America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,011 comments
Man if I was forced to stay home that whole time I would probably spend way too much time here. :lol:

I get that, but I have been busy rerouting funds and negotiating with suppliers and landlords, negotiating with staff, busy with inventory, finishing construction on the new business, applying for loans, negotiating with the IRA, helping with the kids etc... being a business owner during a lockdown is sadly not just to stay home and Netflix and chill... I haven’t had any time playing any racing game

"One more turd in the punch bowl"

Pompeo lifts "self-imposed restrictions" on U.S.-Taiwan relationship

It's pretty obvious that this will rile tensions between the US and China, and then when Biden engages diplomatically with China, Republicans will accuse him of being soft or being compromised. This move just overcomplicates things at an already very complicated time and is a clear effort to burn everything down on the way out. Absolutely despicable people.

Conflict with China is a matter of high seriousness, to say the least. Biden is on record as being pro-Taiwan, but also pro "one-China policy". Once China moves to subsume the island, our position is in ruins. IMHO, there is no realistic military scenario in which the US successfully defends Taiwan from China, which of course it is a part. If Biden can figure this out, he will be the greatest political genius since Bismarck.

A difficult assumption to make.
I'll go out on a limb and make the additional assumption that the South China Sea is also ultimately a part of China. It would be nice to be able to militarily defend Taiwan and the South China Sea, but I don't see the US as having the force, the will or the mandate to do so. So it must be diplomacy, trade sanctions or other means.

Last edited:
I'll go out on a limb and make the additional assumption that the South China Sea is also ultimately a part of China. It would be nice to be able to militarily defend Taiwan and the South China Sea, but I don't see the US as having the force, the will or the mandate to do so. So it must be diplomacy, trade sanctions or other means.
So then how does this avoid being a Sudetenland situation?

but I don't see the US as having the force, the will or the mandate to do so.
It's not the US's mandate that matters, it's that of international law and all the other countries in the area who despite disagreements have not attempted war to solve them. China is undoubtedly the belligerent in all its of its arguments and that puts them on the back foot when it comes to any "rights" they think they might have.

A difficult assumption to make.

Not if you're an expert at misusing words and conflate the Republic of China and the People's Republic of China as being identical and unitary. They're both "China" after all.

Which, I mean, obviously they're not or there wouldn't even be an issue, but if things are both called the same name they must be the same, right? Logic! Get that man a Nobel Peace Prize!

Melania Trump has now, finally, spoken about the true victim of last Wednesday's events: herself.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...a-trump-capitol-riots-statement-b1785374.html

Melania's full statement
Like all of you, I have reflected on the past year and how the invisible enemy, Covid-19, swept across our beautiful country. All Nations have experienced the loss of loved ones, economic pain, and the negative impacts of isolation.

As your First Lady, it has been inspiring to witness firsthand what the people of our great Nation will do for one another, especially when we are at our most vulnerable.

With nearly every experience I have had, I found myself carrying many individual’s stories home with me in my heart.

Most recently, my heart goes out to: Air Force Veteran, Ashli Babbitt, Benjamin Philips, Kevin Greeson, Roseanne Boyland, and Capitol Police Officers, Brian Sicknick and Howard Liebengood. I pray for their families comfort and strength during this difficult time.

I am disappointed and disheartened with what happened last week. I find it shameful that surrounding these tragic events there has been salacious gossip, unwarranted personal attacks, and false misleading accusations on me – from people who are looking to be relevant and have an agenda. This time is solely about healing our country and its citizens. It should not be used for personal gain.

Our Nation must heal in a civil manner. Make no mistake about it, I absolutely condemn the violence that has occurred on our Nation’s Capitol. Violence is never acceptable.

As an American, I am proud of our freedom to express our viewpoints without persecution. It is one of the paramount ideals which America is fundamentally built on. Many have made the ultimate sacrifice to protect that right. With that in mind, I would like to call on the citizens of this country to take a moment, pause, and look at things from all perspectives.

I implore people to stop the violence, never make assumptions based on the color of a person’s skin or use differing political ideologies as a basis for aggression and viciousness. We must listen to one another, focus on what unites us, and rise above what divides us.

It is inspiring to see that so many have found a passion and enthusiasm in participating in an election, but we must not allow that passion to turn to violence. Our path forward is to come together, find our commonalities, and be the kind and strong people that I know we are.

Our country’s strength and character have revealed themselves in the communities that have been impacted by natural disasters and throughout this terrible pandemic that has affected all of us. The common thread in all of these challenging situations is American’s unwavering resolve to help one another. Your compassion has shown the true spirit of our country.

As I said over the summer, it is these defining moments that we will look back and tell our grandchildren that through empathy, strength, and determination, we were able to restore the promise of our future. Each of you are the backbone of this country. You are the people who continue to make the United States of America what it is, and who have the incredible responsibility of preparing our future generations to leave everything better than they found it.

It has been the honor of my lifetime to serve as your First Lady. I want to thank the millions of Americans who supported my husband and me over the past 4 years and shown the incredible impact of the American spirit. I am grateful to you all for letting me serve you on platforms which are dear to me.

