Any info on what the differences will be between PS5 and PS4 versions?

• Thread starter isamu
  • 54 comments

isamu

(Banned)
Given what we know so far, besides the loading times, what differences can we expect between the two versions graphically? I mean, I'm still rocking a 1080P display, and have no plans to upgrade to a 4K one any time soon. Can we at least expect 1080P 60fps for the PS4 version? How scaled back will it be? Will any corners be cut in your opinion? If you were me and had a 1080p display with no plans to upgrade to 4K, would you even consider the PS5 version?

No one knows but given how the physics, weather, and lighting are all improved over Sport I expect it to play at maybe 45fps on PS4 and probably below 1080p native resolution. All the pop-in you see in Sport will likely be eliminated in GT7 on PS5 but present in the PS4 version. I expect anti-aliasing and car detail improvements in the PS5 version as well. There is also 3D audio and haptic feedback on PS5.

I would say to expect something like a slightly improved GT Sport, running at 1080p. No ray-tracing anywhere and LOD switches happening sooner than on PS5 to prevent framerate drops.

Otherwise, they will be the same, feature-wise, and have the same framerate. You can't have fair competition between PS4 and PS5 if there is no feature parity, at least in Sport Mode. Equal framerate is also a must, for fair competition, as the lower the framerate, the higher the input lag.

I would say to expect something like a slightly improved GT Sport, running at 1080p. No ray-tracing anywhere and LOD switches happening sooner than on PS5 to prevent framerate drops.

Otherwise, they will be the same, feature-wise, and have the same framerate. You can't have fair competition between PS4 and PS5 if there is no feature parity, at least in Sport Mode. Equal framerate is also a must, for fair competition, as the lower the framerate, the higher the input lag.

That would give an even playing field but the PS4 is only capable of so much. People run different frame rates on PC sims and understand you get what you pay for in terms of hardware capability.

That would give an even playing field but the PS4 is only capable of so much. People run different frame rates on PC sims and understand you get what you pay for in terms of hardware capability.
The PC situation is unique because there are so many different possible hardware combinations, that you can't reasonably ask a developer to make sure a game runs a certain way, in all those possible combinations. They'll narrow it down, to a sample of representative machines, and optimize for that. Outside of that, then yes, the person has to come to terms with their self-imposed hardware limitations.

However, PD only has 2 machines/hardware combinations to optimize for, 3 if you want to be specific. They don't have the same excuse.

I think people are really thirsty for truly next-gen games, that will completely blow their minds, but they must realize the unique global situations around this generation's launch, and realize there will be a transition period. You'll have to wait for GT8, for the full-fat experience. They also must realize improvements are becoming evolutionary, rather than revolutionary. I think we're past the days of PS1 to PS2, and PS2 to PS3, where the latter ones made the former ones look obsolete, instead of just dated.

The PC situation is unique because there are so many different possible hardware combinations, that you can't reasonably ask a developer to make sure a game runs a certain way, in all those possible combinations. They'll narrow it down, to a sample of representative machines, and optimize for that. Outside of that, then yes, the person has to come to terms with their self-imposed hardware limitations.

However, PD only has 2 machines/hardware combinations to optimize for, 3 if you want to be specific. They don't have the same excuse.

I think people are really thirsty for truly next-gen games, that will completely blow their minds, but they must realize the unique global situations around this generation's launch, and realize there will be a transition period. You'll have to wait for GT8, for the full-fat experience. They also must realize improvements are becoming evolutionary, rather than revolutionary. I think we're past the days of PS1 to PS2, and PS2 to PS3, where the latter ones made the former ones look obsolete, instead of just dated.
What I've heard is that they only decided to have a PS4 version late in development so I expect there will be large cutbacks and probably uneven performance since they are essentially back porting the game to older hardware.

