Anyone compared the GT5P F1 car to F1:CE?

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 4 comments
Personally, while the F2007 in GT5P is visually stunning (the detail in the steering wheel is fantastic!), and amazingly immersive sounds... although my wife still complains that modern F1 cars all sound like annoyingly loud mosquitoes. :D

Playing GT5P connected to a quality 7.1 sound system with a top notch subwoofer(s) is a truly unmatched experience compared to other video games!

That said, the F2007 in GT5P feels unnaturally grippy. Granted, I've never driven an F1 car in real life, but the fact that in GT5P with Professional physics, I can go over 200 MPH running along the inside of the track at Daytona Speedway without any banking and never for a moment feel the car getting lose seems completely impossible to me.

I suspect/hope, that PD/Kaz added the F2007 as an after thought "bonus" car, and likely didn't give it as much time or attention regarding accurate physics? That, or maybe they purposefully made it with unnaturally good grip to make it the "ultimate" treat for GT5P players to play around with?

For me, again, not having any experience driving an F1 car, it seems to me that the physics in F1CE appear to be spot on... at least as spot on as one can hope for a console game with an unfortunately small user base (I still feel F1CE is the most underrated gem among sim-style driving games).

Still, it’s a comparison that's very difficult to make, at least for me.

BTW: Speaking of Ferrari F1 cars, I got a letter from RM Auctions last week and Ferrari will be hosting another "Leggenda e Passione" auction on May 18th and will be selling several prominent race cars including Schumacher's F2000, their '97 F310B F1 car, their '95 F1 412 F1 car, and their '87 F1/87 F1 car, among others.

At last year's event they sold several F1 cars as well including the same F2006 featured in this (F1CE) game. 👍

Personally, while the F2007 in GT5P is visually stunning (the detail in the steering wheel is fantastic!), and amazingly immersive sounds... although my wife still complains that modern F1 cars all sound like annoyingly loud mosquitoes.

Playing GT5P connected to a quality 7.1 sound system with a top notch subwoofer(s) is a truly unmatched experience compared to other video games!

That said, the F2007 in GT5P feels unnaturally grippy. Granted, I've never driven an F1 car in real life, but the fact that in GT5P with Professional physics, I can go over 200 MPH running along the inside of the track at Daytona Speedway without any banking and never for a moment feel the car getting lose seems completely impossible to me.

I suspect/hope, that PD/Kaz added the F2007 as an after thought "bonus" car, and likely didn't give it as much time or attention regarding accurate physics? That, or maybe they purposefully made it with unnaturally good grip to make it the "ultimate" treat for GT5P players to play around with?

For me, again, not having any experience driving an F1 car, it seems to me that the physics in F1CE appear to be spot on... at least as spot on as one can hope for a console game with an unfortunately small user base (I still feel F1CE is the most underrated gem among sim-style driving games).

Still, it’s a comparison that's very difficult to make, at least for me.

Yeah, the GT5P cockpits in general look really good - nice hands! - compared to the rather flat F1:CE cockpits.

I know it's hard to judge the F1 physics - the cars are so unlike anything else out there with their extreme downforce, low center of gravity & fat tires. I've always thought that it's too easy to mash the throttle in F1:CE, even without traction on). Surely with the amount of power going to the wheels that would induce severe wheel spin?

The characteristic feel of F1:CE is that you can push the cars very hard, but when they go, they go with no warning - I'm guessing that it's somewhat like that IRL F1 racing.

I agree that F1:CE is hugely underrated. In spite of the fact that the physics is now pretty good in GT5P, so that driving the cars is a very immersive experience, the actual gameplay remains ridiculous. Having to overtake 15 cars in a one, two or three lap race makes the game totally arcade in feel - you're never on the racing line, because you're constantly overtaking! And then there's the predictable AI, & poor collision physics & no damage. In contrast, the (long) F1:CE races feel real, because you have to drive conservatively & tactically, to make sure you don't smash your car & overtake only when you can safely do so.

I agree that F1:CE is hugely underrated. In spite of the fact that the physics is now pretty good in GT5P, so that driving the cars is a very immersive experience, the actual gameplay remains ridiculous. Having to overtake 15 cars in a one, two or three lap race makes the game [GT5P] totally arcade in feel - you're never on the racing line, because you're constantly overtaking! And then there's the predictable AI, & poor collision physics & no damage. In contrast, the (long) F1:CE races feel real, because you have to drive conservatively & tactically, to make sure you don't smash your car & overtake only when you can safely do so.
QFT

I really enjoy both games, but for mostly different reasons. However if I had to pick a favorite between the two, it would definitely be F1CE... as you said, it's such an immersive driving experience that really does an amazing job replicating the thrill of realistic high performance F1 racing, with all the tension and strategy a full race offers.

I really hope who ever ends up coming out with the next F1 game will learn from what Sony's Liverpool Studios accomplished.

I really enjoy both games, but for mostly different reasons. However if I had to pick a favorite between the two, it would definitely be F1CE... as you said, it's such an immersive driving experience that really does an amazing job replicating the thrill of realistic high performance F1 racing, with all the tension and strategy a full race offers.

I totally agree. You've got to admire GT5P for its good qualities, but as with GT4 it's better for the driving experience than the racing, & with no Nurburgring it's missing the best part of the GT4 experience. What is great about F1:CE is the intensity & level of difficulty of the racing - no two races unfold in the same way. The terminal damage is brilliantly done: not a highly complicated system, but entirely effective at getting the job done.

Back