Amuse Powerhouse responsible for Engine Sounds

Indonesia
Jakarta
Normalaatsra
I finished the game to an extent that I get to watch the credits roll. I was paying attention to the whole list and noticed that the sound producers come from Powerhouse Amuse.

I am a little surprised as it wasn't Polyphony Digital that is the leading cause to everyone's favorite problem. A more surprising note that the sound team comes from a tuning shop that has been working with Polyphony Digital, one of their closest partners after Opera Performance. And it's even, even, more surprising, that Amuse Powerhouse produces their own exhaust systems.

So what should GTP user's do now we learned this, charge an angry mob towards the tuning shop? :lol:

No, it would be.. amusing lol
1312559259218.png

No wonder they get everything non JDM wrong. These people probably haven't seen anything bigger than a four cylinder in their lives :lol:

No, but jokes aside. I do think this is still PD's fault. And I'm sure if a tuning company was in charge of the sounds, they would know what sound goes to which car.

Well I think the samples aren't bad, the sample are recorded in real life after all. I think the digital editing of the original sound samples is totally wrong, You can hear it in Impreza's for example. All the rumble and "recording soudn"is filtered out (by PD seen as imperfections) this makes you just hear the vacuum cleaner sound and nothing else.

Well I think the samples aren't bad, the sample are recorded in real life after all. I think the digital editing of the original sound samples is totally wrong, You can hear it in Impreza's for example. All the rumble and "recording soudn"is filtered out (by PD seen as imperfections) this makes you just hear the vacuum cleaner sound and nothing else.

Exactly, I believe that's why Kaz said the sounds "are too good" maybe a mistranslation from "too perfect" which would be the correct term.

I remember someone once posted a video with some effects added to the game which added "noise" and distortion to the games sound and it sounded reaally better.

Here it is:

Samples even though they could be better, they aren't bad. They are just misplaced in a bunch of cars. And the Imprezas are okay. Not perfect, but okay. Remember they are JDM spec Imprezas and don't have unequal length headers. The Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Spec C Type RA (dat name!) is probably the most exact sounding Impreza in the game, along with the old ones.

And most people change the exhaust on everything, ruining the sound completely. And we know that changing the exhaust in any Gran Turismo ends up on changing the sample into a completely random sound that has nothing to do with the car's original engine type.

Samples even though they could be better, they aren't bad. They are just misplaced in a bunch of cars. And the Imprezas are okay. Not perfect, but okay. Remember they are JDM spec Imprezas and don't have unequal length headers. The Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Spec C Type RA (dat name!) is probably the most exact sounding Impreza in the game, along with the old ones.

And most people change the exhaust on everything, ruining the sound completely. And we know that changing the exhaust in any Gran Turismo ends up on changing the sample into a completely random sound that has nothing to do with the car's original engine type.
That is what I tried to say: The samples aren't wrong, the after editting is wrong. And the Imprezas don't sound OK, they sound like they have a 4 cilinder Toyota engine in stead of a 4 cilinder rumbling boxer. ;)

That is what I tried to say: The samples aren't wrong, the after editting is wrong. And the Imprezas don't sound OK, they sound like they have a 4 cilinder Toyota engine in stead of a 4 cilinder rumbling boxer. ;)

As a matter of fact, they do sound okay (at least the Spec C Type RA). Here's how a real Impreza sounds:

No boxer rumble like the American Imprezas.

Another one. Lovely car. Nothing better than the real deal.

Last edited:
The JDM STIs actually sound kind of like an Evo. I prefer this over the export STI.

I completely agree with you on that. The boxer rumble is nice but it gets old pretty quick. And the engine in these older JDM Spec Imprezas is much better because it's an actual 2.0 like the WRC cars of that time, instead of the big 2.5 of the exports. It made more sense.

I completely agree with you on that. The boxer rumble is nice but it gets old pretty quick. And the engine in these older JDM Spec Imprezas is much better because it's an actual 2.0 like the WRC cars of that time, instead of the big 2.5 of the exports. It made more sense.

I own an '02 WRX with a 'rumbling' exhaust & if it didn't sound like that at least half the fun of the car would be gone. That boxer rumble is the defining feature of a tuned WRX, it's awesome. I never get sick of it, never will.

Also, the 2.5L engine is the better engine for countries like ours & America because we are used to bigger cars with torque. The 2.0L is probably fractionally lighter & might well rev a bit higher, but (& Im speaking from experience ) it is one of the most laggy engines in the world. If you just drive them normally off a set of lights a family car will leave you for dead because you have no torque down low, & positively no power until you hit boost. Now this is something that gets old real quick! :) The 2.5L doesn't have any torque issues, it still takes time to spool up but with more torque down low, it doesn't matter so much.

Last edited:
I don't disagree some cars just don't sound right but if you haven't yet tried this change your audio settings and you will find a big improvement in many of them. I changed my PS3 audio settings and my ingame audio settings as well as turned off all BGM and WOWZERS at the difference it made. The cars sound exquisite now!

