Amy Winehouse is dead !!

• Thread starter DQuaN
  • 183 comments
He's right though, they're both mental health issues really. Both likely caused by depression.

The bullied child is a completely different situation to the one at hand. The child is almost forced into suicide because of the torment, whereas Winehouse rejected rehab. Multiple times. It was her choice to go in or not, the child cannot control what people say or do to him.

The bullied child is a completely different situation to the one at hand. The child is almost forced into suicide because of the torment, whereas Winehouse rejected rehab. Multiple times. It was her choice to go in or not, the child cannot control what people say or do to him.

No it isn't. Children all over the world get bullied, not all of them commit suicide or even contemplate it. I wouldn't even say that bulling always causes depression, not in the medical sense of the word anyway.

Depression is a mental illness, it can be brought on by many different situations or combinations of situations. Sufferers deal with it in different ways. Some might contemplate suicide, some might turn to drink and/or drugs.

No it isn't. Children all over the world get bullied, not all of them commit suicide or even contemplate it. I wouldn't even say that bulling always causes depression, not in the medical sense of the word anyway.

Depression is a mental illness, it can be brought on by many different situations or combinations of situations. Sufferers deal with it in different ways. Some might contemplate suicide, some might turn to drink and/or drugs.

I was refering to the point Moot made.

Moot
If people are arguing she chose to kill herself through drugs, then it's no different from a bullied child hanging themselves in their bedroom. It's a suicide.

I think you've missed the point. We're discussing how much the Media is responsible for her private life not being private. We're not saying the Media 'killed' her.

In this instance, it's appropriate to place a large proportion of the blame on the Media.

And what does that have to do with anything? She chose to be a musician. She signed the record contract on the dotted line. She knew that if she was successful, the media would hound her every move. She could have decided to live a quiet life, but she chose to sign the record deal. Therefore she accepted that the media would broadcast her life.

It isn't appropriate to place any proportion of blame on the media. I myself am a musician and know that if I was successful, there's a good chance that the media will run with any story they can about me. So I have a choice. Do I want to try and be successful, or do I want to continue playing small clubs and be happy with that?

We all know how the media will hound "celebrities". So don't try and pretend that Amy didn't know it too. She chose to lead the lifestyle that she did. And she lived it under the spotlight, knowing cameras would follow her everywhere. As for the press, it fills their papers, so they can't be blamed because people still buy the 🤬 that they peddle.

Amy is responsible for her image as a drug addict. She behaved like one, she wrote songs about it. It's her fault.

So it's her fault because she wanted to be successful? People shouldn't want to be successful because they know the media will cover them? That seems quite unfair.

Amy is responsible for her image as a drug addict. She behaved like one, she wrote songs about it. It's her fault.

Excuse me for butting in like this, but I think you're right. Nobody forced her to be in the spot light - in fact, at times, it seemed to me as if she willingly did drugs and got on stage drunk to create spme buzz. I know that's an unfounded accusation and stuff, it's jut the feeling I had when I saw stuff like that.

I still blame the media to a certain extend. Not for Amy's death, though, but for showing that behaviour off to the general public instead of shunning her for it - but people seem to love to read and hear about that stuff, so it's to be expected, sadly.

Anyways, it's always a sad day when someone's kicking the bucket at an early age, but I think there are other people who've died due to drugs I have more sympathy for than for Amy Winehouse.
And, yup, I'm fairly willing to assume that that's the cause of her death. I'd be really suprised if it wasn't the case, or if the constant drug abuse wasn't at least some kind of factor.

So it's her fault because she wanted to be successful? People shouldn't want to be successful because they know the media will cover them? That seems quite unfair.
It just means that nobody forced her to be in the spot light and that, therefore, she should still be considered to be responsible for herself. Acting like the media killed her (yeah, I'm exeggerating to get my point across, obviously) doesn't seem to cut it, for me.

Last edited:
And what does that have to do with anything?

What, other than it being the current line of discussion?

She chose to be a musician. She signed the record contract on the dotted line. She knew that if she was successful, the media would hound her every move.

Right, and you're saying the media is completely without blame for this? So the paparazzi outside her house 24/7 have no choice other than to report everything in a sensationalist manner? Think about it.

She could have decided to live a quiet life, but she chose to sign the record deal. Therefore she accepted that the media would broadcast her life.

She had talent and she used it. Her music has been enjoyed by thousands of people. The argument that she should have never signed a record deal to avoid the media is ridiculous. But then you seem to think the media can hound celebrities without an ounce of responsibility their way.

