Android L.......ollipop

sems4arsenal

Nissan Sunny FTW
Premium
Egypt
Cairo, Egypt
GTP_SEMS
Yep

http://lifehacker.com/updating-all-the-new-stuff-in-androids-l-release-prev-1595928268

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/15/google-android-lollipop/

Google has just revealed that the next major version of Android, 5.0, will be known as Lollipop. After months of teasing the OS, the search giant is finally taking what was previously known as Android "L" into the mainstream, with the first set of the devices expected to arrive early next month. Speaking of which, Android Lollipop will make its debut on the new Nexus 6, a big-screen smartphone from Motorola; the Nexus 9, an 8.9-inch tablet made by HTC; and the Nexus Player, a $99 media-streaming box with Android TV, the first one with Google's novel home entertainment platform. What's more, the company confirmed that Lollipop is coming to the Nexus 5, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10, as well as Google Play edition devices, in the coming weeks.

To make things better, Android 5.0 is also headed to a number of Motorola smartphones, such as both generations of the Moto X and Moto G (including the LTE model), Moto E, Droid Maxx, Droid Mini and Droid Ultra. Motorola didn't say when exactly the upgrade would be available for those devices, but at least it has confirmed its plans to do so. Now that Google's let the Lollipop out of the bag, we're sure more manufacturers are due to start coming forward with their own announcement.

The Android 5.0 SDK is going to be available on Friday, October 17th, which means everything is slowly, and sweetly falling into place ahead of next month

Been following Lollipop for months... was very excited until I learned my phone is now so old it won't support it, even with my Cyanogen MOD custom ROM. :(

Lollipop is the only reason I'll buy a new phone this Christmas which will probably be a Nexus 5. Hardware not being the latest I can live with -- OS on the other hand, I can not. I specially like the new notifications, it baffles the mind why it took them so long to make them available on the lock screen. Time will tell if they're good enough that they can replace Dashclock.

You better make sure your phones have a ton of storage space since everything on lollipop is going to be pre-compiled.

I just find it difficult to imagine that any company could call a release "Lol, I pop". Then I remember that this is Google, the artily-disconnected U2 of the IT world. But without iTunes.

Looking forward to seeing how this runs on Razr Maxx, not planning to get rid of it yet (great phone)... but might have to.

Been following Lollipop for months... was very excited until I learned my phone is now so old it won't support it, even with my Cyanogen MOD custom ROM. :(

Lollipop is the only reason I'll buy a new phone this Christmas which will probably be a Nexus 5. Hardware not being the latest I can live with -- OS on the other hand, I can not. I specially like the new notifications, it baffles the mind why it took them so long to make them available on the lock screen. Time will tell if they're good enough that they can replace Dashclock.

Yeah, my decision for a new phone will take into account future support of Android L.

I'm probably not going to get a 16 GB version of any phone now, don't think it will be enough to last a few years.

This is by far the biggest changes so far on Android since the ICS. I knew that many people may not be liking the design but I honestly much prefer it over the Halo design... What's important is how light the whole OS has become and from what I've been told, better power management and RAM management than ever.. I guess it's a massive and welcoming improvements though I'm pretty sure none of my phones will get it. Haha!

Probably the biggest thing that caught my eyes is the "No unauthorised restore/format" of the phone. Neat thing to have since all these while, if your Android device is stolen they can make a full restore through the system recovery thing and use or sell it for their own good. At least it will be rendered useless if stolen but again, since it's Android I think people will still find its way around this...

Not many desserts that start with L.
I would have liked Lamington

Who doesn't like a spongecake dipped in chocolate than that has coconut sprinkled over it?

I was thinking "Licorice" too as the "L" name for Android. Much like I thought the "K" one would be "Key Lime Pie," but of course, we got "Kit Kat," which I thought was almost copyright infringement. Everything is still consistent with sweets and sweet food items. When the "M" version comes along, I'm thinking "Marshmallow" unless some other sweet food starting with "M" comes along.

