Anyone considering not getting next gen console if new hardware is also required?

• Thread starter BKViper
  • 16 comments
bkviper
I was just thinking about this today as I was looking at some release dates of games like Project Cars 3 that will be the last iteration of that series on for the current gen, such as PS4, where as other games like Gran Turismo 7 will be the first iteration for that series on the next gen, such as PS5. While there is talk of Forza 8 straddling the line and being available on both the current Xbox One and next gen Xbox X platforms.
This got reminiscing about when I upgraded from my PS3 to my PS4 and I found that my Logitech G25 sterling wheel that I had sunk several hundred bucks into, along with the the cost of the PS3, was not going to work with my brand new PS4 which I just spent even more several hundred dollars plus money for the latest racing games on. So, after trying a less than impressive aftermarket adapter, I ended up breaking down and dropping just as much as another console again to get the new Logitech G29, which to be honest has been a great wheel which I liked much more than the G25. And it was also backwards compatible with the PS3, so at least when I wanted to play some retro PS3 games, I didn't have to keep the G25 around and do a swap out in my rig for a different wheel and pedal set.
But, with each generation the price of the consoles gets more and more expensive and the corresponding hardware gets more expensive too.
I don't know if there is a finally street price for the PS5 yet, but I'm sure it will be at least $500-$600, especially if the have more than option for like larger drive sizes.
And I'm sure a new wheel and pedal setup in a quality medal and leather from any manufacturer would run the same amount as well.
Now, the other thing that is a bonus about my G29 wheel in addition to be compatible with both the PS3 & PS4 is that it also works on the PC, and I actually play several racing games there. In fact, I don't own an Xbox console, but I've played the Forza and Forza Horizon games, thanks to Microsoft's Windows 10 and Xbox cross play and the fact that my wheel works with my PC. I also play several other sim titles and arcade racers on the PC.
I will say that the Gran Turismo series has also been one of my favorites and I've played it all the back to the very first one on my PS1 in high school. But Gran Turismo, and any other Sony exclusive racers, would never be worth me spending $1,200+ to play.
If ever console generation forces you to abandon all previous hardware, I think I've finally reached a point where it just doesn't make sense anymore for me.
What are some other thoughts about this?

With a PS release frequency of about 7 years, the next one is always going to be more expensive.
I think the PS4 was about $399 and the PS5 slated for $499 (plus what ever extras over the basic) seems a reasonable increase?
The bit that irks me is the online playing cost, thats another way of getting more money out of us. Some would argue then you only pay for what you use. I would say it spoils it for the casual gamer who only dabbles online.
I usually wait a year before getting a new console, wait for the bugs to be ironed out, games to be released, maybe some deals, etc, etc.
But no, I wouldn't be keeping my PS4, abandon all previous hardware, if its not needed.

The bit that irks me is the online playing cost.
I agree about the monthly fee for stuff like PSPlus being completely unnecessary unless you are someone who is a regular multi-player gamer and would really get the extra benefits that such services would offer.
Otherwise, I would just stick to the basic free connection, which is what I do.
I'm from from the generation of single player gamers though, almost 50, so I pretty much prefer AI opponents over real people. I generally find the people you meet online randomly to be A holes and not really interested in fair game play.
The only time multi-player becomes fun is when you play with a group of people you actually know and you are all interested in having fun together and people are held accountable offline and there is zero tolerance for cheating or playing dirty.
In the late 90's-early 00's I worked at a company and there were a group of 8 of us that played FPS games and racing games, all on our corporate LAN after work hours, and that was some of the most fun I ever had gaming. We'd often game from Friday 6Pm until Saturday 6Am!
But after leaving that place and not have a group of friends that share gaming interests like that anymore, and finding public multi-player to be more frustrating than enjoyable, I've found that I prefer single player vs AI opponents a better option these days in both FPS and racing games, neither of which require buying those expensive monthly packages.

If the Japanese company are stupid/greedy enough to shoot themselves in the foot again by forcing wheel incompatibility issues & making money grabbing licensing deals at the expense of wheel users, I think many people will be done with them. I understand that they make their money from games & sundries, & not so much the consoles themselves. But, forcing wheel users to buy a new set up for every new console generation, which can be more expensive than the console itself, is a step too far.

Thanks goodness for Drive Hub, & the other adapters that actually work as advertised on PS4. And, I hope they'll be updated for PS5 if need be....

I hope I need new hardware. I do need new hardware, so yes, I'd still get the PS5/Xbox thing

I would rather get a pc than a new system and wheel. The wide range of games that interest me has overtaken the need for a gran turismo system.

Yay its been enough years for this discussion to be back. :lol:

Though my T300 still works fine, by the time I plan to upgrade to a PS5.. I would not mind a wheel upgrade as well.

Still, would be rad if all the licensing went out the window and the devs could make them all work even back to the older logitech that does not work on ps4.

Will be a wait and see type of thing.

@BKViper weirdly, you sound like me lol, Im 50 mostly play offline, and also played FPS, racing with a few at work on the LAN at lunch times (back in the days when bosses didnt have a clue). We mostly played Command and Conquer.
Sorry i digress.

