Anyone else here gone direct from Gran Turismo (the original) to GT Sport?

• Thread starter CustomX
  • 30 comments
Germany
Germany
My recently acquired PS4 is the first console I've owned for many years and the only PS I've owned since the original in about '98.

I've started listening to Feeder's "Sweet 16" and Ash "Lose Control" while I'm playing GT Sport.

Brings back many hazy memories!

Closeish.

Had gt1, found it good but looked forward to two which was great I felt. Got gt3 and thought it was abysmal, got married, had kids etc so a good solid 15 years later got a new console and jumped into project cars, pc2 and now gets.

Damn what a whiplash that must be.From this:

hqdefault.jpg

to this

iokdiz.gif

Can't say I have, I follow this game serues since 2000 with the first game, I owned every full game of this series which were bought with the new consoles(after getting my PS1 I haven't looked at the other consoles ever, from there I just went to the PS2, then PS3 and finally PS4...I'm 100% certain that I am buying a PS5, it's only a matter of when) with the only exception being GT6 which I didn't bought out of protest for PD closing down the servers of GT5 to early after releasing GT6.

Gran Turismo, Driver: You're the Wheelman, NFL Hot Pursuit and High Stakes...I was a sucker for good driving games on the PS1 days and I'm still am.

Mostly I skipped the even numbered entries in the series (although I did own GT4, oddly I have no recollection of playing it much).

The original, GT3, GT5 and now GTS. One per console generation basically. GT5 almost killed my interest in the series, took me about 6 years to earn the platinum (which I did shortly before buying GTS).

GTS is probably my favourite since the original actually.

Absolutely not. I only have missed GT6 and I somewhat regret it but I just couldnt devote 100+ hours to a last Gen game when I had a shiny new PS4 to play with.

I only missed GT6 and that was because my PS3 died shortly after PS4 came out (so I bought a PS4 instead).

I still don't understand why PD decided to release GT6 AFTER PS4 was released ... and then never release it on PS4 ...

I only missed GT6 and that was because my PS3 died shortly after PS4 came out (so I bought a PS4 instead).

I still don't understand why PD decided to release GT6 AFTER PS4 was released ... and then never release it on PS4 ...

You mean like what happened with Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty? The answer to that is something that's been stated countless times here before, yet people don't keep in mind. PD may be a AAA studio but they're not as big as Ubisoft or Activision. The latter have much more manpower and resources, plain and simple. This is also the reason why GT6 services were shut down shortly after GT Sport came out; they have to devote resources that the older game was using to the newer game.

I went from GT1/2 straight to GT5P. That was a HUGE jump skipping the PS2 generation (even with me playing a smattering of NFS UG on PC in between). The gap between PS3/4 isn't that big unless you really look for it, so that was pretty much equivalent to jumping straight to GTS I reckon.

Moving forward is definitely easier though. Going backwards the games always look better in your memory than when you actually play it. Having said that, I still occasionally play GT1/2 on emulators and it's one of the few PS1 games graphics that I can still stomach (the physics are a different story :lol:).

I went from GT1/2 straight to GT5P. That was a HUGE jump skipping the PS2 generation (even with me playing a smattering of NFS UG on PC in between). The gap between PS3/4 isn't that big unless you really look for it, so that was pretty much equivalent to jumping straight to GTS I reckon.

Moving forward is definitely easier though. Going backwards the games always look better in your memory than when you actually play it. Having said that, I still occasionally play GT1/2 on emulators and it's one of the few PS1 games graphics that I can still stomach (the physics are a different story :lol:).
GT 4 still looks great for me

Wow!!!! What a leap!!!

I remember playing GT1 with my friends and all, but I never owned that game. Played GT2 to death (those were the days...), skipped GT3 and then bought a PS2 and GT4. Pretty much I only played GT4 and God of War on PS2.

Bought and played GT5 on PS3. Not much though, I got married at the time and all that real life things got on the way. Played and 100% GT6 (which didn't take long) and left behind.

Now back on GTS almost a year later its release I can say I've been playing that thing almost every day.

Here's my Gran Turismo story.

I was never a fan of Gran Turismo. I tried it at various friends' places but I feel like the model felt weird and its exacerbated by the digital throttle and brake of the PS2.

