Andy Tudor: Gran Turismo and Forza Are Playing Catch Up With Project CARS 2

Petal? You're a representative of this site, dude. Act a little more mature when faced with fair rebuttal, please. Whatever tone you read my post in, I recommend changing it to a more balanced one.

You know you've made it when you've been blocked by a writer from a site you're on.
The tone is as balanced as conveyed through your text.

There is no scrutiny within the headline of an article because as stated...it's an introductory to what the article contains. All of Tudor's points are elaborated on and even includes a direct quotation from the video. I really don't get what you're saying here. Surely someone would get from reading, the areas which Tudor feels the others are playing catch-up from. It was never my intention to mislead as I've already apologised for to those who felt that was the MO with the title. Im not too hot in accusation that I scrutinized anything unjust in the article body itself.

Quite literally, the piece works through the points. There's no doubt that Project CARS 2 has a fantastic feature set - it's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to playing it. The thing is, if it doesn't play well enough, all those features 'for the racers' don't really mean much. That's what I was saying with my post you originally quoted.

Aw petal, did you read the article or just the headline? Scrutinize is used so incorrectly here it's ridiculous. A headline isn't scrutiny, it literally acts as an introduction to what the article focuses on.

Your opinion in the rest of this post is fair enough but please don't act like your opinion is absolute. It's frankly embarrassing how you act like any racing game fan couldn't enjoy another series more than Project CARS. There are plenty. This is a competitive genre.

With such a one way street attitude on the subject of racing games, you've just earned yourself a fast-track ticket to my block list. Enjoy.
Again, as with Mikey (who read the article as well don't forget), the headline implies that Project CARS 2 is ahead in all areas where it's not. Whether by design, budget or whatever else, they're not ahead in all areas and everyone understands that. The point him and others have made is that "they’re actually playing catch up with us in many respects" is a crucial aspect to not omit from the headline as you've done. In my own opinion, (and I stress that) it seems you are belittling his opinion more than he is yours.

His other points related to how a smaller thing could have been blown up further like the ability to create and customise a full race weekend with Practice, Qualifying and a Race. That was another aspect that both GT and Forza haven't reached PC1 levels yet.

Your point in the article belittling Project CARS' VR aspect because it isn't supported on console. Maybe SMS wanted to implement it so it's just another peripheral like a wheel and adds to the full racing experience instead of creating a game mode which is what GT has. From what I've read regarding GT Sport's VR mode, that's not proper VR.

In your point regarding the "one-way street," you should really read the final paragraph where he specifically states it's down to whether you want a Car game or a Racing game.

If anyone should block anyone here, it's us with you because of the condescending (Yes, I do say the first line is condescending.) nature of your opening line. Not because we have a different opinion. If you want to be petty and block me, so be it. You won't be the first anywhere and definitely won't be the last.

Anyway, I've got dinner. If I'm blocked when I get back by you or not, I won't care so don't bother making a big deal out of it.

Anyway, I've got dinner. If I'm blocked when I get back by you or not, I won't care so don't bother making a big deal out of it.

I think I can literally taste the passive aggressiveness in the air.

I don't think anyone is blocking anyone.

The article is pretty objective and the title isn't that misleading; especially to those willing to actually read beyond the headline.

I would expect them to be just as critical if PD, Turn 10 or any other studio made similar claims while with-holding crucial details.

I love upgrading cars but I have to admit that the thing I enjoy most in Forza Motorsport is lapping stock vehicles around random tracks.

I feel that in Forza when a car is stock it has the most character and feels unique but when you start doing the same upgrades to every car they start to lose that unique feeling.(I'm not saying they still don't drive differently but they do drive more similar.)
That's why I like pCARS so much. It gives me lots of different classes of vehicles across different time periods, all stock, so I can experience them as intended. You're absolutely right that modifying all the cars in Forza makes them feel the same, which is why I don't care about it at all.

The tone is as balanced as conveyed through your text.

