An empty space for now

Please, please, please don't stance a driving car! The original camber is there for a reason. If you start doing yes k days with it then toucan change it a little, but never go stance...

I am 99.9993568794% sure that CTznOfTime did not mean:
50927192812_2442bc38d2_o.png
Thanks, you read me correctly.

OP:
These are a few examples I am thinking about

5b1fef8402f50_15287229158764da16.Thanksgivin.jpg

1986_porsche_944_turbo_153057077837daced2a8ba3Screen-Shot-2018-07-02-at-3.32.31-PM.png

53d336e976e455e5f0f1b6f3e5111a54.jpeg

Porsche-944-Turbo.jpg

porsche-944-turbo-rachael-favela.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the fitment of the phone dials from the turbo. I'll be looking for those sometime.

Also, I found the perfect radio for my interior.

719vSsxAqHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Notice there are two types of phone dials wheels...
Both are slightly different.

That Radio head unit is perfect for those car from that era...!

I actually might get one for my car too!

I've pulled the dash, but it's looking pretty grim, to the point where I'm considering letting this car go. I've started posting on forums to see if anyone's interested in the car in its current state.

Do you have another car that you drive daily or is this your only one?
Do you have a multimeter?
Do you have schematics or a wiring diagram?

Do not give up. I know you got this. If you can give me a wiring diagram I can help you out if you want. The damage is honestly not that bad. Just get a few crimp connectors and some 18 guage wiring and it can be fixed, honestly.

Do you have another car that you drive daily or is this your only one?
Do you have a multimeter?
Do you have schematics or a wiring diagram?

Do not give up. I know you got this. If you can give me a wiring diagram I can help you out if you want. The damage is honestly not that bad. Just get a few crimp connectors and some 18 guage wiring and it can be fixed, honestly.
I have pulled off dashboards where there has been yards and yards of extra wire. It's fixable.

It isn't nearly as bad as I made it out, and that's me realizing that after sitting down and taking the wire out. It was a bit shocking for me to deal with this as it's my first time having something like this happen to me - a few friends and even my brother said it's fixable, but with time, of course.

Haha yup, I know how you felt, been there before. Glad you decided to go through and try to fix it man.

Hopefully that harness fixes it, if not I definitely recommend getting some sort of wiring diagram for your car. I know it may look confusing at first but if you study it a bit it can be a life saver.

I do not know much about porsches but you're saying your getting no spark? Do these have a ignition module? If so I would maybe check if that's good. You had no issues until the whole wire harness fire right?

When ever I work on a car that has no spark and no apparent fault I check the camshaft and crankshaft sensors. If they are faulty the ignition is getting a signal not to fire because it's being told that the engine doesn't turn

I did come across something that may mess up my progress. Porsche did a stealth update to their wiring harnesses for the 1983 944s. I have a late 1983 build, but the harnesses from the early 1983 builds use thinner gauge wiring. This means I'm using a lower voltage wire on my car at the moment. (After researching and talking to someone, the harness shouldn't be an issue)

One thing after another.

Anyways, yesterday was a bit more tidying. I did some cleaning and removed the aftermarket stereo connectors.

This was before it was cleaned up.

168443534_2588003778161237_664934898976949382_n.jpg

So, with the radio connectors removed, I'm wondering if I should delete part of the center console.

Downside: I'd be giving up the rear wiper, motor mirrors (I may be able to keep those, but they're pretty garbage) as well as some other small controls. I'll also diminish the 'originality' of the car, but the history of this car makes it not really collector worthy.

(thinking on it, I could install switches to keep the functionality)

Upside: I would have less wiring to worry about, and it would provide a dramatically cleaner look - the plastic center console just looks really tacky, it doesn't have much functionality to it since I don't have a motor sunroof, stock volume control, and other options.

I'm inspired by this build thread I saw months ago. (It's from 2016/2017) -My "new" 944 - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

View attachment 1001902

Compared to what I'll be putting back in mine -

119448099_316075303012874_4107423366353882324_n.jpg

Now, that would mean that the dim for the radio will be deleted, but I want to go with a similar solution to that build thread - the person there just put a simplistic amplifier in the car. I'm looking at a simple Bluetooth amplifier that would serve its purpose well.

61ZaYS8hGhL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

71vnU9Ks57L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So, @Eunos_Cosmo the Continental looks great, matches the "European" look to the car, but this solution just looks so clean. I'm going to sit on the idea for a bit.

That's enough rambling for now. It's time to start doing more wiring research. I hope I can come to a solution and get this car up. It's really eating into my time.

TBH, the Continental is maybe a bit more 90s than 80s, I support simpler!

Huh, well, I'm thinking about sending my car to a restoration shop not too far away. They charge $75/hr for electrical work, and the guy is damned good at his job. He has a master's degree in electrical engineering from Stanford Uni, so he's definitely more qualified than some of the shops I called that charge double his price.

I'm guessing the job will be no more than $1,500. Should take two to three weeks to get it done. In the meantime, I'm going to get the exhaust installed while I wait.

Piece of mind is a good thing IMO. Tracing electrical gremlins can be a thankless and time consuming business, getting someone on the job who really knows what they're doing would be worth it's weight in gold. 👍

I'm guessing the job will be no more than $1,500. Should take two to three weeks to get it done. In the meantime, I'm going to get the exhaust installed while I wait.

Wow, maybe I should start charging people to fix their electrical issues lol.

I am glad he did not respond honestly. I personally feel like that would be a rip off, but I do know what you asked him to do for you.

Do you know how to wire a relay?? You can bypass the oem starter relay by making your own which I guarantee will be more reliable. Use 10 gauge wire & 30amp fuse.

I do not get on here much anymore (will change when gran turismo 7 comes out haha), I can help you with reading the wiring diagram if you would like. I make drawings for my field guys all the time. So I can simplify it for you if you want as well. I will pm you if interested.

Last edited:
I’ll be putting the 944 up for sale and going car-less for a while.

It feels a little bad, but I’d rather get it out of the way while I have time as next year will be busy.

@JrDarknes , thanks for your help and advice.

Whether or not I buy another car is up in the air, but I need to spend time working on other things.

Last edited:
Back