Anybody still playing Project Gotham series?

A feature I haven't seen from any other game is the environment having a effect on car sound.

In Nurburgring, the euro city tracks and the Michelin race track you car hear the car echo in the distance *If volume is set to 3 or lower*. While on Vegas and the other night tracks the Intake sound will create a echo warpy acoustic effect, especially if you double tap the accelerator *Idk how to explain it but that's what it visually looks like in a audio program*. and NY just sounds more racecar-like.

I've tested everycar in the game and only noticed this effect with: F1 LM and CLK-GTR SS, it's strongest with the CLK.

The CLK-GTR sounds quite different when using these camera angles on these particular tracks. I can try to film examples later; but on Vegas it has a unique acoustic effect from 5600-6600 RPMs, while New York has a different effect at the same RPMs. I only noticed the effect because I use the sound of the car to mod into other games and was fiddling around with the properties of said sounds.

The properties of alot of the cars are very unique

tTdktaJ.jpg

kdk0xzY.jpg

Another unique feature speaking of sounds is the cars making the same sounds they make IRL with crackles and pops being heard every once in awhile with certain cars. Like the CLK-GTR you can actually hear the gears *click* at random points when shifting sometimes and with the F1-LM you can hear this aswell. I've only hear the effect on:

Panoz GTR-1
DBR-9
RGT Murcielago
F50-GT
F1 LM *Kinda frequently*
CLK-GTR SuperSport
FXX *Only heard it once with this car*

One of the RUF cars, the C class one I think the RGT but only when a flame pops out the exhaust.
Murcielago LP640

Here you can hear it when they shift to 3rd gear:

Hear you can hear the same effect but it's kind of faint:

And on the F1 LM it's audible from the 4th gear on up here:

There's no audio that i'm aware of that has the F1 LM going full tilt but I can't imagine it would sound different.

Would love to see footage or hear audio of the cars going full-tilt on a dyno like the F50 GT, afaik there are only pics of the F1 LM on the dyno.

Excellent post. Thank you 👍

I should mention that I picked up PGR 3 and 4 a few weeks ago, having wanted to play them for years now. I wanted to get the first two as well (the store had them) but I didn’t want to play them knowing the issues the 360 has with running them and I didn’t want to go out of my way for an original Xbox.

I’ve played through both of them now to platinum (with the exception of 4’s bike races at the Nurburgring as part of arcade mode). Needless to say I was hooked the whole time, even if some of the challenges were mildly frustrating. They were some of the most exciting racing games I’ve played in a while. The cities looked stunning; the cars drove very well; the bikes in 4 were easy to get used to. I don’t usually care about sound but I have to admit that the sound design was something else. PGR 4 especially felt like it hit the mark with great variety in vehicles and vehicle-specific gauges on the HUD.

If there’s one thing that I’m disappointed in it’s that I can no longer get the DLC. From the little I’ve researched on it, it looks like PGR 4’s challenge packs (one free and one paid with ten additional vehicles) looked interesting to say the least. I’d want to say that 4’s lack of Nissan sucks but the rest of the car/bike list more than makes up for it.

I just ran into this stereoscopic pic i took from PGR4 (photo shot from my TV as the Microsoft capture software didn't work on X360 debug consoles for that game). I didn't remember it had this, probably just in photo mode. This is from a review version disc, but i don't see why it wouldn't be in the final game.
PGR4_ScreenReview2_ 042.jpg

I looked at it with my old cardboard red-blue glasses, it's very blurry, but there's depth.

From the sales figures i saw from french market back then, sales of that PGR were pretty low.
Too challenging games are considered a niche, Turn 10 and PlayGround Game have abandoned the field.

Last edited:
^Good post, it made me take a look at the photomode aswell.

The car models are surprisingly well done for 2006/7
fh9B5O9.png

BKNfx7U.png

4ZFOue8.png

l6WHKcl.png

iLEOfP0.png

Evgd20F.png

7Om99BO.png

JNsCurA.png

Wish it was possible to read the chassis plate, it would possibly give an idea of what car they recorded for the game but I have a feeling it was 01/25 due to that being what I assume was the easiest to come across.

