Announcing Tuning Prohibited/Clean Run Seasonal Challenges

• Thread starter NCRthree
  • 37 comments
Glad you're having fun my friend and good to see that these events are really taking off for you. Here's wishing you continued success with your idea. :cheers:

I'll be away from the ps3 for the upcoming week, so the next Challenge won't be going up until the beginning of the following week. This is TT week too.

Question: We've still got a great number of non forced SRF seasonal Events available. I'm thinking we could add some older Events to our Challenges. How does that sound?

I know the newest Event gets the most interest but they are actually re-runs of past Events with different tracks. Guess I'm still having some misgivings about SRF and how a stock vehicle drives with it on no matter what tires are used. The goal was to have this be a "purist" approach to GT5. A way to drive and experience the cars in a "lowest common denominator" way.

I'll try some more SRF vs NO SRF tire tests. Use the Mini's on different compounds on Deep Forest and compare lap times and handling characteristics.

Any comments?

I've noticed the Seasonal events are so full the scrolling buttons on the bottom shift as you can't see them all... I expect some of them to vanish soon.

Otherwise fine with anything - I wouldn't mind repeating older seasonals for a theme. I prefer Comfort tyres to Race tyres.

A back to back test in one of the Minis at a track is good.

So I did a little SRF on and off test with the 05 MINI at Deep Forest. Practice mode no tire wear 5 laps per test. No aids. ABS 3/1.

First SRF ON with Comfort Mediums like our run. Ran without the boost starting in the 1:38's then with 2 best laps in the low 1:36's. Familiar car feel from our runs.

Next SRF OFF with Comfort Softs. All laps were low 1:35's. Far more overall grip, I could take corners faster and more confidently. Brake zones were shorter, it just felt and was faster.

So this confirmed what I'd tried before: there's no chance to run faster with 1 less grade tire with SRF engaged. Of course this was hot lapping with no panic stopping involved. I felt pretty good about the format.

SRF's effects came into play much more noticeably when I purposely got the car out of shape. I was actually amazed at how it kept my car from sliding off or locking up. The softer tire couldn't get close to compensating. No way. For the purpose of setting a fast time though, that wouldn't matter. The time lost would be significant no matter if SRF was on or not. Plus we can't turn it off!

I'll throw some older non SRF Events in the mix. Might as well run them before PD replaces them with forced SRF Events. Same type regs. Maybe have a different leaderboard for ABS1 if folks are having a tough time without that assist.

Last edited:
Some new NO SRF challenges will be put up soon. I'd like to run some Vintage Cars at low pp on Comfort tires. Pick up the vintage sportscars in the current OCD at 0 miles. They'll be there until next week. They're cheap, fun and so darned pretty.

Some new NO SRF challenges will be put up soon. I'd like to run some Vintage Cars at low pp on Comfort tires. Pick up the vintage sportscars in the current OCD at 0 miles. They'll be there until next week. They're cheap, fun and so darned pretty.

Excellent. I really enjoyed the M3 one. The Ferrari one less because I found the srf too obtrusive. I couldn't set a decent time without srf raising its ugly head in a very obvious manner. It wasn't such a problem with the Mini ones. Have you thought about setting one using the old Mini? I did all the races using a tuned old Mini and it was much more fun than the new Mini. I don't think it would be competitive stock though.

Back