Any info on what the differences will be between PS5 and PS4 versions?

• Thread starter isamu
  • 54 comments
Maybe eliminated is a bit of an exaggeration but in comparison to Sport id say its pretty much accurate.. its extremely hard to find unless looking for it.
There were a couple of instances that stuck out to me on first watch, but I tend to notice it more than most. It is greatly reduced and that's a good thing. It's good enough to say that hard pop-in seems greatly reduced and the LOD transitions seem to be in general much further away from the player to the extent that they're not distracting in most real life gameplay situations. That's already better than a lot of games without the need for exaggeration.

Read a interview yesterday, Yamauchi said that the PS4 version will have relatively worse graphics than PS5 version. Other elements of the game are similar on both consoles.
hopefully it still looks good, maybe a GTS+. Either way I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm just excited to do a story mode kind of thing again. Hopefully the 1,500,000 credits is an optional code with the pre-order, so I can start off with no credits.

Maybe eliminated is a bit of an exaggeration but in comparison to Sport id say its pretty much accurate.. its extremely hard to find unless looking for it.
Ive watched that gameplay video multiple times and the popin or lack of was a huge plus for me. I absolutely hate it in Sport and all games in general.
Agree, which is why I'm not too fussed about these little 'detail' things, if they literally took GT Sport as it is and just upgraded the "under the hood" stuff (physics, tyre model, physical & mechanical damage etc) I'd be a very happy boy. Ray tracing in replays...I mean, cool I guess?

I do appreciate some of what they've gone for. The new camera bobble in the Deep Forest video does make the whole thing feel quite authentic...but how many serious players are going to use it? Not many.

Last edited:
Agree, which is why I'm not too fussed about these little 'detail' things, if they literally took GT Sport as it is and just upgraded the "under the hood" stuff (physics, tyre model, physical & mechanical damage etc) I'd be a very happy boy. Ray tracing in replays...I mean, cool I guess?

I do appreciate some of what they've gone for. The new camera bobble in the Deep Forest video does make the whole thing feel quite authentic...but how many serious players are going to use it? Not many.
I'm guessing you've never played any new Gen games. As good as Sport looked at the time it looks rough compared to native PS5 titles.

I'm guessing you've never played any new Gen games. As good as Sport looked at the time it looks rough compared to native PS5 titles.
I have, and I don't think any other PS5 racing game looks better. ACC and AMS 2 on PC edge it out, but that's it really.

I have, and I don't think any other PS5 racing game looks better. ACC and AMS 2 on PC edge it out, but that's it really.

Yeah well I wasn't talking about racing games specifically but when driving in Watch Dogs Legion for example the picture is much more clear with higher quality backgrounds, cleaner edges, and longer draw distances.

hopefully it still looks good, maybe a GTS+. Either way I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm just excited to do a story mode kind of thing again. Hopefully the 1,500,000 credits is an optional code with the pre-order, so I can start off with no credits.
Yeah, I'm totally OK if GT7 is simply GTS with a Gran Turismo mode.

- without dropping any quality? Either a bad translation or an outright lie. Obviously the quality will drop but by how much?
This is about the general assumption that developing for more than one platform at a time will effect the quality of development of the game as resources are being spread across 2 platforms rather than one. What this is saying they found they could make both versions of the game without it effecting the quality and development of the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game.

Let's be realistic here, the fact that GT7 will be available on the PS4 is hugely disappointing. Yes, I imagine the graphics can be scaled greatly but when we're discussing the more fundamental areas (AI logic, physics, car limit, etc) this is where the game will be severely limited in order to apply to ancient hardware.

This game was sold as a next-gen game (which is one of the reasons why I purchased a PS5). We're yet to hear what the differences will be between the two versions. I can't see them being very different other than graphical fidelity to be honest and that is hugely disappointing.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any information on how CPU taxing this really is? I have no idea, but wouldn't be surprised if it isn't very taxing, or the opposite.
It's incredibly taxing, unfortunately. That's why AI cars all run simplified versions of the physics model compared to the player.