It isn't appropriate to place any proportion of blame on the media. I myself am a musician and know that if I was successful, there's a good chance that the media will run with any story they can about me. So I have a choice. Do I want to try and be successful, or do I want to continue playing small clubs and be happy with that?

So if by some stroke of fortune you were offered a record deal, you wouldn't hesitate to discount it, despite the opportunities it would afford? Sure.

We all know how the media will hound "celebrities". So don't try and pretend that Amy didn't know it too.

So the media hound celebrities, twist facts and exaggerate, but are in no way responsible for the image the public have?

It is exhausting to discuss anything with you.

As for the press, it fills their papers, so they can't be blamed because people still buy the 🤬 that they peddle.

Wrong again. They can't be blamed? They're 100% accountable for what they choose to print. There's no governance over it forcing them to write or print anything other than what they choose to. They could have not published anything about her. However, they decided to.

She is responsible for her image, however she is not solely responsible.

Firstly, I don't like her music, at all..
She flirted with death by being a junkie and It became part of her public persona
She ignored the people around her, or... Did not have good people around her,
None of us actually knew her as a person,...

Either way, like her or not, pity her or not, it's a shame when somebody dies because they loose control of their life.

It we read in the news that Jane Average has died at the age of 27 after a long time of using drugs people would think "oh, another junkie dead, big deal, only got herself to blame, nobody forced her to do drugs in the first place" and I can fully well understand that point of view. But now we have Amy Winehouse dead after a long time of using drugs and people are busy finding reasons why everybody is at fault but herself. Hello logic, the only one to blame is the one who actually put all those drugs into her and I'm willing to bet it wasn't any outsider.

No, it's not her fault that she wanted to be successful. There is nothing wrong with that, but when you make a choice that can have a serious impact on your life, you should think about the pros and the cons. It's just plain common sense. She made the decision to sign the record deal, therefore she would have accepted the fact that the media will take an interest in her life. At that point she was in a crossroads. She could have accepted success and all the good things and bad things that come with it, or she could have stuck to being an unknown, free from the media and constant fan harassment.

She chose to sign the record contract, so she chose to take the risks that go with it. Even the likes of Justin Bieber understand this, so she would have understood this as well.

It is exhausting to discuss anything with you.

Right back at you. You are not even willing to accept anyone else's opinion. I'm simply stating the facts. Become famous and wander about drunk/drugged and your pictures will be in the newspapers. Simple as. Even a child understands this concept.

It's an "occupational hazard" of being famous. God knows how many "z-listers" crave that attention.

It we read in the news that Jane Average has died at the age of 27 after a long time of using drugs people would think "oh, another junkie dead, big deal, only got herself to blame, nobody forced her to do drugs in the first place" and I can fully well understand that point of view. But now we have Amy Winehouse dead after a long time of using drugs and people are busy finding reasons why everybody is at fault but herself. Hello logic, the only one to blame is the one who actually put all those drugs into her and I'm willing to bet it wasn't any outsider.

Exactly. I'm fed up of all the band wagoners. As I said to my sister "Will everyone be this upset when the junkie down the street dies? No."

Whose fault is it that being successful has such a negative impact on someone's life? Why should someone have to make the choice between success and safety? This is not like the decision a skydiver makes between excitement and safety. In that case, the act of skydiving is unsafe simply because it is a dangerous activity. No one is to blame for the risk involved. With celebrities, that risk of media attention is the fault of the media. Just because a person decides to take the successful path, doesn't mean they are to blame for the media they got, because the media directly caused that.

If I told a kid he could grow up to have a good job and a family and great medical care and a beautiful house, but I would constantly leave him harassing phone messages every single day, and he decided to do it anyway, and he became depressed as a result, was it wrong of him to take my offer?

You're missing the point. Journalism is a mass industry. A sizeable chunk of that industry is about the lifestyles of the rich and famous. A lot of people make a living reporting on what *insert celebrity name here* did last night, and a lot of people eat it right up. Why am I stating the obvious?

Because people don't seem to realize that Amy would have been aware of that. I guarantee you she was, as this cheap brand of "Journalism" has existed for decades. Amy obviously didn't care about the image she was portraying. If she did, then surely one or two embarrassing newspaper articles would have caused a rethink. It didn't. She knew what she was doing. She killed herself(probably) and she constantly gave ammo to the press.

Edit:

Here is a simple google search. A lot of people have made money off of pictures like that and associated stories. Amy's actual behavior is due to her hectic lifestyle. She knew people would take pictures. She didn't care. She didn't go somewhere quiet, away from the cameras. She just didn't care. She created her image. She wrote songs about it and she profited from it.

So don't blame the media for her own self destructive behaviour.

Just because a person decides to take the successful path, doesn't mean they are to blame for the media they got, because the media directly caused that.

