anti skid

  • Thread starter Thread starter Moldyplum
  • 59 comments
  • 3,299 views
Most of what I know about cars and their inner workings I've learned playing GT and reading knowledgeable postson GT Planet. So what's the difference between SRF and Vehicle Stability Assist that I have on my Accord?
And the main difference is that VSA is a safety feature that will try to recover from wheels losing grip, and things like that, and will not make you go faster. SFR on the other hand will make you go faster since all it does is give you "miracle" grip:tup:
 
You asked for best racing experience, not fastest. SRF is a fake driver aid that gives you unrealistic levels if grip, so of course it's faster. In GT5 TT's it was banned, but for some reason it's not banned this time. So for the best driving experience, turn SRF OFF.

@bongoplyr Your Accord doesn't defy physics and suddenly give you more grip that is physically possible.

Agreed,
I use a G27 wheel set to: simulation / power off/ feedback at 5
In game settings: steering sensitivity set to 0, ABS = 1, ALL OTHER AIDS OFF I find that this gives me the best driving experience. I have managed to achieve gold in every event that I have participated in so far, including seasonals, and I'm at 73% game completion. My race win percentage is above 95%. That’s a whole lot of gold placements with no aids.
My biggest aid has been a REALLY GOOD TUNE! Check out Praiano63 tuning garage. This man’s tunes, adapted with minor tweaks to suit my driving style, have helped me win more races than any aids ever could.
Cheers everyone,
 
Real life traction and stability aids are still limited by tyre grip. These systems notice skid or traction loss and utilize controlled braking of single wheels or cutting of engine power to keep the car stable.

One of the reasons I never understand why non racing car leagues are so arsed about the use of traction control, it doesn't gain anything.
Same here, I never under stand why anyone would have an issue with anyone using TCS or ABS. If they want to use it then let them do so. My real car has ABS and TCS on it, one of them anyway. It also has a handy dandy little switch there to turn the TCS off if you want but it always comes back ont he next time you start the engine.

The only assist I would disable in a lobby in GT6 are SRF and assisted steering and in Forza I disable the Auto braking.

So basically there are 3 assists that should not be allowed SRF, Assisted Steering and Driving Line as they are all fake aides TCS ABS and ASM are all totally reasonable to use
 
You asked for best racing experience... So for the best driving experience, turn SRF OFF.
"Best racing experience" is a subjective expression would you agree?

If a completely new player was to take the RUF Yellowbird to the Nordschleife on sport hard tyres, do you think he, subjectively, would have a better experience with SRF on or off?
 
"Best racing experience" is a subjective expression would you agree?

If a completely new player was to take the RUF Yellowbird to the Nordschleife on sport hard tyres, do you think he, subjectively, would have a better experience with SRF on or off?
Good point:tup:
 
Same here, I never under stand why anyone would have an issue with anyone using TCS or ABS. If they want to use it then let them do so. My real car has ABS and TCS on it, one of them anyway. It also has a handy dandy little switch there to turn the TCS off if you want but it always comes back ont he next time you start the engine.

The only assist I would disable in a lobby in GT6 are SRF and assisted steering and in Forza I disable the Auto braking.

So basically there are 3 assists that should not be allowed SRF, Assisted Steering and Driving Line as they are all fake aides TCS ABS and ASM are all totally reasonable to use

Exactly the way I would put it. People don't seem to understand that SFR and Active steering are completely different to TCS ASM and ABS. SFR is essentially changing the physics engine applied to your car whilst ASM TCS and ABS can work completely harmoniously within a full blown simulation without affecting realism at all. Active steering is just GT6 steering for you to a degree.

The only thing I would add is cars in real life that do not have those systems should not have them in stock form those cars.
 
Makes the car drive alot faster but horrible to drive theres no feel for the cars true character. I say off off off! Just like GT5 was
 
I tried SRF on a couple seasonal to try the difference (after getting gold with SRF off). Wasn't even a challenge. Beat my own times at least by 4-5 sec.

Turn it off. Burn it alive and never even look at it again.
With it on you don't even need to know what apex is.

They should just remove SRF from the game. Along with active steering.

Driving line is OK since it helps on tracks you are not familiar with and it is not absolute. Once you get used to the track, the line is only a distraction.
 
I'm actually slower with SRF on, as it results in a car that simply doesn't behave as it should, that it is forced on for some seasonals' and all of the Goodwood events annoys the hell out of me.

One area the subject of aids does amuse me however is when people get a little OTT in regard to the use in certain race cars, either unaware or ignoring the number of series that actually allow the use of both TCS and ABS (ALMS, ELMS, WEC, DTM to name but a few).
 
I did a couple of tests with SRF and had some interesting results. In the seasonals I found that I was easily a few seconds faster with it on but when I got in some of my tuned cars that I had been running with it off I found that turning in on did not make me faster. Possibly because I already had a feel for the car and just did not drive it much differently, I found it interesting non the less.
 