Not many desserts that start with L.
I would have liked Lamington

Who doesn't like a spongecake dipped in chocolate than that has coconut sprinkled over it?
The name needs to be recognised globally though. I don't think a country like China would have caught on with that name.

When the "M" version comes along, I'm thinking "Marshmallow" unless some other sweet food starting with "M" comes along.
This would be the obvious choice, although fanboys of rival operating systems would take a jab at Android, saying they've gone 'soft'.

I got it rooted.

Your phone will need to have the bootloader unlocked.

This can be done with the adb toolkit and the "fastboot oem unlock" command
DOING THIS WILL WIPE ALL DATA OFF THE PHONE.

I had my 4.4.4 rooted and unlocked so first thing i did was Install Lolpop and then locked the bootloader.
After the phone did its first initial boot I shut it down and went into the fastboot screen
I ran the "fastboot oem unlock" command then I ran the batchfile in this download
http://download.chainfire.eu/363/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-hammerhead-hammerhead-nexus5.zip
which I got from this site
http://www.theandroidsoul.com/andro...s-5-nexus-10-nexus-7-2013-released-chainfire/
If you have followed the guide on the site above you should get a red android show up and you should have root access.

Screenshot_2014-11-14-00-11-43.png

What are your first impressions gents? are you noticing some battery and performance improvments?

What are your first impressions gents? are you noticing some battery and performance improvments?

So far so good performance wise, though to be honest after uninstalling most of the google apps I'll never use there's not much there to slow it down.
Battery wise I'll need a few days at work to make a reasonable judgement on that though it looks promising. I do quite like the look and feel of it though.
Next step install Nova Launcher to add some tweaks that I prefer.

@Grayfox I got it rooted no problems with the cf-auto root. 👍

I dont like how the you get that little blue icon on the lock screen that is to show which user is currently using the phone.
I dont like how the dialer is on the lock screen, I swipe fro left to right and this opens the dialer which annoys me.

I actually like being able to swipe straight into the dialer from the lock screen, perhaps that I've always had the swipe up set to unlock my phone previously the transition was easier.

Just updated my 2013 Nexus 7 to Lollipop. First impressions are quite mixed.

Positives:
- Good Battery Life
- Pretty Animations
- Love the new notification bar
- Keyboard changer is more readily accessible

Concerns:
- What drugs were they on when they decided the keyboard?
- Tablet seems to lag slightly in areas
- Not a huge fan of the UI coloring. Looks too much like a toy. (iOS went the same direction),
- Why did they get rid of the Gallery App in favour of the Photo App? The Photo App is just utterly useless.
- The new security settings are more of a hassle than they are helpful

I'm sure I'll find more things as time goes on. My first impression though, not a fan. The positives are things that I can live without with. The negatives are massive issues though, a serious, "What drugs were they on when they thought this was a good idea."

So far the negatives outweigh the positives for me.

+ New animations are nice
+ Battery life has improved

- My stock keyboard has slowed right down
- The orange notification and soft button bars in power saver mode are awful
- The new 'toned down' haptic feedback is barely worth having
- Silent mode is gone and the new system is just a mess (I've managed to work around it but I shouldn't have to)

- Silent mode is gone and the new system is just a mess (I've managed to work around it but I shouldn't have to)

What phone are you running Mog?

Is it Pure Android or a redesigned one.

It's not pure Android, it's an LG G3 so it's running whatever LG has put on there. I can only see that causing issues with the haptic feedback and keyboard though, the orange bars and silent mode are a Lollipop feature.

EDIT: It's not just me -
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2maq9g/android_l_no_longer_has_a_silent_notification/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...rns-the-status-bar-and-nav-bar-bright-orange/

Why not add a simple 'disable orange' feature? I know when I've got my power saver on because 1) the phone's screen is dimmer and 2) I'm not an idiot and can see the icon at the top telling me it's on

Last edited:
Looks like Priority is what I use (I like a small vibration in silent mode with the LED blink), still a stupid decision though.

Just want Sony to hurry up already, hopefully middle February we'll get it.

Back