Last edited:
What I've heard is that they only decided to have a PS4 version late in development so I expect there will be large cutbacks and probably uneven performance since they are essentially back porting the game to older hardware.
According to GTPlanet's own interview, with Yamauchi, about GT7:
“In a racing game, you can adjust the level of detail. Technology wise, it is a very scalable game in terms of maintaining the frame rate and everything else,” Yamauchi said. “We found that we were able to make a PS4 version and a PS5 version without dropping any quality, so that’s why we decided to do both at the same time.”
Apparently, the possibility of a PS4 release was always in their minds. You know, they always had two games per generation, so they may have had plans to have one more, before moving to the next system. From that quote, I would say they started making a game that could work on both, then Sony said they would go straight to PS5, then shortages and scalping happened and Sony changed their stance back to a cross-gen release.

You actually believe that?

Yes. It makes total sense when you think about the unforeseen supply constraints. We will find out when it ships. I doubt there will be much if any pre-release hands on with the last Gen version.

"According to GTPlanet's own interview, with Yamauchi, about GT7:
“In a racing game, you can adjust the level of detail. Technology wise, it is a very scalable game in terms of maintaining the frame rate and everything else,” Yamauchi said. “We found that we were able to make a PS4 version and a PS5 version without dropping any quality, so that’s why we decided to do both at the same time

Apparently, the possibility of a PS4 release was always in their minds. You know, they always had two games per generation, so they may have had plans to have one more, before moving to the next system. From that quote, I would say they started making a game that could work on both, then Sony said they would go straight to PS5, then shortages and scalping happened and Sony changed their stance back to a cross-gen release."

- without dropping any quality? Either a bad translation or an outright lie. Obviously the quality will drop but by how much?

Last edited:
- without dropping any quality? Either a bad translation or an outright lie
I believe in Eurogamer's interview, he said that the quality between the two will be different.

Kind of a weird flip-flop he did, really. =/

(...)We will find out when it ships. I doubt there will be much if any pre-release hands on with the last Gen version.
One could, perhaps, say they don't need to show any last-gen footage because there already is a very comprehensive 'demo' available on PS4.
- without dropping any quality? Either a bad translation or an outright lie. Obviously the quality will drop but by how much?
It's true that things can get lost in translation, but the full paragraph does offer extra clarification:
“In a racing game, you can adjust the level of detail. Technology wise, it is a very scalable game in terms of maintaining the frame rate and everything else,”
If adjustments to detail are being made, it's implied that all versions won't be exactly the same. What Yamauchi is trying to say, I think, is that there will be differences, but none of them jarring or immediately noticeable. The cars and environments will look good on both, the framerate will be the same, the new dynamic features will be available on both. However, they will use scalability techniques to adjust rendering resolution, the model LODs and the resolution of effects in less powerful hardware.

Going a bit back to the OPs question, since he's playing on a 1080p display, chances are he's not going to notice those graphical differences that easily.

Last edited:
For sure there will be a (visible)difference between PS5 and PS4 version of the game and also faster loading times etc.

One could, perhaps, say they don't need to show any last-gen footage because there already is a very comprehensive 'demo' available on PS4.

It's true that things can get lost in translation, but the full paragraph does offer extra clarification:

If adjustments to detail are being made, it's implied that all versions won't be exactly the same. What Yamauchi is trying to say, I think, is that there will be differences, but none of them jarring or immediately noticeable. The cars and environments will look good on both, the framerate will be the same, the new dynamic features will be available on both. However, they will use scalability techniques to adjust rendering resolution, the model LODs and the resolution of effects in less powerful hardware.

Going a bit back to the OPs question, since he's playing on a 1080p display, chances are he's not going to notice those graphical differences that easily.
You're implying that Sport is a demo of the performance of 7. I don't see that being the case. There are huge differences in how the lighting and weather are being handled and probably a lot of other changes under the hood that aren't as obvious.

Between exaggerations and bad translations we really can't take Kaz's word on anything of a technical nature like this. Too many times those problems have led to things he's said being totally incorrect.

All we can do is wait for PS4 footage or if not, when it's properly play tested by 3rd parties.

Between exaggerations and bad translations we really can't take Kaz's word on anything of a technical nature like this. Too many times those problems have led to things he's said being totally incorrect.

All we can do is wait for PS4 footage or if not, when it's properly play tested by 3rd parties.
Hopefully Digital Foundry and the like get early code so that we don't end up with a Cyberpunk situation where the lower grade hardware was a disaster but no one knew about it until after launch.

