Anti-lag question.

• Thread starter mynameis66
  • 39 comments
Aside from all the funnies, which there have been a few of and all of them high quality BTW.

In my experience, the largest contributor to poor fuel economy in this game is the ALS (with downforce likely a close 2nd). If I have a car that struggles with fuel burn, the first thing to go is the ALS. Conversely, if I feel I have an abundance of economy, I will keep it enabled.

Route X test with Huayra (and whatever parts I just had installed) on 20x fuel consumption on 5km checkpoint from rolling start with no car in lead to provide slipstream
no anti lag 9% fuel left, slowest time 49.82
weak anti lag 9% fuel, faster time 49.63
strong anti lag 8% fuel left, tiny bit faster time 49.61

As long as there is any non acceleration time, the anti lag system will spend extra fuel to make your next acceleration faster.
Difference between strong and weak would be more obvious on tracks that have turns you have to slow down for.
Seems like a tiny difference, compared to the PP cost. I did a test with the BRZ GT300 at HSR (the S bend in the middle sector is a good way of testing throttle response), and honestly I couldn't feel a big difference between ALS Off/Weak/Strong.

If I'm doing PP races it's definitely the first part I'm taking off.

Another thing is, turbo lag hasn't been modelled properly since GT1. There is no delay at all between stomping on the throttle and the boost gauge building up in GT2-7. Some cars like the Option Stream Z in GT4-6 feels like it has lag, but it's modelled in the power curve, not the boost itself.

Last edited:
Route X isnt the best course to use ALS with, I was simply looking for a way to get the most constant results without driver error ;)

Might do the same as I always do: let the AI do the racing and compare results at the end, but in all honesty I dont think ALS has a worthy place in GT7 and should just be skipped because the price wont match the results as you already said yourself.

The performance increase depends on the engine+turbo combo of the car, obviously.
Some cars, specially more modern cars, the turbo lag is barely noticeable ( R35, FK8 Civic).
But older cars with huge turbos (Suzuki Escudo cames to mind immediately), there lag effect is huge and an anti lag would improve performance and driveability.

Apologies for the thread rez, but has anyone noticed an interaction between anti lag and the sports clutches/flywheels? I was thinking that with better flywheels you get quicker shifting, less time for the turbo to spool down so maybe antilag is not as noticeable or necessary for something like a drag race? It should still make a difference when off throttle for several seconds in a braking zone though.

Apologies for the thread rez, but has anyone noticed an interaction between anti lag and the sports clutches/flywheels? I was thinking that with better flywheels you get quicker shifting, less time for the turbo to spool down so maybe antilag is not as noticeable or necessary for something like a drag race? It should still make a difference when off throttle for several seconds in a braking zone though.
A flywheel is on the motor. Lighter weight and the engine will rev faster. Shifting gear speeds are a transmission, clutch and skill thing. (or type of transmission)🍻

Great thread! Lots of learnings thanks for sharing your wisdom.
As many have alluded to, I don't install ALS with any expectation of increasing overall pace, so much as improving throttle responsiveness and/or consistency in getting the power down. I often install it on drift builds so I can let the smoke out again faster after getting off the throttle, or on race cars where the wheel spin is less than predictable on corner exits - fully tuned Ford Sierra RS comes to mind as a good example of a car I found improved consistency with ALS.

Last edited:
Back