Announcing GTune 5 for iOS - Now supports ALL Cars & latest DLC

• Thread starter pgagoober
  • 419 comments
I think just adding the box under the engine section would do. It need not necessarily affect anything else, though it would be easy enough to use for HP calculations.

As long as I knew that it needs to be set to some value that would be enough unless you figure how it works into everything. I don't think I can see a scenario where it needs to come into play with InTune.

I think just adding the box under the engine section would do. It need not necessarily affect anything else, though it would be easy enough to use for HP calculations.

As long as I knew that it needs to be set to some value that would be enough unless you figure how it works into everything. I don't think I can see a scenario where it needs to come into play with InTune.

Gotcha. So the actual power limiter value itself is not so important since that will likely need to change anyway as the car's HP will migrate slowly over time, effecting the PP and the required power limiter value. It would be useful however to be able to tell at a glance that xxxHP or xxxPP specified in the tune were achieved via the power limiter.

Does that sound about right? It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a creative way of displaying that in the tuning screen as well as the tunes list itself.

Just downloaded the app mate . All I can say is its a big 👍 from me had to tweak the lsd and the gears didn't look right but the overall handling of the car was spot on . Keep up the good work :)

Hi pgagoober,
Could you please check the drivetrain for 'Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 Base '06'? It's suppose to be a 4WD but on the app it's an FR. Thanks.

Hi pgagoober,
Could you please check the drivetrain for 'Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 Base '06'? It's suppose to be a 4WD but on the app it's an FR. Thanks.

For those who have this app, would anyone like to enter a tune from it up against GT Planet's tuning garages to see how well it does. There are a number of tuners entering the Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 Base '06 in this event. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8384411#post8384411
Might be interesting to see how close the app can come to the humans.

Also, to mkel1966, maybe he listed it as FR because the front LSD isn't adjustable?

Hi pgagoober,

When you say it's an FR, are you just referring to the LSD adjustability? I'm seeing it listed as a 4WD and it matches against 4WD tunes in the inTune system. Please let me know if you're seeing something different. Thanks.

^^^^ the front LSD options show N/A which, like MCH suggests, is the probable cause for the confusion.

The app doesn't state drivetrain so if you don't know already you'd have to look at LSD or Centre Diff to figure it out.

^^^^ the front LSD options show N/A which, like MCH suggests, is the probable cause for the confusion.

The app doesn't state drivetrain so if you don't know already you'd have to look at LSD or Centre Diff to figure it out.

The app actually does show the drivetrain for each car. You can see it on the Tuned Cars list or on the list of cars presented when you are choosing a new car to tune. See the pic below for an example. If you think it would be helpful to display it somewhere else in the app please do let me know.

Thanks.

Drivetrain.jpg

When you say it's an FR, are you just referring to the LSD adjustability? I'm seeing it listed as a 4WD and it matches against 4WD tunes in the inTune system. Please let me know if you're seeing something different. Thanks.

Hi,,the front LSD can't be adjusted only the rear.

I'm late to the show here, but I just bought GTune 5 today. Although I don't completely understand it yet - this, I can tell, is one of the best Apps I've ever seen. Simply amazing work! Job well done, and I hope it carries to GTune 6!

My question is weather or not the tune setups can be implemented through the app to my garage? Therefore, can I log in and have GTune 5 load my garage, and changes i make through GTune are automatically implemented, or do I make a tune in the app, and then manually adjust it on my Playstation?

Sorry if this is a stupid question..

kendallgrubbs
I'm late to the show here, but I just bought GTune 5 today. Although I don't completely understand it yet - this, I can tell, is one of the best Apps I've ever seen. Simply amazing work! Job well done, and I hope it carries to GTune 6!

My question is weather or not the tune setups can be implemented through the app to my garage? Therefore, can I log in and have GTune 5 load my garage, and changes i make through GTune are automatically implemented, or do I make a tune in the app, and then manually adjust it on my Playstation?

