Any good Car YTers?

United States
Houston, TX
TheOneDonJuan
Can anyone recommend any car YTers that aren't like...total dorks? Feel like if I search sports car videos on YT the algorithm ends up hammering me with the same type of YTer that reviews the new Supra while also reviewing a Rivian the next day and thanks such and such dealership during the review. Looking for stuff like this:

Or just anything where the guys reviewing seem to actually love sports cars.

I watch a few here and there.

automobilistic does some great car history videos, mainly on obscure cars featured in Gran Turismo games.
Regular Car Reviews does some rather frightening but hilarious reviews of normal cars, especially 1990's American hand-me-downs.
Donut Media does some decent videos here and there - really good production quality, sometimes the presenters can be a little obnoxious.
Ed's Auto Reviews does stories on the history of cars which are worth watching too.

Afraid I can't recommend much to do with new cars - can't say they interest me.

JayEmm on Cars
Auto Alex
Car Throttle
The late brake show
Drivetribe
Mighty car mods

All ones I follow and watch and find them to be very entertaining viewing.

Last edited:
Mighty Car Mods
JayEmm On Cars
Auto Alex
Jay Leno's Garage
Doug DeMuro
Car Throttle
The Smoking Tyre
Hoovie's Garage

Can anyone recommend any car YTers that aren't like...total dorks? Feel like if I search sports car videos on YT the algorithm ends up hammering me with the same type of YTer that reviews the new Supra while also reviewing a Rivian the next day and thanks such and such dealership during the review. Looking for stuff like this:

Or just anything where the guys reviewing seem to actually love sports cars.

Can you elaborate at all on what's bothering you? Being a "dork" and reviewing a Rivian or a car on loan from a dealership doesn't seem to narrow it down for me. Doug Demuro, Throttle House, Car Throttle, and probably some of those other youtube channels are all dorks that take cars on loan. But I think they also all genuinely love sports cars.

Most of the ones I can think have been mostly mentioned, but another favorite would be SavageGeese. Quite like their engineering walkthroughs and their humor is great.

Some others I can think of:
MotoManTV
Everyday Driver
(Also their TestDrive subchannel)
PistonHeads
AutoTrader UK
(If you don't mind Rory Reid, but they've also got other hosts)
CollectingCars (Mostly if you're craving Chris Harris videos outside of Top Gear)

I also quite enjoy Gears and Gasoline for car culture things, mostly racing and build videos.

For more everyday car tests I really like Hubnut, Furious Driving and Idriveaclassic; but from time to time sports cars too (tbh everyday cars are probably their main focus and are better tested and less biased probably). Big Car (lol I know cringy name), Ruairidh MacVeigh and My Old Car make very good car documentaries but again mostly everyday stuff and flops. However occasional sports car story is good because these people actually know how to make interesting and deeper story not just throw memes around.

EDIT fixed grammar and added words

Last edited:
Can you elaborate at all on what's bothering you? Being a "dork" and reviewing a Rivian or a car on loan from a dealership doesn't seem to narrow it down for me. Doug Demuro, Throttle House, Car Throttle, and probably some of those other youtube channels are all dorks that take cars on loan. But I think they also all genuinely love sports cars.
Guess you could pretty much generalize it as a "Doug Demuro Type".

Not sure what exactly you're wanting out of a car channel, as there are so many ways to enjoy car content. Car reviews, project build series, etc. Here are some of my favorites, in no order:

savagegeese
- Mostly modern car reviews, which I normally wouldn't care about, but these guys are hilarious. Their reviews are much more in-depth than most others as well; they often talk to the engineers to give you a proper look at the mechanical aspect of a vehicle. They occasionally do spotlights on older enthusiast cars as well.

The Chronicles
- The host has been a well-known photographer in the import tuner scene for quite a while now. He predominantly covers JDM cars at large, with a specialty in Honda. With his move to YouTube, he uses more of a vlog style (while thankfully not making sure his face is in every shot) to share what he gets up to within the tuner side of car culture. Large car shows in America; frequent trips to Japan to look at their own shows, tuning shops, and car culture (his videos covering Japan's highway racing crews are his most popular); as well as project cars going on with him and his own friends.

Narita Dogfight
- I believe this guy is actually based in the same business park as The Chronicles... or was at one point, I can't remember. But he's another automotive photographer, focusing solely on Japanese time attack. Most of his content is filmed at tracks in Japan.

Larry Chen
- Possibly the most famous automotive photographer? Former Speedhunters contributor. Much like The Chronicles, but for a broader demographic, he covers car culture at large. Tons of custom build features.