Worse still it was around the time I'd gotten into real cars so I had access to Skylines Supras WRXs Evos and the like...

I had gotten into PC games of course with Geoff Crammonds F1GP and Gran Prix Legends but that was with the ancient Thrustmaster T2.

On Xbox there was stuff like PGR2-4 which I loved.

I got a copy of GT5 Collectors for about $25 from a friend who just didnt quite click with the drive model (too hard) - I suppose pre Spec 2.0 it was like this.

I then bought a slim PS3 160Gb - these were like $199 here. Cheap.

GT5 2.0 and GT6 was where I sunk the hours. Of course GTS would follow.

Over here there was a time you could get the very last PS2 slims for like $49 and the discs are like $2-$3 so I got GT1 GT2 GT3 and GT4. I also got GT5 prologue.

However It was too hard to go back after dealing with GT5 plus and FOrza 3/4/5 etc.

I have tried GT4 on emulation but its like driving with coke bottle glasses... you just cant see down the road. Although it is weird playing GT4 w/ the Xbox One controller.

So I feel like I'm a "modern" Gran Turismo fan. GT5/6/GTS really.

I'm off Forza. They just lost me after FM7 and FH3. I dabble in them but GTS is the only one I do 42km a day.

I did go back to GT5/6 to fill in some events but even go back one gen the gfx is hard to take.

I feel like Gran Turismo Sport really is the game of this generation for people like us.

I never had a PS1 (went the N64 route instead), but finished GT1 on my PC using an emulator (bought the disc for $5 at a second hand store).
Bought a PS2 when GT3 was released, just for GT3 - one of the best ones made!
Bought GT4 on release day
Bought my PS3 when GT5 was released, and just for GT5
Bought GT6 on release day, with all it's criticisms, I think it had the best handling model of the lot, and was a step forward from GT5 (although the standard cars included on both are just embarrassing)
Bought my PS4 in August 2017, first car game I bought was DiRT4. Wanted GTS on release, but all the stories put me off. I enjoy offline more than online. Bought PC2 Deluxe Edition on Release Day, and was the first game I have ever platinumed! Has it's quirks, has it's bugs, but to me the best racing game on PS4. It has actually spoilt me, and has set a new standard. Not only do you need to race, you need to deal with cars that can overheat, engines that can blow, tyres that can overheat and turn to jelly, brakes that can overheat and fade on you, and all the small things like fuel loads that affect the weight and performance of your car, and realistic aero and suspension damage. And let's not compare the time of day changes and the weather changes!
Bought GTS on special from the PS Store for $16 and all I can say is I'm glad I didn't pay retail for it! Probably the most disappointing game I've played. Yes it looks good, but handles woefully, and just doesn't feel 'new' to me, which gets me more worked up when they announce new cars and tracks that I've tirelessly raced with on the previous GT games. Definitely took a step sideways (or event to the back); not the leap forward I was hoping for. But that's my view, and with all the flack I will get, I really do hope the next Gran Turismo game makes 2 leaps forward, not just one.
Other racing games I've enjoyed on PS4 are F1 2017 (really got me back into F1!), Driveclub (of all games), and to a lesser extent Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition (just not spicy enough to enjoy like some of the others). I really hope 2019 gives us a few new games (looking forward to DiRT Rally 2.0). In the meantime, I'm thinking I might buy The Crew2 for a laugh.

Last edited:
My recently acquired PS4 is the first console I've owned for many years and the only PS I've owned since the original in about '98.

I've started listening to Feeder's "Sweet 16" and Ash "Lose Control" while I'm playing GT Sport.

Brings back many hazy memories!

I moved straight from the original TOCA Touring Cars, with a 20 year pit stop between.

I only played in Gran Turismo 1 demo on PSX and then GT2 demo. I bought PS2 and then GT4 came out that was a big game i love it so much didn't have PS3 so didn't played GT5 and GT6 now that i have Ps4 i knew i would need GTS.

What you didn't like about Horizon?

I feel like this blends back into what I like about Gran Turismo SPort.

The changed the game and yet the made it the same. There's enough change in GTS that its a breathe of fresh air to me over GT5/6.

If they just made GT7 and its just like GT5/6 it wouldnt be a unique as GT Sport.

This isnt the case with FM7. Its minor changes from FM4-5-6.