Sorry if this is a stupid question..

No such thing as a stupid question and thanks for the compliments on the app!

Unfortunately there is no way to automatically import the tunes from the app directly into the game. I would love to provide that feature but it would require a more open platform from Sony and support from Polyphony Digital. I have no reason to believe either of those will happen anytime soon but I would love to be proven wring on that. For now, we need to manually input the tune data in the game.

I realize it has been a while since I have released an update to the app and there are still some promised features yet to be delivered. Once my kiddo is back at school in a little over a week from now, I'll be back onboard fulltime so you can expect to see some new features soon.

GT6 is obviously very much on my radar and I'm typing this message on my recently acquired Samsung Galaxy S4 so that's a hint regarding my plans for the next release of the game ;-)

kendallgrubbs
awesome. well keep us iphone users in mind my friend, and meanwhile, PD should be writing you checks to get you involved in GT6.

Lol. That would be very nice. Kaz‚ are you listening? :)

Mobile integration is the future in gaming, especially when it comes to a franchise like this one. The ability to directly import changes made to one's account via tuning, buying, selling, and creating through one's mobile device is intangible. You are a gifted developer, and I find it surprising PD hasn't given you the contract you deserve to get on board and have a fundamental impact on their series.

Listen closely PD, this is your man - and I would absolutely be willing to contribute to his paycheck if you'd just give him the chance!

Hi Gang. After a hectic summer of extreme heat, summer camps with my daughter, Legoland, etc. etc., I am back to working on GTune 5 and getting ready for GTune 6. I would like to let you all know where my efforts will be directed and the resulting good news and bad news that will entail.

First the bad news. Thanks to Apple's decision to drop support in the developer tools for any version of iOS lower than 4.3, I have little choice but to move on to the latest development environment. The result of this is that any existing customers running an iOS version lower than 4.3 will no longer be able to get app updates. I have tried to avoid doing this but it has reached a point that in order to move forward, some older devices will have to be left behind. I very sincerely apologize to any of you that are effected. I am hoping that will be a very very small number as the percentage of visitors to the GTune 5 website from iOS 4.2.1 or lower has been less than 1% since the beginning of 2013 and is rapidly approaching zero.

IMPORTANT: If you are still using a device which cannot be upgraded to iOS 4.3 or above you MUST BACKUP your device on your local PC/Mac. After my next update is submitted to the App Store you will no longer be able to download and reinstall the app directly from the store. However, you will be able to reinstall from your local backup so please please take the time to do that if this effects you.

And now on to the good news. I am planning to implement several new features over the coming weeks so you can expect to see some new updates coming soon, including support for the iPhone 5's taller screen. For now I am going to shelve the transmission tuner as I have yet to get it to a point where it works reliably enough to release. As I have said before, it has proven to be a much more challenging task than I ever would have expected and although it pains me to do it, I must not allow it to get in the way of other progress. I am definitely not dropping it from my list, but I am postponing it for now. As for the list of features that I will be moving on to - I have not yet prioritized them so if you have input on what you would like to see next (with the obvious exception of the transmission tuner) please let me know.

The last piece of news is I would like to confirm that I am actively researching an Android version of the app for Gran Turismo 6. iOS will still be supported for the GT6 app of course, but it is my plan to follow that up with an Android release as quickly as possible. After I have cleared the list of features I want to complete in GTune 5 I will begin work on an Android version which I hope can be easily modified to work with GT6 when the time comes. Don't expect an Android release of GTune 5 as that is just an exercise to build a codebase for the GTune 6 release. In any case it is not likely that I will have a completely functioning GTune 5 ready for Android before the release of GT6.

That's all for now. As always thank you all for your support. I am just a PM, e-mail or forum post away if you have any questions or suggestions.

Brendan.

