Anyone else finding it difficult with the DualSense controller?

• Thread starter Strittan
  • 44 comments
I'm not having much of an issue. Everyone adapts differently.

I used a wheel almost exclusively from GT4 through to GT Sport. I haven't used the wheel once in GT7. The other GT's I found were more than playable with a controller, and this one is a step up again. I find the feeling and communication through the controller is enough of a step up that I haven't had too much trouble using the controller. I am certainly not as fast as I could be compared to the wheel, but for single player it's a lot of fun. I'm using no driving aids and have turned ABS off just to give perspective of where I am coming from.

I think it's definitely less forgiving than Sport, but I think a lot of it is just getting used to it.

I did the menu book where you get the 3 Mustangs and I used an old Corvette tuned to 550pp. It was a handful, but found that once I got the hang of it, it was blast to drive. I suspect because the differences between cars is more pronounced than Sport the learning curve for the physics will be long.

Playing Pad exclusively as I don’t have room for a wheel set up.

So far I’m loving it, the new physics are great and I’ve had no issues adapting.

Keep at it.

The RWD roadcar physics are messed up, many seem to come across problems with unrealistic oversteer even in low powered cars such as a MX5. FF and AWD layout is fine though.

Last edited:
It's less forgiving but in all the best ways. Just adapting to being for sensitive to input. I did turn sensitivity down as low as it'll go as well.

I find road cars a lot easier than in sport, there is a lot more feedback now and it's a lot easier to tell when they are going to kick out, upgrades and tuning seems to help a lot (especially your Toe angles and Differential settings), I found that using Gr.4 cars like the Supra has helped me get better with the Gr.3 cars now too (the Gr.4 cars are a lot more forgiving than in GT Sport in my opinion), some high powered supercars or muscle cars will need traction control or amazing throttle management otherwise the rears will spin all the time (setting TC on 1 seems to alleviate a lot of the issues without being too intrusive) I was feeling the same as you but after cracking through the license tests and getting used to driving a bunch of different vehicles it will click, you likely won't be as fast as a wheel user but it's certainly not as difficult as Assetto Corsa Competizione or Project Cars 2 on a controller, also try driving in different conditions, driving in the wet has helped me get used to the oversteer patterns on a lot of my cars now and Super License Test-10 will really hammer home how important your throttle management is in this game now, don't give up just take a break every now and again when you feel your getting frustrated.

I'm struggling but I have no reference, so I assume I'm just learning.

I suck at cornering with the game pad, holy moly. The problem I'm having is I push the analog stick all the way over and I'm moving at like 20kmph and the dude rotates the steering wheel maybe a few inches in response to my input. Every vehicle at speeds above 5kmph feels like driving a cruise ship through frozen molasses.

I've driven a dozen or so vehicles IRL, FWD AWD RWD, mustangs hatchbacks SUVs trucks sedans etc and it just seems like no matter what I do with a PS5 controller I can't get any car to do what I could easily do in real life first try in any vehicle. It's like the steering radius is locked at 25% of what I feel it should be.

I'm trying to get all gold in the license tests and I'm loving the challenge but I wish I knew what I was doing wrong. I turned off assists, ABS, steering correction, etc.

One thing I keep noticing is that I have to remind myself to not go full throttle/brake at times. Just a habit I guess.

Last edited:
Well, I’ve cleared 25 books or so, so if I haven’t gotten used to it by now I probably never will.

However, right after I posted this thread I drove a 2002 NSX at Suzuka and absolutely loved it. It’s mainly FR cars in the wet that frustrates me, and I feel like getting gold on some missions and license tests will be outright impossible for me.

I've driven a dozen or so vehicles IRL, FWD AWD RWD, mustangs hatchbacks SUVs trucks sedans etc and it just seems like no matter what I do with a PS5 controller I can't get any car to do what I could easily do in real life first try in any vehicle. It's like the steering radius is locked at 25% of what I feel it should be.
This. I find that some cars simply won’t turn, no matter how slow you’re going. Quite annoying.

Last edited:
The physics may be more realistic, but boy, is it unforgiving on a controller or what?

I get that wheel users are probably loving it, but for the rest of us, I’m almost willing to say this is not an improvement. I love the feedback you get through the DualSense though.

Is it just me?
I enjoy the feedback, but where I struggle is coming out of a turn's apex with a car that has oversteer. So I turned the feed back off.

The reason is that I have precise muscle memory that dictates how much throttle I need to give exiting just about any turn with some of the cars I drive most (Amuse S2000 and Hyundai Genesis Gr3). I am almost perfect every time. With feedback, my muscle memory that dictates exactly how much throttle I should give actually hurts me coming out of the apex since the travel distance of the buttons and the amount of resistance they give change dynamically. This therefore causes me to spin out more. I otherwise enjoy it. But I definitely race much better without the feedback.

Last edited:
The physics may be more realistic, but boy, is it unforgiving on a controller or what?

I get that wheel users are probably loving it, but for the rest of us, I’m almost willing to say this is not an improvement. I love the feedback you get through the DualSense though.

Is it just me?
Turned off braking haptic and turned acceleration haptic to weak and it's been way better for me. With those on, the brake is impossible to modulate.