I'd assume Amuse is simply the ones that let PD run cars on a dyno in order for them to be recorded. Either that, or they offered up titanium, non-road legal exhausts to be used as a basic sample of for the same type of exhaust in-game.

I dont get why people care about the exhaust sounds. For most people its their speakers that are at fault anyway.

I don't disagree some cars just don't sound right but if you haven't yet tried this change your audio settings and you will find a big improvement in many of them. I changed my PS3 audio settings and my ingame audio settings as well as turned off all BGM and WOWZERS at the difference it made. The cars sound exquisite now!
Can you explain it better please?

Even if Amuse intentionally :censored:s up all the sounds because they want to, it would still be Kaz's responsibility. He already partnered up with KW to create arguably one of the most realistic suspension systems in a racing game ever. If Kaz joined up with, say, a company that specializes in recording proper car sounds (quick, some bring up a company name), I'm sure it could deliver better sounds than the ones right now...

Is it also my speaker's fault that it plays engine sounds from Forza, NFS, F1 2010, and Dirt 3 beautifully?
I'm going to start with an apology. What I meant to say and didn't really say at all is that its not the sounds themselves that are poor imo but its the sound mixing. In GT4 the exhaust always sounded great when I was in rear view cam or when I had the volume jacked to 100%. If they would just mix the sound better so that you can actually hear the exhaust then it would sound really good.

Power House Amuse are indeed credited, but as "Engine Sound Support".

Here's the full list:
Lead Sound Designer:
Masao Kimura​
Sound Simulation:
Daisuke Takeuchi​
Sound Designers:
Kazuma Kasuga
Noburo Masuda
Tomohiro Imura
Takashi Uno
Tsubasa Ito
Naoya Kurosaki​
JAPAN Studio Sound & Video Library Team
Isama Terasaka
Mitsuteru Furukawa
Junichi Komori
Shingo Matsumoto​
Engine Sound Support
Power House Amuse Inc.:

Hideki Tanabe, Chizuko Tanabe
Hitoshi Matsui​
Global Technology
Audio Team:

Keith Charley - Senior Manager Programming
Garin Hiebert - Senior Staff Programmer
Joshua Breindel - Staff Audio Software Engineer
Laurent Betbeder - Principle Programmer
John Gordon - Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Carlo Vogelsang - Staff Software Engineer
Nicky Hind - Senior Tech Writer​

Compare with GT5 and GT5 Prologue:

GT5:P, from the same site.

Sound Simulation:
Daisuke Takeuchi
Youhei Shimizu​
Sound Producer:
Shinpei Yamaguchi​
Lead Sound Designer:
Masao Kimura​
Sound Designer:
Yuji Yamauchi
Takashi Uno
Noburo Masuda
Mizuki Tsuda
Ryou Yamamura
Tomohiro Imura​
Notice the addition of "simulation", remember the news from Kaz that they've been working on a "completely new way" of "generating sound" for "a few" years (also: "placeholder") and:

From GT5's long ending movie (liable to be pulled):

Lead Sound Designer:
Masao Kimura​
Sound Simulation:
Daisuke Takeuchi
Youhei Shimizu​
Assistant Sound Producer:
Mizuki Tsuda​
Sound Designer:
Keiichi Kitahara
Takashi Uno
Kenjirou Yagi
Masahiro Fuji
Noburo Masuda
Keita Sone
Tsubasa Ito
Makoto Yamaguchi
Ryo Yamamura
Tomohiro Imura​
Pretty much the same thing as GT5:P.

For both GT5 and GT5:P, there is also credit given for "JAPAN Studio Sound & Video Library Team" employees, about 5 of them in either case.

That's a lot of effort on sound, and an awful lot on technical stuff, including what looks to be a whole sub team tasked with producing internal software for PD to use for sound production. My guess is, that'll have been for the new sounds.

EDIT: I agree that Amuse were probably on hand to test out some exhaust parts, on or off the cars... ;)

Even if Amuse intentionally :censored:s up all the sounds because they want to, it would still be Kaz's responsibility. He already partnered up with KW to create arguably one of the most realistic suspension systems in a racing game ever. If Kaz joined up with, say, a company that specializes in recording proper car sounds (quick, some bring up a company name), I'm sure it could deliver better sounds than the ones right now...

Best suspension model ever? That's a bit of a stretch. Until I can adjust toe, camber, and caster at all four corners individually with real adjustment numbers almost all the PC sims shame PD's suspension model.

I don't think so given that the samples you're hearing in GT6 came from GT5 and before that which reaffirms the "placeholders" theory.

Still, don't know why would PD choose them over a specialized studio, PD being PD I guess.

I don't think so given that the samples you're hearing in GT6 came from GT5 and before that which reaffirms the "placeholders" theory.

Still, don't know why would PD choose them over a specialized studio, PD being PD I guess.

They probably have a good working relationship with them already from previous projects, but it's most likely just to test out a few key principles by getting them to fabricate some, uh, test rigs for PD to play with, or just lending out parts.

Either that, or they shared empirical knowledge to help with "tuning" the new sounds - "yeah, that sounds like a VQ35 with blah blah..." etc.

Back