And away I go (Well, in 3 hours or so) - Azure flys to Florida

  • Thread starter Thread starter Azuremen
  • 34 comments
  • 2,247 views

Azuremen

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Premium
Messages
17,871
United States
509
Be there for about a week. Visiting some family but that is only a day or so of it. Suggestions on what to do, and such welcome. I can't rent a car myself not being 25 yet, else I'd probably get something worth mobbing around in.
 
My Grandparents are actually down there right now, they own some property that they spend half a year in there. Truthfully, from what I know about the area (I used to stay in PCB and Pensacola), most of it is easily accessible by bike or motor-scooter... Both of which can be rented, easily, for a good rate.

I haven't been down there since probably 2000/2001 (Miami became my FLA destination of choice), but there is cool stuff to do. Hang out around the Air Force bases, you see a lot of cool fly-byes throughout the day (seems like they were always F-16s when I was there). I don't know if you're into golf, but there are a lot of good courses around there too that I'd love to take a swing at. There used to be a HUGE Alvin's Island store down there that is pretty cool to go into and look around, but its mostly a tourist trap I suppose.

Its been such a long time since I've been down there, I'm not totally sure whats going on anymore.
 
It's a little out of season, but still quite busy. Most of the "Florida" stuff is probably not open, yet. If you've got the bucks for it, a day trip of fishing in the Gulf would be worthwhile. Destin (just to the east on US98) is the charter-fishing captial of the Universe.

Eglin AFB has a nice museum, there're many aircraft on display outside, and much more to see inside. You'll probably pass it on the way into Ft. Walton from the airport, look for an SR-71 and a B-52 on your left as you ride into town. From Ft. Walton, go up state road 85 north through Shalimar, there'll be signs.

If you haven't been to gulf coast beaches you'll be amazed at how clear the water is (yet quite cold this time of year) and how bright white the sand is.

For mobility there will be scooters and stuff, but they probably have restrictions on where you can ride. For a little more $$$ you can probably find real motorcycles, but there may be that 25 thing again for those. Also, for real motorcycles you have to have an endorsement on your driver license, even if from out of state.

Ft. Walton's not really a "touristy" place in the same vein as Destin or Panama City Beach, so as for stuff to do, it's not much different than any other town in the country, until you get across the bridge onto Okaloosa Island, and that's mostly hotels and condos. There's a marine animal park there called Gulfarium that's probably worth a visit. It's no Sea World, or even on par with Gulf World in Panama City, but it's a good place to spend a 3 or 4 hours.

Going east towards Destin you travel through Gulf Islands National Seashore which is an area of pristine undeveloped shoreline, shaped only by a few recent hurricanes and the occasional Air Force facility. (The hurricane damage is in the form of flattened dunes with bare, grass-less areas, dead trees, etc.)

Panama City (my own humble abode) is about an hour east, Pensacola is about an hour west. (By car, not by bicycle!) Panama City will be starting into full Spring Break mode by then, when the high school and college kids invade from all over, and the Canadian winter guests take flight (in their fleets of Buicks and Grand Marquis's) and migrate back home.

If you are into military museums, the Pensacola Naval Air Station has the best air museum in the southeast, one of the best in the country. Navy-oriented, they have restored aircraft from the earliest 1900s to F-14s and F/A-18s, including WWI and WWII aircraft from both sides, early jets, and current aircraft. They also have a dirigible display, a section made up like carrier interior spaces, and a WWII jungle base. There's a simulator at the back of the main floor where you can go in and fly air combat against other patrons, then attempt carrier landings. This is no "ride," it's real F-14 simulators used in pilto training. (Costs $25, includes a training session and 20 minutes of stick time.) Their restaurant (sandwiches, burgers) is made of memorabilia taken from the Cubi Point O-club when the U.S. left the Phillipines. Also an IMAX theater, and be sure to take in the outdoor tour. That museum is a day trip easily. And free (except for the theater and the simulators.)
 
If you haven't been to gulf coast beaches you'll be amazed at how clear the water is (yet quite cold this time of year) and how bright white the sand is.

Pfft. 63F is where the lake stays for a good part of the year up here, we folks from up north are the crazy people who go swimming in it.
 
Well, you changed your destination from the original thread title. Miramar is way east of where you started this, and that's a cool place. Downside is that any destination is now way to the west or way to the east. Nothing along that beach but restaurants, condos, and the occasional club.

Same airport you said before, but you'll probably get to Miramar by heading east through Niceville and taking the Midbay bridge across the bay. ($2.50 toll)

Everything you want to look for is west of there, unless you wanna go east all the way to Panama City Beach.

Something that's just a definite "Well, ain't that somethin'!" note. You've seen the pictures of temperature testing of Air Force fighters, where they freeze them down to sub-Arctic temps or roast them to high desert heat? Look across the bay from the shoreline along the National Seashore, or the bridge into Destin, and you'll a couple of giant hangars. The easternmost one (I think) is the McKinley Climatic Laboratory. That's the place. Capable of subjecting its interior to -70F to 180F!
 