"Best racing experience" is a subjective expression would you agree?

If a completely new player was to take the RUF Yellowbird to the Nordschleife on sport hard tyres, do you think he, subjectively, would have a better experience with SRF on or off?

This used to be me in GT5.
With GT6, I made myself a promise that I would endeavour to become a better virtual driver by improving my driving ability without the aids. I was that guy who thought that that the driving line, for example, was my way to gold. Boy was I wrong. I started paying more attention to my in game friends times, and watching their driving line (ghost off will display your virtual friends driving line). What I discovered is that those that are achieving better times are not following the games driving line at all. This for me, other than ABS, is the latest aid to be turned off. Honestly, it was pure hell for a while, but after about half a dozen races, I started doing better, and started improving the lap times I was getting with the line on. Turning the aids off has helped me become a better virtual driver.
I would agree that driving aids are there to help give a more positive game experience, and if that is what does it for you GREAT, nothing wrong with that in my opinion. At the end of the day, it’s whatever gives you the most gaming enjoyment.
 
...series that actually allow the use of both TCS and ABS (ALMS, ELMS, WEC, DTM to name but a few).
What a bunch of noobs, learn how to drive etc.
/sarcasm
 
I think everyone is making too much of a big deal about SRF. If it's avaloable in the game, they're allowed to use it. I'm getting sick of all the complaining about driving aids in a video game. :grumpy: This isn't iRacing or rFactor.
 
I think everyone is making too much of a big deal about SRF. If it's avaloable in the game, they're allowed to use it. I'm getting sick of all the complaining about driving aids in a video game. :grumpy: This isn't iRacing or rFactor.
Its actually quite an easy one to fix (and keep everyone happy).

First make it truly optional across all event. Secondly on Leaderboards clearly ID what aids were used and either separate they out or put those using SRF below those who did not (as FM does for dirty laps - your lap still counts but doesn't rank above clean laps regardless of how fast it is).

While its forced on however its a legitimate gripe.
 
The argument is that they wouldn't even be the top ten without SRF. So people consider it cheating or at the very least, an unfair advantage.

You couldn't be more wrong. The top 10 will still be the same people, with or without SRF. I am a top 150-200 driver, with or without SRF, plain and simple. As for it being cheating, that is also a wrong assumption, as it is available for anyone to use, therefore it is not cheating. If you prefer not to use it, that's on you, but don't accuse other people that use it as "cheats" just because they choose to use an available option.

Look, I despise SRF just as much as the next person and agree that it is a very unrealistic aid. But, the fact of the matter is, until they disable it in the Seasonal TT's, I use it so I can be competitive with the rest of my friends in the Seasonals and the people on the leaderboard. Am I cheating, definitely not, and I don't like being labled as such just because I use an available driving aid. And let me just say this, the Seasonal TT's is the only place I use it for the reasons stated above, otherwise it is only ABS1 for me.

In my opinion, I think they should just disable it altogether for the Seasonal TT's. The way I see it, the TT's are a test of skill to see who can get around the track the fastest. It does not take much skill to drive around the track with SRF on. Again, and having said that, SRF is not magically going to turn you into a Top 10 driver. The leaderboards will still remain the same for the most part, everyone is just going to be faster. (Roughly 2-3 seconds faster) Like I said, with an honest effort, I usually finish in the Top 200, with or without SRF. So yes, I agree, just turn it off in the TT's and be done with it, end of story.

@glowworm44: Just fyi, the simulation and other two settings do not work with the G27. Those options are only intended for the wheels that are high-lighted when those options are choosen. Read the scrolling text also under that menu. :)
 
Last edited:
I'm actually slower with SRF on, as it results in a car that simply doesn't behave as it should, that it is forced on for some seasonals' and all of the Goodwood events annoys the hell out of me.

One area the subject of aids does amuse me however is when people get a little OTT in regard to the use in certain race cars, either unaware or ignoring the number of series that actually allow the use of both TCS and ABS (ALMS, ELMS, WEC, DTM to name but a few).

This is something that always has annoyed me, in EVERY racing game I have tried it's all racecar = no TC or ABS. But you can use it in say, an MX-5. When in reality that is completely backwards.

Another thing I don't like about GT5 and GT6 is TC OFF is slower than TC ON. This is not right at all. TC ON will ALWAYS be faster in real life (in a racing car, not the stuff you find in road cars).
 
@glowworm44: Just fyi, the simulation and other two settings do not work with the G27. Those options are only intended for the wheels that are high-lighted when those options are choosen. Read the scrolling text also under that menu. :)[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I noticed that, but didn’t give it much thought. I will revisit my wheel settings this evening.
Cheers!
 
I'm actually slower with SRF on, as it results in a car that simply doesn't behave as it should, that it is forced on for some seasonals' and all of the Goodwood events annoys the hell out of me.

One area the subject of aids does amuse me however is when people get a little OTT in regard to the use in certain race cars, either unaware or ignoring the number of series that actually allow the use of both TCS and ABS (ALMS, ELMS, WEC, DTM to name but a few).