Most importantly, I ask for healing, grace, understanding, and peace for our great Nation.

Every day let us remember that we are one Nation under God. God bless you all and God bless the United States of America.

Sincerely,

Melania Trump

Last edited:
Melania Trump has now, finally, spoken about the true victim of last Wednesday's events: herself.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...a-trump-capitol-riots-statement-b1785374.html

Well, two things we can learn from this.

While Melania couldn't possibly be as self centered, cruel, narcissistic, and petulant as the rest of the Trump family, when it comes down to it, she probably wishes the rest of us all just ate cake.

And two, it's pretty clear that her four year anti-bullying campaign worked.

Last edited:
Spot the difference.

r1oelhdzvla61.png

Spot the difference.

r1oelhdzvla61.png

When I see that many flags, I think of this misattribution:

"If fascism came to America it would come wrapped in the flag and whistling 'The Star Spangled Banner'"

Harrison Salisbury paraphrasing Sinclair Lewis

Last edited:
For the Americans on the board (and I guess non-Americans too) where does the event of last week register on your scale of relative seriousness? I honestly cannot think of another event other than 9/11 that feels as heavy. Not the Oklahoma city bombing, not the unibomber, none of the mass shootings (though Las Vegas isn't far off). I think the Covid Pandemic, as a whole, feels more serious but man last Wednesday was wild. I'll rank it #2 most tectonic event of my lifetime.

For the Americans on the board (and I guess non-Americans too) where does the event of last week register on your scale of relative seriousness? I honestly cannot think of another event other than 9/11 that feels as heavy. Not the Oklahoma city bombing, not the unibomber, none of the mass shootings (though Las Vegas isn't far off). I think the Covid Pandemic, as a whole, feels more serious but man last Wednesday was wild. I'll rank it #2 most tectonic event of my lifetime.
Pretty much similar thought to yours. The outcome may not look like much considering there wasn't a lot of physical violence or vandalism at first glance, but the fact it happened, the absolute ease of difficulty of how it was carried out, & the sheer potential of destruction that could've resulted instead is far more concerning than many think. We may be as so lucky to ignorantly believe, "Oh, some dudes just put their feet up on a desk" whilst overlooking that people stormed the Capitol and got in. It's such a massive security breach.

OKC bombing though, is still a heavy event, imo. But, I lived near there in my early youth during it & have been back many, many times. That not only was also a federal building attacked, but there's still heavy hearts remembering a daycare was inside & 19 children were lost. That photo of Chris Fields holding Baylee Almon is a lifetime reminder of that event's outcome.

Last edited:
It's definitely up there. Unless there are major consequences, things are bound to worsen and we might find ourselves in an extremely dark place in a decade or two after somebody more competent than Trump steps up to the plate.

Fortunately there does seem to be some reaping of what's been sowed going on, and in general it seems like people have learned better than to accept Republicans' hollow pleas for "unity"... but whether it'll be enough, I guess we'll see.

I think you could put Columbine as one that's up there. While there'd been school shootings before, this was the one that really put them front and center, cementing that kids aren't even safe at school. I remember I was in middle school and working as set crew for a play. I remember my mom coming to pick me up early from play practice because she didn't know what was going on. She wasn't the only one either, most parents were getting their kids early. It was also the first time I'd ever really seen my mom shaken by something.

But 9/11 was probably the heaviest since it was a direct attack by a foreign enemy on US soil. The events that followed just added weight to the situation as well.

The early days of COVID felt pretty heavy and still feels really heavy, but I think the divide it's creating is not really helping. After 9/11 you saw nearly the entire country come together and people, for the most part, were there for one another. With COVID, it just feels like "🤬 you I won't do what you tell me".

And the events at the Capitol are certainly up there, at least in the top 5 from the 30 odd years I've been alive. Unfortunately, I feel like it's only the beginning too and I'm legitimately afraid of what's going to go down around inauguration day.

The early days of COVID felt pretty heavy and still feels really heavy, but I think the divide it's creating is not really helping. After 9/11 you saw nearly the entire country come together and people, for the most part, were there for one another. With COVID, it just feels like "🤬 you I won't do what you tell me".
The idea of a common enemy far away would have contributed to that unity after 9/11.

The Oklahoma City (OKC) Bombing is different because I remember exactly where I was when it happened. I have probably driven by the OKC Bombing Memorial at least half dozen times in the last year. I have visited the Museum once and walked through the grounds a number of times. It has an incredibly impact on the emotions.

The OKC bombing should feel heavier than it does because it is the United States' deadliest domestic terrorist attack. We saw some of the same anger directed at the US Capitol last week. Fortunately, that was less deadly, but the anger no less real.

I am not sure the exact order, but my top four would probably be 9/11, OKC Bombing, COVID 19 Pandemic, and last week's storming.

The idea of a common enemy far away would have contributed to that unity after 9/11.
You'd think people could view COVID as a common enemy, but I guess half of us are too unimaginative to allow anything but fellow humans to fill that need for an enemy.

Back