Pfft. 63F is where the lake stays for a good part of the year up here, we folks from up north are the crazy people who go swimming in it.

I used to surf in 40-50 degree water... that's usually what it is year round here.

Personally, it's been awhile since I've been to Florida. Personally if I was anywhere in Florida I would go and try and see some Spring Training baseball games in Orlando.
 
The Pacific is pretty cold up in Seattle yet you see people swimming in that ever now and then.

I can't rent a car myself not being 25 yet, else I'd probably get something worth mobbing around in.

Really? I had driven all sorts of rental and loaner cars before turning 20. Hell, one of the branches of one of the big nation wide ones let me take their car on a three day road trip to New York while being 19 for only like $4 extra per day or something like that.
 
Well, you changed your destination from the original thread title. Miramar is way east of where you started this, and that's a cool place.

Miramar Beach, not Miramar. Miramar is down south by me.
 
I know where he meant, sorry. Even said same airport and Midbay bridge to get there. But it's well east of Fort Walton, which is where the thread was originally titled.

I used to surf in 40-50 degree water... that's usually what it is year round here.

Personally if I was anywhere in Florida I would go and try and see some Spring Training baseball games in Orlando.

In a wet suit, sure. Guys sailboard and kitesurf here year-round, but not without a wetsuit.

As for Orlando, it's ONLY 5-1/2 hours away. Florida's bigger than you think. As a matter of fact, if you take a Florida map and lay it on a Texas map at the same scale, you can't fit it all inside Texas. Pensacola is closer to Dallas than Miami.
 
As a matter of fact, if you take a Florida map and lay it on a Texas map at the same scale, you can't fit it all inside Texas.
As I was curious about this, I gave it a shot.

florixas.png


It's close, so I think we have a hung jury on this one. I started with this image, by the way.

Pensacola is closer to Dallas than Miami.
Pensacola to Miami - 670 miles - 10 hours 1 minute

Pensacola to Dallas - 697 miles - 10 hours 25 minutes

Again, close enough that a single mishap could swing the results. Technically, still incorrect, though. :)
 
I know where he meant, sorry. Even said same airport and Midbay bridge to get there. But it's well east of Fort Walton, which is where the thread was originally titled.



In a wet suit, sure. Guys sailboard and kitesurf here year-round, but not without a wetsuit.

As for Orlando, it's ONLY 5-1/2 hours away. Florida's bigger than you think. As a matter of fact, if you take a Florida map and lay it on a Texas map at the same scale, you can't fit it all inside Texas. Pensacola is closer to Dallas than Miami.


I know FL is bigger then I think ^_^ I've been to FL 6 times. Had family in Venace, but they moved back to the Chicago area. The spring training games are actually in Jupiter, FL which I think is near Orlando. Oh well.. to me the short 5 1/2 hours is worth it.

EDIT: If you could flip Florida you can fit it in pretty easy! :D
 
I know where he meant, sorry. Even said same airport and Midbay bridge to get there. But it's well east of Fort Walton, which is where the thread was originally titled.

Yeah, I just knew I was flying into VPS. Didn't have the final destination yet, and now I do.

On the renting car thing, I apparently can, but everything sucks. Unless I want to drop a couple hundred a day for something like an LS460. Otherwise, most standard outfits, have at best, a Maxima or V6 Mustang convertible. And I'll kill myself before driving an auto V6 Stang convert.

How desperate is Saturn right now? Might try to take a Sky Redline for an extended drive on the premise that I am moving to Florida and looking to buy a car :p
 
Delorme Street Atlas gives me 670 P'cola to Dallas, 674 P'cola to Miami. Not much, but it is closer. :dopey: :sly:

And be sure and include the Keys on your map effort. Those people are Floridians, too!

[Childishness] I still win! [/Childishness]

BTW, weird news from Miramar Beach last night: clickification

Nothing to do with the trip, and certainly not what you'd call a regular occurrence, just thought it odd to see at the same time as this thread came up.


Edit: Using Google Earth's ruler the straight-line distance is much shorter for Pensacola to Miami, but you can't drive that way.
 
Last edited:
Well, my flight leaves in 4 hours now. So that will be fun with the lay overs and such (not)

Also might end up trying to test drive some fancy pants cars why I am down there. Something to do I guess.

Also wondering how much crap the TSA will give me for packing a tripod into my carry on. Doesn't have sharp feet or anything, just rubber ones, but those guys are kind of random about that stuff.
 
Really? I had driven all sorts of rental and loaner cars before turning 20. Hell, one of the branches of one of the big nation wide ones let me take their car on a three day road trip to New York while being 19 for only like $4 extra per day or something like that.

Was gonna say something along those lines. I rented a car when I was over in the States when I was 22, and I'm not a US citizen, whom I'd presume it'd be easier for.
 
One word: Disneyworld.
 
