Analysing Setups

riptrewerrath
Wanted to say hello to all and tell you how much i enjoy the forums. I am a 47 year old veteran of GT1-5,GTR(2),Forza1-3,i-racing, LFS and many more racing sim-type games. I hope i am not stepping on the rules or a previous posting but i noticed alot of confusion concerning setups and where to begin doing setups...so i thought i would share my collection of tips.Hope it helps newcomers to the fun of suspension tuning!

Setup Reference Guide

A)Understeer correction
Understeer INTO Corner...*soften front comp. dampers
*soften rear rebound dampers
*softer front anti-roll bar
*harder rear anti-roll bar

Understeer MID Corner....*softer front anti-roll bar
*increase front downforce
*decrease rear downforce
*increase camber

Understeer OUT of Corner.*harder front rebound dampers
*harder rear comp. dampers
*softer front anti-roll bar

B)Oversteer correction
Oversteer INTO Corner....*harder front comp. dampers
*harder rear rebound dampers
*harder front anti-roll bar
*softer rear anti-roll bar

Oversteer MID Corner.....*harder front anti-roll bar
*decrease front downforce
*increase rear downforce

Oversteer OUT of Corner..*softer front rebound dampers
*softer rear comp. dampers
*harder front anti-roll bar
*raise rear ride height
*soften rear suspension stiffness

C)Basic suspension principles
If you increase overall stiffness...vehicle will become responsive
grip reduced over bumps and rough surfaces
resistence to body roll increased

If you increase front stiffness.....Induces understeer
Reduces oversteer
Front resistence to body roll increases

If you increase rear stiffness......Induces oversteer
Reduces understeer
Rear resistence to body roll increases

If you increase front anti-roll.....Induces understeer
Reduces oversteer
Reduces camber change in corners

If you increase rear anti-roll......Induces oversteer
Reduces understeer
Reduces camber change in corners

If you increase rebound only........tires may leave surface on bumps and rough surfaces

If you increase bump only...........body roll is resisted
vehicle may become less stable

D)Analysing Setups
1.Gearing & Tire selection
2.Brakes
3.Ride height & Springs
4.Anti-Roll bars
5.Camber & Toe settings
6.Dampers
7.Aerodynamics

This is by no means the only way of analysing setups...i personally find it easier to start with gears and tires and work from there. I also try to avoid radical camber,toe,and dampers settings unless the car warrants it...let the springs and anti-roll bars do their work and make smaller adjustments to the rest.
Again...great forums...great community...awesome tuners...hope i have done my part to add something useful!

Outstanding post !!!!!

I really like the way you broken tuning into entry-mid-exit of the corner. I think will be of great assist when working on a tune step by step, trying to come with a good end set-up.

Thanks

Very good guide for when your looking to weed-out that last bit of under/oversteer, helped me neutralize my GTR :D

I'd recommend looking to include this in a tuning guide or sticky-thread, It could be really helpful to those new to tuning

Thanks for writing it down short and very clear. Im racing seriously for almost three years now but never really understood the tuning part of it. Over those three years i picked some things. But this is what i was really looking for.

Thanks alot 👍

Thank you mate.

I would love to hear more from you.

Add me to your list so we can race together.

regards

PSN : vinze1129

Thx, great post, could you please also explain how the LSD works ? That would be great :-)

There's a great explanation of LSD in the tuning guide posted at the top of the threads in this forum. It basically limits the amount that the individual wheels can spin during different parts of accelerating and cornering. It can generate a lot of differences in understeer/oversteer in several situations based on how much it is coming into play while you are racing. Again, I suggest downloading the tuning guide PDF and reading pt. 2.

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely bookmark this and reference it later.
Send me a friends request if you need help finding any cars. I have several. :)

hello Trewer_Rath. why don't you make a small team for tuning. it will be fun, we will benefit from your experience and improve the game.

PM me if interested.

Useful when I work out what under steer and over steer means. It"s all good I know how to change the oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
good post, didnt talk about toe though. my understanding of toe in gt is neg toe is toe out and pos toe is toe in.

toe out in the front will give more over steer, especially at the limit of grip and more toe in, in the rear will give more understeer espcially under acceleration.

most cars seam to like a little toe out in the front and a little toe in in the rear as a base. Then add more to the front or rear to tweek the last bit of under/over steer out of the set up.

Very helpful advice indeed, especially to those of us that are less than novice tuners. I tend to apply others' tunes without a great deal of thought on what I'm doing.

I have a question concerning fixing understeer in 4WD drivetrain cars. Is the OP's advice just as valid for 4WD? I have recently applied some others' setups to my ZZII and my Impreza WRX RM and they don't turn as well as they did before I applied these set-ups. How best to start tweaking them?

Thanks for all of the positive feedback!

On the 4WD vehicles...try adjusting the Torgue Sensing Center Differential to a setting that has more torque going to the rear wheels to help induce oversteer.As for your cars not feeling right after applying a tune...go back to your default setting and begin again but in smaller adjustments and see if you find a set more to your taste.

At this moment i am still debating the idea of a tuning team. There are several good tuners here already and my time is limited right now because of pc gaming leagues and a gaming clan i belong to.Give me 2-3 weeks and we will see... My clan now has 6 converts to GT5 and i am still working on more!(its very hard to convince die-hard pc gamers to give console racers a go!!!)

Awesome information for us novice tuners.
I do have a question about settings. You do mention for example:"Oversteer INTO Corner....*harder front comp. dampers".

When adjusting the settings what increments would you recommend? For instance will one or two ticks for Front Dampers be noticeable when oversteering into a corner, how many ticks/steps would you recommend starting off with?

if its bad try 2 or 3 clicks if you just want a little tweek then one click will do you should notice some change.

Trewer_Rath: Thanks for this great guide! It really works, so I have found it invaluable in taming oversteering beasts.

I love it so much that I have adapted the content into a website. I have given you full attribution.

http://gt.pist0s.ca/

Back