Also love how the car sounds at lower RPMs

Played 3 and 4 recently.

3 was consistently hard while 4 was easier in general but that those brutal bike events at the Nürburgring.

Ended up standing 7th or 9th in the leaderborads of the Nürburgring in reverse event as a reward after a lot struggle.

Last edited:
After ~3 months of attempts, I finally got the platinum for PGR4’s Nürburgring Behemoth reverse race on a bike (warning: long write-up ahead).

58BD14A5-5EBB-4335-A4A5-9680EE542B78.jpeg

I first tried using the Hayabusa because I thought its speed would let it keep up with the Ferraris on the straights (note: I had used it for the platinum at the Nordschleife wet race), but the turns proved to be too much for it.

After switching to the GSXR1000, I noticed that its acceleration could catch up to the F50 by the first turn, so my strategy was to pass it at the turn and block it on Dottinger-Hohe (the long straight) until the FXX passed me. Once I caught back up to the FXX, it was just a matter of staying on the road.

But I got pretty deep into the grass ~4 minutes in after overshooting a corner, which let the Ferraris pass me. Luckily, I got closer to them by the time I re-entered the GP circuit, but this wasn’t to last because I found myself back into the grass after overshooting the chicane. With the Ferraris battling, I caught back up by the arena section and made the winning pass at the hairpin.

The Kudos I earned was good for 16th on the leaderboard:

image.jpg

108 arcade mode platinums plus 36 Gotham Career events won:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I remember being able to fix PGR2’s backwards compatibility issues by manually installing it’s 1.2 patch and DLC content on a modded 360, the black screen was gone, had all the dlc cars and the game ran pretty well but it used to suffer from frame drops whenever I tried to race in sydney.

I suspect the licensing for pgr and rallisport is in some sort of limbo what with the companies involved being defunct.

But yes, I mean Forza has the crown now so to speak and the crown is often heavy to wear.

They could get a lot of kudos (lol) by doing both PGR5 and Rallisport 3 on Xbox current gen. But then nostalgia doesnt always sell and racing isnt what it used to be.

I suspect the licensing for pgr and rallisport is in some sort of limbo what with the companies involved being defunct.

But yes, I mean Forza has the crown now so to speak and the crown is often heavy to wear.

They could get a lot of kudos (lol) by doing both PGR5 and Rallisport 3 on Xbox current gen. But then nostalgia doesnt always sell and racing isnt what it used to be.
Exactly my sentiment.

Found these images awhile ago on a page of one of the car modelers for Project Gotham Racing, was probably due to time constraints but really wish they went with the pillar mirrors like chassis #01 seeing as the car is obviously modeled after it even has the missing badges like chassis #01 which IMO this kind of confirms my suspicions that #01 was the car they dyno tested for the game.

CLK-GTR-1200-Render-Top.jpg

CLK-GTR-1200-Render-Bottom-Right.jpg

CLK-GTR-1200-Render-Bottom-Left.jpg

Been playing a ton of PGR3 lately. So much fun. It’s nice playing a racing game where there are no upgrades or perks etc. just jump in a car and drive. I love the garages and just walking around admiring my rides. I’ve just unlocked the Manor which I believe is the six or seventh garage. Can anyone tell me how many more there are to unlock?? I don’t remember from when I played it when it first came out.

It’s been so long but still the graphics hold up quite well as do the sounds.

2 is my favourite, it's the perfect evolution from MSR into something that (for 2003 or whatever) was pretty much perfection. I love the circuits, the graphics still stand up quite well, the solid handling, the difficulty seems perfectly tuned, the whole aesthetic of it. A special special game. I have an OG Xbox still and it's the first game I go to when I (rarely) get it out.

3 was a great tech demo for the 360 and such an enjoyable game in its own right, there are parts of 3 (the car list, I'm thinking) that I think are maybe the best of the best but it's just not as special as PGR2 for me, and 4 ditto despite objectively maybe being the BEST of the series. That's how I'd see it - 4 is the best but has lost a little of the character that made the early games so special, 2 is my favourite.

Such a shame there was never another after 4 although I think Driveclub ticked many of the same boxes.

Back