As far as I'm aware, all your existing hardware should work across all Xbox platforms (not sure about PS though) so I should only have to upgrade my TX when I want to (which I might eventually anyway) maybe a TS-XW or Fanatec, won't be a DD wheel though.

VBR
Thanks goodness for Drive Hub, & the other adapters that actually work as advertised on PS4. And, I hope they'll be updated for PS5 if need be....

I wasn’t aware of any adaptors that actually worked well, but if they do indeed make changes again so that wheels like the G29 don’t work natively with the PS5, the only thing that would save it for me would be if I had confirmation from a reputable community like this one that an adapter had been developed allowing for PS4 wheels to work flawlessly with the PS5. Otherwise, it would be PC for me and the PS5 & GT8/9 would be a skip for me.
But I’ve skipped generations before, so it’s not a big deal. I’ve had PS1/3/4, but never a PS2. I had an Xbox 360, but never the original or Xbox One. I had a Sega Genesis and a Dreamcast, but not a Saturn. I had SNES, N64, and Switch. I did not have a NES, GameCube, Wii, WiiU.

@BKViper weirdly, you sound like me lol, Im 50 mostly play offline, and also played FPS, racing with a few at work on the LAN at lunch times (back in the days when bosses didnt have a clue). We mostly played Command and Conquer.
Sorry i digress.
We do sound like birds of a feather, except my boss was playing right along side us!
We were a start-up company of only about 15-30 people during the 9 years I was there and so the 8-12 people that gamed on the LAN during the time was literally half the company at any given time.
The fact that it included management and the network and hardware IT teams made it the ideal environment for both socially acceptable and optimized machine and network settings.
I probably never would have left the place if it hadn't been successful enough to have been bough out by a larger corporation and all the assets moved to the new parents companies' location at the other side of the country. :-(

VBR
There are a few, but they came along later on in the PS4's development cycle & many people had already upgraded or moved on so they missed them. I was given a review model of Drive Hub & you can read about my findings here if interested: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/drive-hub-reviews.358820/

👍
That is an awesome review, so we'll written and hits all the questions I would have and more.
And it's perfect for me because I have an uncle in his late 60's who likes racing games but has no real desire to spend much money on game hardware and games, so what I do is give him all my previous generation stuff.
So, when I found out my G25 would not work with my PS4, I was pissed I would have to invest in a whole new wheel setup, but it worked out for my uncle because I had given my uncle my PS3 and all my PS3 games. I was going to tell him to either play the racing games with the dual shock like the rest of the games, or to invest in a cheap plastic wheel, but since I had to buy my G29 for my PS4, I just gave him my G25 as well. Plus I gave him the stand I had for it that was a simple mount for the wheel and shifter and let you sit in front of any chair and then put the pedals on the floor, because I decided to upgrade to a racing seat setup for the G29/PS4.
But anyway, if the G29 ends up working with the PS5, that will be great, because then I can still give him my PS4 and all its games and tell him about this Drive Hub, and he will be able to buy it and still be able to keep using his G25 I gave him with the PS4 I'll give him. 👍

I am lucky enough to have a dedicated PC rig for my sim racing but I also have a second rig that has my XB1 and PS4 on. I invested in a Fanatec Podium PS4 setup for this rig. If the new consoles are compatible with my hardware then I will buy them but if they are not then I will skip the new consoles and play with what I have for as long as I can.

VBR
@BKViper - The main Drive Hub thread is here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/drive-hub-racing-wheel-converter.358306/

Lots of discussion from users, problems & solutions etc...

Well VBR, I was completely intrigued by this Drive Hub after reading through all you stuff you share now.
Not just about the stuff I mentioned about my uncle being able to use the G25 with a PS4, but for myself, I love I can use my G29 natively with a PS3, PS4,or PC but was always disappointed I couldn't play Xbox games with it (not counting games like Forza that can be played on Windows on PC) but actually racing games on an Xbox 360 or Xbox One.
But apparently the Drive Hub will actually allow such miracles to occur.
So, I went ahead and ordered one, along with the pedal adapter from ricmotech that it said would be needed for the Logitech pedals.
I'm sure with the virus, like everything, shipping will probably get them each here by the launch of the PS5 & Xbox X if I'm lucky! And I'll be able try out all different types of combinations of console and wheel and pedal setups. Thanks for all the info, I've book marked all these resources for once I get my hardware.

Sorry i digress.

I was ranked 8th in the world at one point in C&C Red Alert 2 haha. The good old days for sure!

Well VBR, I was completely intrigued by this Drive Hub....So, I went ahead and ordered one, along with the pedal adapter from ricmotech that it said would be needed for the Logitech pedals.

Why would you need a Ricmotech adapter, what pedals do you have?

EDIT: you only need adapters if you intend to use Logitech pedals with a non Logitech wheel. If you have a G29 wheel & pedals, you don't need any adapters, just Drive Hub.

Last edited:
Back