This is the same with FH1-2-3. I havent bought FH4.

I sort of feel like these games should be reinventing themselves to remain fresh. GT6 has the same issue with FM6/7 - they have 1,000 cars and heaps of tracks but the game is in itself lacking.

GT SPort lacks cars and tracks comparatively but the mechanics feel different. At this point I could almost give up on Xbox and I'd be ok. I'm not interested in where FM7/FH4 is heading.

I'm still interested to see what comes month to month from PD/

I feel like this blends back into what I like about Gran Turismo SPort.

The changed the game and yet the made it the same. There's enough change in GTS that its a breathe of fresh air to me over GT5/6.

If they just made GT7 and its just like GT5/6 it wouldnt be a unique as GT Sport.

This isnt the case with FM7. Its minor changes from FM4-5-6.

This is the same with FH1-2-3. I havent bought FH4.

I sort of feel like these games should be reinventing themselves to remain fresh. GT6 has the same issue with FM6/7 - they have 1,000 cars and heaps of tracks but the game is in itself lacking.

GT SPort lacks cars and tracks comparatively but the mechanics feel different. At this point I could almost give up on Xbox and I'd be ok. I'm not interested in where FM7/FH4 is heading.

I'm still interested to see what comes month to month from PD/

I agree about FM7.It's easier for Forza Horizon to stay fresh because each game is in a new map,and it works,people love the Horizon games meanwhile Motorsport feels like its going nowhere.

Yeah I feel you. If you're game is centred around track racing, how do you make each version of the game attractive and better?

At the end of the day you're still running around on the same tracks for a fixed laps.

Forza Motorsport has made this quite boring. Somehow GT Sport still makes it quite interesting every month.

You give me Catalyuna on FM7 I dont quite care too much but I'm interested to see how this track makes it into GT Sport for the first time ever.

Its hard to explain, I disliked FMs version of Le Mans... the PD version just feels nicer. I reckon they'll do the same for Catalyuna.

I wasn't even born when the first GT came out! However I've played GT3, GT4, GT5, GTPSP, GT6 and Sport, so I haven't gone from potato quality graphics to hyper-realistic graphics.

That's how I feel about it too... I started with things like Crammond's F1GP and that was flat shaded VGA ie. 320 x 200 and on a 14" CRT it wasnt so bad.

Then there was a huge leap to 640 x 480 on Grand Prix Legends. I remember F1GP2 and that cemented 480p as the std.

And then sort of 720p on Xbox 360. And then FHD on GT5 plus.

Even going back to GT5/6 it looks very flat and cartoony as if the lighting is just 'under studio lighting'. Its not the light engine in GT Sport but then nothing else is.

Well me, kind of. Used to rock the original GT on playstation 1 and not having a memory card was a real pain in the ass but the game looked incandescent by the standards at the time and despite little content due to technical limitations it was a blast to play. Briefly tried out a GT version called "prologue" many years later over at an acquaintant, so it was not a game i owned. Ergo technically, I am too coming from GT1 straight to Sport.

I was 3 years old when I first played Gran Turismo 1. I was born in ‘95 and the game belonged to my father. I didn’t know what the word “simulator” mean at the time and I remembered I had a difficult time passing the license test. Even though I did played few races(the ones that doesn’t require obtaining licenses) in GT Mode. I had a good time playing arcade mode with my older brother though. I had other racing/driving games on the PS1 like Hot Wheels Turbo Racing, Driver, Colin McRae Rally, Twisted Metal, World’s Scariest Police Chases, Jet Moto 1 & 2 and Crash Team Racing.

As years pass, I knew that other GT games had came out but I had lost interest in series because of one thing, the license test. I assumed it was going to be a repeat, can’t enter a particular race without earning a license. I had other racing games and other genre that I liked on the PS2 and PS3. When I saw GT5 bundle at Best Buy, I skipped it and got another game instead. Although GT6 released years later, I still didn’t other getting it.

Last year March, I brought my first PS4 and got Driveclub and The Crew. Later down the line, I decided to get PC2 over GTS due to the amount of content PC2 had over GTS. When I heard that they were going to add GT League in late December, I brought GTS on December 4th when it was on sale. However, I was playing it for awhile here and there until new GT League races were added. GT League wasn’t perfect but the events that they added in brought back memories of the past GT games. Early 2018, I brought Dirt 4, Dirt Rally, WRC 7 and F1 2018 all through sale.

