American GodsTV 

• Thread starter Mr P
  • 9 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
American Gods
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1898069/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Storyline:
Shadow is a man with a past. But now he wants nothing more than to live a quiet life with his wife and stay out of trouble. Until he learns that she's been killed in a terrible accident. Flying home for the funeral, as a violent storm rocks the plane, he is greeted by a strange man in the seat next to him. The man calls himself Mr. Wednesday, and he knows more about Shadow than is possible. He warns Shadow that a far bigger storm is coming. And from that moment on, nothing will ever be the same. Written by HarperTorch

Wow.. I just watched Episode 1 of this and it's one hell of a season opener, I can't wait for episode 2! I'm pretty much hooked already :D If you like fantasy with a dark no holds barred delivery? then this will be for you!
That was an hour I don't want back haha :cool:👍

I never read the novel mate I watched it as a newbie :D It's seems really good though going by the opener 👍

I don't see how it could beat the novel.
Early days yet and having both read the full version of the novel plus seen the first episode, I'm quietly confident that it'll be good.

Ian McShane is an excellent choice for Mr Wednesday.

...Caught the first episode today and it sure has potential, but I didn't care for the BGM. I thought it was too intrusive and didn't really fit the mood of the scenes well. Hopefully, it doesn't go the way of Preacher, which I thought was a bit of letdown overall.

Gillian Anderson does a very credible Lucille Ball, I must say; the series also has some superb visuals so far.

Gillian Anderson continues to impress. I always thought she had surprises in her since seeing Straightheads - episode five she does Ziggy Stardust and Marilyn Monroe proud.

If you don't already know, the book to movie/tv thing works this way:
If you read the book before you see the movie you will be disappointed.
If you see the movie before you read the book you will be happy.

I've learned to get over expectations. You simply can't provide the amount of narrative detail in a movie that you can in a book.

The place it can really irritate you is the rewriting of the plot. Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire is definitely one of those.

Ian McShane I think was already in. At the 10th anniversary of the book, they put out a special audiobook version with a lot of talent reading the parts and Ian McShane had the Wednesday role then. (That was my listening programming for my Memorial Day interstate travel (~1000 miles))

And yes, very cool to see Gillian Anderson get a part.

Yes, I'm aware of the book to screen effect @radix023 having seen a few in my time from Kes onwards ;) This one I feel though hasn't miss-stepped yet, which is a good thing at five episodes into the series. Visually the team have built an atmosphere that fits the story - it probably won't suit everyone, as there is also personal interpretation of almost all writers' work - I do think however that it has a suitably Gaimanesque and Twin Peaks feel to it, which to my eyes, suits it well.

Back