Awesome news, Brendan! I look forward to your improvements and the new Android mirror. If you need some assistance with testing on actual devices I have a phone and several tablets at my disposal. :)

Good afternoon, I was just wondering if you would be updating the app to include support for GT6? Its the only app I've ever bought with real money and its a shame its now redundant with the release of gt6. What sort of changes would be required to make it useable with GT6?

Good afternoon, I was just wondering if you would be updating the app to include support for GT6? Its the only app I've ever bought with real money and its a shame its now redundant with the release of gt6. What sort of changes would be required to make it useable with GT6?

Thanks for supporting the app and thanks for the question. As you might imagine, I have been spending a LOT of time looking at GT6 since its release in an effort to understand how much has changed since GT5. Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for everyone else a lot more has changed than is immediately apparent. The end result of that is there are several reasons why adapting the existing GTune 5 app to also support GT6 would not be a good idea. However, I am planning a new release, GTune 6, which will fully support GT6. I did give some very serious thought to just adding GT6 support to the existing app as it would theoretically enable existing users to migrate GTune 5 tunes to GTune 6. However, there seems to have been substantial changes to the physics engine so existing GT5 tunes are not likely to work as well in GT6 and will at least need to be tweaked, if not completely re-developed.

Here are some of the reasons I have decided releasing a new app is the right course of action:
  • I believe the vast majority of GT6 users will stick with GT6 and will not alternate between playing GT5 and GT6. This means providing GT5 and GT6 functionality in the same app would be of little value.
  • The physics engine has changed fairly substantially so existing GT5 tunes are not likely to work well in GT6.
  • The tuning precision has increased in GT6 versus GT5, allowing more refined tuning which was not previously possible. Again, this hints at a less than optimal experience with existing GT5 tunes.
  • The tuning ranges for things like Ride Height and Spring Rate have changed across the board. As a result, tunes generated for GT5 might not fit within the new tuning ranges in GT6, or vice versa. This means maintaining separate databases of tuning data for each game, which is most clearly and easily supported via two distinct apps.
  • The stock tuning values seem to have changed for all cars in the game, again requiring very separate sets of data for each game release.
  • Beginning Feb 1st all new apps and app updates submitted to Apple will need to be built on the latest SDK and will need to be "optimized for iOS7". If I were to include GT6 support in the existing app that would require obsoleting hardware and OS releases still in use by GTune 5 customers, which is something I really want to avoid.

So, obviously I have decided to pursue developing a new app and I hope you understand and agree with my reasoning above. The next logical question of course is when will it be available? My target timeframe is Q1 of 2014. The changes in default tuning values and possible tuning ranges have created a ton of work gathering all the car data again (Yay! :banghead:), which will obviously take a lot of time. I had hoped to get it done before the end of January but realistically I wouldn't expect to see it before the end of Feb given the additional data gathering effort that is now necessary. Needless to say I'll be aiming to get it out ASAP but there is a lot of work to be done and I'm working on my own, so making accurate schedule predictions is pretty much impossible right now.

When GTune 6 is available I will do some kind of competition/giveaway for existing GTune 5 users who have contributed in this thread and over e-mail. I appreciate all your feedback and support and I hope you will enjoy the new release.

Happy Holidays all!

Last edited:
Yay! I would much prefer a whole new fresh app for tuning in GT6 rather than adding on to the current app. Can't wait until this comes out.

Goober, I do not envy you, you've got a rather large challenge ahead of you! Rear brakes seem to act differently from car to car. Some cars it feels like you yanked on the E-Brake even when using a 6/4 split! Aerodynamics has a greater affect as well. PD including preset Sports Tuned Hard and Soft setup is a big step for those of us who can't tune.

Thanks guys.

Dave - I definitely need to spend more time playing around with the brakes to see what I can do with them. I tried messing around with the balance to prevent the fronts locking up each time under heavy braking but even with a 0/10 "balance" the fronts lock up and go red while the rears just keep on truckin'. :(

Back