Before I started to Gran Turismo Sport, I booted up my ps3 to play GT1 and managed to get few gold, silver and bronze on the license tests. It was a shame that I could do it before. The only license I couldn’t get was I-A License due to the fact that SS Route 5 Time Trial won’t load, which prevented me from doing the final test. I had no other choice but to download someone else’s save date(100% completion) to do all the races in GT Mode since I could find a save file with only the License Test completed. It didn’t felt the same at all when using someone else’s save data.

I brought a “used copy” of both GT2 and GT5 on Amazon around February. Mind as well get GT2 since it’s the same as the first one but better. Same cars and tracks from GT1, plus more additional vehicles from manufacturers, more events in GT Mode and a lot of tracks to race on. I enjoyed playing GT2 even though I haven’t gotten far due to real life. I am only at 26.94% with Cr. 16, 648,800 because I was grinding the Seattle circuit in 4WD Challenge. Played GT5 for a few months only to be at 64%(A-Spec Lvl 31, B-Spec Lvl 7, with Cr. 4, 221,587). Last month, I brought “used copy” of GT6 and last time I checked I was at 24% with Cr. 246,610. I was just stalling until more events were to be added in GTS and I decided to start fresh again and it wasn’t hard to get all gold in Driving School, Mission Challenge and Circuit Experience.

Lastly, I started to love the GT series and I wished I had been a fan of the franchise from the beginning. I don’t have a ps2 anymore(probably somewhere in storage) but if I do find it, I will definitely buy GT3 and GT4.

TLDR
  • Owned a PS1 with few other racing games including GT1. Also owned a PS2 and PS3.
  • Didn’t bother getting the rest of the Gran Turismo games because I was having a hard time doing the license test in GT1. So I assumed it was mandatory in all other GT games to complete them before entering a race.
  • Brought a PS4, got few games and got Gran Turismo Sport in December because PD were going to add GT League. Even though it wasn’t perfect.
  • Decided to play GT1 again at the beginning of 2018; obtaining all the License except I-A due to SS Route 5 TT won’t load.
  • I moved on and got GT2 and GT5 instead and had a blast with them.
  • PS2 is somewhere in storage but if I can find it, will definitely get GT3 and GT4.
  • I was stalling until more events were to be added in GTS.
  • Brought GT6 on September 30, loved it and blamed myself for not liking the series since day 1.
  • GTS is good now compared to when I first played it in December.
Sorry for the long post.

Like another post above, I played all GT releases and Playstation became my consoles of choice since those early days with this franchise.

Complaints aside, it's been a mainstay in my gaming over the years and I'm keen to see the game appeal and grow to me so I can get more from GT.

I was 3 years old when I first played Gran Turismo 1. I was born in ‘95 and the game belonged to my father. I didn’t know what the word “simulator” mean at the time and I remembered I had a difficult time passing the license test. Even though I did played few races(the ones that doesn’t require obtaining licenses) in GT Mode. I had a good time playing arcade mode with my older brother though. I had other racing/driving games on the PS1 like Hot Wheels Turbo Racing, Driver, Colin McRae Rally, Twisted Metal, World’s Scariest Police Chases, Jet Moto 1 & 2 and Crash Team Racing.

As years pass, I knew that other GT games had came out but I had lost interest in series because of one thing, the license test. I assumed it was going to be a repeat, can’t enter a particular race without earning a license. I had other racing games and other genre that I liked on the PS2 and PS3. When I saw GT5 bundle at Best Buy, I skipped it and got another game instead. Although GT6 released years later, I still didn’t other getting it.

Last year March, I brought my first PS4 and got Driveclub and The Crew. Later down the line, I decided to get PC2 over GTS due to the amount of content PC2 had over GTS. When I heard that they were going to add GT League in late December, I brought GTS on December 4th when it was on sale. However, I was playing it for awhile here and there until new GT League races were added. GT League wasn’t perfect but the events that they added in brought back memories of the past GT games. Early 2018, I brought Dirt 4, Dirt Rally, WRC 7 and F1 2018 all through sale.

