anyone else NOT play sport because Manual trans is banned?

• Thread starter flair1111
  • 33 comments
wondering how wide spread this is. i cannot drive with automatic. i dont understand why manual isnt allowed. isnt that the entire point of racing, is to get good as you are able? auto or manual shouldn't matter. i miss half the game because of this. frustration

edit. i meant "i cannot drive with automatic" meaning i cannot race my best USING and automatic. we are forced in sport to use it, no manual allowed.

Last edited:
wondering how wide spread this is. i cannot drive with automatic. i dont understand why manual isnt allowed. isnt that the entire point of racing, is to get good as you are able? auto or manual shouldn't matter. i miss half the game because of this. frustration
It definitely is available, check out the pre race assist settings. 🍻

1710488666443.png

I clearly read Manual Transmission down there, though cleary and white on white seems to be a bit mismatched.

I presume by manual you mean gearstick? It was banned half way through GT Sport because it was giving a massive unfair advantage over pad players and those using the paddles on their toy steering wheels in road cars and older race cars. It should still be legal in all the non-competitive modes.

There is or used to be a bug on the replays which would show AT for everybody regardless of what they were running.

Last edited:
I presume by manual you mean gearstick? It was banned half way through GT Sport because it was giving a massive unfair advantage over pad players and those using the paddles on their toy steering wheels in road cars and older race cars. It should still be legal in all the non-competitive modes.

There is or used to be a bug on the replays which would show AT for everybody regardless of what they were running.
Oh, this is interesting.
What is the advantage of gearstick?

Oh, this is interesting.
I play on pad so am just guessing but I think it's something to do with having a manual clutch as Famine alluded to. That means you can change gears a lot faster with certain cars than you could possibly get with the automatic one when you're only doing the gears not the clutch. I remember doing a lobby race on GT Sport in I think it was the Impreza 22B and losing at least a tenth on every upshift compared to somebody who was driving with the wheel/shifter.

I play on pad so am just guessing but I think it's something to do with having a manual clutch as Famine alluded to. That means you can change gears a lot faster with certain cars than you could possibly get with the automatic one when you're only doing the gears not the clutch. I remember doing a lobby race on GT Sport in I think it was the Impreza 22B and losing at least a tenth on every upshift compared to somebody who was driving with the wheel/shifter.
Wow never knew you were on a pad… I’ve seen you on some streams before and you’re are crazy fast!

Thanks but there are a lot faster on pad out there than I am!
Bro I watched you I think yesterday or two days ago at Monza on Rory stream and you were driving like you were possessed!!! The passes you were doing were insane and clean! I will show my group your videos to show them how fast you can be on the controller! Keep it going bro!

Outstanding because appearing on other peoples streams.
Just accept that you are a beacon of hope now that you have yelled into the world to be a padplayer 😜
This is real talk! I use a wheel TGT-II but I want no smoke with that man he is crazy fast on that controller!

It's odd to think that literally moving an H pattern stick - even if not using the clutch - say, for example, three inches ( ~7.6 cm) total to go from 2nd to 3rd gear is somehow faster than hitting a button/switch (whether on a pad or paddle on a wheel). There's a reason basically all race cars these days (and most high performance street cars for that matter) use paddles vs having three pedals (which is a royal bummer IMO).

The only way I could see using an H pattern as an advantage is for the cars in the game where it's actually faster to skip a gear, like the McLaren MP4 or Radical (as I recall from their respective TTs). This could be mitigated by requiring a clutch in command to change gears at all. It does this already, as if you miss a shift or don't get the clutch in/out quick enough the gear indicator will show a # and the car won't accelerate anymore until you put the clutch back in, get the car out of gear, then back in gear, then clutch out. Or maybe it's a downshift thing by not having to descend gear by gear via button/paddle and can just go from 5th to 2nd in one shot?

There must be something wonky in the coding of the game. Which, for anyone who's spent five minutes playing, would come as no surprise. There's probably more to this than I am grasping or have experience with; I didn't play Sport mode on GT-Sp.