Hagerty
- Recently the insurance company has become something of a new Motor Trend, where they're bringing together a lot of international automotive journalist talent to put together multiple very well-produced series.

The Carmudgeon Show
- Car podcast. Very rarely do they have guests, but these two are extremely knowledgeable about cars and car history, so every episode is entertaining and educational. Very much a podcast for serious car nerds.

ISSIMI Official
- I watch this channel for Derek from Carmudgeon; he reviews the uber classics we all dream of driving but know we never will. NSX Type R, recently a Stratos, Ferrari F50, Delta Integrale, etc. Also former home of The Carmudgeon Show.

Petrolicious
- Owners of classic and otherwise significant enthusiast cars share their stories. Very well produced.

Stanceworks
- Probably not what it sounds like; this isn't about cars with ten degrees of unusable camber. It's a build channel for people who enjoy watching fabrication. He's the guy who built the Honda-swapped Ferrari 308. Mike is also big into photography, so the production is up there.

Slip Angle
- Mostly project cars (he owns several: NB Miata, FD RX-7, RX-8, S2000, Z4M Coupe, and others), with some more highly-produced enthusiast car features thrown in. The main guy is an ex Spec Miata racer, so there's some real credibility to his opinion on a car's handling.

Speed Academy
- Predominantly project cars, organized into their own focused build series. They're not kids, so there's no over the top personalities to suffer through.

Ronald Finger
- This guy made a long, incredible series restoring a Pontiac Fiero, which is what got me hooked. I don't even care that much about Fieros, but his videos are just that enjoyable to watch. Now he's starting on an old Nissan Z.

Bad Obsession Motorsport
- Have you heard of Project Binky? Two Brits building a classic Mini underpinned by a complete Celica GT-Four drivetrain. Content is heavy on fabrication detail, but I live for that stuff. The project is nearing the end, so if you're starting from the beginning, you won't have to suffer as badly over their infamous months-long gaps between updates.

Matt's Offroad Recovery
- Enjoy watching people who got their cars stuck in places they shouldn't be get pulled out? It's that, but also lots of rescuing serious off-roaders when things go wrong.

Last edited:
JayEmm on Cars is the only one I watch anymore as most of the others have devolved into the same gimmicky stuff that video game Vtubers went through about a decade ago.

He's a great watch, and he covers such a wide range of things as well, his recent uploads show the kind of breadth he covers, Ferrari 488, Jaguar XJR, 2006 Audi A6 TDI, Honda Civic EP2, Lotus Emira.

Just really like his style, he, AutoAlex and Mighty Car Mods are absolute essential viewing for me.

I think Speed Academy is the best one out there in terms of modifying cars. I just wish they would expand their portfolio* a bit and drive them more...

*They modify Japanese cars and BMWs almost exclusively. Very rarely they'll do something else.

Throttle House - Honestly fun but not in a way that feels like it's overly referential to that one car show. Too many auto vloggers lean really heavily on Clarkson-esque similes that feel very cringe to me (Looking at you EverydayDriver & Jayemm)

Savageese I go back and forth on. I find jack to be really annoying and they position themselves as a kind of authority figure but frequently get stuff wrong. That said, they go far more into technical details than anyone else.

Harry's Garage is good but he can be overly sentimental.

I like anything that Henry Catchpole does, cars or bicycles.

I like Matt Farah and The Smoking Tire, but their one-take videos aren't as fun or frequent as they used to be, Zach always feels a bit forced, and their more edited videos aren't that well done in a way that makes them distracting.

Windingroad/The Topher offers a simple and impressively deep catalog of POV driving videos, but not much more than that.

Pretty bored with The Straight Pipes, Yuri barely seems interested anymore and I generally dislike their perspective. Nobody cares about satellite radio rewinding!

I'll check in with Hoonigan every now and then, just to see what they're up to but I find them highly annoying overall.

I also want to give a special mention to Nicole Johnson, one very few female automotive youtubers with class and doesn't resort to obvious clickbait tactics. I think she would do really good one-take videos since her reactions and such seem honest yet still very expressive. She has charisma for sure.

Last edited:
Harry’s Garage or anything Henry Catchpole does for me. Henry was doing Carfection but it’s gone under. I believe he’s doing films for Hagerty now.

Other than them, Leno’s Garage or CuratedTV which revolves around their Miami dealer inventory (mainly 90s supercars/historic Lamborghinis) or John’s stories about his history with the cars.

Last edited:
Back