercy through the usual channels," Crouch told NPR. "Under President Trump, the old back door to clemency — getting the president's attention somehow — seems to have become the new front door."

It's about on par with what you would expect.

In the United States you get punished for telling the truth and doing the right thing and rewarded for lying and doing the wrong thing.

The USA has lived long enough to see itself become a villain.

In the United States you get punished for telling the truth and doing the right thing and rewarded for lying and doing the wrong thing.

The USA has lived long enough to see itself become a villain.
Catchy quote! But to be fair to those American people who still know right from wrong, I think the villain is a certain someone who's doing the punishing and rewarding, and his enablers.

Even the most dedicated Trump supporters must see that commuting Stone's sentence is blatant corruption and entirely unacceptable? @Chrunch Houston?

"Obama commuted over 2,000 sentences during his time in office! Trump has only commuted 200!"
- Trump Supporters, probably

But from what I can tell by reading the comments section of various news sources (I'm a masochist, I guess) Stone was convicted based on an investigation that never should've happened in the first place, so he isn't guilty because...I don't know, reasons I suppose. I think the average news story commentator is too out of shape to continue the mental gymnastics so they just stop at that.

Even the most dedicated Trump supporters must see that commuting Stone's sentence is blatant corruption and entirely unacceptable? @Chrunch Houston?

Don't hold your breath. His supporters could be given the benefit of the doubt back before the election. Or during his first year in office. But at this point, anybody who still believes this criminal is "draining the swamp" is either permenantly and hopelessly blind to his endless stream of nefarious activity or probably approves of his conduct.

Don't hold your breath. His supporters could be given the benefit of the doubt back before the election. Or during his first year in office. But at this point, anybody who still believes this criminal is "draining the swamp" is either permenantly and hopelessly blind to his endless stream of nefarious activity or probably approves of his conduct.

There's only so many times, somebody should be able to cry wolf and a reasonable person would accept it. Crying wolf in this case would be all the hoaxes, blaming advisers, and not accepting any responsibility.

I am not really familiar with the case against Stone. I know the Republican talking points about the case, but that's about it.

I will say this though. Since I don't buy into the notion that everything Trump does is for some nefarious reason, I don't have a problem with the commutation. In fact, it seems to me that if this were a corrupt act, Trump would have waited until after the election. He is savvy enough consider the optics of the situation.

I am not really familiar with the case against Stone. I know the Republican talking points about the case, but that's about it.

I will say this though. Since I don't buy into the notion that everything Trump does is for some nefarious reason, I don't have a problem with the commutation. In fact, it seems to me that if this were a corrupt act, Trump would have waited until after the election. He is savvy enough consider the optics of the situation.

So... no then?

You constantly label all Trump detractors as delusional, but you can't even be bothered to pay attention to what's happening around him?

Stone lied to investigators. He obstructed justice. He tampered with witnesses. He was convicted of all of these things by a jury of his peers. Then his sentence was commuted by the same man all of that lying and obstructing protected. If it wasn't corruption, then nothing is.

Which makes it all the more strange that your justification was "I don't know anything about the event in question, but since Trump is too smart to be corrupt he must not be and therefore I have no reason to take issue with it."
Thank you Mr. Schiff.

Minnesota asked the Federal Government for money to rebuild what was burnt and looted by the rioters. That's rich. How about asking the BLM people to pay for it? I am 100% behind Trump on this one........NO!

Minnesota you crapped in your own bed, now you have to sleep in it.

Minnesota asked the Federal Government for money to rebuild what was burnt and looted by the rioters. That's rich. How about asking the BLM people to pay for it? I am 100% behind Trump on this one........NO!

Minnesota you crapped in your own bed, now you have to sleep in it.

Can you explain more about this. What are they asking to be rebuilt? Is it state property, federal property, some of each? Can you explain how Minnesota "crapped in [their] own bed"?

Can you explain more about this. What are they asking to be rebuilt? Is it state property, federal property, some of each? Can you explain how Minnesota "crapped in [their] own bed"?

"The federal government has denied a request from the state of Minnesota for a disaster declaration and accompanying financial support, to help clean up and repair fire damage from unrest following the police killing of George Floyd."

How did Minnesota "crap" in their own bed? They allowed the looting and rioting to happen. Some say, they encouraged it by doing nothing.

Back