PS4 games can be scaled up but ps5 games can’t be scaled down. Says it all. There’s no doubt a ps5 version would be superior but it’s completely understandable as a business decision why it’s cross gen. The bits we’ve seen have already shown the graphical upgrade is pretty iterative over sport. The Matrix Awakens has completely reset the benchmark for next gen.

Yeah, I don’t buy the taxing thing. If PD aren’t modelling great trees, not modelling detailed tracks surface, not modelling accurate physics, etc. How can the AI have been a burden to program, for the past three games?

GT has just now got a livery editor to render(at lower resolution) for Sport Mode. Again, track details that aren’t that detailed(gets brought up in these discussions). No time of day transition and no weather change. Why are other games doing it without looking like GT? I know there is an AI thread, but PD putting all their eggs in the car graphic detail basket, is what’s taxing.

I just hope that crossplay doesn't mean there'll be no dynamic time/weather at all in online modes. I don't need crossplay at all and I'd love to see PS5-only lobbies with maybe 30 players or just for better loading times. But here we are, hopefully they can manage a GT8 before PS6.

F1 2021 looks almost same.
What The Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Once again, other developers did better AI than GT6 and GTS on the PS2 hardware. That isn't the primary limitation of better AI, it's PD and their priorities.
You're not wrong to be honest, I actually agree with you.

What are your thoughts on the current footage that is available? I've watched the Deep Forest Raceway video quite a few times and I'm somewhat impressed. The aggressiveness, the ability for them to trade places, the awareness, it all looks somewhat respectable. The question is how they handle battling the player, how they handle endurance races, the level of artificial banding, etc.

Haven't played GT in many, many, many years so I have no idea how the existing games were. Just wonder what you guys think when playing the old games and then looking at the new footage.

Haven't played GT in many, many, many years so I have no idea how the existing games were. Just wonder what you guys think when playing the old games and then looking at the new footage.
There's definitely some improvements to be seen (eg. the AI actually trading places instead of holding one place for the whole race, slightly more aggressive too), though the video also shows a few of the tell-tale bad behaviour of GT AI too, like cars braking mid corner or on the apex of a corner.

Hopefully we learn more about the AI sooner rather than later - bringing back the progression from older GT games but continuing to feature the same braindead AI from said games would be a pretty awful move.

There's definitely some improvements to be seen (eg. the AI actually trading places instead of holding one place for the whole race, slightly more aggressive too), though the video also shows a few of the tell-tale bad behaviour of GT AI too, like cars braking mid corner or on the apex of a corner.

Hopefully we learn more about the AI sooner rather than later - bringing back the progression from older GT games but continuing to feature the same braindead AI from said games would be a pretty awful move.
Braking to avoid running into another car or just for the fun of it?

I would be satisfied with graphics on PS4 Pro that are on par with GT Sport. GT Sport's graphics are amazing even today, particularly on my 32 inch 4K monitor.

I would be satisfied with graphics on PS4 Pro that are on par with GT Sport. GT Sport's graphics are amazing even today, particularly on my 32 inch 4K monitor.
I’m thinking you’ll be right. My gut is telling me you’ll see the extra horsepower of the PS5 in single player mode. By way of dynamic weather and such. I just don’t see sport mode or FIA implementing dynamic weather unless they are willing to lengthen the races. Fwiw, I hope they do!

I think where PD is willing to sacrifice frame rates and/or features, is a base PS4 in single player mode.

To my knowledge, PD has never guaranteed that all features are going to be available for all consoles right? Not to mention, they’re 2 SEPERATE downloads right?

I’m thinking you’ll be right. My gut is telling me you’ll see the extra horsepower of the PS5 in single player mode. By way of dynamic weather and such. I just don’t see sport mode or FIA implementing dynamic weather unless they are willing to lengthen the races. Fwiw, I hope they do!

I think where PD is willing to sacrifice frame rates and/or features, is a base PS4 in single player mode.

To my knowledge, PD has never guaranteed that all features are going to be available for all consoles right? Not to mention, they’re 2 SEPERATE downloads right?

They have said there will be feature parity at least at launch.

Back