Before I started to Gran Turismo Sport, I booted up my ps3 to play GT1 and managed to get few gold, silver and bronze on the license tests. It was a shame that I could do it before. The only license I couldn’t get was I-A License due to the fact that SS Route 5 Time Trial won’t load, which prevented me from doing the final test. I had no other choice but to download someone else’s save date(100% completion) to do all the races in GT Mode since I could find a save file with only the License Test completed. It didn’t felt the same at all when using someone else’s save data.

I brought a “used copy” of both GT2 and GT5 on Amazon around February. Mind as well get GT2 since it’s the same as the first one but better. Same cars and tracks from GT1, plus more additional vehicles from manufacturers, more events in GT Mode and a lot of tracks to race on. I enjoyed playing GT2 even though I haven’t gotten far due to real life. I am only at 26.94% with Cr. 16, 648,800 because I was grinding the Seattle circuit in 4WD Challenge. Played GT5 for a few months only to be at 64%(A-Spec Lvl 31, B-Spec Lvl 7, with Cr. 4, 221,587). Last month, I brought “used copy” of GT6 and last time I checked I was at 24% with Cr. 246,610. I was just stalling until more events were to be added in GTS and I decided to start fresh again and it wasn’t hard to get all gold in Driving School, Mission Challenge and Circuit Experience.

Lastly, I started to love the GT series and I wished I had been a fan of the franchise from the beginning. I don’t have a ps2 anymore(probably somewhere in storage) but if I do find it, I will definitely buy GT3 and GT4.

TLDR
  • Owned a PS1 with few other racing games including GT1. Also owned a PS2 and PS3.
  • Didn’t bother getting the rest of the Gran Turismo games because I was having a hard time doing the license test in GT1. So I assumed it was mandatory in all other GT games to complete them before entering a race.
  • Brought a PS4, got few games and got Gran Turismo Sport in December because PD were going to add GT League. Even though it wasn’t perfect.
  • Decided to play GT1 again at the beginning of 2018; obtaining all the License except I-A due to SS Route 5 TT won’t load.
  • I moved on and got GT2 and GT5 instead and had a blast with them.
  • PS2 is somewhere in storage but if I can find it, will definitely get GT3 and GT4.
  • I was stalling until more events were to be added in GTS.
  • Brought GT6 on September 30, loved it and blamed myself for not liking the series since day 1.
  • GTS is good now compared to when I first played it in December.
Sorry for the long post.

Amazed that you were able to go back and play older versions after playing Sport. I don't think I'd have the stomach for it. I agree with you re: licences. Found them both a novelty and a pain in GT1, and their existence always made me feel like I wouldn't want to go through that hassle again. Plus I never really loved the whole buying and installing parts thing, despite being a guy who did a lot of work on my own cars in my teenage years. When gaming, I just want to drive. So yeah, I avoided the franchise for a similar reason to you; didn't want to invest the hours.

I remember TOCA on ps1. Didn't like it hugely. I think V Rally and V Rally 2, along with Colin Mcrae were my other fave racing games on the original PS. VRally great for a bit of 4 player splitscreen action.

From memory, the Skyline GT-R was the car in GT1. Am I right?

I owned an Xbox around 2003-2007 but never got into serious racing on it. I think a bit of rally but not much.

From memory, the Skyline GT-R was the car in GT1. Am I right?
Definitely. Mine had over 900 bhp. :lol:

It was a used car from very early in the game. I don't think there was an upgrade it didn't get by the end.

I played the hell out of GT1 and GT2. The previews of GT3 made me feel like PD was trying to make a racing game to appeal to everyone and was losing focus. I haven't played another until GTS. Ironic because I think GTS doesn't have focus in a completely different way.

I remember there was a long endurance event, I think in GT2, like 3 hours long or something. You were supposed to pit, the first time I'd seen this feature in GT. I didn't understand what I was supposed to do to pit so I just drove on the same set of tires the whole race. Every turn was like drift mode, before drifting was a thing. Still finished 3rd! GT has become much more competent as a sim since then, but some aspect of that pure arcadey fun has been lost along the way. I suppose it's a valid tradeoff for good online competition though.

I only had limited play time on GT3 while deployed. Only used a controller and since it was in a recreation tent, you were only allowed 15 minutes to play to allow for others to take their minds off of things for a while. But now I am really enjoying GT Sport even though I'm going in cold.

Keith.

Back