There is no scrutiny within the headline of an article because as stated...it's an introductory to what the article contains. All of Tudor's points are elaborated on and even includes a direct quotation from the video. I really don't get what you're saying here. Surely someone would get from reading, the areas which Tudor feels the others are playing catch-up from. It was never my intention to mislead as I've already apologised for to those who felt that was the MO with the title. Im not too hot in accusation that I scrutinized anything unjust in the article body itself.

Quite literally, the piece works through the points. There's no doubt that Project CARS 2 has a fantastic feature set - it's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to playing it. The thing is, if it doesn't play well enough, all those features 'for the racers' don't really mean much. That's what I was saying with my post you originally quoted.
I wasn't critiquing the headline, to be honest.

My issue was taking the quote below, given during what was effectively an elevator speech, and critiquing it for nuance (referencing Test Drive Le Mans) without surrounding it with the proper context of all of E3 2017.
“No, not really, which sounds kind of bold and a bit arrogant. We’ve always been nipping at the heels of like the big brands that are out there. But this time around it’s a bit of a different situation, they’re actually playing catch up with us in many respects.”
When I quoted you saying "highly dangerous" and asked "should we be terrified?" I did just that and disregarded the context of your thought. I did so with intent to show, basically, why that's not really a good idea. This probably wasn't a good tact on my part as it started the post on the wrong tenor.

But through the remainder of the post I proceeded to fill in some context of E3 2017 as a means of expounding on your article.

As for the game, ultimately, I think the feature set has great appeal to those who have wanted almost strictly a "racing game". They're willing to sacrifice a lot of other things to get it, and as we have seen in the first title, even if that sacrifice means imperfect or poor implementation of some of those great features.

There are many people who freely admit to saying "it is ok that this feature sucks because the whole of the game is still better than anything else".

Last edited:
I wasn't critiquing the headline, to be honest. That was not my intention.

My only issue was taking the quote below, given during what was effectively an elevator speech, and critiquing it for nuance (referencing Test Drive Le Mans) without surrounding it with the proper context of all of E3 2017.

When I quoted you saying "highly dangerous" and asked "should we be terrified?" I did just that and disregarded the context of your thought. I did so with intent to show, basically, why that's not really a good idea. This probably wasn't a good tact on my part as it started the post on the wrong tenor.

But through the remainder of the post I proceeded to fill in some context of E3 2017 and kind of expounded on your article.

As for the game, ultimately, I think the feature set has great appeal to those who have wanted almost strictly a "racing game". They're willing to sacrifice a lot of other things to get it, and as we have seen in the first title, even if that sacrifice means imperfect or poor implementation of some of those great features.
Apologies. I thought you were slamming my use of 'highly dangerous' and didn't see the (now admittedly smart) use of an example to push your point across.

I thought you were referring to the headline because that was something I discussed with @UKMikey before. Bad assumption on my part.

And that basically renders the rest of my points redundant! :lol: I'll take your comments onboard regarding the actual article body.

I have to say I believe PCars 2 will be ahead of the competition,

Why is that? What makes pCars 2 'ahead' of the competition and who exactly is the competition? I remember when the first pCars came out and how people crowned it a "GT/Forza Killer," and yet neither of those games saw any noticeable drop in sales or user base. I know that's not what you're saying, but I'm curious to know why you think pCars is "ahead of the competition," when almost all the features they have are just an evolution of racing sims that came out over 10 years ago.

Gran Turismo ONLY looks best

Gran Turismo only looks best? Are you saying that's the only advantage Gran Turismo has over pCars? Cause I beg to differ.
People play these games for different reasons. You're essentially saying steak tastes better than chicken, but that's just a matter of opinion. I love how Gran Turismo has detailed write-ups of cars that you can get lost in. I love how Gran Turismo has these weird one-offs and cars that most people have never heard of. I love how Gran Turismo eases players in and embraces the fact that not every player is Ayrton Senna. I love how Gran Turismo acknowledges that people love photomode and gives us proper photography tools. I love how Gran Turismo is integrated with Motorsport and how it allows gamers the opportunity to fulfill their dreams as factory drivers. I love how Gran Turismo partners with car manufacturers to design cars. I love how Gran Turismo (Sport) encourages competition between nations and manufacturers.