I find it counter intuitive to have a hard accelerator and brake when precision is everything and the travel the shoulder buttons can do is so short.

Maybe it's a limitation of the controller but I expected the feeling to be different. A slightly heavy accelerator that became loose when I lost grip and a brake that would kick back when abs was applied.

I find it counter intuitive to have a hard accelerator and brake when precision is everything and the travel the shoulder buttons can do is so short.

Maybe it's a limitation of the controller but I expected the feeling to be different. A slightly heavy accelerator that became loose when I lost grip and a brake that would kick back when abs was applied.
Good point.

There's room for improvement. When using ABS the trigger could rumble as the pedal in a real car.

DualSense feels awesome! Took me about an hour to get used to it though (probably still not 100% with it), but I’m absolutely loving it!

I love it personally. Took a few races to get a feel but man it feels good. Find it much easier to modulate the throttle and brake with that bit of resistance there and I love how it feeds back.

Good point.

There's room for improvement. When using ABS the trigger could rumble as the pedal in a real car.
It does, but mainly in the wet.

By the way, setting the throttle feedback to weak helped a lot.

Last edited:
The issue with dual sense is its requiring constant feathering of the shoulder buttons for an accurate drive, its a stress position to keep your finger curled, and there are not enough degrees of motion. Adapting to this is easy enough, but I dont want RSI from a title I thought I would be putting 100's hrs into. Myself, I've had to disable the haptics and trigger resistance, purely because of ergonomics even on low settings the gear change knock is genuinely irritating why is it so prominent?

No problems here,just as usual need to work on my braking,just the Camaro ZL1 that's tried to kill me so far.:lol:

tips I've learned from using the Dualsense to date:

holding position relative to your PS5: make sure your controller is not lower (i'.e at your belly, in relation to your PS5 being atop a desk) I find this induces the lack of steering to a great degree. hold that controller up level or high , or place your PS5 somewhat lower. not sure if this is a feature or a bug, or am I just getting lucked out on the steering inputs at times. but i find my arms slowly descending if I don't hold the gamepad chest high constantly.

& Camaro ZL1 at trial mountain, how fun was that! (torque out in higher gear and brake straight and early)

slow in fast out, where did I hear that before? it matters now more than it ever did in GT5. lol. I'm lovin it.

Driving without haptic feedback and adaptive triggers feels so wrong now, like the controller was broken or something, i usually use the t300rs but sometimes i just use the dualsense and the sense of how much you apply the brakes or if you loose traction is really good, and for rally courses the haptic feedback makes it really feel like you drive on dirt, so, overall i think its a massive improvement over the DS4 with just the rumble motors!
I wish the brake pedal of the T300rs would have the same adaptive motor to simulate abs or a stiffer brakefeeling!

Try driving a fully tuned 800hp Ford GT '06 ... Jesus, if this is not the most difficult car I've driven in this game.

The stock Carrera GT is also quite unforgiving if you smash the throttle on a corner exit.

RWD cars have always been a pain to drive, this applies IRL, the McLaren P1 was a nightmare to drive in comparison to the Porsche 918 Spyder due to the fact that it was RWD while the Porsche was AWD, but if you could perfect it, the RWD car would be faster.
One of the things the game has done right. For this you simply have to adapt.

SUGGESTION: Use Manual Shifting using R2 and L2 and use the Right Stick Analog to accelerate/brake. It's much easier to input how much you want to brake or accelerate. But this is me, who's played like this for almost 20 years now. I can't really adapt to accel/brake with R2 and L2 and then shifting in R1/L1. Just doesn't do it for me.

I found there was a lack of familiarity coming from GTS to GT7 in the control and physics of the cars. My instant reaction was one of satisfaction and an added feeling of depth that had been lacking in GTS. The vehicles were much more sensitive to how you brake, accelerate, etc.

It took me an hour or so to really understand and appreciate the DS feedback. .....to think of it more than just an immersion gimmick but actually as a tool that can really provide useful feedback under braking, when I begin to lose traction and so on.

As @Noz points out, I can imagine playing the game without it now. I'm the opposite of some and actually feel it gives me greater control by providing useful feedback (not just gimmicky vibrations) and make fine adjustments based on that. I can feel when the brakes are locking up or when my wheels begin to spin, etc., etc.

It's as if we only had 2 out of 3 senses with controllers in GTS (sight and sound) but gained touch / feeling with GT7.

This. I find that some cars simply won’t turn, no matter how slow you’re going. Quite annoying.
Have you tried increasing the controller steering sensitivity to 2 or 3? I felt the faster cars just wouldn't turn into a corner, but realised that the default sensitivity just doesn't respond to inputs quickly enough.

Changing it was revalatory. Got 10 golds on the Super Licence tests, but would be willing to bet I couldn't do likewise on default settings.

Have you tried increasing the controller steering sensitivity to 2 or 3? I felt the faster cars just wouldn't turn into a corner, but realised that the default sensitivity just doesn't respond to inputs quickly enough.

Changing it was revalatory. Got 10 golds on the Super Licence tests, but would be willing to bet I couldn't do likewise on default settings.
Read the post above yours, hehe.

Thanks anyway, though.

:)

Last edited:
Back