Have fun mate. In 3 hours im off to Adelaide. Nice comfortable plane trip, all the relatives down there (well almost all).

Hope you get there safely.
 
TB
As I was curious about this, I gave it a shot.

florixas.png


It's close, so I think we have a hung jury on this one. I started with this image, by the way.


Pensacola to Miami - 670 miles - 10 hours 1 minute

Pensacola to Dallas - 697 miles - 10 hours 25 minutes

Again, close enough that a single mishap could swing the results. Technically, still incorrect, though. :)
We do it big. :D

Azure, I have no idea what you'd be interested in seeing. When I went, I stayed primarily in Miami as that's all I wanted to see, and then Disney in Orlando (BTW, Animal Kingdom is pretty schweet, regardless of anyone's age :D).
 
No, Animal Kingdom is the worst.
 
No, Animal Kingdom is the worst.
Really? I loved it when I went. Wasn't terribly fascinated by anything else by Disney, though. Universal was badass as well.
 
Well, have fun and enjoy the halfway decent weather. I'm somewhat aware of the kinds of cars you want to drive... So, good luck finding what you want (just do it for the lulz). At least the weather should be warm, eh?

=-=-=-=

RE: Disney World

Epcott isn't exactly a barrel of fun either, although since they changed a lot of the rides around, I think I'd enjoy it a lot more than I did before. The Space ride looks sweet, they've got the hang glider thing now, and of course, you have to do Test Track.

Hmmm. I've been invited to join my Dad and his kids this summer at Disney World, now I really want to go.
 
Reventón;3334466
Really? I loved it when I went. Wasn't terribly fascinated by anything else by Disney, though. Universal was badass as well.

I hated it when I went, but that was when they were doing construction on Everest. Perhaps it's better now that that ride is up and running. When I was there, it was sweltering hot, and the only ride worth going on was the safari thing. Sadly, everyone else had the same idea so the wait was something like 3 hours, and 5 hours for fast-pass. If you want to go for the zoo, go to Busch Gardens.

You can't go wrong with the magic kingdom and epcot, and then MGM during Star Wars Weekends. Actually, Disney World might seem kind of lame if you didn't go as a kid, but I enjoy it because of the powerful nostalgia I have with each park.

Universal/Islands of Adventure ftw though.
 
RE: Disney World

Epcott isn't exactly a barrel of fun either, although since they changed a lot of the rides around, I think I'd enjoy it a lot more than I did before. The Space ride looks sweet, they've got the hang glider thing now, and of course, you have to do Test Track.

Hmmm. I've been invited to join my Dad and his kids this summer at Disney World, now I really want to go.
Epcot? That's a snooze fest except for Test Track and some Aquarium thing they did.
I hated it when I went, but that was when they were doing construction on Everest. Perhaps it's better now that that ride is up and running. When I was there, it was sweltering hot, and the only ride worth going on was the safari thing. Sadly, everyone else had the same idea so the wait was something like 3 hours, and 5 hours for fast-pass. If you want to go for the zoo, go to Busch Gardens.

You can't go wrong with the magic kingdom and epcot, and then MGM during Star Wars Weekends. Actually, Disney World might seem kind of lame if you didn't go as a kid, but I enjoy it because of the powerful nostalgia I have with each park.

Universal/Islands of Adventure ftw though.
The Safari, lol. I remember that. The tree they have was cool, though, imo, even if that isn't a ride.

I didn't know there was a Busch Gardens there when I went a 2nd time, so I was pretty bummed when I found out about it. Magic Kingdom & Epcot just didn't do anything for me. I went as a kid well back in '98, and neither were anywhere as fun as Animal Kingdom then either. I briefly remember MGM.

And yes, Universal FTW. Sad thing is, when I went in '98, I.O.A. wasn't open (they had "demos" of all the attractions though) and when I went again, I didn't visit the park. I've been dying to ride Jurassic Park's ride ever since.
 
Yeah, if you're into rides, IOA is hands down the best place to go.
 
And here I am. Take note I am pretty much not near anything of those sorts being in the pan handle of fail.

Still, at least I'm not freezing to death or something.
 
You're in the pan handle? You can visit Jacksonville, the biggest friggen' city in the US. (This is not a joke, it's a fact.)

So you're just taking a tour through the whole state or what?
 
enjoy the not free bag of peanuts
 
You're in the pan handle? You can visit Jacksonville, the biggest friggen' city in the US. (This is not a joke, it's a fact.)

So you're just taking a tour through the whole state or what?

Naw, just chilling in the Miramar Beach area.
 
He can visit Jacksonville if he wants to drive 5 hours. He's 7 from Disney/Universal, 7 or 8 from Busch Gardens.

His best shot at entertainment is east to Panama City or west to Destin and Ft. Walton. Spring Break is in full swing if he wants to just ogle girls on the beach!

Remember, he's on foot, or in whatever he can rent (beach scooter, probably.)
 
Looks like I'll be heading over to Panama City for Wednesday/Thursday.
 
Back