But most importantly - I love how Gran Turismo, despite being around for so many years, has never lost its identity. Gran Turismo is still today the game it was when I first picked up that PS1 controller, long before I ever even dreamed of trading paint with some of the best drivers the sport has to offer. Before I ever felt the anxiousness of having to tackle the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca in my 1st Gen Mazda Miata, I was rushing past the competition on Grand Valley. Unlike many racing games today, GT has a legacy that it holds true and that is very dear to people like myself who pursued a career in Motorsport as it continued to fuel our passion.

I'm not trying to stomp on pCars - because they still have a long ways to go and I love what SMS is doing - but the title still doesn't have an identity. I know there's all this talk about "They use X and X drivers to consult on the game, etc.", but let's not forget that SMS did the same thing with NFS Shift and that game drives like a sack of potatoes. I know pCars is on a different level, but I (personally) think the driving is terrible. I've never felt as lost behind the wheel in a game as I have when playing pCars. I remember the first time I played the final release of pCars and the first thing that came to my mind was "Wow, feels just like NFS Shift 2." No dynamic weather/time or career mode is going to solve a driving game where the actual driving is as finessed as a bowl of oatmeal - but to each their own.

Forza ONLY has the best car list and livery creator.

Of course, let's just completely forget about its detailed upgrading system, the many online game modes, the fantastic lighting system (developed on par with Pixar), the community integration with car clubs and the auction house and sharing tunes and designs and most importantly the accessibility. Forza's ethos is and always will be to turn gamers into car lovers and car lovers into gamers. This is something GT does very well, too, but Forza has really learned to excel at this. From the detailed Forzavista mode where you can inspect cars in remarkable detail to (and most importantly) the awesome list of assists available to people. Car games, especially when you slap on "Simulator" into its persona, are intimidating to most people. Forza has a very detailed game engine, more so than people often give it credit for, and it does all of it while still allowing 7-year old Johnny to fool around in a Z06 Corvette. That kid could one day grow up to be the biggest petrol-head on his block and perhaps even own that car some day. I've been part of the development of Forza games ever since Forza 4 and the amount of detail these guys at Turn 10 concern themselves with is beyond me. Though I do believe there's a trade-off in allowing the game to stretch its skidmarks across the board with its accessibility, the main ForzaTech engine is still the powerhouse that runs it all and as a driver and gamer, it blows my mind.

NFS 2015 ONLY had an equally good livery creator imo.

Not sure why NFS 2015 is being compared to any of those other titles...
Mind as well include Mario Kart while you're at it.

Also to add PCars had a freaking pit radio coming through the freaking controller :bowdown:

You're comparing these driving simulators to each other....and NFS...but you play with a joystick? A DS4, I imagine? Not sure how you can judge any of the actual driving that way.

Some believe AC has the best Physics, I don't agree.

AC doesn't do a lot of things. In fact, it only really does one thing: driving.
The good news? It does it very, very well. In my opinion, it's the closest thing I've ever experienced to actually driving a car from the comforts of your own home.

Just curious, what identity GT Sport has compared to previous games? Maybe I'm not following the series as closely as some but seems like it's a bit different from before where focus is now mostly on online freatures.

As far as pCARS, the focus is on motor sports, so all the features are tailored to that and there is a clear progression from Shift to pCARS 1 to pCARS 2, building on that fundamental thought of having a Motorsport simulator. It's getting there. The physics and game features are aligned with what most people interested in that would want. If the implementation this time around is more solid with less bugs, I think the identity could be clearly seen.

I love upgrading cars but I have to admit that the thing I enjoy most in Forza Motorsport is lapping stock vehicles around random tracks.