I dont understand how you can be slower with SFR on unless your driving is very strange in a bad way. SFR Simplys give you more road holding ability and thus better cornering and grip. You can carry more speed through the corners and thus the whole track. How can that make you go slower?
 
You couldn't be more wrong. The top 10 will still be the same people, with or without SRF. I am a top 150-200 driver, with or without SRF, plain and simple. As for it being cheating, that is also a wrong assumption, as it is available for anyone to use, therefore it is not cheating. If you prefer not to use it, that's on you, but don't accuse other people that use it as "cheats" just because they choose to use an available option.

Look, I despise SRF just as much as the next person and agree that it is a very unrealistic aid. But, the fact of the matter is, until they disable it in the Seasonal TT's, I use it so I can be competitive with the rest of my friends in the Seasonals and the people on the leaderboard. Am I cheating, definitely not, and I don't like being labled as such just because I use an available driving aid. And let me just say this, the Seasonal TT's is the only place I use it for the reasons stated above, otherwise it is only ABS1 for me.

In my opinion, I think they should just disable it altogether for the Seasonal TT's. The way I see it, the TT's are a test of skill to see who can get around the track the fastest. It does not take much skill to drive around the track with SRF on. Again, and having said that, SRF is not magically going to turn you into a Top 10 driver. The leaderboards will still remain the same for the most part, everyone is just going to be faster. (Roughly 2-3 seconds faster) Like I said, with an honest effort, I usually finish in the Top 200, with or without SRF. So yes, I agree, just turn it off in the TT's and be done with it, end of story.

@glowworm44: Just fyi, the simulation and other two settings do not work with the G27. Those options are only intended for the wheels that are high-lighted when those options are choosen. Read the scrolling text also under that menu. :)


Well said. I actually Agree with you. I don't think SRF is cheating at all and I agree that those top 10 drivers have the skills to justify being in those top spots with or without SRF.

..but it's an unpopular opinion.
 
I dont understand how you can be slower with SFR on unless your driving is very strange in a bad way. SFR Simplys give you more road holding ability and thus better cornering and grip. You can carry more speed through the corners and thus the whole track. How can that make you go slower?
Because the cars do not react in the same way as they do without it, particularity at the limit of grip. At that point I don't expect a car to suddenly gain more grip, I expect to have to correct it and doing that really upsets the SRF.

When SRF kicks in the turning circle of a good number of cars tightens and it totally throws off my line, that doesn't make my driving without it 'bad', it makes my driving with it bad.

The quickest way around a track with SRF is often to turn in far to late, allow the magic grip to help you and throw in a dab of handbrake as well (as tyre scrub doesn't reduce speed as much as it should): I make no apologies for not wanting to drive in that manner, its not what I want from GT.

I could take the time and try and learn to work with it, but that would kind of defeat the reason why I play GT, and personally would much rather PD gave us the option to be able to have it on or off in all events. Until then Goodwood is a place I visit in arcade mode only as far as GT goes.
 
Last edited:
Everyone uses SRF in Seasonal Time trials, so as much as I dislike it, I also use it to be fair. Either they permanently turn it off for everyone, or just let it on for everyone.
 
@glowworm44: Just fyi, the simulation and other two settings do not work with the G27. Those options are only intended for the wheels that are high-lighted when those options are choosen. Read the scrolling text also under that menu.

So it would seem.... but in gt5 the difference was massive on my g27! I always use simulation but once I could not drive at all one day I knew something was wrong and after looking at my options ... somehow it had been set to amateur. After a few tests I realised it makes a huge difference, just tried it on gt6 and its the opposite now (more oversteer and more grip) but still makes a difference but not as intense as gt5
 
So it would seem.... but in gt5 the difference was massive on my g27! I always use simulation but once I could not drive at all one day I knew something was wrong and after looking at my options ... somehow it had been set to amateur. After a few tests I realised it makes a huge difference, just tried it on gt6 and its the opposite now (more oversteer and more grip) but still makes a difference but not as intense as gt5

Hi, thanks for your comments.
I have noticed the same thing myself. Even though the g27 wheel graphic does not light up when adjusting certain settings, adjusting them regardless, does influence the feedback.
 
ALL off besides ABS, for a true racing experience.

Real men don't need electronic aids.

:sly:
 
Already posted this, but i think it's relevant:



ABS, ASM and TC are real. SRF and AS are not.

Agreed with above.
1.For better racing experience turn all of. The point being to fully feel the car.
2.There is also a different argument. Use what the IRL car has. The point being simulate reality better.

A lot of people like abs (Myself included), which is the best way to use point 1 and 2, so you might give it a try. A lot of people don't like SRF because it is unrealistic as some users pointed out.
 
With a controller I have no issues with SRF turned on.
 
The best racing experience depends on you, so the on/off question also depends on you. Use it or dont if you want.
 
Back