And it was the media, too, that forced her to refuse rehab, right? :odd:
It's one thing to start drugs because of pressure and public exposure, but I think it's a whole different thing to decline any possible help.

What happened to the concept of being responsible for one's actions, I wonder? Not that it's just Amy Winehouse, it's something that seems to be the new big deal... Nobodies at fault for messing their lifes up, it's always someone else's fault.
If Jon Doe is thoroughly broke, it's the bank's fault as well as, say, Amazon's, but not his for taking out his fifth loan and ordering stuff like a mad man.
Same with Amy Winehouse, really. She does drugs and everyone's at fault but herself?!

I can agree with the media not helping the situation, sure. But that's about it.

Just because they said she is clean does not mean she really was. Seems like something similar happened with Brittany Murphy. They said she was clean and then found out later she wasnt? Something like that.

Just because they said she is clean does not mean she really was.

Yea, those coroner reports aren't worth the paper they are written on. It's not like they are used in court proceedings daily around the world.

So what do the "she got what she deserved, the junkie' posters who made false assumptions about her demise have to say now? :dopey:

^ They've moved on...to whining about the fact that Kim Kardashian is no longer single.

Just because they said she is clean does not mean she really was. Seems like something similar happened with Brittany Murphy. They said she was clean and then found out later she wasnt? Something like that.

Yea, those coroner reports aren't worth the paper they are written on. It's not like they are used in court proceedings daily around the world.

So what do the "she got what she deserved, the junkie' posters who made false assumptions about her demise have to say now? :dopey:
And I will say again......"Just because they said she is clean does not mean she really was" I love when people argue with the first released coroner reports. The true reports always come later.

Just released today 10/26/11 "Coroner: Amy Winehouse died from too much alcohol" http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45033481/ns/world_news-europe/?GT1=43001

Toxicology tests show there were no illegal drugs in her system, only alcohol...

And I will say again......"Just because they said she is clean does not mean she really was" I love when people argue with the first released coroner reports. The true reports always come later.

Just released today 10/26/11 "Coroner: Amy Winehouse died from too much alcohol" http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45033481/ns/world_news-europe/?GT1=43001

You might want to take another stab at this.

Adamgp
Well atleast she didn't die of anything serious.

So alcohol poisoning isn't serious? :dunce:
In all honesty I have little to no respect for her. A bad role model and an embarrassment to the UK. I can't really say her music was rubbish since I could never do better but it held nothing really special (to me).
She consumed every thing and did nothing really important in return (her music will be forgotten). In the end she died of the things that she felt had most priority over her wealth in her life. Drugs, alcohol... all the same to me.
She could have changed the lives of many with the success she claimed but decided to be selfish with it. If only her wealth and talent were well spent.

So alcohol poisoning isn't serious? :dunce:

It's a joke me and my dad have when someone dies that we don't care about.

Honestly I dont feel bad for her (or any singer/actor/actress/athlete) who rises to fame and fortune then throws it all away because of their own stupidity.

If she had died of say a plane crash, something not of her own doing, then I'd probably feel sorry for her.

Atleast she won't wake up with a hangover. :)

Adamgp
It's a joke me and my dad have when someone dies that we don't care about.

Honestly I dont feel bad for her (or any singer/actor/actress/athlete) who rises to fame and fortune then throws it all away because of their own stupidity.

If she had died of say a plane crash, something not of her own doing, then I'd probably feel sorry for her.

Atleast she won't wake up with a hangover. :)

Wow....
It can be so much more complicated than just "her "stupidity." She may have been very sick, depressed, or any number of reasons that we will never know.

I feel bad for what was going on in life to live like she did and that for me is a hugely concerning issue.

I found myself watching the film 'Amy' at the weekend, unaware that it won the Oscar for Best Documentary last year. I was never a fan of Amy Winehouse though I was at least aware that she was apparently a very good singer. After watching the film about her I have a much greater appreciation for the level of her talent, and I didn't realise she was a guitarist as well as a singer - in all honesty, I was pretty amazed at just how good she was, and can't disagree with the sentiment that she was in fact the best singer of her generation - sadly an accolade that probably cost her her life.

Perhaps the documentary is not the definitive story, but it certainly seems like she was unable to cope with stardom, but also had some people in her life who either let her down or just plain exploited her. It is a cautionary tale indeed - and one that paints the modern media and the music industry in general in a very poor light. Amy Winehouse may be remembered for her unfortunate demise, but it would be fair to say that she was something of a tortured genius - a virtuoso musician who, tragically, was ill-prepared for the stardom her talent brought her.

Last edited:
Back