I feel that in Forza when a car is stock it has the most character and feels unique but when you start doing the same upgrades to every car they start to lose that unique feeling.(I'm not saying they still don't drive differently but they do drive more similar.)
Speaking of stock cars, FM4 featured the 'no upgrading' option in its events list. It would be nice to have something like that again (as well for online) for those not into upgrading their cars.

Although what you say is true about the cars losing their characters after upgrading them, I've always enjoyed using my imagination to build different types of cars via specs. Such as turning a normal VW Scirocco R into a Street-spec or even better, a Race-spec!

That is why prefer Forza over others. :)

This is another indication why Slightly Mad Studios believes that the other games are playing catch up to Project Cars 2. Three videos in this series. I cannot wait to get Project Cars 2.

These videos were a great watch - thanks for sharing!
Ben really knows his stuff and is a phenomenal driver. He's very informative and has a great personality.

Last edited:
Just people claiming multiple accounts because they can't fathom how more than one person couldn't agree with their opinion.
My god, it was just a joke! And no, I'm not being critical because you don't agree! I don't think you made a fair comparison. It was a little biased.

I find it highly dangerous to claim that Project CARS 2 is 'in another league' against any other racing game given it hasn't released yet. The first game acts as reason enough to remain tight-lipped before you/other consumers have actually played the title.

Last thing we want is a situation similar to the first game's pre-release compared to post-release, where damage control was through the roof because Project CARS wasn't the Christ and savior of racing games.

Features wise, it's looking like it'll be a step above the class but I wouldn't say that's the be all, end all, for the genre. Let's see how it turns out when the finished game is released in September.
The only reason why we say this now is because it looks as though this game will provide an experience like no other racing game. I don't think it's outrageous or dangerous, for all we know it might actually be true.

...I'm curious to know why you think pCars is "ahead of the competition," when almost all the features they have are just an evolution of racing sims that came out over 10 years ago.
From my perspective, the fact that PCARS is doing what some games did years ago underscores how other games have stagnated. I don't admire PCARS for being the first to do those things, I admire it for embracing things like fully dynamic lighting and weather in this über-HD-graphics-obsessed era, and being the only game to fill the gap between a typical PC sim and console sim, creating a unique mix of features, content, and gameplay that is more hardcore than GT/Forza yet more appealing and fleshed-out than a stuffy PC sim.

Regardless of its shortcomings, there's nothing else like PCARS.

PCars 1,despite its flaws, is a great game imo. GTS doesn't even come close
From my perspective, the fact that PCARS is doing what some games did years ago underscores how other games have stagnated. I don't admire PCARS for being the first to do those things, I admire it for embracing things like fully dynamic lighting and weather in this über-HD-graphics-obsessed era, and being the only game to fill the gap between a typical PC sim and console sim, creating a unique mix of features, content, and gameplay that is more hardcore than GT/Forza yet more appealing and fleshed-out than a stuffy PC sim.

Regardless of its shortcomings, there's nothing else like PCARS.
And this is why PCars remains on my PS4 HDD when other titles get deleted to make room, because on console there truly is nothing like it.

Until I see the game running smoothly on (base) consoles and being playable on controllers without having to tinker with settings, I will perceive pCARS 2 as the title playing catch-up with the likes of Gran Turismo and Forza.
Pcars2 has to improve the production car's tires physics. I could only drive race cars on slicks with pad. I quit playing pcars1 due to the fact i like driving production cars more then race cars. I'm going to wait for reviews on controller performance on Pcars2 before purchasing.

Pcars2 has to improve the production car's tires physics. I could only drive race cars on slicks with pad. I quit playing pcars1 due to the fact i like driving production cars more then race cars. I'm going to wait for reviews on controller performance on Pcars2 before purchasing.

Controller use is not a problem in Project CARS 2.

I do however have a few issues.

For one, no matter how much he spoke, he refused to say the words "Forza" or "Gran Turismo".
And the more I watched him, the more prevalent it became.
Now, perhaps in the world of Marketing this is the preferred option.
But as a "regular guy on the street" it became obvious, and frustrating.