Or maybe it's a downshift thing by not having to descend gear by gear via button/paddle and can just go from 5th to 2nd in one shot?
I suspect this is exactly it. I did some goofing around with my lowly G923 shifter and found that GT7 doesn't punish you for going from 5th to 2nd in one shot. So I can see how downshifting recklessly and letting the engine rev-limiter slow you down would be a lot faster than descending gear by gear.

Oh, this is interesting.
Ok, I’ll try to keep this simple, and yes it still works in offline racing. In a car that has a manual H pattern gear box in game, there is always one shift that takes longer than the rest, typically 2nd gear to 3rd gear(when using AT or Paddles), it used to be longer between gears, by a fair bit, but PD sped up the shifts when the removed the shifters from sport mode.

So, here’s how it works, you put the stick in 3rd gear, and then proceed to drive using the paddles, except, when exiting slow corners, instead of using the paddle to shift from 2nd to 3rd, you just simply tap the clutch, and because the stick is already in 3rd gear, bam, insta shift. It was worth about .1-.3 every time you did it, so whole seconds over a single lap on certain combos. It wasn’t very well known, I was told about it by an alien friend. It’s hard to master, and not worth as much time as it used to be with the faster shifts now, but it’s still worth time over a lap, where and when it can still be used.

Last edited:
It's odd to think that literally moving an H pattern stick - even if not using the clutch - say, for example, three inches ( ~7.6 cm) total to go from 2nd to 3rd gear is somehow faster than hitting a button/switch (whether on a pad or paddle on a wheel). There's a reason basically all race cars these days (and most high performance street cars for that matter) use paddles vs having three pedals (which is a royal bummer IMO).

The only way I could see using an H pattern as an advantage is for the cars in the game where it's actually faster to skip a gear, like the McLaren MP4 or Radical (as I recall from their respective TTs). This could be mitigated by requiring a clutch in command to change gears at all. It does this already, as if you miss a shift or don't get the clutch in/out quick enough the gear indicator will show a # and the car won't accelerate anymore until you put the clutch back in, get the car out of gear, then back in gear, then clutch out. Or maybe it's a downshift thing by not having to descend gear by gear via button/paddle and can just go from 5th to 2nd in one shot?

There must be something wonky in the coding of the game. Which, for anyone who's spent five minutes playing, would come as no surprise. There's probably more to this than I am grasping or have experience with; I didn't play Sport mode on GT-Sp.
I mean it's pretty obvious, shifting with buttons has a delay intended to replicate the action of a manual transmission, but using a shifter it's possible to shift faster with a lot of cars, especially older H-pattern cars which have a much longer delay.

Idk…

After I did ~3 hours of GTWS on Wednesday, I spent an hour in my rig comparing/contrasting all of the 80’s-mid 90’s supercars I have…. all in stick, all in TT mode. This game is such an awesome sandbox!

I do wish that they’d allow H-Pattern in race A though. Honestly no clue why they don’t as it doesn’t count for anything besides SR

I mean it's pretty obvious, shifting with buttons has a delay intended to replicate the action of a manual transmission, but using a shifter it's possible to shift faster with a lot of cars, especially older H-pattern cars which have a much longer delay.
Naw, paddles are the fastest way to drive any car, and most reliable. The left foot braking alone gains more time than using a shifter could ever gain you back. The glitch shift trick was the only thing that made a shifter faster, and even that was only one shift out of the entire gearbox.

Ok, I’ll try to keep this simple, and yes it still works in offline racing. In a car that has a manual H pattern gear box in game, there is always one shift that takes longer than the rest, typically 2nd gear to 3rd gear(when using AT or Paddles), it used to be longer between gears, by a fair bit, but PD sped up the shifts when the removed the shifters from sport mode.

