Anyone else finding it difficult with the DualSense controller?

• Thread starter Strittan
  • 44 comments
I'm using a controller, but struggling with my car oversteering every now and then on the Japanese speed ring. Manage to correct it but this makes me lose speed and end up getting taken over! Not quite as easy to master carrying the speed through on the longer, gradual bends without the car snapping out on me.

Control Freaks the longest one on your left stick. Makes it way easier to drive in arcs it will 100% make your driving smoother.

I was using it and it came off during a race so I got mad and took it off.

So after a couple weeks I put it back on the other day and the change was immediate..way more accurate and smooth.

I'm thinking about super gluing one on top of the other to see how far I can take it before the stick height becomes detrimental.

Also turn your controller sense to max all it does is make your driver turn the wheel faster.

Edit:My idea..it works...well. Took 2 laps around Nurburgring 24hr on the second lap I took 6 seconds off my PR.

The height takes adjustment and you need to relax your left hand. I have paddles on the bottom of my controller I shift with I don't know if that makes a difference.

The sticks aren't actual Control Freaks they are an off brand from Best Buy you get 3 pairs for $10 were as Control Freaks you get 1 pair for $18.
16486800390021723779005932518152.jpg

Last edited:
Control Freaks the longest one on your left stick. Makes it way easier to drive in arcs it will 100% make your driving smoother.

I was using it and it came off during a race so I got mad and took it off.

So after a couple weeks I put it back on the other day and the change was immediate..way more accurate and smooth.

I'm thinking about super gluing one on top of the other to see how far I can take it before the stick height becomes detrimental.

Also turn your controller sense to max all it does is make your driver turn the wheel faster.

Edit:My idea..it works...well. Took 2 laps around Nurburgring 24hr on the second lap I took 6 seconds off my PR.

The height takes adjustment and you need to relax your left hand. I have paddles on the bottom of my controller I shift with I don't know if that makes a difference.

The sticks aren't actual Control Freaks they are an off brand from Best Buy you get 3 pairs for $10 were as Control Freaks you get 1 pair for $18.
View attachment 1131499
did you get hungry and the closest thing to you was your controller?

I would also suggest trigger extensions for l2 r2 I'm looking into those next. The extra throw and leverage will greatly increase your ability to modulate brake and throttle.

I had to disable the adaptive triggers because they were giving me too much resistance. I felt as though it took a bit of control away from me when operating the throttle and brake.

Well it's not the most comfortable controller. DS4 is still Sony's best ever controller in terms of ergonomics imo, wish they didn't drop that controller design.

Last edited:
I had to disable the adaptive triggers because they were giving me too much resistance. I felt as though it took a bit of control away from me when operating the throttle and brake.
Ya I disabled the left trigger completely early on. I just disabled the right trigger today it just makes it easier to modulate without the resistance.

I'm hoping with the extensions I can turn the adaptive triggers back on weak.

I can tell the extensions will work because I tried having my fingers on the tips of the triggers rather then nestled in the middle and I had more control. However it did not feel as good ergonomically.

It's funny I started this thread, because now, one of the things I'm really fond of about the game is how it plays with the controller. :lol:
You should update your original post to clarify.

GT now is very playable with the controller... the best it ever has been... it was pretty good already back in the days of the first two GT games on PS1... Things have come a long way...

Ya I disabled the left trigger completely early on. I just disabled the right trigger today it just makes it easier to modulate without the resistance.
Did you see any sort of improvement in your lap times by doing this?

Did you see any sort of improvement in your lap times by doing this?
My lap times are down across the board but I've made alot of changes so its difficult to say how much.

Anytime I would get feedback from the trigger I would also be getting an audio q thru my headphones so it just makes sense to cut out the trigger feedback.

I'm posting in the context of a controller player trying to maximize my setup for online play verses steering wheel and pedals players.

Last edited:
According to the on screen throttle indication, my throttle trigger depressed to 80% shows full throttle open. Feels like the throttle activation isn’t linear and blows through the mid stroke very quickly, right where you want the fine control. Tried this with the 2 dualsense controllers I own, just in case one was defective.

I’ve also been using the motion control steering since GTS, and on GT7 the steering definitely feels more sensitive, with maximum steering input from on screen indicator at about 45°.

My lap times are down across the board but I've made alot of changes so its difficult to say how much.

Anytime I would get feedback from the trigger I would also be getting an audio q thru my headphones so it just makes sense to cut out the trigger feedback.

I'm posting in the context of a controller player trying to maximize my setup for online play verses steering wheel and pedals players.
I get an audio cue through the controller itself, it sounds like it's going to vibrate itself to bits at times.

According to the on screen throttle indication, my throttle trigger depressed to 80% shows full throttle open. Feels like the throttle activation isn’t linear and blows through the mid stroke very quickly, right where you want the fine control. Tried this with the 2 dualsense controllers I own, just in case one was defective.

I’ve also been using the motion control steering since GTS, and on GT7 the steering definitely feels more sensitive, with maximum steering input from on screen indicator at about 45°.
Ya the throttle and brake controls are wonky I can totally see this now that I turned off feedback.

Essentially 60% of trigger is 100% throttle. Putting controller players at a big disadvantage. We have much less throttle and brake modulation..even less then are the limits of the controller itself.

Edit: Its more like 40% trigger is 100%.

Last edited:
My crazy controller helped me get my first Manufacturers cup win just now at Nürburgring.

Driving the Dodge Viper the second place guy was 6 sec back the rest were well over 20 sec.

Nürburgring really shines a spotlight on the modded controller with the added precision I am able to have when going 150 mph on a bumpy narrow winding road.

Last edited:
Back