Surely if you are confident in your product, simply referring to your competitors by name shouldn't be an issue.
And then take them to task over what you think you do better.
In fact, I would have much preferred to hear him say it.
But instead, his approach of using "other games" continually, and particularly in the condescending voice he used, wasn't a good look.

Maybe he didn't mention Forza or Gran Turismo by name because he wasn't just talking about those games? pCARS competes with those two on console, but also competes with iRacing, RaceRoom, Automobilista, RFactor etc on PC (and also Assetto Corsa on both formats).

I think the console versions of pCARS might be seen by the devs as a necessary evil, something that's required to generate income to fund the game's development. I suspect SMS would be a lot happier producing pCARS purely for PC without the baggage and constraints that console development brings. As such, Andy might actually have been thinking about their competition on PC rather than console when talking about 'other games'.

All speculation of course, and probably bollocks. :lol:

Maybe he didn't mention Forza or Gran Turismo by name because he wasn't just talking about those games? pCARS competes with those two on console, but also competes with iRacing, RaceRoom, Automobilista, RFactor etc on PC (and also Assetto Corsa on both formats).

I think the console versions of pCARS might be seen by the devs as a necessary evil, something that's required to generate income to fund the game's development. I suspect SMS would be a lot happier producing pCARS purely for PC without the baggage and constraints that console development brings. As such, Andy might actually have been thinking about their competition on PC rather than console when talking about 'other games'.

Might be true, after we start playing properly on the PC with a wheel it´s easy to memorize this as the standard, and it´s easy to overlook problems like pad handling, frame rate constraints and stuff like that.

Only when you start to hear people that you realize the legitimate issues people had on consoles, or with the bugs when the game was first released.

This discussion was good just to put their name out there... the article cited had a lot of good info, but for the reasons we already know we got stuck in comparison mode.

One thing i´ll never get is taking sides, but i guess it´s just human nature. I play them all, i trash them all and i praise all of the games for what they do.

The fun thing about all of this is that Pcars2 news on GTPlanet is generating more buzz than actual GTSport news. I think this is pretty telling, considering the context.

If you can drive this with a controller, you should be okay with any car.

IMO that's not a good example because he doesn't appear to be driving at the limit. More of a fast cruise speed, which should be difficult with any input device.

This is another indication why Slightly Mad Studios believes that the other games are playing catch up to Project Cars 2. Three videos in this series. I cannot wait to get Project Cars 2.

Below is my favorite developer interview video from E3. You can see Stephen Viljoen being very enthusiastic about PCARS2, the body language when he is talking about the game is just great. That is a developer being genuinely proud and excited of the game he is working on.

I simply do not see that excitement in Turn 10 interviews, just take a look at the video below. When questions are asked on the stream it's constantly "stay tuned" and "nothing to comment right now", often some hesitation and doubt before answering. They know very well most of the answers of these questions won't be in Forza 7 but they just don't want to say "no sorry that won't be in the game". So much secrecy going on, the contrast with the honesty and enthusiasm of Stephen Viljoen is huge. Sure the Forza devs can be enthousiastic about something as well, they actually seem to be relieved when they get an easy newbie question about stuff that's already in FM6 or FH3 already, of course it will make it in to FM7 as well...

I agree, and think that to retain "Race Cred", SMS needs to compare to everyone including the hardcore sims on PC. There is more money for SMS in console sales probably, hence the console version. Financially sound thinking. The PS4/Xbox are a "similar" platform as PC, making it possible to have the game on all platforms. The best version of the game will be on the PC platform, but not necessary the most profitable.

Until I see the game running smoothly on (base) consoles and being playable on controllers without having to tinker with settings, I will perceive pCARS 2 as the title playing catch-up with the likes of Gran Turismo and Forza.

they said that they work on the controller and it's better now, and you can see gameplay videos with a controller on youtube. most people play with wheels, so Forza and GT are playing catch-up with PCars

most people play with wheels, so Forza and GT are playing catch-up with PCars

Certainly not the case, especially on console where no more than 20% of players use a wheel even on a racing simulation. Not sure where you got the word 'most' from at that implies more than half of users.

