Anthony Bourdain, celebrity chef, commits suicide at age 61.

Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.

CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.
"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."

It does seem like an increasingly frequent occurrence among the celebrity set in particular. Whether that's statistically accurate or just my impression it's hard to say.

It does seem like an increasingly frequent occurrence among the celebrity set in particular. Whether that's statistically accurate or just my impression it's hard to say.

Perhaps it's just that these days there are more people that are considered 'celebrities' around so statistically there are more celebrity suicides.

I loved his shows, even though we got them a few years late here in Aus (some of his shows we get on free to air tv here are so old they’re not even shot in widescreen, let alone HD.) :lol:

Last edited:
I loved his shows, even though we got them a few years late here in Aus (some of his shows we get on free to air tv here are so old they’re not even shot in widescreen let alone HD.) :lol:

From watching history or animal documentaries. When it came to food or cooking Anthony Bourdain was the man.

Perhaps it's just that these days there are more people that are considered 'celebrities' around so statistically there are more celebrity suicides.
Probably has a lot to do with it. This one seems particularly unusual as Bourdain was literally at the pinnacle of his profession if you consider his profession as celebrity chef. I would assume there's a lot more to the story. It would be the hockey equivalent of Sidney Crosby committing suicide or Tom Brady in football. Hard to fathom.

I’ll have to look it up, but I had read something a couple years ago that he had been going through something that caused a change in his life style and one of his shows.

I guess this kind of thing comes in waves. Kate Spade probably isn't well known around a boy oriented gaming forum, but her suicide was in the headlines the other day.

In the more recent episodes that I have seen, I’d noticed that he didn’t drink as much and was off the cigarettes. Not that that could mean much.

Edit: @Danoff her suicide was a top story on the non-commercial radio station I listen to, I’ll be sure to listen tomorrow for Anthony Bourdain’s mention.

Edit Edit: Not that I would expect him to be mentioned, I’m just curious that’s all.

In the more recent episodes that I have seen, I’d noticed that he didn’t drink as much and was off the cigarettes. Not that that could mean much.
Also picked up some form of martial arts and really got into terrific shape.

Also picked up some form of martial arts and really got into terrific shape.
I hadn’t really seen that on tv over here, but it seemed like he was on a healthier track. We don’t get the new shows over here for a couple of years at least.

I guess this kind of thing comes in waves. Kate Spade probably isn't well known around a boy oriented gaming forum, but her suicide was in the headlines the other day.

That one's been the subject of a lot of discussion in our house the last few days. My girlfriend's a big fan of the brand, and like Bourdain, it's especially sad because there are young kids involved.

Apparently Spade's sister tried to get her the help she needed, but Kate was concerned about how that potential news would impact the brand. I think that's a sad comment on the continued stigma surrounding mental health treatment.

Probably has a lot to do with it. This one seems particularly unusual as Bourdain was literally at the pinnacle of his profession if you consider his profession as celebrity chef. I would assume there's a lot more to the story. It would be the hockey equivalent of Sidney Crosby committing suicide or Tom Brady in football. Hard to fathom.

Inexplicable. Stap me mystified. This guy had a life that many would have envied.
There's more to this story probably - unfortunate that such a unique personality was extinguished prematurely. I enjoyed his shows, his humour and his food savvy.

Completely and utterly shocked. My brother is a bigger follower so I know he's torn up. Suicide is the worst...

Having followed his career for a very long time (before the TV shows) and read most of his books, his background in particular the periods of drug abuse (which was very heavy at times) and the toll it took on him may have been a factor.

Edited to add, if you like his shows then I strongly recommend reading Kitchen Confidential, its an excellent insight into who he was and what drove his love of food and cooking.

I was thunder struck when I heard the news this morning. Big fan, totally sucks. And I feel especially bad because he left behind an 11 yr old child. That's a tough age to be when something like that happens.

This one hit hard. Anthony Bourdain was one of my favourite TV personalities. I rarely drop everything and tune in to TV, but I always would for No Reservations and Parts Unknown. I truly enjoyed his insight and commentary and just how he came across as such a downtown earth person.

Why do I feel like I'm the only person who has never seen or heard of this guy before?

As someone who works in the food service industry his work peaked my interest. But even if you're maybe interested in other cultures in general I would check out his shows No Reservations and Parts Unknown.

Why do I feel like I'm the only person who has never seen or heard of this guy before?
I've never watched his show but I knew of him through the CNN news page. I do see people pop up on various news feeds all the time and referred to as a star of some kind and I've never heard of them either. I'd say that goes for most people referred to as stars actually, outside of sports anyway.

Inexplicable. Stap me mystified. This guy had a life that many would have envied.

That doesn't really have anything to do with it. Suicide is often related to mental illnesses like clinical depression. These are illnesses that can strike anyone no matter how successful. Nor will it always be obvious, especially if you're not close to the person.

That people continue to think "oh, he can't have mental health problems, his life is too good" is exactly the sort of misunderstanding that makes it so difficult for people with mental health problems to get help.

This wasn't inexplicable. The guy was obviously going through some stuff and couldn't take it any more. It's remarkably common. Good people get sick, and without help many of them never make it back to join the rest of us.

As someone who works in the food service industry his work peaked my interest. But even if you're maybe interested in other cultures in general I would check out his shows No Reservations and Parts Unknown.
I've been meaning to check him out as i'll probably find that I have watched a programme or two of his. I do watch cooking, property and travel shows so its surprising to methat I don't reconise him whilst all my FB friends seam to think a lot of him.
I've never watched his show but I knew of him through the CNN news page. I do see people pop up on various news feeds all the time and referred to as a star of some kind and I've never heard of them either. I'd say that goes for most people referred to as stars actually, outside of sports anyway.
I try to stay away from outlets that report on so called stars. I usually find these "stars" are just from crap like Love island or Geordie Shore. I stay away from music channels too. what a bunch of crap this generation is.

You shouldn't. I'd never heard of him either.
This makes me feel better.

Back