We already have PS4 online games with enhanced framerates and resolutions that benefit PS4 Pro owners. I suspect we will see PS4 have a target 60fps but often missing the mark and that Pro and PS5 versions will be locked at 60fps.

If I was playing this on a PS5 though I'd be extremely disappointed if Polyphony did not offer a 120fps mode.

We already have PS4 online games with enhanced framerates and resolutions that benefit PS4 Pro owners. I suspect we will see PS4 have a target 60fps but often missing the mark and that Pro and PS5 versions will be locked at 60fps.

If I was playing this on a PS5 though I'd be extremely disappointed if Polyphony did not offer a 120fps mode.
It's been years since digital foundry has give more than a sentence or two to base PS4 or Xbox S. They have become an afterthought for devs.

Well, at least at launch, if you were playing on PS5, you'd be extremely disappointed.
https://www.gtplanet.net/more-gran-turismo-7-details-20210917/
According to an interview with Japanese language outlet Game Watch, GT7 will make partial use of one feature but — at least for the time being — not the other.

Yamauchi told Game Watch that PD has “no plans to support 120fps at the time of the release of GT7” and doesn’t know if it’s something coming to the game in the future.
It's Yamauchi, so it may be inaccurate, but not looking good for 120 fps, at the moment.

It's been years since digital foundry has give more than a sentence or two to base PS4 or Xbox S.
That's just a lie.

The Forza Horizon 5 coverage had an entire video dedicated to the comparison between X1S/X1X/XSS/XSX. Cyberpunk had significant coverage of the lower consoles just because they were so bad. I don't watch heaps of their stuff, but whenever a game is cross console they seem to do comparisons between the hardware because they know it's relevant to people.

If you don't watch Digital Foundry, just say so.

It's been years since digital foundry has give more than a sentence or two to base PS4 or Xbox S. They have become an afterthought for devs.

They do when applicable, what the hell is this garbage?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the guy that knows absolutely nothing about FWD cars and understeer would say something so moronic.

Straight from store.playstation.com

PlayStation®5 features:
  • Catch sight of the driver in your rear-view mirror and watch the sun glint against the curves of your car’s body, with support for 4K and HDR at a targeted 60fps framerate.* You can also take stunningly realistic photos with the power of ray tracing on PS5™.
  • Feel the vibration from the anti-lock brake system and wheel spins, and variation in the braking resistance of each different car, all through the adaptive triggers of your DualSense™ wireless controller.
  • From the subtle bumps of the tarmac to the grooves of the kerb, feel your position on the road through immersive haptic feedback.
  • Sense the position of other cars and drivers on the road with unparalleled clarity through the PS5 console’s 3D Audio.**
*4K and HDR features require a compatible 4K and HDR TV or display.
**3D audio with stereo headphones (analogue or USB).

Anyway, even if you're using the 1080p display exclusively, that doesn't mean there is no visible difference between PS5 and PS4. Usually there is a noticable difference on 1080p display.

One (arcane) thing to consider is that GT 7 might have FoV options on PS5 that can't be done on PS4. Wide FoV can lower framerate considerably. Although they have not confirmed anything like that yet.

Ironically, I only want FoV options to NARROW it, I just want a dashboard camera with no wheel/hands visible. Think a lot of wheel users can relate.

Really hope the PS4 version is good, I just bought a used PS4 Pro just for GT7. I remember reading about Gran Turismo 7 originally being developed for the PS4 and only started developing it for the PS5 in 2017.

Read an interview yesterday, Yamauchi said that the PS4 version will have relatively worse graphics than PS5 version. Other elements of the game are similar on both consoles.

Last edited:
I mean, we saw on the Deep Forest video that they haven't eliminated pop-in. It's reduced, but it's not gone.
Maybe eliminated is a bit of an exaggeration but in comparison to Sport id say its pretty much accurate.. its extremely hard to find unless looking for it.
Ive watched that gameplay video multiple times and the popin or lack of was a huge plus for me. I absolutely hate it in Sport and all games in general.

The gameplay of deep forest had some strange refection bug in the tunnel and i think under the bridge at the start/end?
It made it look like the lod was changing when it wasnt.
Im sure thats sorted anyway.

Last edited:
Back