With the original pCARS suffering from horrible controller settings out of the box, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of console users are put off from buying, let alone pre-ordering an PS4 or Xbox One copy of pCARS 2 until having a hands-on experience with the reworked inputs.

they said that they work on the controller and it's better now, and you can see gameplay videos with a controller on youtube. most people play with wheels, so Forza and GT are playing catch-up with PCars
I don't have the numbers, so you'll have to excuse me.
But this isn't iRacing, so my head tells me that this isn't the case

And speaking of which, @Masscot
Sure, I can understand that.
But it should be pointed out, every comment regarding comparison during E3, to my mind, was targeted at either Forza or GT.
I wasn't at E3, but I doubt there was much presence from established PC games to be comparing with.

If he was targeting PC rivals, all his claims fall short.
Surely we can simply name iRacing again.
4k, dynamic weather, dynamic track, VR, even track count.
Physics, sound?

So when he suggests it's "adorable" that other games are now getting 4k, it isn't PC games he's referring too.
When he mocks VR across the whole game out of the box, again, it isn't PC competitors.
When he talks of dynamic weather, he's... well I don't know what he's suggesting, but I know he's late to the party.

As I say, I think Andy generally had a good conference.
But let's at lest admit, his targets with his comments/comparisons, were misleading at best.

Last edited:
I don't have the numbers, so you'll have to excuse me.
But this isn't iRacing, so my head tells me that this isn't the case

And speaking of which, @Masscot
Sure, I can understand that.
But it should be pointed out, every comment regarding comparison during E3, to my mind, was targeted at either Forza or GT.
I wasn't at E3, but I doubt there was much presence from established PC games to be comparing with.

If he was targeting PC rivals, all his claims fall short.
Surely we can simply name iRacing again.
4k, dynamic weather, dynamic track, VR, even track count.
Physics, sound?

So when he suggests it's "adorable" that other games are now getting 4k, it isn't PC games he's referring too.
When he mocks VR across the whole game out of the box, again, it isn't PC competitors.
When he talks of dynamic weather, he's... well I don't know what he's suggesting, but I know he's late to the party.

As I say, I think Andy generally had a good conference.
But let's at lest admit, his targets with his comments/comparisons, were misleading at best.
The trump card for any iRacing debate, $60 vs hundreds or thousands of dollars.

The trump card for any iRacing debate, $60 vs hundreds or thousands of dollars.
I'm with you.

Look, I haven't intentionally gone down the road of the thread title.
I have however said my impressions of what I took away from Andy's interviews during this year's E3.

I'm not trying to knock PCars2.
Simply saying his approach on occasion was misleading.

And if I'm honest, I'm seeing little argument against that.

Just for the record, this is also what Microsoft writes about Forza 7 on their own XBox store:

Experience the thrill of motorsport at the limit with the most comprehensive, beautiful and authentic racing game ever made.

reference: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/forza-7

Most comprehensive? Purely on garage car count sure, even on licensing real life motorsports I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. But it has half the tracks of PCARS2, no full dynamic time of day and weather on ALL tracks. In the tech department they also run behind with no tripple monitor support, no VR, no UDP, no full controller customization, nothing to compare to livetrack 3.0, a very simplistic handling model, no FOV or seat adjustments, .... the list goes on and on.

Most beautiful? Again, can be debatable. Sure that Nurburgring demo looked great for many, I personally found that sky a bit overdramatic and the cars didn't make any trails in the wet track either (also very visible in the E3 demo). On the other side, PCARS 2 has full day to night transition which is something FM7 doesn't have, tracks really come to life in PCARS2 and that is something that is huge as well when debating which game is most beautiful. Again, they can even have the benefit of the doubt here.

But most authentic??? With GT3, GT2, GTE, Super GT and Super Trofeo all grouped together under the same banner of "modern GT", with a PI system that is completely fictional, without any practice or qualifying races, with a rewind button and an astronaut suite? Yeah right...

Latest Posts

Back