So, here’s how it works, you put the stick in 3rd gear, and then proceed to drive using the paddles, except, when exiting slow corners, instead of using the paddle to shift from 2nd to 3rd, you just simply tap the clutch, and because the stick is already in 3rd gear, bam, insta shift. It was worth about .1-.3 every time you did it, so whole seconds over a single lap on certain combos. It wasn’t very well known, I was told about it by an alien friend. It’s hard to master, and not worth as much time as it used to be with the faster shifts now, but it’s still worth time over a lap, where and when it can still be used.
Always wondered why the sticks were banned in Sport mode but never think of it at a time when I want to go searching for the explanation. It all makes sense now. Clever 🤣

Naw, paddles are the fastest way to drive any car, and most reliable. The left foot braking alone gains more time than using a shifter could ever gain you back. The glitch shift trick was the only thing that made a shifter faster, and even that was only one shift out of the entire gearbox.
I agree. I still prefer the h pattern personally, but I don't really race competitively anymore so I drive with what translates closest to what I run in real life, even if I'm givin up a bit here and there. I both left foot brake and use the clutch. On certain turns where you have a long braking area after the heel/toe I switch foot. In a short braking area I just stay on the brake with the right foot for a moment after the downshift.

They likely could have fixed the glitch by preventing the system from allowing you to swap input methods once entering. Once you touch the clutch, you're stuck clutching for every gear change. While there might still be an advantage upshifting in the older street cars that shift slowly in sequential, it could be offset by the consistency and precision required to not miss shifts, and properly match downshifts to prevent locking the drive axle. Now, the latter doesn't punish you much once you get into the faerie dust rubber compounds with SS+, but that's another discussion entirely.

Nonetheless, the easiest fix was to just disable the clutch, and I'm not sure I see that changing.

i meant "i cannot drive with automatic" meaning i cannot race my best USING and automatic. we are forced in sport to use it, no manual allowed.
Manual is allowed in Sport Mode.

If you can find the shift key for emphasis, you can use it where required too - the personal "I" pronoun, the start of sentences, and for appropriate proper nouns:

GTPlanet Acceptable Use Policy
* You will post all messages in English.
* You will not use “textspeak” (“r”, “u”, “plz”, etc.) in your messages. Decent grammar is expected at all times, including proper usage of capital letters.

That's.... still confusing. What exactly is the problem? Please be very specific.
simply i rely on engine braking during downshifts to add more stopping power to the brake pedal and also change the torque and turning of the car in a curve. also its a "feeling" type thing in muscle memory from real driving. compared with an automatic i lose that feeling and lose engine braking in a curve and miss many apexes and even slide out at times.

i wish manuals were allowed in the daily races

simply i rely on engine braking during downshifts to add more stopping power to the brake pedal and also change the torque and turning of the car in a curve. also its a "feeling" type thing in muscle memory from real driving. compared with an automatic i lose that feeling and lose engine braking in a curve and miss many apexes and even slide out at times.

As others have said:

YES, you can use the in-game manual transmission option in daily races.

NO, you can't use the clutch pedal and H-shifter of your real-life wheel setup on daily races.

You can only use the real-life flappy paddles with the in-game manual transmission setting.

Hope this helps.

Manual transmission IS allowed in Sport Mode. Why do you think it isn't?

So really, what they’d need to do to fix this glitch would be to disable either the stick or the paddles depending on which transmission type each car has?

But only if the game detects the presence of an H shifter of course.

Kinda complicated to solve this problem properly I suppose, so you can see why they didn’t do it.

The new PD motto: “if delivering the best experience for players involves a lot of effort, don’t bother”

@Famine

That acceptable usage policy, regarding spilling n grammer, might come across as discriminatory/exclusionary towards people with issues such as dyslexia or disadvantaged upbringings, don’t you think? As annoying as you may find it when people aren’t able to type very well, it may well cause a certain degree of embarrassment or shame pulling them up on it. Nobody’s perfect, after all.

Last edited:
Adding a delay to the shift that matches the real car could be done. If a car takes 0.5 seconds to shift and you shift in 0.2 the 0.3 could be added on to the 0.5 so your shift is longer than normal. If you shift bang on or after then it takes as long as you do it with no penalty. Over-revving on downshifts should lock the driven wheels.

Back